• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Fire Emblem Engage — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This should be fun. Three Houses is probably a Top 3 Switch game for me, and this looks like a blast. It'll be interested to see how much non-combat stuff there is to do. I get the feeling there won't be as much as Three Houses, which I'm fine with.

I do wish that Nintendo made it a little easier to play some of the old Fire Emblem games. A big part of this one seems to be summoning those old characters, which is cool, but a lot of them are from games that most people haven't or even can't play.

It obviously is Gust
I mean, characters rendition, color palette and vibrant sunshine feeling: should have been called Fire Emblem Atelier

Is lovely

Best thing in the direct. Love the character designs and the use of color. It looks very different from Three Houses (which I also love) but that's a good thing, let them change it up. I'm not really bothered by the all the past heroes, they seem to be like Mirages/Personas/Stands or whatever and after Three Houses was a completely original game in it's own world with its own characters (except Anna but she is in all the games) I see no issue with having some fan service.

Visually it looks like a huge step up from the last game so that is really cool. I like that we have so many costumes seemingly in the base game even. I hope we can get transforming classes like Manaketes back.

The best part about this for me is the short reveal to release. Not totally sure what's going on in the story but we'll see how it goes. Overall I'm excited! I'm at the point where I'll always buy a new fire emblem.

Heads-up; The CE has appeared on the german My Nintendo Store, though not orderable yet. You might wanna check your country's store.

This guy knows how to DLC 👍

Of course, i play Fire Emblem Heroes!

Wake up babe! Critical hit animations look amazing again.

It's good, but it will never top the GBA era 2D ones.

My initial reaction during the stream was that it looked clean, but rewatching it on youtube, god damn yeah it looks really good, I love the art style.

Heads-up; The CE has appeared on the german My Nintendo Store, though not orderable yet. You might wanna check your country's store.

Of course, i play Fire Emblem Heroes!

It's good, but it will never top the GBA era 2D ones.

The Dutch one was available yesterday and I ordered it right away, then it got on sold out. I do have it tho :D

Still waiting for the Xenoblade 3 one.

The Dutch one was available yesterday and I ordered it right away, then it got on sold out. I do have it tho :D

Still waiting for the Xenoblade 3 one.

... oh god, you're giving me fear that yesterday it was orderable at the german store too and i'm now shit out of luck ...

... oh god, you're giving me fear that yesterday it was orderable at the german store too and i'm now shit out of luck ...
I hope it comes back :(. I just saw it by coincidence and just ordered it right away.

Game looks like some jubilee/ christmas special edition. Like it's taking itself not seriously (Three Houses was very serious). And even more Anime than all it's presuccecors.

Graphics look good. Gameplay should be fun. Will watch it and probably buy on sale for 40.
I laugh when people say this. Anime is in the series dna and the mental image they’ve been selling since day one

3e7de5bcf70cec427c5465d0cde42e03.jpg

51AzCi-dQkL.jpg

The series has always aimed for a good amount of color and variety too. This game is just that end goal of the long running aim for the series

I laugh when people say this. Anime is in the series dna and the mental image they’ve been selling since day one

51AzCi-dQkL.jpg

The series has always aimed for a good amount of color and variety too. This game is just that end goal of the long running aim for the series

I want a game in this same art style. The same goes for the original Zelda and its illustrations.

Cw6GAzSWIAAfupC.jpg

Last edited:
Fan who got into the series from Three Houses or Shadows of Valentia: Ew why does the new game have anime design with weird outfits and strange hair?

Everyone else:
images

i this like the mobile game or xenoblade 2 ?? like a gacha system you need to use to get the characters from pasts games
considering the leaks, I think that characters from previous games will be unlockable through dungeons or side quests. They haven't talked about a gacha system of any kind yet and it wasn't featured in the leaks.

considering the leaks, I think that characters from previous games will be unlockable through dungeons or side quests. They haven't talked about a gacha system of any kind yet and it wasn't featured in the leaks.

Well i think we can say with absolute certainty that this game won't have a real money based gacha.

DLC on the other hand .... ^^

Sorry for double post, but PSA: The Divine Edition is orderable at Amazon.de!

120 € compared to 100 € at the My Nintendo Store, but hopefully the price falls before release.

E: Why isn't it showing up?

51AzCi-dQkL.jpg

the funny thing of fire emblem is that it has always been anime inspired, it's just that the series is over 30 years old so it changed in the same way anime changed in the following decades, you can really see in the original artworks of the japanese only games how much they take from old school anime and the likes.
Also I think Engage looks pretty similar to the first 2 gba games in look and colors. And even if it is too much anime for some people, if we're getting an fe4 remake next year I think a good amount of variety and styles could only be a good thing for the franchise. There's room for both gritty war stories and fun war adventures that will also end in gritty way.

So excited for this game! Nothing beats a new Fire Emblem. Love the main character!

This should be fun. Three Houses is probably a Top 3 Switch game for me, and this looks like a blast. It'll be interested to see how much non-combat stuff there is to do. I get the feeling there won't be as much as Three Houses, which I'm fine with.

I do wish that Nintendo made it a little easier to play some of the old Fire Emblem games. A big part of this one seems to be summoning those old characters, which is cool, but a lot of them are from games that most people haven't or even can't play.

Agreed, FE:3H is one of my top games of the generation. I'm a bit upset that they've seemed to get rid of Battalions. Having your named units be officers leading battalions of units in the battlefield not only (1) was more immersive but (2) also looked so much better than there being a handful of people making up these historic battlefields. They removed battalion formations from an early build of FE:3H, but I was really hoping they'd re-introduce them here while also expanding on the strategic and tactical depth that battalions could bring.

Has anyone else heard anything? Anybody think they'll be back in?

Agreed, FE:3H is one of my top games of the generation. I'm a bit upset that they've seemed to get rid of Battalions. Having your named units be officers leading battalions of units in the battlefield not only (1) was more immersive but (2) also looked so much better than there being a handful of people making up these historic battlefields. They removed battalion formations from an early build of FE:3H, but I was really hoping they'd re-introduce them here while also expanding on the strategic and tactical depth that battalions could bring.

Has anyone else heard anything? Anybody think they'll be back in?
It's not uncommon for a feature introduced in one entry to not be included in the following game. Three Houses implemented a few systems that were last seen in Genealogy of the Holy War, Shadows of Valentia included a fatigue system that had only been in one other entry (Thracia 776), and so on. If Battalions aren't back in Engage, I'll be disappointed because I do like how they're handled in Three Houses and how they function with gambits, but I won't be surprised if they're not included, either.

It's not uncommon for a feature introduced in one entry to not be included in the following game. Three Houses implemented a few systems that were last seen in Genealogy of the Holy War, Shadows of Valentia included a fatigue system that had only been in one other entry (Thracia 776), and so on. If Battalions aren't back in Engage, I'll be disappointed because I do like how they're handled in Three Houses and how they function with gambits, but I won't be surprised if they're not included, either.

Ugh, it's such a shame, the game just felt so much better with them included.

Heads-up again: The Divine Edition just went live (orderable) on the german My Nintendo Store. See Link above!

We have cool crit animations again.

Man, I'm loving how much better the animations seem to be based off the footage we've gotten so far. They're very SoV-like, which kinda makes me wonder if some IS animators worked on this game, or if they're all too busy with FE4R. If it's still primarily KT animators handling these animations, then hats off to them, it's such a massive improvement from 3H!

If all crit animations are as good as this one, then this game will easily dethrone SoV as having the best 3d crit animations, and maybe even the best crit animations period.

Although, one thing I noticed that is slightly disappointing is the fact that it doesn't seem like there are cut-ins anymore? I guess the graphics and 3d models are good enough at this point that they decided they didn't need them?

If all crit animations are as good as this one, then this game will easily dethrone SoV as having the best 3d crit animations, and maybe even the best crit animations period.
For my money, still nothing has come close to GBA crits. The closest anything has come is Radiant Dawn's ridiculously lengthy animations

Man, I'm loving how much better the animations seem to be based off the footage we've gotten so far. They're very SoV-like, which kinda makes me wonder if some IS animators worked on this game, or if they're all too busy with FE4R. If it's still primarily KT animators handling these animations, then hats off to them, it's such a massive improvement from 3H!

Although, one thing I noticed that is slightly disappointing is the fact that it doesn't seem like there are cut-ins anymore? I guess the graphics and 3d models are good enough at this point that they decided they didn't need them?
I actually like the no cut-ins, if they can make the model look good in a pose before the crit I don't think they're needed.

As a positive note for me, in the pure gamplay department, Engage is looking to be fixing some of the most glaring issues of Three Houses that made me not liking the game. For instance.:

- Weapon Triangle is back! Also, class weapon restrictions look to be back. Which is great for balancing the experience and making more unique the different characters.

- Map design looks way better for what has been seen. Map design in Three Houses is HORRIBLE. The moment you get into your first mission and you are thrown into an empty space with no strategic points, no choke points, no terrain limitations... it's depressing. Worse when you push forward through the game and things don't improve too much. From what has been seen in the trailer, the shown map already has a river, three choke points around it, some houses, a fort for protection and so on. And it's way more CONDENSED and less open-space than Three Houses. If they go this route of more condensed maps with more strategy possibilities, it would be a great return to form in this department. It's glaring to me how a map from Into the Breach which is a 8x8 grid has way more strategic deep built into it than most Three Houses maps.

Gameplay looks smooth. Crit are more inline with older FE games. If thats the case what else could they bring back. I saw mention of Canto (by fans) but that would be broken with maps somewhat smaller. Unless they have Tellius type maps.

Also happy the maps look better. After playing Triangle Strategy (my 2nd tactics game) I understand the complaints about 3H

As a positive note for me, in the pure gamplay department, Engage is looking to be fixing some of the most glaring issues of Three Houses that made me not liking the game. For instance.:

- Weapon Triangle is back! Also, class weapon restrictions look to be back. Which is great for balancing the experience and making more unique the different characters.

- Map design looks way better for what has been seen. Map design in Three Houses is HORRIBLE. The moment you get into your first mission and you are thrown into an empty space with no strategic points, no choke points, no terrain limitations... it's depressing. Worse when you push forward through the game and things don't improve too much. From what has been seen in the trailer, the shown map already has a river, three choke points around it, some houses, a fort for protection and so on. And it's way more CONDENSED and less open-space than Three Houses. If they go this route of more condensed maps with more strategy possibilities, it would be a great return to form in this department. It's glaring to me how a map from Into the Breach which is a 8x8 grid has way more strategic deep built into it than most Three Houses maps.
I'm glad Three Houses didn't use the weapon triangle. It's a good mechanic, but some put way too much stock in it as some manner of necessity and I preferred seeing all of the experiments Three Houses did. Though not everything was necessarily useful or meaningful, things like battalions and gambits, magic acting in a more refined version of the Gaiden/SoV system without tomes, the reintroduction of dismounting, gauntlet weapons, a promotion system that offers a mucg wider range of unit possibilities than the norm, and a number of other features combined for a very unique spin on Fire Emblem. And it wasn't afraid to forsake a mechanic in the weapon triangle as part of that experiment.

I like the weapon triangle. I see the benefits of it, and Im generally for its inclusion. But I think some folks are too afraid of the idea of not using it, and a good FE doesn't need to live or die by rock-paper-scissors.

I didn't miss the weapon triangle at all, but I won't bemoan its return.

I'm getting quite excited for this despite the environmental art not appealing to me much and the summoning past Lords feature not being something that I want as a core gameplay mechanic. Need some good quality character portraits soon so I can update my avatar and get in the spirit of things.

Rather excited for this one. Seems to be a lot more colorful than three houses was so that has me pumped. Not that I hated how three houses looked. I’ve just spent so much time with the game I’m down for something that looks way different.

I don't mind the weapon triangle being back and having more weapon restrictions, but I hope there's still some sort of training paths and good ways to develop your characters into different classes like in Three Houses, that was one of my favorite things about it. I seem to recall (maybe?) Nate saying that this game will have a LOT of classes in it? So that's a plus for me if so.

I think this small video is a perfect showcase for how the gameplay seems to be.

This video is a good view into some things that seem to be happening in this game, but I really hope this game doesn't become a "old FE vs. new FE (specifically three houses)" battleground that divides the fanbase. I'm still a fairly new FE fan but I know there was a lot of infighting and division that happened pre-three houses that had calmed down a lot since that game came out, and I really don't want to go back to that or create a new version of it.

This video is a good view into some things that seem to be happening in this game, but I really hope this game doesn't become a "old FE vs. new FE (specifically three houses)" battleground that divides the fanbase. I'm still a fairly new FE fan but I know there was a lot of infighting and division that happened pre-three houses that had calmed down a lot since that game came out, and I really don't want to go back to that or create a new version of it.
Don't worry, that was something that would have happened anyway, I just don't care anymore especially because I enjoy both the character based fire emblem and the map based fire emblem (my top 4 favourite fe are fe6 fe4 fe5 and Threehouses which are 2 of one style and 2 of the other)

The Three Houses era of that infighting was more or less Edelgard uber-stans versus pretty much everyone else.

I don't have time to watch the video, but when people say this game might be a return to form, I want to know what form is the form.

Awakening?
Fates Conquest?
Shadows of Valentia?
The GBA era?
The Kaga era?

The Three Houses era of that infighting was more or less Edelgard uber-stans versus pretty much everyone else.

I don't have time to watch the video, but when people say this game might be a return to form, I want to know what form is the form.

Awakening?
Fates Conquest?
Shadows of Valentia?
The GBA era?
The Kaga era?
Gba era seems like the main vibe.
Also I love Edelgard.

Heads-up again: The Divine Edition just went live (orderable) on the german My Nintendo Store. See Link above!
Thanks for the heads-up! I just preordered it, although for some reason only credit card was available as a payment option despite the Nintendo website offering more options than that, so I had to ask someone else to help me out, haha.

Awakening?
Fates Conquest?
Shadows of Valentia?
The GBA era?
The Kaga era?
We are still in the dark about a lot of the mechanics but people seems to be convinced its the gba era (I myself dont think that) The biggest example from the vid in the critical animations (not the flashiness). Starting in gamecube (Tellius games), crit animations started having longer wind-ups and the 3ds games started the facial cut in animation. While gba crits were more fluid, meaning the characters did not have to pause to wind-up.

As someone who has played all mainline (minus Geneology/Tharcia) I dont necessary agree cause we have little info to go on.

Awakening?
Fates Conquest?
Shadows of Valentia?
The GBA era?
The Kaga era?
That's true, the Edelgard fighting was annoying but it never seemed as bad or as massive as things used to be. And I haven't played any FE pre-Awakening so I can't really comment on "the form", I just know that I liked Three Houses the most, so I'm hoping we don't lose too much of what I liked about that game (while obviously improving a lot of things that can be improved, like the maps)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom