• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Fire Emblem 18 - screenshots have been leaked (Reddit) (UPDATE: another screenshot leaked, see OP)

Do you guys think Intelligent Systems role in the development will be similar to 3H, or could it be expanded a bit? For example, the Awakening/Fates/Echoes map designers were absent for 3H, so I wonder if they'll be a part of the IS team this time to help with/be in charge of the map design?

I mean this design isn;t even particularly pandering at all, a bit garish and overdesigned maybe, but otherwise its a normal ass anime girl. I like her.

I think this speaks more to the level of normalization on display that this design is a “normal ass anime girl.” Like, you’re not wrong on average, but…

The absurd push-up suspenders heightening her bust, the thighs on display, the corset, the high heels (which are the only part of her design with any sort of armoring — on an ostensible warrior).

Watch the male MC be fully armored. Because that would be a typical gender design disparity these days — and that’s a bad thing.

If there were sensible parity, the normal ass female warrior design would be more akin to FE9’s Titania.
Fate terribile reception? It was the best selling FE prior to FETH and...it was so on the 3ds, not on thst software sales beast thst the Switch is

It actually wasn’t. It sold fewer individual copies than Awakening did.

The oft-touted figure of Fates doing ~3m was combining sales with DLC purchases for the other routes, essentially making it so that anyone who purchased the complete all routes edition counted as 3 sales. Have an official graph:

12345.PNG

Fates had higher initial sales than Awakening, but dropped off precipitously (doing less than 2m), whereas Awakening had better word of mouth/legs.
Well this just seems like an entirely fair judgement of games you evidently haven't played?

I don’t think it’s terribly unfair. All the female units’ faces we saw in the one screenshot fall under the super young looking “moe” style, and the leaker themself said the female units were “simply designed to be much cuter than the male ones.” Hint hint.

Do you guys think Intelligent Systems role in the development will be similar to 3H, or could it be expanded a bit? For example, the Awakening/Fates/Echoes map designers were absent for 3H, so I wonder if they'll be a part of the IS team this time to help with/be in charge of the map design?
It's really difficult to say because it depends what else IS are doing. They usually handle multiple projects at a time, and it's possible they're also working on the next Paper Mario in conjunction with EPD (hiring news over in the first-party thread shows that Nintendo have once again contracted one of the lead art designers for Origami King); and we had the suggestion from Nate that a Fire Emblem 4 remake is also deep in development at IS.

So uh to sum up: I have no idea.

No; Nate described a Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War remake as having a different and more mature visual style, and that remains unconfirmed. If you're going to keep trying to discredit someone, you really should be sure you know what you're on about.
I'm not trying to discredit anybody, so watch your tone. I even did a quick research, that yielded no result, but I don't remember it being specifically about the remake, but I just spend a lot of time looking through the more recent podcasts, but go on with your assumptions.

I'm not trying to discredit nobody, so watch your tone.
You have an extensive history this site of specifically going out of your way to discredit Nate, so you don't really have any place to tell them to watch their tone.

You have an extensive history this site of specifically going out of your way to discredit Nate, so you don't really have any place to tell them to watch their tone.
So I'm guilty by default? Didn't you apologise to Seafoamgaming for making them feel attacked, but now you're doing the same to me?

Thank you very much for making people feel welcome. I'll leave you and your little circle of mutual adoration.

Bye.

I'm not trying to discredit nobody, so watch your tone. I even did a quick research, that yielded no result, but I don't remember it being specifically about the remake, but I just spend a lot of time going looking through the more recent podcasts, but go on with your assumptions.
They're not assumptions: I checked the post history and I know the podcast this was discussed on; the discussion for the more 'mature' visual style was in reference to a remake of Holy War, not a new title (as you can see, I'm also not the only user who knows this to be the case - check Amadeus' reply to your post, too). I do my research before I talk about these things and I suggest that if you're going to state Nate (or someone else) got things wrong, you should double-check what was said first.

This is the second time in recent weeks that you've made false claims about what Nate's said; you claimed he'd also stated that Koei-Tecmo couldn't be making a Fire Emblem Warriors at the same time as a mainline FE, which isn't a thing that was ever claimed, and was quite different to what he actually said. So yes, given there's a pattern of this type of behaviour, I'd say you're trying to discredit someone.

And my tone is fine. I'd suggest you double-check your information before you make false claims about other users.

I think this speaks more to the level of normalization on display that this design is a “normal ass anime girl.” Like, you’re not wrong on average, but…

The absurd push-up suspenders heightening her bust, the thighs on display, the corset, the high heels (which are the only part of her design with any sort of armoring — on an ostensible warrior).

Watch the male MC be fully armored. Because that would be a typical gender design disparity these days — and that’s a bad thing.

If there were sensible parity, the normal ass female warrior design would be more akin to FE9’s Titania.

The oft-touted figure of Fates doing ~3m was combining sales with DLC purchases for the other routes, essentially making it so that anyone who purchased the complete all routes edition counted as 3 sales. Have an official graph:

12345.PNG

Fates had higher initial sales than Awakening, but dropped off precipitously (doing less than 2m), whereas Awakening had better word of mouth/legs.

I don’t think it’s terribly unfair. All the female units’ faces we saw in the one screenshot fall under the super young looking “moe” style, and the leaker themself said the female units were “simply designed to be much cuter than the male ones.” Hint hint.

Well if we're going to bag on Gust and assume things about their games here's the "fully armoured" male party members of Atelier Ryza 2

zp-277905_Atelier-Ryza-2-Lost-Legends-and-the-Secret-Fairy_2020_09-17-20_011-320x320.jpg
Atelier-Ryza-2_Clifford3D.jpg
79001-757.png

The post I replied to wasn't even talking about the art style but about writing and characterization.

But sure continue to go off about a developer and games you know fuck all about.

I mean really the only full outfits we have seen are MC, and the fully armored Knights, and they're wearing standard knight armor, but I'd hold off on any overall judgments until I see more characters, this game may have some wild ones.

Have you guys seen Jacoba?

They're not assumptions: I checked the post history and I know the podcast this was discussed on; the discussion for the more 'mature' visual style was in reference to a remake of Holy War, not a new title (as you can see, I'm also not the only user who knows this to be the case - check Amadeus' reply to your post, too). I do my research before I talk about these things and I suggest that if you're going to state Nate (or someone else) got things wrong, you should double-check what was said first.

This is the second time in recent weeks that you've made false claims about what Nate's said; you claimed he'd also stated that Koei-Tecmo couldn't be making a Fire Emblem Warriors at the same time as a mainline FE, which isn't a thing that was ever claimed, and was quite different to what he actually said. So yes, given there's a pattern of this type of behaviour, I'd say you're trying to discredit someone.

And my tone is fine. I'd suggest you double-check your information before you make false claims about other users.
You can just say I'm guilty by default. Thanks for attacking me for no reason.

I'm done with you people.

So I'm guilty by default? Didn't you apologise to Seafoamgaming for making them feel attacked, but now you're doing the same to me?

Thank you very much for making people feel welcome. I'll leave you and your little circle of mutual adoration.

Bye.
At least they are mature enough to know when they are wrong.
Well if we're going to bag on Gust and assume things about their games here's the "fully armoured" male party members of Atelier Ryza 2

zp-277905_Atelier-Ryza-2-Lost-Legends-and-the-Secret-Fairy_2020_09-17-20_011-320x320.jpg
79001-757.png

The post I replied to wasn't even talking about the art style but about writing and characterization.
fucking abs lol.
But sure continue to go off about a developer and games you know fuck all about.
I'm down for this. If I have to see all these big boobs I better see some abs.

I'm down for this. If I have to see all these big boobs I better see some abs.

It's fine if people don't like the designs but it's sad to see people blaming a developer who as far as we know is only helping on visual aspects, and is almost certainly working with a freelance designer of Intelligent System's/Nintendo's choosing and people are also casting aspersions about that developer's games at the same time.

79001-757.png

I was speaking broadly, not specifically about Gust. Maybe you should cool off?

Wait, Nate said that the FE4 remake is going for a more mature art? Yes.
I loved Triangle Strategy, so hopefully is something similar.

At least some people know when to shut up.

I'd gladly admit to being wrong, but all the comments are about "We know who you are", when I'm on here ignoring all insider talk and biting my tongue when it comes to inside information I have and that runs counter to anything any insider says in fear that anything I say might trigger a permaban. I don't need that type of treatment. Apparently once people have their opinion of you there's no place for betterment. I don't need to be treated like that. No one does.

Sorry for derailing the thread.

It's really difficult to say because it depends what else IS are doing. They usually handle multiple projects at a time, and it's possible they're also working on the next Paper Mario in conjunction with EPD (hiring news over in the first-party thread shows that Nintendo have once again contracted one of the lead art designers for Origami King); and we had the suggestion from Nate that a Fire Emblem 4 remake is also deep in development at IS.

So uh to sum up: I have no idea.
Yeah, that's true, they may be working on a FE4 remake, although I do wonder how much work the map designers will need to put into it compared to a new game given it's a remake, and whether or not they can simultaneously work on it and the new game. Alternatively, IS's map designers could be split into two groups—one working on the new game, one on the remake. They may or may not be busy with a new Paper Mario game too ofc

2021 and 2018?
WarioWare Gold and Get It Together

12345.PNG

Eh, not a fair comparison with Fates. It's not really DLC, we have two whole complete long games. Still the second best in the series, not far behind 3H. Which makes sense, because not everyone is going to buy both entries. I bought Conquest, my wife bought Birthright. None of us played the other entry.

79001-757.png

Honestly the fem fe17's protagonists is more covered up then these dudes holy crap.

And her design is less sexuslised then byleth's she's got shorts under her armour/skirt thingy her chest is actually covered this time around.

Honestly as a girl looking at her I don't even feel as offended as I did for byleth.

It's bare minimum but it's better then the previous I'll give it that.

Eh, not a fair comparison with Fates. It's not really DLC, we have two whole complete long games. Still the second best in the series, not far behind 3H. Which makes sense, because not everyone is going to buy both entries. I bought Conquest, my wife bought Birthright. None of us played the other entry.
it helps that unlike Three Houses Fates routes are significantly different and actually have unique maps and characters

For your own sanity do not look at the era thread on this shit, its insufferable. I had to tap out
Era is constantly insufferable. There is being criticial and then there is being constantly miserable, insufferable and negative about everything and everyone. The new ads don't help either.

EDIT: I am not the biggest fan of the shown main character but maybe it is more customizable then expected. The gameplay ideas sound really cool and it is something I wanted for the series for long time.

I am not really into Fire Emblem but Shadow of Valentia was the first game after Awakening that interested me. If they really do dungeons in an more improved way with an more open over world map I would be really excited for it.

I'm not a mod, but I can assure the site at large that nobody's ever going to get banned just for not believing nate

Three Houses and Shadows of Valentia are my favorite FE games, so I trust IS to make a good game. The gameplay leaks sound really exciting, and I'm more positive on the designs than others seem to be.

Forget seeing the game tho, I need to hear it. The past few games have had amazing soundtracks that I continued listening to well after I was done playing, and I really hope I'll be able to say the same for this game.

Wait, Nate said that the FE4 remake is going for a more mature art? Yes.
I loved Triangle Strategy, so hopefully is something similar.
Hard not to make FE4 more mature given some of the subject matter and events of the game.

Though in reality I wouldn't be surprised if they change some of the details.

It's fine if people don't like the designs but it's sad to see people blaming a developer who as far as we know is only helping on visual aspects, and is almost certainly working with a freelance designer of Intelligent System's/Nintendo's choosing and people are also casting aspersions about that developer's games at the same time.
I can understand the general issue about female characters in video games. The constant need by heterosexual male devs to have their female characters sexualized is, and this is from a gay person's POV, embarrassing(obviously if a female fev does it then idc, more power to her haha). However, if the dev also allows male characters to show some skin like their abs then I got no issues lol.

I personally am not an expert is Gust so I'll hold my judgment. But also, I'm playing the game regardless so it doesn't really bother me. Women being sexualized in media is nothing new lol.

My girlfriend loves this character design. C'mon, don't assume anything. Everyone has their tastes in things.
Its a common issue on forums and reddit/twitter. There is a strange bubble. Nothing exemplefies it more than situations like this and pokemon SWSH

One route is a blessing.

Means that map design could probably massively improved since 3H reused so much
This. As much as I loved the multiple routes and choices, sometimes I just want 1 route, lots of excellent designed maps and objectives and hopefully a good story lol.

Its a common issue on forums and reddit/twitter. There is a strange bubble. Nothing exemplefies it more than situations like this and pokemon SWSH
Pokemon in general really even sometimes in a negative way. Pokemon Snap revival was asked for years by the hardcore fans and when it released while it didn't flop it was overshipped especially in Japan, so in the end the game wasn't wanted as much as you would imagine by the internet.

Pokemon in general really even sometimes in a negative way. Pokemon Snap revival was asked for years by the hardcore fans and when it released while it didn't flop it was overshipped especially in Japan, so in the end the game wasn't wanted as much as you would imagine by the internet.
yup, online gaming enthusiasts are really deluded into thinking they represent the majority of gamers

I can understand the general issue about female characters in video games. The constant need by heterosexual male devs to have their female characters sexualized is, and this is from a gay person's POV, embarrassing(obviously if a female fev does it then idc, more power to her haha). However, if the dev also allows male characters to show some skin like their abs then I got no issues lol.

I personally am not an expert is Gust so I'll hold my judgment. But also, I'm playing the game regardless so it doesn't really bother me. Women being sexualized in media is nothing new lol.

Well people's feelings about stuff are their own. The artist for Three Houses/Three Hopes, Chinatsu Kurahana, is a woman(one primarily known for Otome/Boys Love art) but if someone thinks Female Byleth's design is trashy/too sexy that's really up to them.

People should at least judge them fairly though.

Well people's feelings about stuff are their own. The artist for Three Houses/Three Hopes, Chinatsu Kurahana, is a woman(one primarily known for Otome/Boys Love art) but if someone thinks Female Byleth's design is trashy/too sexy that's really up to them.

People should at least judge them fairly though.
I thought her design was decent tbh. But if it was "trashy" I mean I'd rather it be made by a woman than some heterosexual male lol.

There are four things I have learned from many Japanese artists, even outside of games. Sometimes only one may apply, or two, or all three at once:

1. They like to often design for what looks cool, not what is practical. Nothing wrong with that at all. (which is fine by me, which is why I love the designs in Kingdom Hearts. Give me all the belts!).

2. Many artists, especially in anime and manga, like to be kawaii (cute) with their designs. There is cultural reasoning for this, and visiting the kawaii exhibit oened my eyes to a lot of what fuels "cuteness" in their signs.... and a seed of that is to break out artistically from rigid conformity of Japanese culture and as well as societal repression.

3. As for sexy designs, also see above.

Another aspect that also adds to Point 3 in some cases is the following: Japan also has a problem right now, it has an increasing aging population, declining birth rate, and studies are showing young people are not dating, let alone engaging in sexual activity.

So, this is not a pro or con about the issue. Just some background and why some artists like sexy designs.

4. Of course, there are also artists who are horn balls. I don't mind that. As long as they own up to it. Kojima does not. That is why he gets roasted. Kamiya admits it and is up front about Bayonetta being designed to match his S & M fetish. But he owns up to it.

Of course, there is media such as anime, manga, and games that are made specifically to gets someones rocks off (hentai and other erotic media) BUT that is not what we are discussing here.

As for the MC, I like two tone hair and eyes. But the actual color combination I am not keen on. Wish they chose a different one.

Back
Top Bottom