• A new Metroid event is now active. Come join the fun over in Aurc's thread!

StarTopic Film Chat |ST| What's Your Favorite Acting Turn?

chocolate_supra

Must proceed at a high velocity #TeamDecade
Pronouns
He/Him
Does anyone know what the deal is with the release of The Fabelmans? Everywhere I look says it opened in wide release yesterday, but I can't find any local theaters playing it. Even when I go to the movie's official website it shows the nearest theater playing it is 130 miles away..? That doesn't sound like a very wide release. 😕

I need my Spielberg fix

kvetcha

radicalized by deerhoof
Pronouns
he/him
Does anyone know what the deal is with the release of The Fabelmans? Everywhere I look says it opened in wide release yesterday, but I can't find any local theaters playing it. Even when I go to the movie's official website it shows the nearest theater playing it is 130 miles away..? That doesn't sound like a very wide release. 😕

I need my Spielberg fix
It went “wide,” but only in the sense that it was in, like, 650+ theaters rather than ten. If it’s successful enough, perhaps it adds theaters, but who knows.

Between that and Glass Onion I don’t even know what’s happening with theatrical release windows anymore.

chocolate_supra

Must proceed at a high velocity #TeamDecade
Pronouns
He/Him
It went “wide,” but only in the sense that it was in, like, 650+ theaters rather than ten. If it’s successful enough, perhaps it adds theaters, but who knows.

Between that and Glass Onion I don’t even know what’s happening with theatrical release windows anymore.
Glass Onion I get because it was funded by Netflix so the fact that they got a theatrical release at all is a miracle. But Fabelmans is a Spielberg movie! Distributed by Universal! It should be huge!

Phosphorescent Skeleton

It feels like I'm in a fairytale
Pronouns
She/Her
Watched Pink Floyd's The Wall last night. Did not expect to love it as much as I did. Just an absolute feast visually, great music, some of the best animation ever to be featured in a feature length film. Its pure cinema. Just a reminder that movies are good as hell.

kvetcha

radicalized by deerhoof
Pronouns
he/him
Glass Onion I get because it was funded by Netflix so the fact that they got a theatrical release at all is a miracle. But Fabelmans is a Spielberg movie! Distributed by Universal! It should be huge!
I’m just quietly peeved at the likelihood that Glass Onion will never get a proper physical release because Netflix loves to moneyhat directors I enjoy. 😒

I think studios, generally, are a little wary of the sorts of movies they open wide. Mainstream genre films have been doing well, but dramas and more Serious films have floundered a bit.

Phosphorescent Skeleton

Pronouns
She/Her
I’m just quietly peeved at the likelihood that Glass Onion will never get a proper physical release because Netflix loves to moneyhat directors I enjoy. 😒

I think studios, generally, are a little wary of the sorts of movies they open wide. Mainstream genre films have been doing well, but dramas and more Serious films have floundered a bit.
Netflix is probably whats holding back a physical release of Other Side of the Wind, which makes me so mad.

Phosphorescent Skeleton

Pronouns
She/Her
At least there’s an outside hope that Criterion will finagle something for an Orson Welles joint, and possibly even for The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, though I’m not holding my breath.
Still hoping for a Welles boxset. Any day now they'll do that and Chaplin and Kurosawa....any day now...

Just watched Bardo at the kinoplex. Fuckin surreal masterpiece. Absolute kinography if you will. Bardo is the realest movie about being Mexican I have ever seen. Never watched anything so effortlessly employ meta surrealism to tackle paradoxes like ours (being Spanish yet indigenous, light skinned yet dark skinned, too Mexican yet too American, etc.). It's just so open about both personal and cultural issues. For being about an intensely confusing country/culture it never gets lost within itself. There's some real tear jerking scenes but Bardo is hilarious too so it avoids getting saccharine. The premise of the movie is inherently pretentious to a degree, but people should see it just for Iñarittu's directing. Dude makes some of the only flashy long takes that draw attention to themselves while still selling the story. Him and Khondji really delivered on some cool imagery, the way Khondji lights the scene is probably the best I've seen from any movie this year. It's a shame some of my fellow Hispanics are eating up patronizing tokenism in throwaway capeshit that's not even made by people like us while this movie is out bombing. Nobody else out there is nailing Bowie needle drops.

Top Bottom