• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes demo out now + new "Awakened Rivals" trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel the game is about
a retelling of Three Houses when Shez survives and meets the Lords instead of Byleth. In the Three Houses timeline he was killed by Byleth
and looking at the current story because
Byleth doesn't become a professor, Jeritza is able to become one. Which was needed to save Monica from TWSITD. Meaning the whole of Remire Village doesn't happen I guess

Haven't finished the demo yet so part of this is also speculation :)

Anyway, the game has exceeded my expectations for now and I am def getting it including the Collectors Edition. I like Shez (Add Shez to Smash Bros pls.) also more than Byleth but perhaps that is because of the fact they have more personality. Byleth speaking in this game is also amazing. I hope they do a late update for FE3H with some characters to add to that game as well (probably not) :p.

Last thing: the music is amazing.

it can't just be a simple retelling/what if scenario though, can it? Because (as far as I recall, correct me if I'm wrong) Byleth wasn't super powerful at this point in the original game and wasn't ever known as the Ashen Demon either, so whatever fork in the timeline we're looking at, it would've happened earlier, right?

it can't just be a simple retelling/what if scenario though, can it? Because (as far as I recall, correct me if I'm wrong) Byleth wasn't super powerful at this point in the original game and wasn't ever known as the Ashen Demon either, so whatever fork in the timeline we're looking at, it would've happened earlier, right?
The Ashen Demon is an established title for Byleth in Three Houses, and they were known as a famous and powerful mercenary before the game's starts. That's part of the reason the Monastery is interested in him

Seems pretty clear to me that the divergence point is meant to be Arval saving Shez (or maybe Arval's existence in general)

The Ashen Demon is an established title for Byleth in Three Houses, and they were known as a famous and powerful mercenary before the game's starts. That's part of the reason the Monastery is interested in him

Seems pretty clear to me that the divergence point is meant to be Arval saving Shez (or maybe Arval's existence in general)
dang, guess it's been too long since I played Three Houses haha. That actually makes the story of this one more interesting to me as I thought it was going to be even more removed from the original

I tried it but it really isn't for me :/
It's better than I thought and I liked a lot of things in the demo, but I really can't play a game with a gameplay like this...
I LOVED the fact that there is the perma-death option.

The story interests me so I'll probably watch someone playing it.
Also it was good to finally see my beloved Blue Lions again💙

Shez and Arval made me Sad...

Sothis should have apeard more on 3H.

I hope there is an special Byleth rote so we can have Sothis.

I really appreciate how this game introduces characters who were only mentioned in Three Houses. It really feels like a companion piece that any Three Houses fan should play.

This demo is all the way to chapter 4?

I feel like I’ve fought three whole battles and still prologue lol

Quoted by: em
Are supports not available in this demo? Or do they get locked after a certain chapter? I got Hubert and Edelgard's C support but it's not doing anything when I click on it.

Are supports not available in this demo? Or do they get locked after a certain chapter? I got Hubert and Edelgard's C support but it's not doing anything when I click on it.
I was confused at first too, but when you the support menu, you can see which (C/B/A) Supports have a dialogue icon above them. Only those that have that icon, have a support talk added into it.
The iconless ones are just a bonus for in-battle stuff I think!

Seeing the map section, this have great potential for an "empires" style of game if they'd decide to make a DLC

This game just casually drops a lot of side lore for Three Houses. Off the top of my head, some interesting tidbits from the Blue Lions demo:

Duscur has its own language, Rodrigue has a wife (unknown if Felix's mother or stepmother), Dimitri survived several assassinations before he came to Garreg Mach, Fraldarius territory has a big port/sea town, Count Kleiman was involved with framing Duscur so they could take big chunks of Duscur territory

There's a lot of versatily here with the unique actions of each character. For example Lysithea cursed expulsion works very well with pyshical classes as they are faster than the magic attacks and the explosion damage and attraction keeps the combo going

There's a lot of versatily here with the unique actions of each character. For example Lysithea cursed expulsion works very well with pyshical classes as they are faster than the magic attacks and the explosion damage and attraction keeps the combo going

Huh, damn that looks fun. Haven't actually tried a gauntlet class yet, I should put someone on that.

Despite my preference for Blue Lions as characters, their unique abilities feel kinda...meh? A lot of general passive stuff and not enough fun shenanigans like the "delayed explosion" type abilities. Plus everyone is disappointingly well-adjusted and well, that's kinda boring for a House that's built on "these guys look normal on the surface but boy are they secretly just walking bags of trauma". Because when you take away the trauma, you're just left with a generic group of anime kids. So, long story short I might have to switch off my beloved Blue Lions. Maybe I'll give Edelgard a shot? Dimitri will probably be the funnest House leader to actually play in their unique class (Axes feel pretty slow in this game, and god Bows feel awful), but the rest of his group is less interesting than a lot of their counterparts in other houses. Maybe that's intentional? Blue Lions is kinda positioned as the "normal" house, and while that's subverted in Houses that doesn't seem to be the case in Hopes.

Overall, the game is starting to grow on me. Still think it's a bit less polished and interesting overall than Age of Calamity, but it's solid in its own right and the more in-depth tactical elements are nice. Hard mode is a nice challenge too. Still not sure I'd choose it over Sunbreak (we'll probably see if and when Sunbreak gets its rumored demo), but I'm more divided on the matter than I was yesterday

Also, do a lot of the classes feel rather samey to others? A lot of them seem to have the same general combos of "multi-front hit attack", "spin to win", "dual hit frontal attack". Compared to how much more varied AoC felt it's a bit disappointing how similar some of these guys feel. Maybe Age of Calamity just gave me too high of an expectation for the genre as my first title in it?

Regarding game design or tech? I'd agree, to an extent at least, on the former, but less so on the latter.
Yeah, speaking to game design, though I'm framerate blind enough that I wasn't bothered by AoC's performance anyways. Three Hopes technically performs better but tbh Age of Calamity still felt weirdly smoother to me. Maybe that's just the benefit of distance though, it's been a while since I've played AoC

AoC had a smoother combat flow overall (framerate aside), clearer UI, better presentation in general imo. Plus the Shiekah Slate runes were a better and more versatile addition, imo, than combat arts in this game. Though I guess part of that is that AoC was designed less like a typical Musuo with a different camera angle, fewer enemies, different approach to combat. And I think that style worked better for me personally, even though I think the more classical style seen in this game is still good.

Overall, the game is starting to grow on me. Still think it's a bit less polished and interesting overall than Age of Calamity, but it's solid in its own right and the more in-depth tactical elements are nice. Hard mode is a nice challenge too. Still not sure I'd choose it over Sunbreak (we'll probably see if and when Sunbreak gets its rumored demo), but I'm more divided on the matter than I was yesterday

Regarding game design or tech? I'd agree, to an extent at least, on the former, but less so on the latter.
Pretty sure about game design as with performance there is no comparison. The thing with AoC is that it was supervised by the Zelda team to match as much as possible a similar experience to BoW, that's why it feels more in line with actions and creativity of movesets than the other warriors games.

Also, do a lot of the classes feel rather samey to others? A lot of them seem to have the same general combos of "multi-front hit attack", "spin to win", "dual hit frontal attack". Compared to how much more varied AoC felt it's a bit disappointing how similar some of these guys feel. Maybe Age of Calamity just gave me too high of an expectation for the genre as my first title in it?
The bolded is pretty much the basis of the warriors games. The combo string usually follows an order no matter the moveset, so you will always have something like C1 > launcher, C2 > area attack. C3 > Combo Attack, C4 > Strong area attack and so on. The important part here is to learn how and when to use the combos since every moveset will have different timing and reset animation times and how to use the unique class actions and unique skills of the characters to keep the action going

The bolded is pretty much the basis of the warriors games. The combo string usually follows an order no matter the moveset, so you will always have something like C1 > launcher, C2 > area attack. C3 > Combo Attack, C4 > Strong area attack and so on. The important part here is to learn how and when to use the combos since every moveset will have different timing and reset animation times and how to use the unique class actions and unique skills of the characters to keep the action going
Hm, I guess either AoC was different enough or at least disguised itself well enough that I didn't notice the similarities between movesets

Yeah the unique class actions and character skills do spice it up, which is part of why I feel like maybe it was a bad choice to go Blue Lions with their mostly vanilla character skills.

Hm, I guess either AoC was different enough or at least disguised itself well enough that I didn't notice the similarities between movesets

Yeah the unique class actions and character skills do spice it up, which is part of why I feel like maybe it was a bad choice to go Blue Lions with their mostly vanilla character skills.
AoC it's an exception to this, as they did make sure for everyone to be unique (as its a smaller cast), but generally all the characters had a launcher attack, just in a different order

I liked what I played. Went F!Shez, F!Byleth and Black Eagles and did the prologue plus two battles in Ch. 4. I really like how this seems to incorporate most major mechanics from the mainline game. Feels sufficiently different from Age of Calamity as well, most notably due to the fact that you have to give orders very early on. Don't know if I will get it at launch but the demo sold me on the game.

I bought Age of Calamity based on the strength of the demo and enjoyed it (framerate aside). It felt like a ground-up Zelda-as-a-Musou. The more I play of Three Hopes, though, the more it feels like the old Dynasty Warriors that I’m kinda bored of, just FE:3H themed. Part of that is the graphics, environments, and UI being closer to traditional Dynasty Warriors, but also the mission structure being more traditional DW as well.

Does the demo include the Japanese voices?
Yes.

Oh damn, I’m enjoying this way more than any of the other Nintendo Musou’s I’ve played.

