• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Fire Emblem 18 - screenshots have been leaked (Reddit) (UPDATE: another screenshot leaked, see OP)

Yeah my gut reaction to this is I’m not really a fan of how it looks, especially whatever is going on with the MC, but I’ll wait to see more (hopefully) in the upcoming direct that’s not blurry, low res, possibly old build pics before passing judgement.

In the message to which you responded, I used the formulation "supposed to look good". This encompasses both technical and artistic aspects. I dislike both aspects on those screenshots.

But nobody said it was supposed to look good in terms of style

The rumor/leak is about Gust supporting Koei tecmo other studios under a tech point of view

To judge which, those screenshots are useless

But nobody said it was supposed to look good in terms of style

The rumor/leak is about Gust supporting Koei tecmo other studios under a tech point of view

To judge which, those screenshots are useless

Those screenshots are all we have right now. That's what I'm reacting on. If new and better screenshots emerge, I will react on them as well.

Those screenshots are all we have right now. That's what I'm reacting on. If new and better screenshots emerge, I will react on them as well.
Judging a game by an early version of the game that was given really early to a team so they could start translation doesnt seem fair.

Which are the tech aspects of those menu screens that are against the supposed Gust support? That is what I am saying: in those screens there is nothing to judge.the rumored tech support by Gust

Do you know what's surprising/funny? We get all these details and leaks but for some reason, we have no idea what it's called lol.

Don't care about the fidelity or graphical style too much because this looks like some alpha shit if it's real, but that hair has got to go.

Someone made a good point about how there's a lamp in the lobby but op said its not a modern fe game. Also apparently the fe names are always in hirigana but in here it's hanzi. Idk I'm seeing some convincing points on why it might be fake.

It's 4 poor quality screenshots most likely not from a release candidate. Can't really gain much insight into the final product.
Still good to know that a new game is coming though. Looking forward to an actual reveal.

I think you guys are being overly harsh to Aquafresh, its a fun look. Also translation of everything so far

YnhXDX3.jpeg

Some people are saying that it looks Hidari's artstyle??? I don't see it at all lol.

If recall correctly, the current UI in those screenshots is the same as the first Fire Emblem Warriors UI. Most likely a placeholder.

If recall correctly, the current UI in those screenshots is the same as the first Fire Emblem Warriors UI. Most likely a placeholder.
I really hope it’s a placeholder. That UI is so bland and uninspired.

I didn’t like any of the 3D models of the characters, too. Maybe seeing them in motion and with better quality will change my mind, but for now I kinda see the characters as a downgrade compared to Awakening/Fates, Echoes and Three Houses.

It looks unfinished, but Emily said the game was finished last year, so I’m sure these screenshots are from a very early build. Hopefully.

Online? Why there would be online
Fire Emblem has had online since Shadow Dragon. Several games had PVP modes, 3 Houses had the ability to hire other player's Byleth's to your army and you could see the most used characters by people playing online. It's why we knew Black Eagles were the most popular house at launch.

Fire Emblem has had online since Shadow Dragon. Several games had PVP modes, 3 Houses had the ability to hire other player's Byleth's to your army and you could see the most used characters by people playing online. It's why we knew Black Eagles were the most popular house at launch.
Yes but it wasnt in the in-game menu as an option in three houses , maybe this time there is a bigger online component?(PvP alone could explain it as mentioned above)

Yes but it wasnt in the in-game menu as an option in three houses , maybe this time there is a bigger online component?(PvP alone could explain it as mentioned above)
I think it makes sense to move a lot of that social online information off of loading screens like it was in 3H to it's own menu so people can access it whenever/ignore it if they want. PvP making a comeback also makes sense since this game seems to be drawing inspiration from FEH where PvP has been very popular.

Nice. I like both male characters design.
Glad to hear that the summoning is a small part of the game, and maybe I can avoid it.
Hopefully it is as good as Three Houses.

I think it makes sense to move a lot of that social online information off of loading screens like it was in 3H to it's own menu so people can access it whenever/ignore it if they want. PvP making a comeback also makes sense since this game seems to be drawing inspiration from FEH where PvP has been very popular.
PvP also gives more longevity to titles which is something Nintendo has been trying all gen, so I think is likely they end up making some PvP mode if not in this entry in a future one. Especially in Japan PvP could be huge

the more i see of this the more i hate it. ignoring the technical quality of the assets, these character designs are just an absolute nadir for FE. can't believe hidari, kozaki and kurahana were all too busy, and so was every single out-of-work illustrator on twitter and pixiv

the more i see of this the more i hate it. ignoring the technical quality of the assets, these character designs are just an absolute nadir for FE. can't believe hidari, kozaki and kurahana were all too busy, and so was every single out-of-work illustrator on twitter and pixiv
Please explain to me how old man knight and normal knight are the nadir of quality for character designs for this franchise. They don't look exceptional or anything but they're perfectly good character designs

Please explain to me how old man knight and normal knight are the nadir of quality for character designs for this franchise. They don't look exceptional or anything but they're perfectly good character designs
i mean... explain to me how these are good designs?

there have been plenty of silly designs in FE history but this is just on another level. seriously, go look at the designs in three houses - i've already mentioned i wasn't a huge fan of the art but at least there's some attempt to make the outfits look like things that could reasonably be constructed and worn. meanwhile old guy's got pauldrons that would weigh more than he does just floating there, attached to nothing. of course they have enormous spikes on them. of course all the women have the exact same creepy loli face. the main character's hair is just cooked, absolutely cooked, there's no other way to put it. it's like a parody of the worst of gacha character design

Fire Emblem 18 - Screenshots
Fire Emblem - 18 Screenshots

Yeah, I had to double check the thread title.

Reminds me of the old "Metroid Prime, 4 screenshots revealed".

Regarding screens themselves, the knight people doesn't really stand out much to me, and then the MC's hair is super out there. Hard to judge how the overall design approach will look like in the full game.

there have been plenty of silly designs in FE history but this is just on another level. seriously, go look at the designs in three houses - i've already mentioned i wasn't a huge fan of the art but at least there's some attempt to make the outfits look like things that could reasonably be constructed and worn. meanwhile old guy's got pauldrons that would weigh more than he does just floating there, attached to nothing. of course they have enormous spikes on them. of course all the women have the exact same creepy loli face. the main character's hair is just cooked, absolutely cooked, there's no other way to put it. it's like a parody of the worst of gacha character design
I don't see creepy lol face at all, what? They look like standard teen/young adult anime women. And it's hard to make any judgments when all we really have of their faces is blurry ass screenshots

Agree to disagree I guess

FE has always had silly designs, here is Draug from FE 1/3.

Which shoulder armor do you prefer? The ones where it looks like the shoulder plates are hovering over his shoulders? Or the one that goes around his back and makes it look like he's wearing turtle armor?

Last edited:
FE has always had silly designs, here is Draug from FE 1/3.

Which shoulder armor do you prefer? The ones where it looks like the shoulder plates are hovering over his arms? Or the that goes around his back and makes it look like he's wearing turtle armor?
come on, buddy, you had to go back 30 years to find that one. like i said, in the post you quoted - there have been plenty of silly designs over the years. but the quality of video game art design has improved a WHOLE lot since then, across the board. it's kind of a bad look if there's been no measurable improvement over 3 entire decades, right?

besides, it's not like the character designs in the last two FE games were this bad. and they would be a much more appropriate point of comparison if you're genuinely interested in discussing it, rather than trying to poke holes in someone else's subjective response to a piece of creative work

Hm. It's a waste of time to express my opinion about some leaked screenshots of some (presumably) early build.
And even if these screenshots should be representative of the final product, Three Houses wasn't a looker either and a bit of a technical mess. But I enjoyed it more than every FE since the 3DS games. So I am optimistic.

Restera has more details about the characters and some gameplay elements in their thread. I'd suggest you go check it.
Wow, the not-very-quiet-ninja allowed that, even without an official PlayStation Blog post? What a nice fellow.

Last edited:
My only real complaint with the character design so far is that it looks like all the women are suffering from an anime sameface.

This is clearly prerelease and a low quality screenshot at that, plus we're only getting a small window into their character design, so ultimately I'm not concerned.

come on, buddy, you had to go back 30 years to find that one. like i said, in the post you quoted - there have been plenty of silly designs over the years. but the quality of video game art design has improved a WHOLE lot since then, across the board. it's kind of a bad look if there's been no measurable improvement over 3 entire decades, right?

besides, it's not like the character designs in the last two FE games were this bad. and they would be a much more appropriate point of comparison if you're genuinely interested in discussing it, rather than trying to poke holes in someone else's subjective response to a piece of creative work
I just went to the first game to prove my point that silly outfits are a part of this series DNA. I could go through every single FE game and find several examples if I wasn't at work right now. Even 3 Houses has some absurdity like post time skip Dorotheta in her outfit that massively exposes her back, Petra with her mid drift and back exposed wearing an outfit for her heavily forested homeland, and Alonis with his one side only massive spiked shoulder armor.

The only thing different about what we're seeing is that we're seeing FE designs in Gust's art style.

Some people are saying that it looks Hidari's artstyle??? I don't see it at all lol.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the characters on the support screen look like 3d models to me, so I don't think it looks like any artstyle. Plus, the dialogue box in the last screen doesn't show a character portrait for the old bearded guy. Between that and the reused UI, these screenshots (if real) must be really early.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the characters on the support screen look like 3d models to me, so I don't think it looks like any artstyle. Plus, the dialogue box in the last screen doesn't show a character portrait for the old bearded guy. Between that and the reused UI, these screenshots (if real) must be really early.
you are correct, they are 3D models, if its an early build I imagine portraits have not been implemented yet

I just went to the first game to prove my point that silly outfits are a part of this series DNA. I could go through every single FE game and find several examples if I wasn't at work right now. Even 3 Houses has some absurdity like post time skip Dorotheta in her outfit that massively exposes her back, Petra with her mid drift and back exposed wearing an outfit for her heavily forested homeland, and Alonis with his one side only massive spiked shoulder armor.

The only thing different about what we're seeing is that we're seeing FE designs in Gust's art style.

in my very first comment that you quoted, i already said that silly outfits have been a part of the series:

there have been plenty of silly designs in FE history

i'm really not sure what you're trying to prove. i said i hate this art and i hate these designs. agree to disagree (y)

I wonder if "finished a year ago" means they've had time to work on performance/textures etc or if it means they've moved on to other things completely. love three houses but that game looks and runs like trash

Ill wait to see the trailers before I judge it.
Its FE so Im most likely going to enjoy it, no matter what color the MCs hair is lol.

I remember three houses and how critical everyone was during its offical re-reveal months before launch.

The artstyle was very mixed and folks leaned on the graphics side as bad overall.

Then it just grew on folks and a lot really enjoyed the artstyle. So I’ll wait on this game to be fully shown. Imagine if someone posted 4 old screenshots of three houses before reveal? We’ll be at the same conversation

It’s really hard to even guess the artstyle, the portraits for Supports are 3D models it looks like, as oppose to 2D like usual. And it’s blurry.

The main character's hair looks dumb as hell but I don't really see anything else in these screenshots worth looking into much. The other two designs we see aren't particularly exciting or objectionable imo. The old man knight characters always look boring, though. Really outside the ridiculous MC hair (lol) and the fact we're getting a new game (awesome) there's not much here.

Hopefully the summon system is fun and put to good use.

Do you think there's a chance that this is fake? It honestly looks like a Gust game.

I like what I see, I’m looking forward to the reveal. I’ve been wanting to play a new fire emblem for a while.

oh no... oh NO. really hoping this is fake. not a knock on the model quality or anything like that, i get that this is from early development footage, but the artstyle is generic in a way that FE has never been before. there's one face shared between all the males and one childlike face shared between all the females. wasn't a huge fan of the three houses designer but her art style was much more distinctive than this and her character designs had a lot more flare whilst still retaining a degree of groundedness... this looks like generic off brand gacha stuff
This. The girls got downgraded from a wide range of facial features, hairstyles and expressions to cutesy generic sameface reminiscent of Genshin Impact and... Atelier. No idea if that's just a coincidence or not. The men may as well be a different species of human with their defined, sharp facial structure and realisitic proportions. It's not like they look any better unfortunately, the old guy looks like a 25 year old with a fake beard on.

Back
Top Bottom