• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Fire Emblem 18 - screenshots have been leaked (Reddit) (UPDATE: another screenshot leaked, see OP)

mn3apgqb4v591.jpg

Not gonna like, she looks way better than I thought she would
She cute

mn3apgqb4v591.jpg

Not gonna like, she looks way better than I thought she would
Overall the design is fine even if I think it is busy in certain aspects. I think the issue is the hair color from the back. At least in the initial screenshot they were joycon colors. I think a more muted blue/red or maybe a darker red/blue combo would have worked better. I would also say hair style customization would help in some regards for instance a ponytail or braid.

Any guess on who could be the character designer?

MC looks very different from 3 Houses designs which makes me believe it's not Kurahana.

My bet is Yoshiku who has already done some designs for Fire Emblem Heroes and also worked on Nights of Azure with Gust.

MC looks very different from 3 Houses designs which makes me believe it's not Kurahana.

My bet is Yoshiku who has already done some designs for Fire Emblem Heroes and also worked on Nights of Azure with Gust.
this is the first person i thought of when i saw the main character design, it reminded me of Nights of Azure

I love the FeMC design.
I was thinking about playing as the male MC this time, just to change things a bit, but now I think that I’ll go with her.

Also tbh I found her design really tame fanservice wise? Idk, I think that F!Byleth, as much as I love her, is way worse fanservice wise.

Toridamomo possibly.

Yes I'm betting too for Yoshiku for the hair and the Arnice air the character has

That whole design looks dumb as hell, but still looking forward to more Fire Emblem nevertheless. I just hope they offer some good character customization options though. I'd feel embarrassed as hell if someone saw me playing that character. I'm more hyped for the remake at this point.

I love the FeMC design.
I was thinking about playing as the male MC this time, just to change things a bit, but now I think that I’ll go with her.

Also tbh I found her design really tame fanservice wise? Idk, I think that F!Byleth, as much as I love her, is way worse fanservice wise.
it looks silly from behind with no context but given the whole context of the model it looks good enough

I like that Fire Emblem is doing different things from game to game; the shifts in settings, mechanics and aesthetics are interesting.

If we do get an FE4 remake on Switch, too, then it'll be a diverse collection of games (even if Three Houses took a lot of inspiration from 4, the design and aesthetics of all three games should be notably different). Fingers crossed for a Direct announcement for the new game.

I'm not enamored with the MC's design but I don't find it abjectly awful either. I'm sort of on the fence, and I think I'll just reserve my ultimate judgment until I actually see the game as Nintendo intended. Sometimes leaks like this don't do the characters justice as compared to the final versions.

Though it doesn't really matter, I'm getting this game anyway. I've also never really been as upset about FE's design trajectory as others have. I think there are far worse offenders in the anime sphere.

So, the game was not "done" a year ago.
I've seen many people saying or thinking that Nintendo sits on games unfinished, but for a game being content complete a year ago does not mean in the slightest that the development has completed. Taking a year or more for polishing, after the game enters alpha state, is standard in the industry, especially for large games with lot of content to test.

I doubt this game isn't releasing sooner because of Nintendo sitting on it but rather that it simply hasnt finished its entire development cycle.

Could you confirm any of the gameplay or story details that leaked from the people who leaked the screenshots or would you not know any gameplay stuff?

Either way my main hope now is that we see portraits in the game somewhere and that they polish up the UI from the build that was leaked

Thank you very much for the insights!!

I'm super happy they're taking their time with this game, and I'm SUPER excited for the reveal. Oh God Direct can't come soon enough!!

PS: really excited for the Emblems mechanic, really wanna see my mains returning 🥺

Emily could you confirm any of the gameplay or story details that leaked from the people who leaked the screenshots or would you not know any gameplay stuff?

Either way my main hope now is that we see portraits in the game somewhere and that they polish up the UI from the build that was leaked
The screenshots are real imo that stuff looked pretty hard to fake honestly.

Thank you very much for the insights, Emily!!

I'm super happy they're taking their time with this game, and I'm SUPER excited for the reveal. Oh God Direct can't come soon enough!!

PS: really excited for the Emblems mechanic, really wanna see my mains returning 🥺
I'm just happy we have a full new cast and the old characters only appear as stands

The screenshots are real imo that stuff looked pretty hard to fake honestly.
not question the validity of the screenshots, just wanna know more about the gameplay and if the UI is updated in later builds to be polished up a little and have some portraits

I've seen many people saying or thinking that Nintendo sits on games unfinished, but for a game being content complete a year ago does not mean in the slightest that the development has completed. Taking a year or more for polishing, after the game enters alpha state, is standard in the industry, especially for large games with lot of content to test.

I doubt this game isn't releasing sooner because of Nintendo sitting on it but rather that it simply hasnt finished its entire development cycle.
Even with your definition the game would be finished since March. So they might indeed sit on it for up to a year in the end.

not question the validity of the screenshots, just wanna know more about the gameplay and if the UI is updated in later builds to be polished up a little and have some portraits
I’m gonna assume they have polished it up, I also read the screenshots were from an older build of the game so I would say yeah.

I’m guessing the DLC is an expansion then. Three Houses came out on July 2019 but the main expansion came out on February 2020. But it was in waves, with the final one being the expansion and the first 3 being small stuff.

Guess they wanted more out in faster pace. Or it was the fact that what was added felt very little till the end

? If it entered alpha by late august, it hasn't even been a year since then.
Emily just said that optimization ran from September 2021 through February 2022. So the game was done, not just simply content complete, by then. And it's still not announced, let alone released. So either way, they're currenty "sitting on it".

She just said that optimization ran from September 2021 through February 2022. So the game was done, not just simply content complete, by then. And it's still not announced, let alone released. So either way, they're currenty "sitting on it".

I didn't interpret that as "the game went gold on February 2022". If that's what she meant, it's another story.

I'm not sure why the need for such an aggressive stance. I was clarifying how development timelines work. Based on the posts here, some are assuming that Nintendo is sitting on finished games for over a year, potentially misinterpreting the information from your posts, but that's not how it works.

I don't think it came off as an aggressive response at all and I can't blame leakers when they get "defensive" for all the sh*t they constantly have to deal with.
At the end of the day I am just glad that Nintendo gives this new title the time it deserves.

My understanding is more along of the lines of Nintendo sits on games that are all-but finished and then continues to apply polish and make slight tweaks until closer to release, given they have the space to make such adjustments in the interceding timeframe. But if they were intending to release the game much closer to the brunt of its completion, they'd be able to facilitate that as well.

So yes, the game at the time of content completion and eventual release wouldn't be identical, and therein a pedantic perspective could deem in technically unfinished, but it would be in a state whereby it'd still be ready for release much sooner, were Nintendo of that agenda.

Nintendo learned some difficult lessons from the Wii U years, when there were 3-4 month gaps between each game release. Kimishima made the brilliant choice to launch Switch in March 2017 (instead of Holiday 2016) because they could build momentum between software releases.

Due to the complex, unpredictable nature of project planning, Nintendo has been known to accumulate a small stockpile of completed games that can be released at a later time.

Why do they do this? Because some games have significantly longer development cycles than other games, and each project presents its own unique development challenges. A game like Metroid Prime 4 has a much larger project scope than something like Clubhouse Games.
By sitting on a stockpile of finished games, Nintendo is better able to avoid long droughts and sustain momentum with a steady flow of monthly releases.

Covid-19 created uncertainty and logistical challenges throughout the entertainment industry. During the height of the pandemic, it's safe to assume that Nintendo shuffled a few release dates and stockpiled on finished games to get around any pandemic-related issues.

This is the only reason Nintendo is still able to release one major software title (almost) every month. If Nintendo doesn't stockpile on games, you end up with a Wii U situation.
Thank you for your insight Emily! Always interesting to read.

I deeply apologize then. I must have misinterpreted your post as being overly-aggressive. If that was not your intention, then I hope you'll forgive my snarky attitude. For what it's worth, I think you're a good poster and I genuinely enjoy your posts.

Nintendo learned some difficult lessons from the Wii U years, when there were 3-4 month gaps between each game release. Kimishima made the brilliant choice to launch Switch in March 2017 (instead of Holiday 2016) because they could build momentum between software releases.

Due to the complex, unpredictable nature of project planning, Nintendo has been known to accumulate a small stockpile of completed games that can be released at a later time.

Why do they do this? Because some games have significantly longer development cycles than other games, and each project presents its own unique development challenges. A game like Metroid Prime 4 has a much larger project scope than something like Clubhouse Games.
By sitting on a stockpile of finished games, Nintendo is better able to avoid long droughts and sustain momentum with a steady flow of monthly releases.

Covid-19 created uncertainty and logistical challenges throughout the entertainment industry. During the height of the pandemic, it's safe to assume that Nintendo shuffled a few release dates and stockpiled on finished games to get around any pandemic-related issues.

This is the only reason Nintendo is still able to release one major software title (almost) every month. If Nintendo doesn't stockpile on games, you end up with a Wii U situation.

Thank you! No offense taken and I do appreciate you giving us such precise informations on upcoming games.

I also definitely agree with the reasoning that it's far better for Nintendo to focus on the development of their games before thinking of when to potentially release them. The way they have largely adopted a short reveal-to-launch marketing scheme is a large indication of that, with Paper Mario and SM3D All-Stars as the biggest indications of this strategy.

I just think that this information is sometimes misinterpreted and held against Nintendo for some weird reasons sometimes. While there may have been a few games that are indeed held back for a long time (we have seen recently that MP1 HD may have reached "project completion" at Retro last September, and there's the case of that 3DS Brain Age game being held back for five years before releasing in Europe), I don't think it goes for that long or that often for Switch games. Seeing how Nintendo handled Xenoblade 3, to me it looks like they generally have a good idea of the release window of the game and give themselves a few months of maneuver to space their releases well and for extreme situations (like how Splatoon 3 clearly got delayed from July/August to September).

If Fire Emblem was content complete in late August 2021 and, say, they've polished the game until the next Spring, I wouldn't consider it sitting on it for a while if it's releasing near the end of the year (if it's 2023 though that's another story) but rather just not rushing it to release.

My understanding is more along of the lines of Nintendo sits on games that are all-but finished and then continues to apply polish and make slight tweaks until closer to release, given they have the space to make such adjustments in the interceding timeframe. But if they were intending to release the game much closer to the brunt of its completion, they'd be able to facilitate that as well.

So yes, the game at the time of content completion and eventual release wouldn't be identical, and therein a pedantic perspective could deem in technically unfinished, but it would be in a state whereby it'd still be ready for release much sooner, were Nintendo of that agenda.

Nintendo is definitely more of a perfectionist than most other publishers and perhaps the games could indeed be released earlier if they rushed more the games, that I agree with.

If the new Fire Emblem is 100% finished as of the last month or two it definitely makes sense to sit on it for a little while simply because of Three Hopes and Xenoblade 3, both of which will have heavy audience overlap.

I deeply apologize then. I must have misinterpreted your post as being overly-aggressive. If that was not your intention, then I hope you'll forgive my snarky attitude. For what it's worth, I think you're a good poster and I genuinely enjoy your posts.

Makes sense thanks Emily

will we get another leak today..
ask and you shall receive, the guy who uploaded the image of Toothpaste-chan from the front updated his class list since he made a mistake and filled everything out, here it is

KmbdCd5.jpg

Tamer being on the veil girl is interesting since it implies it could be some sort of beast tamer class

Tamer is a kinda guess placeholder until it's clearer what that character does, Source believed they were a unique class though.
Also there might be a character named Alear (that's a noble or something) which is irish I think. Could be something similar like Alwar or something, but It probably starts with an A

Other Stuff:
Hard mode is Hard (Really now? who would've thought)
A Chunk of Side Quests are harder than main quests (So basically, there's gonna be some real challenges)
PVP is Online Battles against others forces (Fates had that cool castle thing going on)
Story has random encounters (???)
The Co-op missions (what I called it) seems to be like you and a buddy take control of your army together (well that's different)
Forging is similar to Valentia
Staffs have Durability
Prince has a bro (totally overlooked this)
All eyes on da ring baby

This guy says a lot of stuff, wonder how much is true, but hey, that front facing image is a thing, isn't that neat. All I got, for now.

This is what the leaker shared on era

I know this isn't really the thread for it, but if you feel like disclosing, how much chair-kicking and hair-yanking was there really during the stark days of the Wii U era at Nintendo, behind the unconvincing external veil of projected calm and measured disappointment?

Tamer is a kinda guess placeholder until it's clearer what that character does, Source believed they were a unique class though.
Also there might be a character named Alear (that's a noble or something) which is irish I think. Could be something similar like Alwar or something, but It probably starts with an A

Other Stuff:
A Chunk of Side Quests are harder than main quests (So basically, there's gonna be some real challenges)
PVP is Online Battles against others forces (Fates had that cool castle thing going on)
Story has random encounters (???)
The Co-op missions (what I called it) seems to be like you and a buddy take control of your army together (well that's different)
Forging is similar to Valentia
Staffs have Durability
Prince has a bro (totally overlooked this)
All eyes on da ring baby

This guy says a lot of stuff, wonder how much is true, but hey, that front facing image is a thing, isn't that neat. All I got, for now.

This is what the leaker shared on era
Is this guy a different person from the Reddit leaker who talked about the free roam exploration stuff?

Is this guy a different person from the Reddit leaker who talked about the free roam exploration stuff?
this is the guy on discord who leaked the front facing picture of Toothpaste. He made an era account and posted this above pic and that text dump

I have 2 thoughts on this

1) As a long time FE fan, I do think the difficulties options are one of the games biggest points of weakness. They do a good job adding in modes that remove almost all challenge for beginners, but I find FE often struggles with appropriate difficulty for series veterans. Often times hard mode is way too easy but the maddening/lunatic modes cross the line into be fun only for masochist. I am hoping they figure out a better way to make hard modes that maintain the right balance of challenging but fair/fun.

2) I feel like a leaker giving their opinion on what they think is easy/hard about a game in a vacuum isn't particularly useful. Is this "hard mode is hard" info second hand? Or did the leaker play the game themselves? Regardless what is the skill level and experience of the person who played it?

I have 2 thoughts on this

1) As a long time FE fan, I do think the difficulties options are one of the games biggest points of weakness. They do a good job adding in modes that remove almost all challenge for beginners, but I find FE often struggles with appropriate difficulty for series veterans. Often times hard mode is way too easy but the maddening/lunatic modes cross the line into be fun only for masochist. I am hoping they figure out a better way to make hard modes that maintain the right balance of challenging but fair/fun.

2) I feel like a leaker giving their opinion on what they think is easy/hard about a game in a vacuum isn't particularly useful. Is this "hard mode is hard" info second hand? Or did the leaker play the game themselves? Regardless what is the skill level and experience of the person who played it?
Yeah I was thinking that myself, first obviously that the leaker is unreliable in terms of difficulty since it varies depending on skill level. And that FE really struggles to find a good difficulty for Veterans.

The best it ever got without being tedious is Conquest Hard, not as insane as lunatic, but a very good challenge. That was the ideal difficulty.

Also super happy they are taking the fates weapon system(down to staves with durability and no other weapons) but replacing its forging with SoV forging its a perfect combo

There needs to be a vote before they unveil the official name of the MC lol.
Toothpaste or Joycon seem very charming.
Apparently Japan is calling her Switch Chan and here in the west, everyone is calling her either Toothpaste chan or Pepsi chan lol.

Definitely more on the neutral side. It's a busy design but the low res screenshots aren't doing it any favours.

Back
Top Bottom