• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Fire Emblem Engage — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dunno, Jagens recently don't tend to die off early but rather be permanent benchwarmers in your barracks.

Struggling to think of who takes that role more recently. In PoR/RD it was Titania, but she’s relevant all the way through. I tend to look to the beast kings in RD as the units that are very powerful and best to leave on the bench (although I usually just leave the Laguz on the bench as they can’t use the relic weapons later on anyway).

In Awakening, who takes that role?

In Fates, I guess you’ve got Gunter as a Great Knight in that role, although I always forget him precisely because I left him on the bench a lot- he soaks up hits but I also found he felt comparatively weak very quickly compared to, say, Seth or Titania. I guess you’ve also got Xander/Ryoma but the latter feels different due to being a swordmaster with all the vulnerabilities of lower armour if the enemy does keep targeting him.

In Three Houses, you don’t really have them either. Almost feels nostalgic to see such a character in the early game again, or at least one that seems designed to be considerably older than the others at the very start of the game, but that might be because I find Gunter so hard to remember, even though I liked his lines as Corrin’s weary retainer!

Reminds me of when I first played FE games and had no idea I shouldn’t be letting Jagen and Seth do all the fighting so that the young lord can power up instead :D

Last edited:

Another new tweet that I missed. Vander talking to female Alear. Nothing too crazy, although the small chunk of music we get to hear sounds amazing.

They really should try to improve the beards, that "hair" works for the head hair, but the beard just looks dreadful.

Struggling to think of who takes that role more recently. In PoR/RD it was Titania, but she’s relevant all the way through. I tend to look to the beast kings in RD as the units that are very powerful and best to leave on the bench (although I usually just leave the Laguz on the bench as they can’t use the relic weapons later on anyway).

In Awakening, who takes that role?
Frederick is the jaigen of awakening

Feels like Vander's name was supposed to be Vandré? I wonder why they changed that. It's not like they shied away from the French origin of the other names. Although with Vander being of Greek origin and the continent's name being Elyos they might have had a reason.

Alear is also a curious change to me. In Japanese it's リュール/Lueur which is French for glow, but it also has the jap. spelling of dragon in it (リュー). Obviously they can't just use the Japanese one, but I am confused about Alear and I wonder if it has something to do with King Lear. Well, he did compare himself to a dragon at one point ...

Oh of course. Yeah I think like Gunter I probably stuck him on the reserves bench which is why I can’t remember them :D

Doesn't Gunter actually "die" early on? It's been years since i played the Fates storylines, but i think he's canonically dead in 2 of them and only returns in Revelations?

The animations look so good it actually makes me a bit sad that Three Houses didn't get this level of polish lol

Give me this. Give me Three Houses with this technical improvements, but keep the OG artstyle.

E: Just be clear, i want the new one, too.

Last edited:
Doesn't Gunter actually "die" early on? It's been years since i played the Fates storylines, but i think he's canonically dead in 2 of them and only returns in Revelations?
Yeah that rings a bell, I played all three campaigns back to back

No
He's a late game unit in conquest and I think he's a boss in birthright

A late game Jagen, now that was something new.

If i had more time, i would replay Fates ... though if i had more time i would actually clear the recent released stuff from the backlog.

Does everyone else play with the animations on? I've been skipping/disabling them after the first hour or so of each game, ever since FE7.
Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are some of my favorite games ever.

I think I’ve only seen the forced animations that the game doesn’t let you skip lol. I honestly turned them off during the prologue cause they took too long. And never turned them on, I really don’t know what 99.9% of them are. Except the Black Knight, slowest animation ever.

As for that. I have them on for every other title. Compared to PoR and RD, all the 3DS and GBA games are super fast and slick. Three Houses I had them on longer then expected. They weren’t as slow but I turned them off after a while.

Does everyone else play with the animations on? I've been skipping/disabling them after the first hour or so of each game, ever since FE7.
Yeah I’m much the same, ever since Path of Radiance (as the combat looked terrible to me compared to the GBA games).

It probably started earlier; they likely didn't need a full team for DLC. Plus, the concept seems to have arisen for the idea for an anniversary game.

Though perhaps early 2020 is right for 'full production' beginning, I dunno.

If the rumors that it was going to be a 30th anniversary game are true, I would guess it could have started development in 2019 with a goal of releasing in 2021.
Yea thanks guys, definitely did feel like the game was intended for earlier. Covid really did a number to all the projects out there.

Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are some of my favorite games ever.

I think I’ve only seen the forced animations that the game doesn’t let you skip lol. I honestly turned them off during the prologue cause they took too long. And never turned them on, I really don’t know what 99.9% of them are. Except the Black Knight, slowest animation ever.
Those 2 are my fav. But I do let his animation run because I love his theme lol

I usually keep them on, assuming they don't take forever. I only ever really turn them off in the late game because the maps can take a while to go through

I leave animations on but might speed them up or skip them if a map is getting boring. I'm not usually in a rush.

I've always kept them on. It's just not as fun to me without them.

I don't think this game was ever invented to release in 2021. iirc, Emily said the game was content complete in August 2021 and finished polishing and testing in February 2022. Of course, it's possible that Covid pushed it back a bit so who knows.

Emily also said that the game started development months before 3H even released, so that that should give a decent timeliness of how long this game was in development for. Started in at least early 2019, I'm guessing.

Loving the game this game looks. Then again, I am a big fan of the visual identity of GUST. Not sure why so many in the west have against anime, but I love anime and am not ashamed. But I guess I can see sorta relate, because I find that most modern American cartoons look the same no matter how much everyone tells me they do not lol

Also, am I the only one that loved the art style for Three Houses? I loved the character designs in that game.

Loving the game this game looks. Then again, I am a big fan of the visual identity of GUST. Not sure why so many in the west have against anime, but I love anime and am not ashamed. But I guess I can see sorta relate, because I find that most modern American cartoons look the same no matter how much everyone tells me they do not lol

Also, am I the only one that loved the art style for Three Houses? I loved the character designs in that game.
I love the outfits in three houses in particular, less so the faces.

Did we ever get a confirmation that Gust has worked on this beyond the rumors?

Anyway first impression wasn't the strongest for me: the premise looked like a console version of FE Heroes, super fanservice with the main gimmick being able to summon famous FE heroes.

Upon a second look i can appreciate the technical aspects of this game: it looks much nicer than Three Houses, not just art style or colors (definitely looks more vibrant) but the aliasing is also reduced (thank god) and the animations look nicer.

Still waiting for more details about the story, the hub (or multiple hubs maybe?) but yeah i might play this.

this game looks really nice graphically

let's hope there's a japanese voice option because...woof

One thing I'm noticing after rewatching the trailer is that the devs are really pandering to casuals/new players. There's a lot of information to somewhat dumb down the attack screen that it just seems unnecessary. For instance if your player will attack twice instead of saying 10x2 it will say 10 and then 10 again.

There is just too much going on with the UI that it may do more harm than good.

Linear story? Towns and dungeons to explore? Weapon triangle back? I'm liking the sound of this game more and more.

Yeah the animations in the trailer look fantastic too. I was initially lukewarm on the concept but coming around now. I just hope the story isn't completely insane...

Do you think Male Corrin and Female Byleth will be an option at launch? Feels like a future update as costumes
I'd bet they do, along with a whole bevy of other dlc character options.

From Emily:

From what I understand, Nintendo was sitting on Fire Emblem Engage because they were still busy developing DLC for it. That was the main reason why Nintendo was sitting on a finished game for so long.

So that sounds like alotta dlc!

(Mixed feelings on that, personally)

I honestly doubt they're going to add more than those 12 rings (DLC not counted). From the trailer it looks like we are on a quest to collect all the rings and they have already been used a 1000 years ago, so they are known and we saw how the painting of legends had 12 heroes on it, so story-wise I doubt there are more and if there is a secret one it's probably not of a character that is "missing". I can imagine the reason why we need to collect all rings or should I say "Emblems" is because all of these in one place will activate the legendary "Fire Emblem" :p

I'm more interested on map design and gameplay balance than on art and story at the moment, 3H has a good lore and art but the map design is kind of lacking, I hope that Engange is a return to form on that regard. My biggest fear is small maps to appease Heroes fans, but in the trailer there is a fortress map that looks big enough.

I also don't mind returning to the classic classes system, locking each character into a specific class provides them with extra identity and allows the developers to craft better maps knowing what the player has available.

Slightly off-topic but still about FE, I just finished Edelgard's route from 3 Hopes, and I feel that story-wise the game goes from a great "what-if" scenario to something that seems kind of unfinished, the ending is pretty weak. Still a lot of fun, gameplay loop is more addicting than Age of Calamity and the story more engaging, everything else is better on AoC though.

Last edited:
I'd bet they do, along with a whole bevy of other dlc character options.

From Emily:

So that sounds like alotta dlc!

(Mixed feelings on that, personally)
Three Houses was the only Fire Emblem game where they didn’t have a lot of DLC.

But Fates, Awakening and Echoes had a ton of DLC. Everything cost more then the games itself. I’m expecting the same stuff like Awakening, old heroes from the past and Maps. Pretty lame stuff I feel.

Hopefully there’s a Cinder Shadows type dlc.

Three Houses was the only Fire Emblem game where they didn’t have a lot of DLC.

But Fates, Awakening and Echoes had a ton of DLC. Everything cost more then the games itself. I’m expecting the same stuff like Awakening, old heroes from the past and Maps. Pretty lame stuff I feel.

Hopefully there’s a Cinder Shadows type dlc.
3H had the same type of DLC as other Switch 1st party games like Xc2, Xc3, BotW... small waves of content and a final big update. And all of thisfor a better price than what the 3DS FE games did of course.

I don't expect Nintendo to suddenly step back to that unpopular model when their Season Pass DLC has been better received. I expect them to release challenge maps with new heroes and then a final short campaign, all for something around 30€.

3H had the same type of DLC as other Switch 1st party games like Xc2, Xc3, BotW... small waves of content and a final big update. And all of thisfor a better price than what the 3DS FE games did of course.

I don't expect Nintendo to suddenly step back to that unpopular model when their Season Pass DLC has been better received. I expect them to release challenge maps with new heroes and then a final short campaign, all for something around 30€.
Definitely going to be more emblems with returning characters, but I'm sure they can make those usable in the main campaign/on challenge maps/new story addition/however they want to do it.

Curious how many they will bring. I do think they would do Edelgard/Claude/Dimitri all 3 if we get anyone else from Fodlan. That game is the biggest and most recent one so I could see them being added.

I’m definitely expecting it in this case. But might be a more expansive season pass.

Actually. I just realized. It could be 2 season passes. That’s probably gonna be it. Only cause with the classic heroes stuff. It’s more to work with compared to Three Houses, tho they could’ve always added classic heroes there too I guess, nothing stopping them.

All and all, I guess we won’t need to wait much to hear about it. We usually get those details right before release nowadays.

One thing I'm noticing after rewatching the trailer is that the devs are really pandering to casuals/new players. There's a lot of information to somewhat dumb down the attack screen that it just seems unnecessary. For instance if your player will attack twice instead of saying 10x2 it will say 10 and then 10 again.

Presumably that particular change is because there will now be some instances where the first attack will change the enemy's status which would cause the second hit to do more damage. I assume that's why there are a couple instances where enemies are hit with a Xenoblade style "Break" animation

I'm a longtime fan of Fire Emblem and definitely no casual, but we need to stop acting as though any change made for stat readability is dumbing things down for the lowest common denominator. Especially in a case like this it's just the first trailer and it's possible the two damage values can be different depending on circumstances.

I'm a longtime fan of Fire Emblem and definitely no casual, but we need to stop acting as though any change made for stat readability is dumbing things down for the lowest common denominator. Especially in a case like this it's just the first trailer and it's possible the two damage values can be different depending on circumstances.
No. Not sure the line "we need to stop acting..." is necessary but If something seems like a dumbing down then I'm going to say it is. It's a discussion. It isn't inherently a bad thing. It's the way the info is presented that is my issue. There is clutter and I don't think many would disagree that the UI is lackluster at best.

For instance. Gamefreak tries to make things "simpler" with every gen. They now show which attack is effective and isn't incase you can't remember type weaknesses/strengths and it is presented in a good way that doesn't make the screen "loud." I'd say they are very good at dumbing things down and that's not a bad thing.

Now in this situation my interpretation may be wrong. The person before you mentioned a great point instead of generalizing me like I'm one of those longtime fans that hates every new change lol. I'm simply very curious why sometimes the battle information splits up the attack value by saying 10 10 and sometimes it says 10x2(or I believe 8x2 in the trailer). If you think me saying they are pandering to casual or new players was a bad thing, that's on you. I didn't say it in a bad way because I think it's good simplifying things for a bigger audience. I just thought it was redundant at the time of the post.

No. Not sure the line "we need to stop acting..." is necessary but If something seems like a dumbing down then I'm going to say it is. It's a discussion. It isn't inherently a bad thing. It's the way the info is presented that is my issue. There is clutter and I don't think many would disagree that the UI is lackluster at best.

For instance. Gamefreak tries to make things "simpler" with every gen. They now show which attack is effective and isn't incase you can't remember type weaknesses/strengths and it is presented in a good way that doesn't make the screen "loud." I'd say they are very good at dumbing things down and that's not a bad thing.

Now in this situation my interpretation may be wrong. The person before you mentioned a great point instead of generalizing me like I'm one of those longtime fans that hates every new change lol. I'm simply very curious why sometimes the battle information splits up the attack value by saying 10 10 and sometimes it says 10x2(or I believe 8x2 in the trailer). If you think me saying they are pandering to casual or new players was a bad thing, that's on you. I didn't say it in a bad way because I think it's good simplifying things for a bigger audience. I just thought it was redundant at the time of the post.
The reason I stated my reply the way I did is that improving readability isn't dumbing things down. "x2" isnt complex to understand, but when they display two separate values instead of a multiplier, they're likely doing it for a reason other than "dumbing down". Hell, if it is fact the case that attacks can have varying damage per strike, that actually makes things more complex.

I'm so excited for the game but especially for the music. Fire Emblem has always had fantastic music but Three Houses was full of bangers, hopefully Engage will be on the same level.

I think the UI looks great, not sure many would agree that it's "lackluster at best", that just seems like you're projecting your own opinion onto the wider audience lol. Although I will say I prefer the 3H UI so far from a visual standpoint, but Engage's UI looks really good too. I love how it shows the exact attacking order when starting a battle.

I'm so excited for the game but especially for the music. Fire Emblem has always had fantastic music but Three Houses was full of bangers, hopefully Engage will be on the same level.
Same, since Awakening especially, FE music has been amazing. What little we've heard from the clips being posted on the FE Twitter already sound fantastic, and very distinct from 3H's music style. Hearing new bits of music is lowkey what I'm most excited for with these new clips they're posting lol. Hopefully we start getting tweets again tonight since it's now Monday in Japan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom