• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Fire Emblem Engage — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the purple spiky guy ends up being a humanized form of the fell dragon I could see a Medeus ring. Bad dragons teaming up for maximum carnage!

If the leak is correct, and considering everything else about it has been true so we have no reason to assume it i's not 100% correct, then this game was originally planned to be an anniversary celebration game that unfortunately missed the mark for the original planned release, so I thiiink that the lighter simpler 'traditional Fire Emblem' story might be by design to serve that scenario, along with Marth possibly getting bolstered due to being The Iconic First Lord and yadda yadda.
And that's... fine I think? As long as the new characters are funny and endearing and the maps are fun I can swallow all the nostalgiawank they wanna throw at us.
That same leak also said that the Emblem characters aren't as major a focus as this marketing would make it seem and also that it's apparently taking heavy influence from the cancelled Wii game.

I'm almost 100% certain that the final boss/map of this game is gonna involve the main antagonist fusing with Medeus lol. Nothing else it could be imo.

That same leak also said that the Emblem characters aren't as major a focus as this marketing would make it seem and also that it's apparently taking heavy influence from the cancelled Wii game.
Well remembered. Do we know anything about this old Wii game though?

Well remembered. Do we know anything about this old Wii game though?
Only that they experimented with mechanics more akin to a traditional JRPG (ex: explorable towns, field enemy encounters) and the aesthetic of the game was inspired by Southern Europe.

The more I look at it, the more I love this dark dragon design with the cobra hood. In the same way, I liked the fell dragon in awakening with the row of eyes on each side of its head. Just nice little details to change up the standard dragon design.

Is this game solely developed by IS? Or is it a mix of IS and KT again? I know a Gust artist did the designs, but I think it was just one artist, and not like the whole studio?

I’m just curious, as if this is majorly what IS is working on, plus the other rumored remake

Is this game solely developed by IS? Or is it a mix of IS and KT again? I know a Gust artist did the designs, but I think it was just one artist, and not like the whole studio?

I’m just curious, as if this is majorly what IS is working on, plus the other rumored remake
Rumor is that it is a collaboration between the TH team (so IS/KT Ro3K team) + Gust that helped on the visuals.

Currently, the only studio known to be working on the game is IS. The artist isn't a Gust artist (she's independent and I don't believe she's worked on any Gust games) but it's rumored that Gust provided support on the game's visuals.

Rumor is that it is a collaboration between the TH team (so IS/KT Ro3K team) + Gust that helped on the visuals.

Currently, the only studio known to be working on the game is IS. The artist isn't a Gust artist (she's independent and I don't believe she's worked on any Gust games) but it's rumored that Gust provided support on the game's visuals.
Thank you both! Super excited for the game.

suui.jpg

her.

Kind of wild to think that at least in the west, Celica for the longest time was just seen as "one of those characters from the weird black sheep Fire Emblem."

Look at her now!

Still Edelgard stuff here? Let me tell you this one thing and then maybe the whole discussion can end:

If you think Edelgard is the bad guy in Three Houses, you only played one route and/or completely missed the whole point of the game.

All factions are evil, the only time when they're not evil is when Byleth decides to stay at their side. Dimitri is a maniacal mass-murderer without Byleth, Claude is a backstabbing traitor and coward without Byleth, Rhea is just as crazy as the Slitherers without Byleth.

Also, with or without Edelgard, there would have been war no matter what. The Slitherers didn't just force the Empire to do stuff, they also had their agents in the other factions.

----

On topic, good to see that gauntlets are back and not genderlocked this time. It made no sense in Three Houses, heck, Rhea even has an talent affinity for gauntlet weapons!

man, I love the animations: both the very small ones BEFORE the close-in attack and the actual attack ones

There are a few interesting details that can be noticed in the clip where she attacks the enemy:
  1. It seems that the body arts (the gauntlets) are effective over bows in this game. I heard that in Three Hopes it's actually the reverse (there's a second weapon triangle that goes tomes>bows>gautlets>tomes). On top of that bows and tomes were shown to be colorless in the first trailer while the body arts were yellow. I'm really curious how these weapons are integrated into the Weapon triangle (or if they're integrated at all).
  2. Her weapon description can be translated as "A basic martial arts instruction manual (scroll). It doesn’t allow for consecutive attacks but it‘s easy to handle.". Considering the first trailer shows her consecutively attacking an enemy with Iron-Body arts I suppose that the "gauntlets" will retain their "brave weapon" effect from 3H, except for this basic version.
  3. The staves have durability while the body arts do not. I think the leaks already mentioned that weapon durability won't come back for this game, so this could be confirming that.

The animations in this game are so good.
Also Framme being a monk is both adorable and frightening at the same time

A return to Fates-style infinite durability would certainly be interesting; I don't mind the resource management aspect of weapon durability, but higher stat differentations for different weapon types is an excellent substitute

Still Edelgard stuff here? Let me tell you this one thing and then maybe the whole discussion can end:

If you think Edelgard is the bad guy in Three Houses, you only played one route and/or completely missed the whole point of the game.

All factions are evil, the only time when they're not evil is when Byleth decides to stay at their side. Dimitri is a maniacal mass-murderer without Byleth, Claude is a backstabbing traitor and coward without Byleth, Rhea is just as crazy as the Slitherers without Byleth.

Also, with or without Edelgard, there would have been war no matter what. The Slitherers didn't just force the Empire to do stuff, they also had their agents in the other factions.

----

On topic, good to see that gauntlets are back and not genderlocked this time. It made no sense in Three Houses, heck, Rhea even has an talent affinity for gauntlet weapons!
Don't tell us. Tell that to the simps that still swear she did nothing wrong and keep this conversation out of here. :p

A return to Fates-style infinite durability would certainly be interesting; I don't mind the resource management aspect of weapon durability, but higher stat differentations for different weapon types is an excellent substitute
So long as it's balanced effectively and it doesn't make thing like silver weapons more trouble than they're worth. But I definitely wouldn't mind dropping weapon durability.

Don't tell us. Tell that to the simps that still swear she did nothing wrong and keep this conversation out of here. :p

So long as it's balanced effectively and it doesn't make thing like silver weapons more trouble than they're worth. But I definitely wouldn't mind dropping weapon durability.

I'm not going through 10 pages of this thread for this, but i'm VERY sure it wasn't Edelgard fans who started this.

It's very often not them, ironically.

But this was the last post of mine about this in here.

Is Engage how we're gonna get Fire Emblem all-stars NSO icons? I'll take what I can get at this point.

I don't recall silver weapons in Fates being more trouble than they're worth, but it has been five or six years since I played

I don't recall silver weapons in Fates being more trouble than they're worth, but it has been five or six years since I played
It's been a long time for me, too. I just know people have complained about the offsets of using Silver weapons were such that they felt it better to just stick with Iron.

Damn, the music in the second clip is sooooo good. I can't wait to hear the full OST for this game!
Second clip sounds fairly Three-Houses-downtime-music-y, which is a good thing! The battle music is a bit different; more somber and calmer? But there was a lot of variety there in Three Houses battle music as well. I just hope we don't lose the strong energy a lot of the battle tracks had in Three Houses, with the really driving bass and drumbeats.

Second clip sounds fairly Three-Houses-downtime-music-y, which is a good thing! The battle music is a bit different; more somber and calmer? But there was a lot of variety there in Three Houses battle music as well. I just hope we don't lose the strong energy a lot of the battle tracks had in Three Houses, with the really driving bass and drumbeats.
I actually meant the first clip, second Tweet lol. But I actually like the more somber tone of the map theme, it helps it stand out from 3H, which didn't really have anything like this. It also sounds more... idk, appropriate for the type of game FE is? Don't get me wrong, 3H had a good OST, but there were some weird as hell songs for an FE game (remember Shambala lol?). I'm sure this game will still have some great, upbeat map themes though.

I actually meant the first clip, second Tweet lol. But I actually like the more somber tone of the map theme, it helps it stand out from 3H, which didn't really have anything like this. It also sounds more... idk, appropriate for the type of game FE is? Don't get me wrong, 3H had a good OST, but there were some weird as hell songs for an FE game (remember Shambala lol?). I'm sure this game will still have some great, upbeat map themes though.
Shambhala was a strange location in general for FE and the music fit the tone there, though.

Shambala was weird, but purposely so, and I kind of loved it for it; I also really liked how some tracks in the game used electronic backing/synth/drums, it really made it stand out. I do love the tone of that battle you were talking about though, and in general I'm sure the music will be great given what we've heard so far.

Shambhala was a strange location in general for FE and the music fit the tone there, though.

Shambala was weird, but purposely so, and I kind of loved it for it; I also really liked how some tracks in the game used electronic backing/synth/drums, it really made it stand out. I do love the tone of that battle you were talking about though, and in general I'm sure the music will be great given what we've heard so far.
Yeah, that's true I guess lol. Still, the music direction of this game so far is very distinct from 3H's electronic vibe, which is great imo. Everything about this game so far seems distinct from 3H, which I'm happy about. FE is a major, 4m+ seller IP at this point, (or soon will be, if it hasn't crossed 4m yet) so it should strive for each new entry being different. A big issue with Fates imo was how similar it was to Awakening. Classic FE games had that issue too, but since FE were so niche back then, it wasn't as big of a deal imo.

Yeah, that's true I guess lol. Still, the music direction of this game so far is very distinct from 3H's electronic vibe, which is great imo. Everything about this game so far seems distinct from 3H, which I'm happy about. FE is a major, 4m+ seller IP at this point, (or soon will be, if it hasn't crossed 4m yet) so it should strive for each new entry being different. A big issue with Fates imo was how similar it was to Awakening. Classic FE games had that issue too, but since FE were so niche back then, it wasn't as big of a deal imo.
Only if you mean by "classic FE" the GBA games. FE1 to FE5 are quite distinctive in many aspects from each other. And I think it's understandable that they played it safe with Fates, Awakening could have been the last game and it's success rescued the franchise. They wanted to play it safe with the next entry most likely.

FE is a major, 4m+ seller IP at this point, (or soon will be, if it hasn't crossed 4m yet) so it should strive for each new entry being different.
I think it likely crossed the 4Mill mark at some point in 2022, there hasn't been any update on 3H sale data since December of last year.

Despite Three Houses no every clicking with me, I oddly find myself still really excited for Engage! I am hoping there will be less micromanaging in this one, as I credit that for maybe one of the reasons why I couldn't get myself to finish Three Houses.

That aside, I'm really in love with how this game is shaping up visually. The environments look so beautiful!

A big part of getting through subsequent playthroughs of Three Houses was knowing when to go "this is good enough" and going with automatic passage of time for entire months worth of tutoring and so on

I thought the Ashen Wolves DLC was terrible as a story, but the way it worked as a classic Fire Emblem experience, with everyone having one or two set classes, unique battalions, and no between-mission tutoring... it was very good. I wouldn't mind if Engage was mostly like that, though I feel like it can't be that lean

A big part of getting through subsequent playthroughs of Three Houses was knowing when to go "this is good enough" and going with automatic passage of time for entire months worth of tutoring and so on

I thought the Ashen Wolves DLC was terrible as a story, but the way it worked as a classic Fire Emblem experience, with everyone having one or two set classes, unique battalions, and no between-mission tutoring... it was very good. I wouldn't mind if Engage was mostly like that, though I feel like it can't be that lean
Cindered Shadows was weird, in that the map design was structured more akin to earlier games like PoR, but there was a very strict set of characters you have access to in the DLC. For what it was as a DLC side-story, it was great, but it also had a very rigid set of expectations for what the player could do compared to the main game being far more open in how the player could arrange their force.

Cindered Shadows was weird, in that the map design was structured more akin to earlier games like PoR, but there was a very strict set of characters you have access to in the DLC. For what it was as a DLC side-story, it was great, but it also had a very rigid set of expectations for what the player could do compared to the main game being far more open in how the player could arrange their force.
That's true, but that's part of why I liked it. It was very much a series of puzzles that could be solved, insofar as FE can be solved, by minimizing calculated risk

It offered a look into what a Fire Emblem of that kind would look like: much more restrictive than even the most classic games, but still worth playing

I don't think I'd want a 25-chapter campaign of that kind, necessarily, but it did make me appreciate the possibilities of a game with much less character customization, ala games pre-Awakening

That's the reason why I like it too. It had WAY better map design because it didn't have to take into account, that anybody could be verything or nothing.

It's Marth Fire Emblem himself!

Really glad to hear the returning characters have full VA, can't wait for Kira Buckland Eirika to be in a mainline game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom