• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Film Chat |ST| What's Your Favorite Acting Turn?

And yet it's political enough to thank far-right journalist and influencer Andy Ngo and British TERF (pleonasm?) Helen Lewis in the credits

So I'm kinda confused now because Alex Garland went on the Daily Show to talk about the movie and the state of western politics in general and was very critical of Boris Johnson and the overall horseshit the right are engaged in across multiple countries, and if he's on the side that it very much sounded like he's on then I wonder why the movie would have Andy Fuckin Ngo involved in any capacity 😐

So I'm kinda confused now because Alex Garland went on the Daily Show to talk about the movie and the state of western politics in general and was very critical of Boris Johnson and the overall horseshit the right are engaged in across multiple countries, and if he's on the side that it very much sounded like he's on then I wonder why the movie would have Andy Fuckin Ngo involved in any capacity 😐
Probably because he’s a meathead who doesn’t know his head from his ass.

I'm guessing they found random footage of demonstrators that worked for the film and chose to use it without paying much attention to who shot it.

Genuine, non ironic Shrek nostalgia will never cease to bewilder me
I rewatched them first 3 last year and had a good time with all three. The third one misses a bit but the first two are solid.

For me at least the first movie released when I was in elementary school. The trailer for the first movie was actually the first streaming internet video I ever watched. I really loved that movie as a kid and rewatched it a lot on VHS.

Shrek took the classic fairytale stuff that disney had presented for decades in a very classic and straightforward manner and twisted it in a fun way.

I enjoy irreverent takes on stuff like that. I watched some disney movies and stuff as a kid but I was never that into a lot of it. I've always vastly preferred Bugs Bunny to Mickey Mouse.

Shrek took the classic fairytale stuff that disney had presented for decades in a very classic and straightforward manner and twisted it in a fun way.
Shrek 2 is a genuine good movie and a very funny comedy, but I really dislike the first Shrek for this very reason. It's a movie that tells you "oh look, all classic fairy tale movies are so stupid and predictable" in its first half, and then proceeds to do everything it criticized in its second half. At the end of the day, it’s just a classic Disney fairytale movie, but with fart jokes, and I think it’s not nearly as irreverent as it thinks it is.

I feel like I'm living in crazy land. I was the target age for Shrek, and I loved the first 2 as a kid. But to see real Shrek love makes me feel like I'm dying.

I feel like I'm living in crazy land. I was the target age for Shrek, and I loved the first 2 as a kid. But to see real Shrek love makes me feel like I'm dying.

That's part of the Jokerfacation process love

It's making you into the Girl Joker and me into the Girl Harley Quinn

shrek just realized halfway through the movie that fairytales are great and it's cynical to just clown on them

also, for some reason, I saw Godzilla x Kong with my family. We never go to the cinema together, and none of us have real interest in the Monsterverse movies. That honestly made it better though, strange movie with weirdly not enough fighting at the end for my taste

Shrek 2 is a genuine good movie and a very funny comedy, but I really dislike the first Shrek for this very reason. It's a movie that tells you "oh look, all classic fairy tale movies are so stupid and predictable" in its first half, and then proceeds to do everything it criticized in its second half. At the end of the day, it’s just a classic Disney fairytale movie, but with fart jokes, and I think it’s not nearly as irreverent as it thinks it is.
Ehh, can't agree here.

If this was a disney joint when Shrek and Fiona kiss at the end Fiona and Shrek would both turn human and they'd live happily ever after in a castle. The fact that they are both full Ogres and go live in a swamp subverts the traditional disney fairy tail ending.

Those two were telegraphed pretty quickly as ending up together so they had to get there somehow. The protagonist of a story meeting and falling in love and getting together with another character isn't something that is really specific to traditional fairy tales. Lots of stories do this.

Usually in these kinds of stories the prince and princess get together so the prince being an evil, unambiguous villian is a big change.

I'm not trying to shit on fairy tale stories, but the disney versions of these things really have the edges sanded off and it makes them a bit dull. Look at the brothers Grimm version of Cinderella or Hans Christian Andersons Little Mermaid to see what I mean.

I'm not trying to say the disney films are bad either, but I think poking fun at them is totally fair. Parody is great. The first Shrek definitely parodies many elements of disney films, but I don't think it's meant in any mean spirited way, so I see no hypocrisy is what they're doing.

Mel Brooks has been quoted that you have to like the things you spoof. He didn't make parodies of Westerns, Hitchcock movies, and Star Wars out of contempt for the material, but because he liked them.

Also the humor in Shrek 1 is way more than just fart jokes.

Great news for all you Shrek freaks out there:
XnvIDpP.jpeg

Shrek 4 is pretty emotional but a lot less comedy-focused. Puss in Boots 2 was absolutely fantastic however, legit Oscar contender for the animation category. I feel Shrek 5 could work but DreamWorks doesn't necessarily crush late sequels. Kung Fu Panda 4 just released, and I would describe it as okay.

I haven't watched a Shrek movie since George W Bush was President, but I'll take more Puss movies if they're like Last Wish.
Please do not call them Puss movies omg lol

Also, its funny that we live in a world where, as an adult, I have to constantly defend not having an interest in kids movies (I'm not upset about it, its just funny)

Saw Civil War and that was some bullshit. I find that the idea of turning Americans' fascination with violence against them by basically reproducing scenes from war films on national territory, is interesting, but it lacks the intelligence and commitment to justify its systematically provocative use of violence.

Politically it’s so afraid of saying anything that it ends up saying nothing. It opens with some shots about protests in the US, like BLM, to introduce its concept of “civil war” but it never explains anything further. Real “why is it called the United States if we’re so divided” shit. I follow this game writer called Doc Burford on Twitter and he once posted that the only real value system of libs “is personal comfort and "guys can't we all just get along," a moral system that allows nazis to prosper because it prioritizes comfort and non-conflict over goodness”. And that’s exactly where Alex Garland is at.

There is a moment in the movie where they refer to an “antifa massacre” without explaining anything about it: were the antifa massacred? Were they the ones committing violence? Who cares, the only thing important is bad people on both sides, violence is bad. You can’t do that, you can’t equate antifa to fascists or refusing to take a stance. If an elephant fights with a mouse, if you don’t take a stance, you’re for the elephant. It’s a movie about photojournalism that refuses to have a point of view, for fuck’s sake! Sound design is great though and it’s pretty well shot, but I really disliked it. And on top of everything the pacing is kinda bad, I was really bored at times.

Monkey Man was a bit over-directed and over-written but I don't care because I had so much fun. It reeks of cinema, passion and rage; you can feel that Dev Patel needed to get this film out, and all the stratagems they had to employ to shoot it give it an intensity and soul that few other action movies have nowadays.

To quote a Letterboxd review :

Capture-d-cran-2024-04-21-15-45-31.png

Go see it if you can.

Sometimes your Youtube favorites give you just what you needed, and remind me I really need a Conan rewatch:

Goddamn that soundtrack

Back
Top Bottom