• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Fire Emblem Engage — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This looks fantastic. I'm a tiny bit bothered that Marth is used in the promotional material. The franchise doesn't need to rely on cameo like that for the marketing, it's strong enough nowadays. Other than that, super happy and I'm really looking forward to it. Now, I just need to finish 3H until then.

I like the character designs ok and the colorful art direction but I wanted character designs closer to 3 Houses. Im not against leaning into “anime”-ness in general, but like…we have plenty of games that do that.

Also not into the “summon all these past characters” thing yet. Cool that they brought back Vertigo from Primal Rage though.

Love it. And I love the return to anime artstyle because it reminds me of awakening/fates and I remember hating three houses for looking drastically different to those so personally I’m happy

I understand if it’s not everyone though

I thought this was an FE Warriors game or some kind of spinoff before it was revealed to be an actual Fire Emblem game.

Looking good. I hope they speed up the game a bit. The monastery stuff was a bit too much for me. I liked it but it got annoying fast. The characters and game were both great though.

I thought this was an FE Warriors game or some kind of spinoff before it was revealed to be an actual Fire Emblem game.
This was the vibe I got in the first few seconds with all the lords in stained glass at the start

serious q: why IS the character design from 3H so divisive? Some people really hate it, is it just because they prefer their anime to be more cartoony?

I believe some people thought it was too "Persona" at the time.

Mixed feelings on this.

I actually really like the MC's design (the eyes of all the characters look very pretty), the cutscenes looked really solid too!

But, the character designs of the new cast leave a lot to be desired. I can't even remember how they look, and for a game like FE that'sone of the most important parts IMO.

The art is also conventionally pretty and all, but it wouldn't immediately make me think "oh this is a FE game."

The gimmick reminds me of FE Heroes + FE TMS (but this time its a FE x FE crossover lol).
I can't be very hyped for the summons as I don't really know the other lords all that well since the games aren't very accessible.
But it's a smart way to make people interested in the other games I guess.

I'm still cautiously optimistic though!

For me, personally, Three Houses nailed almost everything (story, setting, characters) so I guess the bar was raised too high for me hahaha.

Only the S Support Artwork + cutscenes left something to be desired. The graphics quality never bothered me tbh.

serious q: why IS the character design from 3H so divisive? Some people really hate it, is it just because they prefer their anime to be more cartoony?
I obviously don't speak for everyone - especially since I don't actually dislike the character designs from TH per se - but I do consider them to be a downgrade from some of the previous games. I dunno, the characters have a sort of... plasticky look to them. Like a weird sheen coats their bodies. I don't know how to explain what I'm talking about - I'm not an arty person, so I don't have the vocabulary to express what I mean here, but I found it off-putting.

My bigger issue with TH is actually how stiff the character animations are outside of combat, and how chunky the world is.

For what it's worth, I think Shadows of Valentia was the peak in terms of the series' character designs. Kinda wish we'd use that style again, it's really good.

I look forward to new artist takes in Fire emblem. Something I really like about the series always getting new looks
Agreed. Suuuuper glad that we're not just getting the same artist again in an unrelated game cough Fates cough

Obviously the art direction of the game looks way different too, so that's cool. FE4R will probably look a lot different too so we'll get three very distinct mainline FE's in Switch!

This looks fantastic. I'm a tiny bit bothered that Marth is used in the promotional material. The franchise doesn't need to rely on cameo like that for the marketing, it's strong enough nowadays. Other than that, super happy and I'm really looking forward to it. Now, I just need to finish 3H until then.
It seems like his role is going to be bigger than a cameo, though.

The secret is it's actually called Engage because they're going to lean even harder into the relationship mechanics. :p

Is the protagonist fully voiced, or is it kinda like Byleth in 3H where they only speak during battle and are kinda dull outside of battle?
Trailer seemed to show full voice acting for the mc.

Food for thought, in the mural, Ike is shown using an axe. That's his father's axe Urvan.

He's iirc only able to use it in the late game of Radiant Dawn.

Not really sure why people are saying this is a 'return' to an anime art style.

It's always been an anime art style?
I think because of three houses being less colourful and looking more realistic. I remember fates and awakening being very anime especially fates which upped the husbando/ Waifu mechanics up to 100 and had pretty anime designs too.

If this game came right after Fates it wouldn’t look so out of place imo.

I loved this. If they bring my boy Hector up from 7 or Ross from Sacred as potential summons? I would be elated. I agree that this gimmick has been done two other times but, I think there is still value. I think it looks gorgeous and the maps look great. Glad to not see too much out of battle stuff. I wanna play 3H one day but the none battle stuff felt like it was too much for me. This seems like a bit less of out of battle stuff, which is what I wanted to see . Could be wrong though. Regardless this artistically is as great as Shadows or Sacred was . Can’t wait.

Mostly a miss for me so far which is pretty disappointing after Three Houses which I loved. Not a fan of the Emblems concept being front and center, usually dislike "crossovers" like this but can tolerate them if they’re limited to sidemodes. Haven’t seen a single new character design that I liked either (maybe that pegasus knight?). But the graphics are pretty good. I guess I’ll see closer to release but right now I’m leaning towards a skip.

FcjD8b5WAAcZ87e

So from the top going clockwise is a rep from each game... who is between Micaiah and Corrin? Doesn't look like Chrom or Robin to me. Is it Lucina with a bow?

FcjD8b5WAAcZ87e

So from the top going clockwise is a rep from each game... who is between Micaiah and Corrin? Doesn't look like Chrom or Robin to me. Is it Lucina with a bow?
Look like Ike with his fathers axe

Edit. Wait. I’m looking at it wrong. Lol

Lame name and not a fan of the chara design, but the game looks cleeeeean. The gimmick of returning heroes is cool too. So many iconic characters and only having one or two games for them is always a waste.

Mostly a miss for me so far which is pretty disappointing after Three Houses which I loved. Not a fan of the Emblems concept being front and center, usually dislike "crossovers" like this but can tolerate them if they’re limited to sidemodes. Haven’t seen a single new character design that I liked either (maybe that pegasus knight?). But the graphics are pretty good. I guess I’ll see closer to release but right now I’m leaning towards a skip.
Same. It just seems to dependnt on past riches.
It looks cleaner, jep...but also the characters look meh.

I obviously don't speak for everyone - especially since I don't actually dislike the character designs from TH per se - but I do consider them to be a downgrade from some of the previous games. I dunno, the characters have a sort of... plasticky look to them. Like a weird sheen coats their bodies. I don't know how to explain what I'm talking about - I'm not an arty person, so I don't have the vocabulary to express what I mean here, but I found it off-putting.

My bigger issue with TH is actually how stiff the character animations are outside of combat, and how chunky the world is.

For what it's worth, I think Shadows of Valentia was the peak in terms of the series' character designs. Kinda wish we'd use that style again, it's really good.
Fair! The animations and overall execution of 3H definitely don’t do the character designs any favors, and probably ended up influencing people’s perceptions of the designs themselves. I wonder if that’s the big thing and people don’t know how to articulate different aspects.

Haven’t played SoV (or any other FE games lmao) but it’s the most likely I’ll play of the available older games.

Super popular too (nearly 1M followers on Twitter!). This is honestly a huge get for IS, I feel like previous FE artists weren't very well known prior to their FE work.
kozaki & kurahana are well known before doing FE, but probably not as widely known as mika pikazo (which i guess popularity exploded due to fgo's sei & vtuber design)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom