• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Reviews Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes | Review Thread

I read a couple reviews, but didn’t see any details on New Game+ or any post-game content. Do we have any such info?
This. I want to know if there's anything postgame and mostly no review mentioned it

Anyway, I'm really happy for people getting excited for a musou, as a long tme fan of the franchise we rearely get this hype for players that normally don't play this genre

Their original Fire Emblem Warriors review was terrible. I’m not one to disparage a publication for giving a bad score, but it was blatantly clear that they didn’t e have with the game at all.

Their reviews on musous are especially horrific. They seem completely untaught when it comes to juding that genre in an appropriate manner, cannot emphasize that any further.
Ah, yes, I remember. Well, there's no need to give it any further thought, then.

I’ve accepted that I’m not going to be able to get through Silver Snow within the next 3 days, so I’m just gonna do Crimson Flower instead. Is there anything Silver Snow reveals that I can’t already infer from support conversations with Seteth, Flayn and Alois, as well as what was revealed in the DLC?

I’m so conflicted on this game. I struggled to get into Age of Calamity, but I think I’d enjoy this more since I just want an excuse to see these characters again.

Should probably give the demo a try.

Warriors games will always be divisive for their gameplay (publications have derided them as boring for decades) and surprised that there's not more fatigue on them as there do seem to be a lot of them now, but glad that there's some comparison of the Hyrule Warriors > AoC jump being spoken of here. Looking forward to jumping into it.

Wow, glowing!

I'll probably skip the game, but happy to see hype nevertheless.

Oh for anyone who missed it, the jars show up on the pause map screen. There’s ones for materials(blue), money(red), health(green), special attack meter charge(yellow) and durability(purple)

Well, good to know it could be pretty good. I wanted to buy it day 1 but I haven't finished my Xenoblade replays (which I started in late April), so I'll wait for a lower price.

I also hope for the innevitable DLC that they make something more relevant. I was very dissapoint with AoC's dlc, and even for the other musou games incluiding their main ones the DLC has been very poor. I'm not expecting something on level with the first HW o FEW, but this game screams an "Empire Mode" with all the map of fodlan available to conquer

What the hell

I’m surprised. Going to buy this one at a softer price. But jeez, Nintendo X Musou seems to be a good combo for Tecmo Koei

What the hell

I’m surprised. Going to buy this one at a softer price. But jeez, Nintendo X Musou seems to be a good combo for Tecmo Koei
Koei Tecmo really seems to have hit gold with their more recent takes on the Musou crossover. AoC, P5S, and now Three Hopes have all been pretty major successes for the formula. The main design change seems to be taking more from a single source game and implementing more gameplay elements from the source, and it seems to be working out pretty well so far.

Koei Tecmo really seems to have hit gold with their more recent takes on the Musou crossover. AoC, P5S, and now Three Hopes have all been pretty major successes for the formula. The main design change seems to be taking more from a single source game and implementing more gameplay elements from the source, and it seems to be working out pretty well so far.
Adds some good variety too

Yeah. I have no idea how this new approach is received by the general Musou fan base, but as someone who only ever really got into the "Nintendo Musous", I vastly prefer it to their less focused attempts with the original HW/FEW.

That is also the reason I like the idea of Xenoblade Warriors a lot more than I would probably like the execution.

Yeah. I have no idea how this new approach is received by the general Musou fan base, but as someone who only ever really got into the "Nintendo Musous", I vastly prefer it to their less focused attempts with the original HW/FEW.

That is also the reason I like the idea of Xenoblade Warriors a lot more than I would probably like the execution.
Yeah I've been thinking about that too, since Xenoblade Warriors almost necessitates the more traditional Musou crossover approach, and you can't really get as in-depth with that as with the more recent focused approach.

I suppose they could do Xenoblade 3 Warriors though (the cast certainly seems big enough)

Not gonna lie, I absolutely hated the demo and I fail to understand why it scores this high compared to other musous. Some of the reviews praised the story and the characters and that's the part that lost me. FE Three Houses had by far the worst characters and story of any FE and those three house heads are absolutely the stupidest JRPG characters ever created (I despise Dimitri with a passion). Story and characters have never been FE's strongest suit but 3H was the lowest point imo. And Three Hopes is nothing more than "more of the same". I'm really shocked to find out that I'm the only one who thinks this way.

Anyway, Gust is coming to save us from this horrible school setting. Our toothpaste queen and her elderly knights who are definitely not classroom brats will fix this, I'm sure.

Not gonna lie, I absolutely hated the demo and I fail to understand why it scores this high compared to other musous. Some of the reviews praised the story and the characters and that's the part that lost me. FE Three Houses had by far the worst characters and story of any FE and those three house heads are absolutely the stupidest JRPG characters ever created (I despise Dimitri with a passion). Story and characters have never been FE's strongest suit but 3H was the lowest point imo. And Three Hopes is nothing more than "more of the same". I'm really shocked to find out that I'm the only one who thinks this way.

Anyway, Gust is coming to save us from this horrible school setting. Our toothpaste queen and her elderly knights who are definitely not classroom brats will fix this, I'm sure.
Isn't this game basically fan service for those who enjoyed Three Houses? Of course you're not going to enjoy it, based on this.

Isn't this game basically fan service for those who enjoyed Three Houses? Of course you're not going to enjoy it, based on this.
I'm a big fan of musous, though. I want to wash away the bitter taste in my mouth that Touken Ranbu has left.

That's the biggest reason why I don't want it to happen. FEW was the low point of Nintendo branded Warriors so far and there's also the fact that some Nintendo fans are already complaining about there being too much Fire Emblem and Xenoblade. I really don't want Nintendo and MonolithSoft to waste time on a game that won't do much for the Xenoblade IP and bring on more complaints of them milking the series. I hope that any spin-off they do is worth the effort, and they don't do it just because they want another IP to use for Nintendo x Warriors.

It's hard to imagine how a Xenoblade Chronicles Warriors would work anyway outside of a fanservice game like the original Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors. There isn't really anything that a focused Warriors game could explore. I guess the closest thing would be the war between the Homs and the Mechon at the start of Xenoblade Chronicles, but that really isn't interesting enough to make an entire game about. I guess it's possible we see something interesting come out of Xenoblade Chronicles 3's story that could get the Warriors treatment, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

If the Warriors IP isn't put on hold for a bit, my money would go towards Pokémon Warriors as their next title. Doubt Nintendo has much desire to return to the fanservice format.

As a long time fan since DW1 ( and yes, I mean the fighting game) it's been great how they have evolved the genre over 22 years and I totally believe KT , and Omega Foce specially, has benefitted with the Nintendo collaborations. In the end the item selection from HW would become the R1 action menu now present in all of the games. Anything that helps more people getting interested in musou is a win

That's the biggest reason why I don't want it to happen. FEW was the low point of Nintendo branded Warriors so far and there's also the fact that some Nintendo fans are already complaining about there being too much Fire Emblem and Xenoblade. I really don't want Nintendo and MonolithSoft to waste time on a game that won't do much for the Xenoblade IP and bring on more complaints of them milking the series. I hope that any spin-off they do is worth the effort, and they don't do it just because they want another IP to use for Nintendo x Warriors.
Omega Force is talentful enough to make a great spin-off game that isnt a Musou, it isnt that I dont like Musous but I dont think they fit Xenoblade as well as they do FE. Omega Force could make some action game spin-off based on Xenoblade world in collaboration with Monolith Soft instead of a Musou.

Last edited:
Cool to see good reviews for it. Honestly didn’t think I’d ever be convinced to buy a Musou game, but I can’t say no to what is essentially an expansion on the world and characters in one of my favourite games ever in Three Houses.

Juggling this, Disco Elysium, and Xenoblade when that comes out is going to be a struggle if this is as long as it sounds. Might just have to settle for doing Black Eagles first and coming back to it later.

Omega Force is talentful enough to make a great spin-off game that isnt a Musou, it isnt that I dont like Musous but I dont think they fit Xenoblade as well as they do FE. Omega Force could make some action game spin-off based on Xenoblade world in collaboration with Monolith Soft instead of a Musou.
FInally.,the chance to have a spiritual succesor to Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll

They also did Toukiden, a fast paced alternative to Monster Hunter. A Xenoblade themed Toukiden might be what you're looking for. I know I'd love a monster hunting Xeno spinoff.

They also did Toukiden, a fast paced alternative to Monster Hunter. A Xenoblade themed Toukiden might be what you're looking for. I know I'd love a monster hunting Xeno spinoff.
That would be a great idea and Xenoblade 1 maps really are fit in most cases for a MH like style of game, so they could re-use them if needed.

Also they worked on DQB2, but I think they mostly handled the combat part.

If anyone is curious, the game seems like it may leak very soon, so be prepared to flee

I just want the music. The datamined tracks were phenomenal, and I desperately want to hear the full version of Chasing Daybreak.

FE Three Houses had by far the worst characters and story of any FE and those three house heads are absolutely the stupidest JRPG characters ever created
Reported

(I despise Dimitri with a passion)
And blocked 🔨

Eh, I didn't think it was too bad. I consider my "threshold of bs" has come way down over the years and for the most part I liked Three Houses characters, even if some lean too much into their gimmick. (Note: I went Blue Lions route and liked it OK, though I didn't finish the playthru). As a comparison point, from what I experienced of Xenoblade Chronicles, I don't consider the 3H cast as any "worse" than that crew.

I def consider them better written then many of the characters of FE past tho, I don't know how that could be debated tbh. I'm thinking of for instance the majority of characters from FE7, 8 and Awakening (I bring those up since I haven't played the other titles) where much less attention is given to the backstory and motivations of the majority of the cast.

That said, perhaps the lack of fleshing-out of those characters from those earlier entries ends up a net positive? Fires up the imagination to fill in the blanks vs well-intentioned but ultimately poor characterization? :)

Anyway, I am tempted to at least check out the demo and I'm diggin the overall production aspect of Three Hopes. Brief experiences w/ the og FW, HW and Age of Calamity just haven't clicked w/ me gameplay-wise tho.

Reported

And blocked 🔨

Eh, I didn't think it was too bad. I consider my "threshold of bs" has come way down over the years and for the most part I liked Three Houses characters, even if some lean too much into their gimmick. (Note: I went Blue Lions route and liked it OK, though I didn't finish the playthru). As a comparison point, from what I experienced of Xenoblade Chronicles, I don't consider the 3H cast as any "worse" than that crew.

I def consider them better written then many of the characters of FE past tho, I don't know how that could be debated tbh. I'm thinking of for instance the majority of characters from FE7, 8 and Awakening (I bring those up since I haven't played the other titles) where much less attention is given to the backstory and motivations of the majority of the cast.

That said, perhaps the lack of fleshing-out of those characters from those earlier entries ends up a net positive? Fires up the imagination to fill in the blanks vs well-intentioned but ultimately poor characterization? :)

Anyway, I am tempted to at least check out the demo and I'm diggin the overall production aspect of Three Hopes. Brief experiences w/ the og FW, HW and Age of Calamity just haven't clicked w/ me gameplay-wise tho.
I feel like 3H's cast blows XC1's out of the water, though that's mostly on XC1's weaker cast. Though I'm also a huge fan of 3H's characters' in general, they're pretty deep for a JRPG, especially considering the size of the cast

The school setting messes up everything, imo. They tried to "humanize" the characters in a strange way (same way Sega did with valkyrie series) but failed and they couldn't go far than being walking anime troupes (Dimitri is annoyingly an Uchiha from Naruto and that's the main reason I hate him). The old Fe games, the ones before Awakening, had characters basically cardboard cutout dummies whose main purpose is being a murderous soldiers in the battlefield, giving the games perfect militaristic feel.

At least they could have brought back the rabbit people from Awakening. Panne had as much emotion as a T-800 Terminator did.

Well, I dived deep into 4chan the deepest depths of hell and got to listen to the soundtrack. Don't recommend searching for it if you want to stay unspoiled though, there's definitely leaks floating about.

Music is fantastic though, so that's cool.

The original Fire Emblem Warriors underwhelmed me a little bit, particularly compared to the original Hyrule Warriors which I thought was a fantastic fan-service game with never ending content. After Age of Calamity and these glowing reviews, I am super hyped for this game especially since it focuses on Three Houses specifically, since that has my favorite cast out of any Fire Emblem I've played (basically Awakening onwards).

I really, really like this trend of new musou games (HWAOC, P5S, FEWTH) getting their theme from one game which allows for more focus and actual story content between characters, whether an alternate reality take like Age of Calamity and this game, or a sequel like P5S (I think? I never played that one), whereas the original HW and FEW were more just nonsense fan service, which is fine when it excels in that but can be less exciting when it doesn't go all out.

Anyways I am very excited to play this game on Friday!

For yet another warriors entry the score is suprisingly solid. I really wish we have the Switch 2/Pro to address the performance issues, because I would really love to play these at 60 wiith a solid IQ.

they couldn't go far than being walking anime troupes
I agree w/ that. Tho most resulting characters didn't bother me, not even the most "egregiously tropey" chars like a Bernadetta. This is an anime-styled JRPG and while I have to admit my anime exposure is way down these days, I have the notion that the "tropeyness" can be presented so much worse.

The old Fe games, the ones before Awakening, had characters basically cardboard cutout dummies
Yup, and I can see the appeal of that. I just look at how popular a lot of the old characters from FE past are individually when I was playing Heroes. Sometimes a very crystallized characterization (if the character even got that) can be appealing, especially when not a lot of time is meant to be spent w/ those characters individually on a personal level. I'm thinking e.g. Frederick or Tharja from awakening, very one-note but beloved characters.

Most of the FE pantheon aren't even crystallized characters; Pre-relationship systems, they are as you say straight-up cardboard. I don't think thats the way to go for this series tho, I encourage them to develop better (and more diverse) characters. Hopefully Toothpaste's game will show a notable step forward.

===

Heyyyy, John from Digital Foundry dropped a gift today!

Back
Top Bottom