It’s just pure Three Houses fan service, and I am in for it. Im such a mark I even got hyped just actually seeing
the real Monica, and Linhardt and Casper’s fathers

I bought Age of Calamity based on the strength of the demo and enjoyed it (framerate aside). It felt like a ground-up Zelda-as-a-Musou. The more I play of Three Hopes, though, the more it feels like the old Dynasty Warriors that I’m kinda bored of, just FE:3H themed. Part of that is the graphics, environments, and UI being closer to traditional Dynasty Warriors, but also the mission structure being more traditional DW as well.

Yes.
Dynasty Warrior graphics and environments are not anywhere close to being like this.

I’ve played like 3 minutes of this demo and I know I’m going to buy this lol. Omg just hearing this Fire Emblem Three Houses music is too strong for me. I just finished AoC to get myself in the mood. I enjoy this gameplay a lot

One thing I did noticed is that the UI is very big and spreaded out. I kinda see it they want to avoid having some elements to small when playing portable, but coming from both SW5 and Touken Ranbu where the UI is super clean and big, and even comparing it to FEW, it could have been better (granted you can turn off some things in the settings but the distribution overall could be better)

For comparison

FEW
XFypKoa.jpg

SW5
dCsVbGt.jpg

TRW
22Duxdy.png

Guess now I know what I'll be using my remaining NSO voucher on. Liked the demo a lot in the end, and as a Three Houses fan I felt right at home. It's good to be back with the cast and setting!

Just tried other classes and my advise is really not to pay attention to the game sugestions and try different combinations, as they unique characters actions change a lot the way the class plays. Changed Hilda from Brigand to Armored Knight and it's class action is a shield bash to the ground with a huge AoE which is great for area control (and creates a barrier when you max the effects bar), and while it sends the enemies flying away Hilda's unique action attracts them again so it doesn't matter if its slower as you are bringing the enemies to you

FEWTH datamining has confirmed
poaching is back and varies by route. There’s also some route exclusive and agnostic recruitables

Glad that there was a demo. It’s…fine? Three Houses is honestly one of my favorite games ever, but I think I’ll probably pass on this one. The core gameplay is just too repetitive for me to want to spend more than maybe 15 hours in here. I’ll probably end up getting it used one day for like $25.

Tried the demo, finding the story interesting and the performance isn't a deal-breaker for me unlike AoC. Will probably pick this up at some point, maybe not at launch though.

Billy Kametz, the English voice of Ferdinand in Fire Emblem Three Houses and Three Hopes, has passed away at 35. He had stage 4 colon cancer, and this link has the most recent update.

Such a talented person gone way too soon. RIP.

Billy Kametz, the English voice of Ferdinand in Fire Emblem Three Houses and Three Hopes, has passed away at 35. He had stage 4 colon cancer, and this link has the most recent update.

Brutal. His was one of my favorite performances in Three Houses. RIP.

Really sad to hear about Billy. I'm glad he was able to voice Ferdinand one last time. Gonna try to do all his supports when three hopes comes out.

This really sucks, his performance in Three Houses is amazing. I can’t even look at a picture of Ferdinand without hearing the words ‘I am Ferdinand von Aegir’.

Fuck cancer. Rest In Peace Billy.

Really sad to hear about Billy. Two games I'm playing at the moment (this demo and Triangle Strategy) he has stellar performances in. I'm so glad he got to voice Ferdie one last time, but he went way too soon.

As someone who lost a godfather from cancer this year, I say this with my whole chest: FUCK CANCER.

This was awful to hear. Might be rough to play Three Hopes knowing it was one of his last roles.

I'm really enjoying the demo. Performance is a lot better than AoC. Clearly the gameplay isn't for everyone but I find the combat quite exhilarating in its own way.

I think there are four battles, i.e., including the prologues.
Yes, I think it means that. Not prologue and three chapters, but three chapters from the prologue and the one after the time skip.

That's really sad to hear about Ferdinand's VA. My condolences to his loved ones.

Said it in the General Discussion thread but it always bears repeating: fuck cancer.

Hearing about Billy has brought the mood down. It really speaks to how beloved he and the other voice actors are to these games. About the game, though, the demo has made me really excited for the release. Warriors gameplay obviously doesn't appeal to everyone but I think they have been doing great recently as side stories/sequels. Like, a true sequel to 3H probably wouldn't make sense, but this kind of thing is a great way to revisit the world and characters we have come to love.

This demo is amazing and the game looks great!! Definitely an improvement over Three Houses tbh. And I have yet to play it docked!

Story is very interesting and seeing the characters again is soooooo great!!

Chose the Black Eagle as my first route. I have yet to finish that route on Three Houses though (only finished Golden Deer).

Can't wait to see how the next mainline FE looks!!

Hey this whips ass so far. I've already encountered unique banter when assigning characters to chores at base, and when teaming them as adjutants in battle.

I love Monica.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom