• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Fire Emblem Engage — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crits looking better and better. Also Pegasi with Axes first for the series. I hope we get classes with weird weapons.

Just watched the latest full trailer. I still expect we will get a Fire Emblem Direct sometime next month 🤞

Anyways, yeeaahhh ... not feeling high hopes for the story or the writing.

But on the positive side!

- A whole faction of cool-looking dark-skinned characters! I knew they could do it!

- So on board with BROdia!!!

- It continues to look really clean and a clear cut above Three Houses in that department

Some cool new characters (I think?) shown here. Honestly I think the game looks great, gameplay seems it'll be a ton of fun.

So, i just skipped over the trailer, without sound (not that i would've understood japanese), but does it look like the Emblem Lords are able to equip/use different weapons?

I've seen Lyn with Mulagir (the bow) for example. Next shot she uses a sword again.

Ok gameplay is looking really damn spicy!

Story is most likely going to be nonsense and not as complex as Three Houses but this game was designed as a game to celebrate it's 30th anniversary so w/e.

Also, Bylthe looks pretty good??

Another new trailer!

This is a whole other level of polish and flourish versus Three Houses. I'm getting more excited for it.

Edit - also the super sized beast type enemies are back. I hadn't spotted that in any previous trailer, but then again I haven't really looked at the footage very closely.

Oh my goddd this game looks SOOOO GOOD!!

The stand mechanics are gonna make the gameplay so more versatile!! Kinda sad we don't get F!Byleth, but atleast we got F!Corrin!

But M!Byleth looks really really cool as well so I don't consider it a loss tbh!

This is shaping up to be the Firiest of Emblems of all 🤩

Another new trailer!

Looks amazing, the map design seems so freaking cool, it really looks to be a blast to play.
I seriously can't wait to play it, the different mechanics are great and kind of overpowered but since they're on a meter they don't seem to dominate the game the same way as the pair up mechanic did in awakening.

If I'm understanding correctly every playable unit can engage any emblem which means each character has like 12 different designs, pretty damn insane

Good to see big monster units taking up 4 tiles returning, I like those. The maps look like a huge amount of fun, can’t wait!

I do like the way SRPGs over the years have moved from having tiles highlighted as a threat range to being able to see with the red lines exactly which enemy troops will be able to attack your final position as you move. It’s elegant. Unsure which SRPG started doing that first, was it Valkyria Chronicles perhaps?

This is a whole other level of polish and flourish versus Three Houses. I'm getting more excited for it.

Edit - also the super sized beast type enemies are back. I hadn't spotted that in any previous trailer, but then again I haven't really looked at the footage very closely.
Yeah these animations and visuals are freakin' sick. Definitely puts Three Houses to shame on that front. Plus the gameplay looks really interesting and the Emblems seem to have some interesting new mechanics

I'm one of the few people still holding out hope for the story too, so overall pretty excited for this one!

And we still haven't seen the rumored overworld exploration stuff, which I'm also really interested in, provided it's true of course
cool trailer.
wait a minute, isn't Robin missing? Where are the awakening characters
Lucina is representing Awakening

As the tweet says the jp site for the game as been updated with new infos and new mini trailers for the new characters, it's getting a bit spoilery but check out the gameplay trailer for the malign knight trailer because it looks incredible and that soundtrack is a work from god.

She wasn't in this trailer, but she had a brief appearance in the previous one, and was in the artwork depicting Emblems in the reveal trailer.

The only Emblems in that art not seen since as of present are Leif and Eirika.
also micaiah I think.

WOW, didn't expect such a juicy trailer! I hope we're still gonna get a FE Engage Direct tho. Especially since this trailer is JP only lol.

I'm pretty sure this is actually the first time we've seen monster units in Engage. Pretty interesting actually, I didn't expect them (or most 3H mechanics/enemies) to make a return!

WOW, didn't expect such a juicy trailer! I hope we're still gonna get a FE Engage Direct tho. Especially since this trailer is JP only lol.

I'm pretty sure this is actually the first time we've seen monster units in Engage. Pretty interesting actually, I didn't expect them (or most 3H mechanics/enemies) to make a return!
With any luck, it'll be a short delay between this trailer and an equivalent trailer in English.

With any luck, it'll be a short delay between this trailer and an equivalent trailer in English.
Gosh, I hope so! ...Still hope we're getting a Direct too, lol. I wanna see if towns and dungeons are in this game, dammit!

btw guys, the official JP site has lots of new clips and info too: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/ayfna/index.html

edit: ^^Here's a couple of my fave new battle clips w/ Fogato and Timerra:

Not only are their animations incredible, but the map theme sounds like an absolute banger!

Last edited:
with that new Japanese trailer and all the ability stuff in it this is suddenly the most excited I ever remember feeling about a Fire Emblem game and i've played like half the series

Yeah looking at the webpage, and Ivy is a mage wyvern rider. Also I know there is going to be a lot of division with Hortensia design and her map theme

Yeah that gameplay trailer looks hot. I feel like map design was lacking in 3H and so far these are looking a bit more interesting. Interested to see where the out of battle gameplay lands (hopefully not as much as 3H puh-leeze). Also, showing the evil versions of the Emblems being red haired characters finally explains toothpaste-chan’s hair, Intelligent Systems literally made a game around the spikey blue-haired protagonist meme.

Yeah that gameplay trailer looks hot. I feel like map design was lacking in 3H and so far these are looking a bit more interesting. Interested to see where the out of battle gameplay lands (hopefully not as much as 3H puh-leeze). Also, showing the evil versions of the Emblems being red haired characters finally explains toothpaste-chan’s hair, Intelligent Systems literally made a game around the spikey blue-haired protagonist meme.
Honestly I’m so enthused for the gameplay and maps, it looks fantastic to me, can’t wait.

English version of yesterdays overview trailer.

Interesting stuff. Looks like one of Byleth’s abilities is a dancer-style one of ‘adjacent units move again’. And Corrin offers terrain effects and healing tiles. I always like that stuff more than just the damage boosts.

The cries of ‘Engaaage!’ are some hilarious power rangers stuff though. I shall embrace the cheesiness, it’s the only way :D

Last edited:
I wonder what the difficulty is going to be like if you're giving characters all these crazy abilities to pull from and utilise as an Advance Wars-esque super power. Still, it's a neat gameplay addition. I wonder if there will be more rings beyond the 12 (seems likely if there are evil rings too as hinted at in the story trailers).

I wonder what the difficulty is going to be like if you're giving characters all these crazy abilities to pull from and utilise as an Advance Wars-esque super power. Still, it's a neat gameplay addition. I wonder if there will be more rings beyond the 12 (seems likely if there are evil rings too as hinted at in the story trailers).

Given the last story trailer showed Red-Haired (Evil) Marth, i speculate that the rings the bad guys have are the corrupted Emblem Rings the good guys use, so you start with one (Marth) and by progressing through the story you take out the evil henchpeople, and cleanse the Emblem Rings so that they become usesable for your own chars.

That is a nifty way to limit the potential Emblem Rings they have to do and explains the "how to get them" as it's tied to story / game progress.

My big hope for this, gameplay-wise, was that the characters would be slightly more constrained in what they can do when compared to Three Houses, which let you turn everyone into unstoppable hell mosnters

That's one thing I really appreciated about the Ashen Wolves DLC—the story was absolute pants, but the characters were set up to function within very narrow parameters, with fixed battalions and everything. Then the missions were balanced around those abilities. It felt great

I'm concerned that Engage's use of the emblem system will lend it to the same balance problems that the main campaign of Three Houses (or, God help us, Awakening) had, and I need the game to be nicely balanced if the story is going to be some anniversary multiverse palooza nonsense

Last edited:
Given the last story trailer showed Red-Haired (Evil) Marth, i speculate that the rings the bad guys have are the corrupted Emblem Rings the good guys use, so you start with one (Marth) and by progressing through the story you take out the evil henchpeople, and cleanse the Emblem Rings so that they become usesable for your own chars.

That is a nifty way to limit the potential Emblem Rings they have to do and explains the "how to get them" as it's tied to story / game progress.
Could also make FE bosses a little more interesting than the usual static ‘I only react if you come near me’ behaviour, if they have a small range of abilities from ranged attacks to buff and terrain effects.

Could also make FE bosses a little more interesting than the usual static ‘I only react if you come near me’ behaviour, if they have a small range of abilities from ranged attacks to buff and terrain effects.

Dunno, some stuff they've included in the gameplay overview feels downright broken. Like the "run across almost the whole map" stuff from Sigurd.

I don't want enemy bosses who often come with bullshit stats to have such a reach.

Bonus if it's a cav boss and then Canto's away or worse. ^^

Dunno, some stuff they've included in the gameplay overview feels downright broken. Like the "run across almost the whole map" stuff from Sigurd.

I don't want enemy bosses who often come with bullshit stats to have such a reach.

Bonus if it's a cav boss and then Canto's away or worse. ^^
Oh for sure, I was more thinking of them still not moving but having a range of buff, healing and terrain effects on their own remaining troops around them

There was a clip where they used a special (from Lyn) and it did not 1-shot and another (with Marth) where they did single digit damage. So it appears that it wont be "Lets make a walking tank" and more of a boost for a difficult situation, hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom