• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Fire Emblem Engage — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It actually looks nice. It lost that haze that plagued 3H's look. There is actually some vibrancy in some of the settings,

Honestly, I'm hyped cause it's just more Fire Emblem.

The graphics are a whole lot better than Three Houses lol. Not sure I like the character designs as much but Three Houses took a while to work for me. Still, game looks fun and really looking forward to it. Happy it's pretty close.

Characters looks MUCH better. Environments reminds me of any other Atelier game. And it's so close!

The character models look so good! I'm not surprised with Gust involved but damn.

I like Pepsi-chan and I like the returning Heroes thing! Only thing I'm not pleased about is the female designs looking.... waifu-y.

Almost fully out on Fire Emblem after Fates and Three Houses as it has become more and more of a JRPG and less and less of a straight strategy game - both in terms of story and mechanics.

Seeing two characters combine and turn into some kind of angel thing it's hard not to think this won't be more of the same. But it looks like a well-made game if you're into that modern style FE.

I guess if reviews say that there's no time-wasting stuff like the monastery in Three Houses then I'd consider giving it a go.

I’m always in for more Fire Emblem, but I don’t like the character design in this one at all. Hopefully the maps will be better than FE3H’s.

Almost fully out on Fire Emblem after Fates and Three Houses as it has become more and more of a JRPG and less and less of a straight strategy game - both in terms of story and mechanics.

Seeing two characters combine and turn into some kind of angel thing it's hard not to think this won't be more of the same. But it looks like a well-made game if you're into that modern style FE.

I guess if reviews say that there's no time-wasting stuff like the monastery in Three Houses then I'd consider giving it a go.

There looks to be a whole town building aspect here.

Im not feeling these designs at all, what a shame! I hope they grow on me, I liked Three Houses since the first announcement.

Horrible name, but the visuals looks great. The maps look much more detailed and colorful and not kinda "cheap-looking" like in Three Houses.

Looks cleaner and nicer.

Not disappointed. But not impressed. Comes off as a fun title at least. Not super serious

Maybe to gear for Genealogy of the Holy War sadness and pain lol

Visuals look waaaaay better tbh. I can't wait to hear the actual new music in this game though, kinda disappointed that the trailer music was just a remix of the FE theme. I hope we get another anime theme song like in Fates and 3H lol. I hope the map design/gameplay is more Conquest-esque in this game. And since almost everything from the leaks has been vindicated, I hope this means that the game truly has towns, dungeons, and an overworld to explore instead of a single location!

looks awful and I don't mean the graphics. Seems like FE has completely go to a path I'm not interested. Still gonna buy it tho but I'll expect the worst.

Overall. I’m very whelmed.

I’ve been very critical of the writing of the series and themes. Seems to be going in the direction I have little interest.

But if the gameplay is fun. I’ll should be fun. A nostagia type game with conquest gameplay would be all I need honestly. Three houses wasn’t very deep in terms of gameplay.

L0o4kYQC_400x400.png

will all past anna be summonable by the ring?

Very excited to be getting a new Fire Emblem.

I'm not sold on the premise or the look so far.

Visually it looks great, and I did see a world map option during the camp gameplay so it looks like that part of the leaks have something to them. While I'm not a legacy FE fan and don't know too many of the returning characters, given this is an anniversary game (I think?) and the ridiculous success of Heroes it's not super surprising to see this, and they look like they might have some neat gameplay elements to them.

Not super sure on this story, because wow that's generic sounding at first glance. But I'll reserve judgement until we know more, I very clearly remember everyone being very pessimistic on Three Houses' story before it leaked more thoroughly.

Edit: Oh yeah, the name's dumb, Toothpaste-kun and Toothpaste-chan are iconic and I will hear nothing against my very poorly hairstyled children

Looks nice and the male Pepsi protagonist design actually doesn't bother me, but the name is a boot and the 'summoning old heroes' concept isn't my bag at all.

I really love the Visuals. This game pops. Story doesnt sound great but honestly Three Houses Main Story Setup was also not the best. But the Characters made it work so i hope for the same here.

Other than that this Settings gives us a lot of options for really cool Gameplay so im excited.

I’ve got mixed feelings about this. In terms of what the trailer leans on, I’m done with the ‘summon your favourite old heroes as spirits to back you up’ approach at this point, I’m just tired of it with Fire Emblem in general after Heroes and TMS and whatever else. I don’t get why they need to lean so hard on Marth, Sigurd, Lyn etc rather than new heroes. Pointless fanservice that just shows a lack of confidence in the new cast. Not overly keen on toothpaste’s design either, and the ‘engage’ linked to the ring on your engagement/wedding ring finger just feels weird when it isn’t an engagement ring. Just like an odd flirting with intimacy thing. Even the name and logo seem cheap. Not keen on the general character designs either. Just seems a bit generic to me after the fashion of Three Houses, just a lot of instantly forgettable elements.

However! I did like the tapestry art, and the combat seems as good as ever. I also love the cobra-like design of the dark dragon. I’m sure once I’m in the swing of it and picking and choosing the characters I like it’ll be fine.

Last edited:
Curious about the differences from the leaked build. Have they redesigned any aspects of the protagonist?

Disappointed but not surprised. I've been a Fire Emblem fan for a long, long time, and I've been trying to cling to the series with recent releases, but it's becoming more and more clear that these games are not and will not be for me any more. Feels weird :/

looks awful and I don't mean the graphics. Seems like FE has completely go to a path I'm not interested. Still gonna buy it tho but I'll expect the worst.
This is exactly where I'm at. The artstyle looks absolutely terrible, and the gimmick seems like way too much in a weird direction. I don't care for when they do these types of fanservicey "look at all the old lords" outside of Warriors and Heroes.

Deeply apprehensive but open is what I would call it

Disappointed but not surprised. I've been a Fire Emblem fan for a long, long time, and I've been trying to cling to the series with recent releases, but it's becoming more and more clear that these games are not and will not be for me any more. Feels weird :/
yeah, I mean I get that the series was saved with Awakening but went from SS tier to B tier to me (this one might be C tier from the looks of it), not for my tastes I guess

This looked really good. The name is a bit eh, but otherwise it was a great announcement. I need that Collectors Edition.

I don’t like it tbh.
Guess I need to see another trailer before deciding, but TH announcement trailer pull me in immediately.

Game of the direct for me personally. Probably won't be as good as Three Houses but I'm in it on day one. And it releasing in January and BOTW 2 in May gives me enough time to savor it.

Last edited:
Yeah, add me to the 'don't like the character designs' camp. I think the animations and the general world look better than TH, but I didn't see a single character design that I liked, and I actively hate the protagonist. Like, FE has always been an anime series, but there's anime... and then there's anime...

I also don't love the whole 'Remember Marth? We sure do!' aspect. Were they just not confident Toothpaste-chan could carry the game, so they had to throw in the lords from previous games to carry them? Interesting that they mentioned Sigurd by name so many times. In the west, only diehard FE fans would know who that is. Maybe evidence that that remake is coming sooner than we think?

I'll probably still end up getting the game, because I love FE, and the gameplay looked solid enough from what little we saw. But I'm not exactly excited.

The UI looks nice and it seems like the summoning mechanics should provide a lot of depth and variety to the gameplay. I love love love the cinematic art style in the beginning, from Three Houses' medieval half woodcut, half illumination look to this Chinese silk embroidery look. If only the rest of the games' art were that spectacular

Everyone playing the game for fun.

Me: “alright let’s hear those Genealogy of the Holy War voice actors and analysis the designs in engage…”

Count me in as excited. I prefer anime-looking FE as it is more reminiscent of the sprites of yestergame, so that is not an issue for me.

While I enjoy getting to know the new characters, it does seem that previous heroes are more deployed as a resource in battle rather than replacing the use of new characters in the story or at least I hope for that.

I will be there on Day 1 for Toothpaste-kun!

Has it been confirmed if Gust and KT are developing or just Gust? Alongside IS obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom