• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Fire Emblem 18 - screenshots have been leaked (Reddit) (UPDATE: another screenshot leaked, see OP)

I know this isn't really the thread for it, but if you feel like disclosing, how much chair-kicking and hair-yanking was there really during the stark days of the Wii U era at Nintendo, behind the unconvincing external veil of projected calm and measured disappointment?
Fwiw, you can ask this directly of Kit n Krysta (former NoA employee duo) via their podcast q&a section.

From their general offhand comments of that period, sounded like kind of a bummer (unsurprisingly).

Fwiw, you can ask this directly of Kit n Krysta (former NoA employee duo) via their podcast q&a section.

From their general offhand comments of that period, sounded like kind of a bummer (unsurprisingly).
I could, and thanks for the suggestion, but with everything being on the record, I'd expect an answer only slightly less sanitized from public-facing former employees than were I able to simply ask a current employee.

I read she might be called Diamant as the Norwegian word for diamond.

Gust has a thing for picking nordic names: Atelier generally all have German names, while in Nora and The Time Studio they were all Finnish.

I guess here they'll all be Norwegian.

Gust has a thing for picking nordic names: Atelier generally all have German names, while in Nora and The Time Studio they were all Finnish.

Diamant is also German for diamond. Likely a thing in other germanic languages as well.

Fire Emblem: Diamant is unbreakable

Cant wait for her in some JoJo pose!

images

So what do you guys think the over/under is on this getting revealed at the direct in 11/12 days? I feel like its almost guaranteed, but not sure

So what do you guys think the over/under is on this getting revealed at the direct in 11/12 days? I feel like its almost guaranteed, but not sure
100%. It's releasing this FY, they have to announce it. September is cutting it too short and FE is no longer a small game, it's a big IP and will have good marketing.

100%. It's releasing this FY, they have to announce it. September is cutting it too short and FE is no longer a small game, it's a big IP and will have good marketing.
yeah makes sense, looking forward to getting a trailer

It's been a few days but I have now gotten used the desgin but I can't help but feel disappointed in the artstyle. I have faith in gameplay, character interactions/support and potentially story(?) But at this point, I need to see the game in motion to make a judgement.

Still, it's actually insane how this game got leaked and not just information but legit actual screenshots and early builds of the game.

Oh, sorry!
So..is the Princess gonna be called Pearl?

:p
I actually think we have a translation of her name

Its Flan(if we translate from Chinese that is, who knows what these names will be officially localized to)

It's been a few days but I have now gotten used the desgin but I can't help but feel disappointed in the artstyle. I have faith in gameplay, character interactions/support and potentially story(?) But at this point, I need to see the game in motion to make a judgement.

Still, it's actually insane how this game got leaked and not just information but legit actual screenshots and early builds of the game.
yeah this whole saga has been nuts. I personally like what we've seen of the artstyle, especially the model quality and environments that we've seen, but I get why its not for everyone. Curious to see the game in motion myself. We should be less than 2 weeks out now

After some distance, I'm pleased to say......I still hate this design. Like, is this how people who hate Rex's design feel. It's so ugly.

At this point, I'm hoping for two things.

1. This leak is fake

This wouldn't shock me as there some things that just seem odd. Like why would the leaker reveal more information after giving the screenshots, instead of giving it all at once. It feels like they just wanted to fan the flames they had already started. Plus, I just can't fathom why IS would go with these character designs after Three Houses went out of its way to tone down the weebiness due to the reception of Fates. The positive reception to SoV would also have let them know that fans want more grounded tone for the characters. Going back to Fates-like design would be like making another cinematic metroid game after the reaction to Other M. Surely they've read the room right? RIGHT????

2. This is just a mobile adjacent game

You're telling me IS wanted a mainline FE game out in 2020, only a year after 3H and a few months after the DLC. That just seems hard to believe. When exactly did the development of this game start? 2018? And if so, how is there a FE4 remake that's been aimed for the Switch since 2018 that's nowhere near in sight yet. You're telling me a remake is taking longer than a new built from the ground up game. The only way I can conceive of a 2020 release is if this just another mobile game, which considering the thrash designs would make sense, or a game that's meant to interact with FE Heroes. The Pokemon Let's Go of Fire Emlem if you will. Which also makes me think that whenever this gets shown, they will specifically market this as a spinoff like experience for the casual fans and then show FE4 as the game for the core crowd. Again, similar to how Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee were showcased.

For the sake of my sanity, which anyone reading this could tell ain't too well, I hope either of these cases turns out correct.

Loving the design of the main character! I loved 3Houses but I'm glad we're doing things a bit different with this new one, design wise. The summoning aspect seems great too, can't wait for the reveal!

I deeply apologize then. I must have misinterpreted your post as being overly-aggressive. If that was not your intention, then I hope you'll forgive my snarky attitude. For what it's worth, I think you're a good poster and I genuinely enjoy your posts.

Nintendo learned some difficult lessons from the Wii U years, when there were 3-4 month gaps between each game release. Kimishima made the brilliant choice to launch Switch in March 2017 (instead of Holiday 2016) because they could build momentum between software releases.

Due to the complex, unpredictable nature of project planning, Nintendo has been known to accumulate a small stockpile of completed games that can be released at a later time.

Why do they do this? Because some games have significantly longer development cycles than other games, and each project presents its own unique development challenges. A game like Metroid Prime 4 has a much larger project scope than something like Clubhouse Games.
By sitting on a stockpile of finished games, Nintendo is better able to avoid long droughts and sustain momentum with a steady flow of monthly releases.

Covid-19 created uncertainty and logistical challenges throughout the entertainment industry. During the height of the pandemic, it's safe to assume that Nintendo shuffled a few release dates and stockpiled on finished games to get around any pandemic-related issues.

This is the only reason Nintendo is still able to release one major software title (almost) every month. If Nintendo doesn't stockpile on games, you end up with a Wii U situation.
Nintendo needs to release or announce something, the amount of game announcements in the last few days that are not coming to switch is overwhelming.

Nintendo needs to release or announce something, the amount of game announcements in the last few days that are not coming to switch is overwhelming.
Like which? That we didn't already expect for them to skip Nintendo hardware, support by 3rd parties has been the same this year than in past years in general imo, and a lot better than 2017-2019

joy-con hair bahaha

maybe their hair will change color based on the controllers you have attached like the Switch in pokemon

After some distance, I'm pleased to say......I still hate this design. Like, is this how people who hate Rex's design feel. It's so ugly.

1. This leak is fake

This wouldn't shock me as there some things that just seem odd. Like why would the leaker reveal more information after giving the screenshots, instead of giving it all at once. It feels like they just wanted to fan the flames they had already started. Plus, I just can't fathom why IS would go with these character designs after Three Houses went out of its way to tone down the weebiness due to the reception of Fates. The positive reception to SoV would also have let them know that fans want more grounded tone for the characters. Going back to Fates-like design would be like making another cinematic metroid game after the reaction to Other M. Surely they've read the room right? RIGHT????

You're telling me IS wanted a mainline FE game out in 2020, only a year after 3H and a few months after the DLC. That just seems hard to believe. When exactly did the development of this game start? 2018? And if so, how is there a FE4 remake that's been aimed for the Switch since 2018 that's nowhere near in sight yet. You're telling me a remake is taking longer than a new built from the ground up game. The only way I can conceive of a 2020 release is if this just another mobile game, which considering the thrash designs would make sense, or a game that's meant to interact with FE Heroes. The Pokemon Let's Go of Fire Emlem if you will. Which also makes me think that whenever this gets shown, they will specifically market this as a spinoff like experience for the casual fans and then show FE4 as the game for the core crowd. Again, similar to how Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee were showcased.

For the sake of my sanity, which anyone reading this could tell ain't too well, I hope either of these cases turns out correct.
what about these designs is fates like and what about this is mobile quality, it looks better than three houses. You may not like the art direction, but this looks like a gust game in terms of environment and model quality. Also if you read emily's post more carefully this was not intended to release in 2020, it was content complete mid-late last year and has been polishing since.

Also you gotta stop assuming shit from brief snippets, seriously Fates must have mindbroke some fire emblem fans. Regardless, agree to disagree on the art direction, but comparing a blurry screenshot to other M is just insane dude

Also as a side note, Kozaki designed some excellent characters for fates, Fates character design is great, the problem is just poor armor design in the game and poor writing.

Anyway I like the art style, though I get why some may not, but no need for hyperbole

It's also possible that Joycon Lord is the exception in the game as opposed so the rule.

I know there's a concern about the sameface female characters, but considering TH had similar issues and managed to still provide designs that a lot of people liked, that alone shouldn't cause concern - at least not until we see more.

It's also possible that Joycon Lord is the exception in the game as opposed so the rule.

I know there's a concern about the sameface female characters, but considering TH had similar issues and managed to still provide designs that a lot of people liked, that alone shouldn't cause concern - at least not until we see more.
yeah 3H has a major case of sameface, what doesn't help is only getting a small blurry face window which exacerbates the issue, you would get similar complaints if you did the same thing with the 3H roster(same type of image)\

Besides according to the leaker we see some other major characters in that screen and they all look fairly grounded relatively

I don't think I hate anything more than Rex's ass window

Given that female Byleth was also the exception to an otherwise grounded-looking cast (including even male Byleth), I think it's relatively safe to say that most of the cast (including female characters) will look "normal" and grounded. Especially considering it's the same team from KT working on it as Three Houses (but with Gust in charge of the visuals this time) and probably a similar team composition from IS working on it (maybe with a some additional people added on the IS side this time?).

1. This leak is fake

I don't remember them every saying that they toned down Three Houses designs due to Fates feedbacks. Also Shadows of Valentia might be well received but sales wise it underperformed compared to Fates and Awakening (sure, it was late in the lifecycle, but those are the numbers)

I think it depends more on the setting (it makes sense for students at the monastery to not wear sexy outfits) and the artist's vision.

At first i was a little hesitant on the screenshots and the whole leak, but the new image of the main characters makes it all more credible. You just don't fake a design like that.

While as for number 2 it's possible that it started that way and to an extent maybe still is: the summoning mechanics for returning characters sounds like Heroes, and maybe they want to replicate the formula on a proper console title.

I'm very curious how that works, it's possible the emblems will be like core crystals in Xenoblade 2, essentially free loot boxes, or maybe it's all less random, one emblem for each character.

What we do know from past interviews:

1) Intelligent Systems collaboration with Koei Tecmo went super well so far from the start, they always praised the work they've done together. Kusakihara has worked with all KT major studios (Omega Force and Team Ninja for the Warriors games, while Kou Shibusawa's team for Three Houses) except Gust.

2) Koei Tecmo studios are very fast at making games. So if they wanted to make this alongside other projects, again it would be a good option to go with them.

I don't remember them every saying that they toned down Three Houses designs due to Fates feedbacks. Also Shadows of Valentia might be well received but sales wise it underperformed compared to Fates and Awakening (sure, it was late in the lifecycle, but those are the numbers)

I think it depends more on the setting (it makes sense for students at the monastery to not wear sexy outfits) and the artist's vision.

At first i was a little hesitant on the screenshots and the whole leak, but the new image of the main characters makes it all more credible. You just don't fake a design like that.

While as for number 2 it's possible that it started that way and to an extent maybe still is: the summoning mechanics for returning characters sounds like Heroes, and maybe they want to replicate the formula on a proper console title.

I'm very curious how that works, it's possible the emblems will be like core crystals in Xenoblade 2, essentially free loot boxes, or maybe it's all less random, one emblem for each character.

What we do know from past interviews:

1) Intelligent Systems collaboration with Koei Tecmo went super well so far from the start, they always praised the work they've done together. Kusakihara has worked with all KT major studios (Omega Force and Team Ninja for the Warriors games, while Kou Shibusawa's team for Three Houses) except Gust.

2) Koei Tecmo studios are very fast at making games. So if they wanted to make this alongside other projects, again it would be a good option to go with them.
We see it's an equipment system, no gacha stuff. This was never remotely a mobile project. I don't even understand how you come to that conclusion given how it looks

We see it's an equipment system, no gacha stuff. This was never remotely a mobile project. I don't even understand how you come to that conclusion given how it looks

Having gacha elements doesn't mean it's a mobile project, maybe they wanted to try to integrate those elements in a console title is what i wrote.

Also i'm not sure if we can judge the visuals of an early build, even Three houses look changed from the first reveal to release.

As for the two games in development at the same time is also worth pointing out, they could repeat what they did with 3 Houses with only 16 devs (the big ones) working on it, while the rest of Int Sys doing Origami King and Wario Ware.

Leaker posted some more info:

4 Big Regions (Asked for Names, got none)
Lord's base might be on a flying island
The old lords are like spirits (ghost?) you can summon, kinda like Tokyo Mirage but the game is not a spinoff. (I've never played mirage, someone clarify this)
Does not believe this game relates to the time-line of other games directly. (at least through their playthrough)

Leaker posted some more info:

4 Big Regions (Asked for Names, got none)
Lord's base might be on a flying island
The old lords are like spirits (ghost?) you can summon, kinda like Tokyo Mirage but the game is not a spinoff. (I've never played mirage, someone clarify this)
Does not believe this game relates to the time-line of other games directly. (at least through their playthrough)
For Tokyo Mirage Sessions, think Stands from Jojo or Persona.

Maybe the flying island is just to give you a mobile base and make a bit more narrative sense with how quickly your army can move from one side of the continent to the other between battles. Rather than being able to walk 800 miles for a quick skirmish then go back.

Maybe the flying island is just to give you a mobile base and make a bit more narrative sense with how quickly your army can move from one side of the continent to the other between battles. Rather than being able to walk 800 miles for a quick skirmish then go back.
agree with that, it was always super jarring how every time you finish a battle in 3H you have to treck back to the middle of the continent for the monastery

Oh I know what it is i was just directly quoting the leaker lmao
Oh sorry, I misunderstood lol.

I don't think they care much about it making sense. In previous games with a traversal map like Sacred Stones and Echoes, you could go anywhere across the continent.

I think the island will be like the Castle in Fates perhaps.

agree with that, it was always super jarring how every time you finish a battle in 3H you have to treck back to the middle of the continent for the monastery
Something I'm curious about is how this alleged flying home base works in conjunction with towns, dungeons, etc? I guess the base's purpose will be to still have a monastery equivalent (i.e. a place where you can talk to your units, build supports, etc.) while also greatly expanding the scope of the free roam exploration (and the storytelling itself) beyond the boundaries of a monastery-like "home base"?

mn3apgqb4v591.jpg

Red and blue...I legit was not expecting it to be so literal. It's literally Joy con hair, I don't know what to think lmao.
I feel she looks very... Gust-like? Maybe not the vivid red & blue, but if she had softer and somewhat more muted colors I could see this design used for an Atelier character.

Ok I have to mention it reeeeally grind my gears when someones mentions the "same-face" "gust like" style. I can call some things like the fanservice (and even there, they have reduced it a lot) but of all the developers, Gust is the one that changes artist every trilogy (or tetralogies now) to keep the keep the characters and the art direction unique. When someone says "it looks gust like" I'm like "from what series??". And this even changes with games the sames series or even the same game (like the misterious series having 2 different charater designers), i.e. the art direction and character designs varies from Lulua / Sophie 2 from the previous Arland Trilogy / Sophie 1.

IMO why they are bringing Gust as mentioned is becuase it's forte is being able to translate the artist designs into 3d models and because their experience and engine allows for greater details than what can be done in any of the other KT engines. For every artist they bring like Hidari, Kisihida, Toridamono, Yuugen and Noco, you can see their style represented in game. If anything I could call the artist chosen which I'm guessing that depends on IS rather than Gust, but calling them like that feels like a disservice to what they do.

To me it could easily be an atlus character from the DS era. If you change the pallete colors with darker ones you could tell me she is a Mostrum for Ys 9 and I wouldn't doub it

Last edited:
Ok I have to mention it reeeeally grind my gears when someones mentions the "same-face" "gust like" style. I can call some things like the fanservice (and even there, they have reduced it a lot) but of all the developers, Gust is the one that changes artist every trilogy (or tetralogies now) to keep the keep the characters and the art direction unique. When someone says "it looks gust like" I'm like "from what series??". And this even changes with games the sames series or even the same game (like the misterious series having 2 different charater designers), i.e. the art direction and character designs varies from Lulua / Sophie 2 from the previous Arland Trilogy / Sophie 1.

IMO why they are bringing Gust as mentioned is becuase it's forte is being able to translate the artist designs into 3 models and because their experience and engine allows for greater details than what can be done in any of the other KT engines. For every artist they bring like Hidari, Kisihida, Toridamono, Yuugen and Noco, you can see their style represented in game. If anything I could call the artist chosen which I'm guessing that depends on IS rather than Gust, but calling them like that feels like a disservice to what they do.

To me it could easily be an atlus character from the DS era. If you change the pallete colors with darker ones you could tell me she is a Mostrum for Ys 9 and I wouldn't doub it
I think it looks good too, the main reason people are saying its same face is that we see some characters in small blurry face windows and people are saying they look similar. You can do that with any FE cast if you show them in the same light

Back
Top Bottom