• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Fire Emblem Engage — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody's suggesting there's a problem with it outselling Three Houses, just that there's no reason to assume that this game will mark a permanent shift to a Heroes-style character/plot combo for the series going forward

I see what you say. Engage rings are probably just for this game and made for anniversary purposes. I'm personally more curious about the break mechanic myself. If well done in practice, I could see being used it in other games forward.

Nothing too interesting, but we do get a bit of new info, a new screenshot, and new art of Alfred. The Fell Dragon's name is "Sombre" I think?

This absolutely did not happen with Fates, a game I'm a noted liker of in spite of thinking (a lot, though not all, of) the character designs are pretty trash

It's not what you'd call a standard cycle for the series

People dream for FE to have gameplay as good As FE Conquest especially after TH and Echoes wombo combo of bad Srpg gameplay.

Fates biggest problem is that the game had 3 story lines and they all sucked. No amount of changing the character designs or art style would have salvaged it. People criticizing Engage because it appears to have a "generic FE story", Fates wishes even the Birthright route could have been "generic FE story".

Well, for Engage, at least so far, it looks like they're not having split storylines like in TH and Fates.

Okay, one small problem I have with this designs. Armor characters look like their head is way to small for their body. It's the same size as the head of the girl next to him I guess, but it looks WAY smaller because of the oversized armor. ... actually, is his head smaller than the head of the woman?

FhuwF9TVsAAUZsB.jpg

Okay, one small problem I have with this designs. Armor characters look like their head is way to small for their body. It's the same size as the head of the girl next to him I guess, but it looks WAY smaller because of the oversized armor. ... actually, is his head smaller than the head of the woman?

FhuwF9TVsAAUZsB.jpg
I think it’s just that his armor is just so bulky. And everyone around him isn’t really wearing armor too lol.

Just realize that girls hair is almost touching the floor. The two on the left compared to the two on the right seem pretty funny lol

I think it’s just that his armor is just so bulky. And everyone around him isn’t really wearing armor too lol.

Just realize that girls hair is almost touching the floor. The two on the left compared to the two on the right seem pretty funny lol
I know. It's just an optic illusion, but I really think it looks bad that way. Also I can't really imagine his body type looking anyway realistic without the armor. His arms must be strangely deformed? Not sure. The armor design just doesn't really work for me and let's the character look bad. Older FE games didn't had this problem.

FhuwF9TVsAAUZsB.jpg
He's also tall, in the back, and at an angle that is slightly looking up at them, so I think he's getting perspective'd like Kevin Hart's wife.

You know what's funny with those really oversized armor sets? They're prolly trying to imitate the GBA games' sprites. Armorknights and Generals were looking like fucking Gundams in those. Though the character art showed them with less massive ones, more normal.

What works for "generic" 2D sprites doesn't work for a game where you have a detailed 3D model.

Awakening had the same problem with the cav and armor classes.

I know. It's just an optic illusion, but I really think it looks bad that way. Also I can't really imagine his body type looking anyway realistic without the armor. His arms must be strangely deformed? Not sure. The armor design just doesn't really work for me and let's the character look bad. Older FE games didn't had this problem.
I’m not seeing it. Looks fine.

Feels like The Black Knight. Takes off his mask and looks like him honestly.

He's also tall, in the back, and at an angle that is slightly looking up at them, so I think he's getting perspective'd like Kevin Hart's wife.
Look at the feet. He is not in the back. Only the large woman is slightely in front, all other characters are on the same line. Not sure. Something just looks really wrong with his proportions. They might be fine, but the armor just let them look ridiculous imo. But I have the same problem with Boucheron, who's head looks slightely too small for me. Might be I'm the only one tho.

boucheron-profile.jpg

FhwkGBTWAAEdfEE

I think the reason it "wasn't an issue" for the GBA games was mostly because armor knights and generals wore a mask to hide the face. The rare character like Zephiel who doesn't wear a mask does have some tiny head huge body energy going on.

Last edited:
FhwkGBTWAAEdfEE

I think the reason it "wasn't an issue" for the GBA games was mostly because armor knights and generals work a mask to hide the face. The rare character like Zephiel who doesn't where a mask does have some tiny head huge body energy going on.

See! It's a Gundam!

Allow me to post this little joke fanart for Sacred Stone's Amelia as a General:

VRU_55322_asi_usaba_amelia_su_armadura_de_general_en_fire_emblem.jpg

fire emblem always had anime inspired designs for their characters, it's just that the series is so old that the popular style of animes changed multiple time in the years and fire emblem style changed together with it.

I totally agree

I like most of the newly revealed designs over the ones in the first trailer. The twins look incredibly off to me and Celine/her Pegasus Knight have the same face. Meanwhile we got some nice looking characters like the Sylvain looking guy, all the dark skinned characters look cool, the villains are hit and miss but some are pretty neat etc

You know what's funny with those really oversized armor sets? They're prolly trying to imitate the GBA games' sprites. Armorknights and Generals were looking like fucking Gundams in those. Though the character art showed them with less massive ones, more normal.

What works for "generic" 2D sprites doesn't work for a game where you have a detailed 3D model.

Awakening had the same problem with the cav and armor classes.
Didn’t they all used to have sound effects like the ground was quaking when they stepped forwards and backwards in their combat animation? I always that that was funny, like they were battlesuits or something too!

Didn’t they all used to have sound effects like the ground was quaking when they stepped forwards and backwards in their combat animation? I always that that was funny, like they were battlesuits or something too!

11-knightcrit.gif

E: I also love how the armorknight in the GBA games had a bigger, second breatsplate that was a detachable shield.

Like, it feels like you would need a Warhammer 40K Space Marine, people genetically engineered to be way bigger and stronger than a normal human, to actually wear this armor.

Last edited:

FhuwF9TVsAAUZsB.jpg
You only have one problem with the designs of the clown committee?

I love when villains look goofy as hell! I think it's account of all the 2000s RPGs I played that loved doing that trope

Still, the four in the screenshot above are clearly no match for our beloved Killerclown from under ground Kronya.

I have no problem with the bulky armor in Engage. I definitely think it looks better than the GBA armor units. I really don't have nostalgia for those battle animations even though I played FE7 and 8 way back when.

FhuwF9TVsAAUZsB.jpg
I actually like the design of the shorter girl quite a bit.

Those other three certainly do, uh, exist.

I actually like the design of the shorter girl quite a bit.

Those other three certainly do, uh, exist.
The two guys look good, but the shorter girl is ridiculous there are like ten million bows on her outfit she reminds me of the little sister in conquest- that type of overly cutesy armor and character design.

It really feels like watching a cutscene of FE Heroes (not in a negative way mind you!)

The colors, modernish designs, and smoothness of the scenes look really good!

BW hair girl is voiced by Reina Ueda? I've heard that name a lot but can't 1 2 3 think of characters that were voiced by her.
I googled and apparently she also voices Ganyuu from Genshin! She's got a very sweet voice!

Dragon lady is voiced by Kotono Mitsuishi, who also voices Boa Hancock from One Piece!

Lots of new stuff today! The mysterious young girl from the trailers is named Vale, apparently.

This game looks insanely gorgeous, like holy shit if you look at Threehouses and then look at this is night and day.
You can feel the budget going up and I really hope they'll keep this consistent quality for the entire game.

This game looks insanely gorgeous, like holy shit if you look at Threehouses and then look at this is night and day.
You can feel the budget going up and I really hope they'll keep this consistent quality for the entire game.

Indeed.
and with this looking so visually better than Three Houses, Xenoblade 3 managing resolution way better than 2, and I bet Zelda managing a better frame rate/pacing than BotW next May, I'd vastly prefer people complaining about hw becoming "too old", to better focus (legitimate, sometimes) complains toward development teams.

Im actually really into the stupid over the top outfits, except for like, naked moon headpiece woman.

This game is extra goofy.

One small details I liked is that in the trailer and the dragon scene you can see the protagonist wrinkles when they squint/cry

not sure if it has been mentioned but the newly-added subtitles revealed the names for some of the characters shown in the trailer

3wz1g5b5jt0a1.png

gvmfmob5jt0a1.png
p32mbjb5jt0a1.png
o13iolb5jt0a1.png
nq66ijb5jt0a1.png
0yb990c5jt0a1.png
ok2fqlb5jt0a1.png
u4waa0b5jt0a1.png
image.png
3qgo53c5jt0a1.png
Something else interesting that these subtitles reveal (not that it's too surprising, but...) is that the "everyone you care about... they're all dead" VO at the end of the trailer is Sombron aka the fell dragon cobra guy that the evil snow people are trying to resurrect or whatever. I really like the voice they gave him, I hope we get some epic JRPG villain monologue from him in the endgame or something lol.

Hard to believe this game is out in just two months, now. It's coming so fast. FE Direct coming before Christmas, or after? Before feels a touch soon given the big trailer we just got, but after will also be cutting it close for release.

Hard to believe this game is out in just two months, now. It's coming so fast. FE Direct coming before Christmas, or after? Before feels a touch soon given the big trailer we just got, but after will also be cutting it close for release.
Early January seems like a good opportunity for a Direct or other focused presentation. Get out of the way of the holiday marketing flood.

Feels like most big Switch releases have had their directs roughly 5 weeks before release, so if we’re getting one I’d expect mid-December, probably the 14th. An early January direct might also work if they’re willing to have that coincide with official previews.

Tooooonnns of new shit! Blue haired dude is (I think?) Alcryst, who is Diamant's younger brother.

Edit: and holy shit the music and animations in the new battle clips are amazing lol. Glad to finally be out of Firene so we can see and hear some new stuff!!

Here I was thinking Alcryst would be a Felix nr 2 personality wise. I'm surprised he's not!
Nobuhiko Okamoto has also voiced Bakugo from Hero Academia, and Nishinoya from Haikyuu!
I had trouble pinning the voice down due to the milder personality of Alcryst. XD

Also Junichi Suwabe for Diamant, nice! Aka Archer from Fate/Stay Night and Sukuna from Jujutsu Kaisen!

I like these bros!

Last edited:

Tooooonnns of new shit! Blue haired dude is (I think?) Alcryst, who is Diamant's younger brother.

Edit: and holy shit the music and animations in the new battle clips are amazing lol. Glad to finally be out of Firene so we can see and hear some new stuff!!

Still looks amazing and I'm loving the new art for the lords, but I'm feeling it's getting a bit too spoilerish for me.

Diamant seems like a sword-wielding Lord but it feels like there’s a bit of swordmaster in there too. Or maybe it’s just cos they showed off a crit :D

Alcryst looks cool too as his younger brother. Bit of a Hector and Paris vibe.

Btw something truly interesting is that, just like the previous 2 lords, this guy also share the same lord class while also using different weapons. Right now every character shown had a different class, I wonder if it's going to be like this for the entire army, unique classes for all of them without repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom