• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Fire Emblem Engage — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that Ephraim is in the game? At the beginning of the video posted last week (the one that went over Sigurd's emblem abilities) you can see Timerra(?) with Eirika's emblem ring equipped, however, later on in the video Eirika's portrait had been replaced with Ephraim's.
unknown.png

Here's some 'new' stuff: Magic cancels out evasion, and flyers can cross terrain that grounded units can't. Also, not that this is too surprising, but the corrupted are a result of the resurrection of the Fell Dragon.

Edit: Here's a video and some extra tweets explaining Celica's abilities (the timing on these tweets is getting real weird I swear lol):

Last edited:

Here's some 'new' stuff: Magic cancels out evasion, and flyers can cross terrain that grounded units can't. Also, not that this is too surprising, but the corrupted are a result of the resurrection of the Fell Dragon.

Edit: Here's a video and some extra tweets explaining Celica's abilities (the timing on these tweets is getting real weird I swear lol):

Thanks for explaining the tweets.
So they're using the fe gaiden / echoes style of magic.
The rest is classic stuff for fliers (who I guess can't dismount like in Threehouses thank god)

Thanks for explaining the tweets.
So they're using the fe gaiden / echoes style of magic.
The rest is classic stuff for fliers (who I guess can't dismount like in Threehouses thank god)
Are they using that style of magic or is it just something related to Emblem Celica?

Are they using that style of magic or is it just something related to Emblem Celica?
Units with the Magic battle style ignore terrain bonuses when attacking with magic. For example, enemies hiding in Bushes are usually hard to hit, but they can attack these enemies easily from a distance. It's in the first tweet before talking about emblem celica, so it's just how magic works in the game.

Units with the Magic battle style ignore terrain bonuses when attacking with magic. For example, enemies hiding in Bushes are usually hard to hit, but they can attack these enemies easily from a distance. It's in the first tweet before talking about emblem celica, so it's just how magic works in the game.
Ah. When you said Gaiden/Echoes, I was confused because I thought you meant spell lists per character tied to level and casting cost of HP, which didn't make sense given what we'd seen.

Here's the tweets introducting Solm and Timerra. Nothing too interesting, mainly stuff we already knew, and clips that were already available on the official website.

It seems that Ephraim is in the game? At the beginning of the video posted last week (the one that went over Sigurd's emblem abilities) you can see Timerra(?) with Eirika's emblem ring equipped, however, later on in the video Eirika's portrait had been replaced with Ephraim's.
unknown.png
Since they're twins maybe the gimmick of their ring is you can switch between the twins with each having different abilities.

Here's some 'new' stuff: Magic cancels out evasion
Looking at some translations of the tweet, apparently, this only applies if a character has the "Mystical" typing to their class like mages or Celine's variant of the Noble, like where you see the class say Mage / Mystical or Noble / Mystical.

So it looks like any unit, regardless of class, can use the emblem hero's weapon while engaged but there are benefits to matching them with more appropriate units like Celica with units that have the mystical typing.

Something else I saw pointed out in Serenes Forest's analysis of the Marth introduction video is that Vander is seen to be an Axe Fighter in it instead of a Paladin, so it's looking like the game will have class changing after all. I'm curious how this new typing thing works with that, like if character's always keep their typing when changing classes and if you can mix and match classes and typings.

Here's the tweets introducting Solm and Timerra. Nothing too interesting, mainly stuff we already knew, and clips that were already available on the official website.

Oh great, another Arabic/Islamic looking location with people who look nothing like them. The only redeeming thing is that they're not white.

Looking at some translations of the tweet, apparently, this only applies if a character has the "Mystical" typing to their class like mages or Celine's variant of the Noble, like where you see the class say Mage / Mystical or Noble / Mystical.

So it looks like any unit, regardless of class, can use the emblem hero's weapon while engaged but there are benefits to matching them with more appropriate units like Celica with units that have the mystical typing.

Something else I saw pointed out in Serenes Forest's analysis of the Marth introduction video is that Vander is seen to be an Axe Fighter in it instead of a Paladin, so it's looking like the game will have class changing after all. I'm curious how this new typing thing works with that, like if character's always keep their typing when changing classes and if you can mix and match classes and typings.
Personally, I think each class type (I think they're called "battle styles" or something like that?) will provide a pool of certain classes to choose from when reclassing, and standard class promotion will work similarly to the branching promotions from Sacred Stones, Awakening, and Fates. Either that or promotions and reclassing will function similarly, with both offering a pool of classes to choose from depending on a character's battle style.

New tweets, mainly old stuff from the website again, but we get to learn a bit more about these character's personalities. One interesting thing to note, though: Gradlon, the country the Four Hounds and Fell Dragon are from, is said to have been destroyed and the Fell Dragon buried deep in the sea. I find this interesting because I recall the Reddit leaker (same guy who mentioned explorable towns and dungeons) mentioning an "aquatic city". Hmmmmm... I wonder if Gradlon itself is underwater too, and we have to travel there near the end of the game?

Last edited:
Oh great, another Arabic/Islamic looking location with people who look nothing like them. The only redeeming thing is that they're not white.
Based on first seeing the character I thought this was gonna be a

awkward-collar-tug-the-simpsons.gif

depiction of Pacific Islanders or something, but yeah, this is... something else

Based on first seeing the character I thought this was gonna be a

awkward-collar-tug-the-simpsons.gif

depiction of Pacific Islanders or something, but yeah, this is... something else
It's like they did a quick Google search for non-Western architecture and decided to use the usual character design with a brown/black skin tone.

A bunch of new stuff!

• the glowing blue circles on the map completely refills a unit's engage guage (so that they can engage again) when they finish the turn on a tile w/ a blue circle
  • Surprise, surprise, chests contain items. If an enemy steals an item, you can get it back back killing them before they escape. Nothing too unusual here.
  • A bunch of other stuff from the video that I'm too lazy to summarize lol. Looks cool though!

A bunch of new stuff!

• the glowing blue circles on the map completely refills a unit's engage guage (so that they can engage again) when they finish the turn on a tile w/ a blue circle
  • Surprise, surprise, chests contain items. If an enemy steals an item, you can get it back back killing them before they escape. Nothing too unusual here.
  • A bunch of other stuff from the video that I'm too lazy to summarize lol. Looks cool though!

That reminds me of the GBA games where enemy thieves would make a beeline for chests so it was always a rush to cut them down if you wanted the goodies!

That reminds me of the GBA games where enemy thieves would make a beeline for chests so it was always a rush to cut them down if you wanted the goodies!

You should play Fire Emblem Heroes, they have a weekly game mode where the goal is to kill 6 enemy thieves before they leave the map. And they're running towards those "leave" tiles from turn one.

They drop useful items (for example an item that "dances" one of your units) but are of course protected by enemy heroes.

Can be quite a tricky mode, as the enemy heroes have very inflated stats.

You should play Fire Emblem Heroes, they have a weekly game mode where the goal is to kill 6 enemy thieves before they leave the map. And they're running towards those "leave" tiles from turn one.

They drop useful items (for example an item that "dances" one of your units) but are of course protected by enemy heroes.

Can be quite a tricky mode, as the enemy heroes have very inflated stats.
That sounds fun!

That sounds fun!

It is, until you miss out on one thief again due to the bullshit inflated stats enemy for the n-th time. ;]

Btw. i forgot, it's a score based mode. Means you get points depending on your team setup, 10 bonus points per killed thief, and losing units decreases your score.

More gameplay details (there's some other stuff down the thread)

Also more legacy maps!

The 3-13 memes have won.
Also I'm pretty curious on how they'll balance the weapons without durability.
In fates it was mostly debuff but they were mostly inconsequential. Also I love the fact that some weapons have repositioning skills, they're giving a ton of different options for player phase.

That's a great look at Byleth. And I assume the game will have remixes of tracks from all of the previous games?

This is going to be an interesting game to play as someone who's mostly new to the series and hasn't played most of them. I'm sure it'll still be a good experience, I just hope that it doesn't lean into past games/nostalgia/references TOO much for people who aren't as familiar.

I'm confused as to why they'd speculate an FE6 Gaiden chapter would be Lyn's map and not a map from, you know, her own game.
Probably because FE6 is the only game so far to get two legacy maps instead of one like the other games, and one of them is specifically from the Sacae route.

Bunch of new stuff!
  • terrain bonus details. As expected, terrain such as bushes increase your avoid, but it also decreases movement.
  • You can talk to villagers to earn items, but you need to be quick so that villages don't get destroyed by enemy units
  • Basic preperation stuff. Like usual, you can choose which space units start on at the beginning of a chapter. You can also check terrain info and enemy abilities.
  • Bunch of other new stuff in the Corrin vid. Sorry, I'm lazy lol
Also: holy crap that small portion of the preperations theme we get to hear is amazing! I have a feeling this game is gonna have the GOAT FE soundtrack.

Last edited:
Do we know how many of the game's maps will be from older games? I don't have a good grasp on how many classic maps have been announced so far, but they seem to be a pretty significant portion of an expected ~25-ish chapter game

Do we know how many of the game's maps will be from older games? I don't have a good grasp on how many classic maps have been announced so far, but they seem to be a pretty significant portion of an expected ~25-ish chapter game
So far, these maps seemed to have been referenced:
FE5/Thracia 776's Chapter 22 "Across the River"
FE6/Binding Blade's Chapter 20 (Sacae) "The Bow of the Winds"
FE6/Binding Blade's Chapter 21 "The Binding Blade"
FE9/Path of Radiance's Chapter 8 "Despair and Hope"
FE9/Path of Radiance's Chapter 23 "The Great Bridge" or Radiant Dawn's 3-11 "Just Cause"

Unclear if there'll be more.

Last edited:
There's been no official indication on how many of the maps are legacy maps or what context they appear (main story, paralogues, etc.)

Yeah, no indication of how many remade maps there are, but it seems like there might be one per emblem, so 12? The current guess is that they're special paralogue maps tied to the emblems. I mean, I hope so, map remakes are cool as a side thing, but I don't want the main story to have a bunch of old maps randomly thrown in lol.

Also, I really doubt this game is gonna be the standard 22-28 chapter FE story given that this is a big home console game. They were able to justify it in 3H because of the multi-route gimmick (even if it was mostly the same maps reused), but this game seems to be a singular route. Plus, I feel like we've seen waaaaaaay too many different maps at this point for it to be "only" 25 chapters or whatever, unless IS doesn't care about spoiling the entire game lol. We've seen some pretty high stat values too. In the Corrin vid the Halloween girl (Panettone?) has 71 HP for example.

Yeah, no indication of how many remade maps there are, but it seems like there might be one per emblem, so 12? The current guess is that they're special paralogue maps tied to the emblems. I mean, I hope so, map remakes are cool as a side thing, but I don't want the main story to have a bunch of old maps randomly thrown in lol.

Also, I really doubt this game is gonna be the standard 22-28 chapter FE story given that this is a big home console game. They were able to justify it in 3H because of the multi-route gimmick (even if it was mostly the same maps reused), but this game seems to be a singular route. Plus, I feel like we've seen waaaaaaay too many different maps at this point for it to be "only" 25 chapters or whatever, unless IS doesn't care about spoiling the entire game lol. We've seen some pretty high stat values too. In the Corrin vid the Halloween girl (Panettone?) has 71 HP for example.
Paralogues for the Emblems would make a ton of sense, I hope they go that route too.

Depends on if it really is one route or if they just haven’t shown some route splits off yet. But I’m inclined to agree given what we’ve seen.

This is going to be an interesting game to play as someone who's mostly new to the series and hasn't played most of them. I'm sure it'll still be a good experience, I just hope that it doesn't lean into past games/nostalgia/references TOO much for people who aren't as familiar.
As someone who has only played 3 houses (loved it), I wonder about this as well.

If part of the idea is to celebrate the history of fire emblem, wouldn’t another way to do that be…by putting more of the older ones on switch to reach the new audience?

Or maybe they are holding off for remakes and not straight ports?

As someone who has only played 3 houses (loved it), I wonder about this as well.

If part of the idea is to celebrate the history of fire emblem, wouldn’t another way to do that be…by putting more of the older ones on switch to reach the new audience?

Or maybe they are holding off for remakes and not straight ports?
The FE1 localization was a special case and event. They'd probably prefer to do more remakes like Shadows of Valentia.

Today's tweets! As expected, they're revealing some stuff that was already on the website (this time the other two of the Four Hounds) but we also get some new stuff! Namely a clip showing off reinforcements plus Yunaka.

Edit: More tweets lol:

Looks like daggars cause poison, and the poison effect stacks if you continue attacking the same enemy w/ daggars. Also, thieves can open doors like usual, but you can also choose to attack a door until it breaks open.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom