• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Fire Emblem Engage — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
it already exists in Radiant Dawn and Sacred Stone

Oh right, i forgot. But iirc wasn't it enemy only in Radiant Dawn?

Anyway, refreshing my memory after googling for them, i would like them to be a bit ... different then just (Sacred Stones) summon phantoms that only last one battle.

Oh right, i forgot. But iirc wasn't it enemy only in Radiant Dawn?

Anyway, refreshing my memory after googling for them, i would like them to be a bit ... different then just (Sacred Stones) summon phantoms that only last one battle.
For RD, it was recruitable on NG+.

Man that soundtrack sounds really good! As well as the sound effects in the UI and combat.

Can't deny, this game is a good looking game.

I kinda always wanted a summoner/necromancer class (especially for the dark mage class trees), but not like this. ._.
I guess it’s fine for the companions of the hero using the holy sword to use dark magic but necromancy is a step too far. Well, a sort of shamble, really… :)

Pretty awesome that you can engage from the combat forecast , hopefully you can cancel at anytime too.

It also seems like rings give different effects or stats. Also they seem to mimic the emblem's moves? Alear did the classic Marth forward smash in that video.

Hey a raised dead for the good guys is a raised dead not working for the big evil!
New character class- the tharmatelogical economist. “You see, mighty dragon lord, ease of undead resource replenishment for their infantry is literally a zero sum game.”

Gaiden and Echoes had somewhat playable summoners with Invoke magic and the Guru overclass. But generally it is a fairly rare ability in the series.

Game looks great gameplay wise, but the fact that the engage ring chracters seem to be involved in the story (or at least Marth in an important role) makes me very sceptical about the story. I just hope the fan service characters don't steal the whole spotlight of the new characters.

Alright, I'm going to admit, the game is starting to grow on me the more footage they release.

Also, those animations are sooo good lol. I'm really hoping we get Fates conquest style design such as unique objectives and conditions.

Alfred! We get to see two new characters in the second clip, too. Etie and the unknown axe dude from previous clips, maybe?

The soundtrack seems lovely just like past fire emblem games.
I'm kind of hoping for more cinematic cutscenes tough in the same vein as xenoblade. Right now they are just showing talk cutscenes in the same vein of threehouses but of course it's mostly early game stuff.
Also we can see some green units in the second clip so that's fun.

I am not the best at this series, but I love playing them, haha. I am hoping the game has the easier difficulty settings that the most recent releases have had.

New tweets, this time introducing Celine. Confirms that she's Alfred's younger sister. Looks like she can use both magic and swords.

Cool. is that the strategist or royalty class? Or something new? I usually end up just sticking with magic so they can always counter (unless their stat growth leans physical) but I do like the idea of the magic/melee classes.

Cool. is that the strategist or royalty class? Or something new? I usually end up just sticking with magic so they can always counter (unless their stat growth leans physical) but I do like the idea of the magic/melee classes.
According to Google Translate, she's the same class as Alfred, so a Noble. Assuming that's accurate, it really makes me question how weapon locking works in this game lol. Maybe each individual character is unique and it's not specifically tied to class?

The only classes i can think of being able to use melee weapons and magic (or staff) are Trickster, Awakening's Tactician/Grandmaster, Dark Knights, Dark Fliers and Falcon Knights (not always), Mortal Savant, War Monk/War Cleric.

Thing is, most of those are promoted classes, outside of Tactician. So she's either having a special class or is in a promoted one.

According to Google Translate, she's the same class as Alfred, so a Noble. Assuming that's accurate, it really makes me question how weapon locking works in this game lol. Maybe each individual character is unique and it's not specifically tied to class?
Looking at the clip again, when she’s selecting a weapon to attack with, she’s holding 3 sword weapons, a fire magic tome and a vulnerary, I think. Whereas Alfred is also a noble but a cavalry unit wielding a lance.

Perhaps class just defines stat growth and weapon options are defined by the character in Engage? Maybe ‘noble’ offers a balanced stat growth to suit a variety of promotion options to, say, paladin/dark knight in Alfred’s case and strategist/sage for Celine? No idea.

The only classes i can think of being able to use melee weapons and magic (or staff) are Trickster, Awakening's Tactician/Grandmaster, Dark Knights, Dark Fliers and Falcon Knights (not always), Mortal Savant, War Monk/War Cleric.

Thing is, most of those are promoted classes, outside of Tactician. So she's either having a special class or is in a promoted one.
Yeah fair point. I wonder if it means she’ll have wider options when promoting. Noble is suitably vague and the clip doesn’t seem particularly mid-to-late-game or anything if she’s only got 23 HP.

Technically, there can be classes that have the same name but are different. See Sacred Stones, both of the Renais twins are Lord -> Great Lord, but Eirika is limited to Swords and Eph to Lances.

Was about to say I'm not feeling a lot of these designs and was not sold on Celine but then I realised she's wearing a crinoline into battle. 😭 Okay diva!

Are we sure that Alfred and Celine are the Noble class? The Noble class existed in Three Houses in a very different context.
Yes. The class is called "ノーブル" in Japanese. You see it here on the portrait.

It IS a different name than Nobles in Three Houses, but "ノーブル" is just Hiragana for the English term "Noble"

It's also called Noble in English:
Ss_fe17_Sigurd_01.png

Last edited:
Yes. The class is called "ノーブル" in Japanese. You see it here on the portrait.

It IS a different name than Nobles in Three Houses, but "ノーブル" is just Hiragana for the English term "Noble"

It's also called Noble in English:
Ss_fe17_Sigurd_01.png

Ah, cool.

Also interesting to see that the game specifically distinguishes Alfred's mounted type in addition to his class.

Something interesting that I saw pointed out that I didn't notice at first: it appears that daggers/hidden weapons are back? Take a look at the weapon icons of the enemies in the second map in the first clip, one of them is a dagger. Between that and gauntlets returning, it seems like this game will have a lot of weapon variety, which is great!

The gameplay and map design is looking incredibly promising so far. Both the maps shown in the first clip seem really cool. A FoW map with torches and a maze-like map that splits your units both seem like they'll be a lot of fun. The visuals of both maps (particularly the overhead views) are really cool, too! It feels like IS is trying to make the second coming of Fates Conquest in terms of gameplay, now we just gotta hope the story and characters (and the overall quality of the writing and execution) are good lol.

Alright, I'm going to admit, the game is starting to grow on me the more footage they release.

Also, those animations are sooo good lol. I'm really hoping we get Fates conquest style design such as unique objectives and conditions.
I recently did one route in three houses and the dlc and the objectives being so repetitive made me call it quits I got the gist of the story through blue lions and got 40 hours out of it here is hoping this far less repeating

I still don't like that the engage spirits are seemingly strongly involved in the story. But we will see. From a gameplay perspective and the animations this game still looks great and better than 3H. Just not a fan of fanservice (in the non-sexual way) stories.

So how gay is fire emblem? Can I make two boys fall in love, kiss?

In some of the newer games you can pair your male avatar with certain men, though in Three Houses at least there's more options available for the female avatar and certain women. Echoes on 3DS also has a great gay character with Leon!

No news about this game so far, but I'm hoping that IntSys will keep building on what they've been doing. Not just more gay pairings in general, but a better balance of gay men and women. Here's hoping!

So how gay is fire emblem? Can I make two boys fall in love, kiss?
It's been getting better over time, so hopefully this one will be improved over Three Houses.

I will say that there are plenty of implied gay characters in the older games as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom