• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro Fellow SNES owners: did you also own any of the other 4th gen consoles?

In addition to SNES, I also owned...

• Atari Lynx

• Genesis/Mega Drive

• Game Gear

• TurboGrafx-16

• TurboExpress

• Philips CD-i

• Game Boy

• Neo Geo

• SNES is all you need!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mr_No_U

Garbage Galaxy Representative
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
Back in the 90s, the Super Nintendo was my 4th gen console of choice. It was an amazing platform with an unbelievable library of unique first party and third party titles. However, quite a few of my friends also owned the Sega Genesis, which is how I came to know and love many of Sega's franchises such as Sonic and Shinobi. I eventually added a Genesis to my collection, but that was long after the 4th gen had ended.

I have always wondered whether multiplatform ownership was a common thing during the 4th generation of consoles, or if most people were simply content owning one console or the other. While I certainly felt satisfied with my SNES and couldn't have asked for more, I can't deny that I sometimes longed for games on competing consoles.

So how about you? Did you own any of the other 4th gen consoles in addition to a SNES? Or was the SNES more than enough for you?

I had a SNES and a Genesis, although I had the SNES for about three years before I got the Genesis.

I had a Game Gear too, that thing was an enormous battery hog.

I had a SNES and CD-i. But played mainly SNES and even skipped most of Gen 5. I went right away to Gen 6 with a PS2 and shortly after that a Gamecube.

Let's see, Gameboy and Sega CDX.

Though lately I've been trying to get other computers/consoles from that era.

I had Mega Drive and a Game Boy, and am very glad I did. The idea of missing out on the likes of Gunstar Heroes, Shining Force and Streets of Rage 2 is horrible.

i had a game gear. parents got it for me one xmas because 'it had a color screen and game boy didnt'.

later i bought a game boy pocket with my own cash and eventually also a game boy color.

no other home consoles though. my buddy had a genesis and i'd play those games over there.

Loved my Mega Drive (II). Game Gear was less used despite my wonderfully naff screen magnifier, which was the peak of 90s cool in retrospect. I'm sure I had a similar accessory for the Game Boy also.

I was Sega central until DKC and Super Mario Kart proved too irresistible.

Nope, the SNES was my parent's gift for Christmas with only one game (Mario All Stars)... Living in a 3rd world country makes difficult to afford just one console even 25 years ago.

If you count the GameBoy Color, then yes, but that's a slightly weird oddity of an upgrade that's almost its own thing.

Before getting a GameBoy Color, the SNES was my GameBoy as I had the Super GameBoy addon!

If you count the GameBoy Color, then yes, but that's a slightly weird oddity of an upgrade that's almost its own thing.

Before getting a GameBoy Color, the SNES was my GameBoy as I had the Super GameBoy addon!
The Super GameBoy was so cool!

I desperately want to say CD-i.....but no, I was SNES-only, and my buddy had the Genesis. I'm probably not alone in that setup.

EDIT: I didn't read the poll very well. I had a Game Boy Color as well. Whoops. Lol

Genesis, Lynx, GameBoy, Game Gear.

Actually had the Genesis first (it was my first console), then GameBoy, followed by SNES, and followed by Game Gear. I traded my Game Gear to someone for a Lynx at summer camp. It was actually a wise decision. The lynx was better than the game gear IMO

A friend of mine had the megadrive (I'm from France), but I only had a gameboy alongside my super Nintendo.

besides the snes, my family owned a genesis - but only thanks to a neighbor who was downsizing for a move. i had already played much of the genesis library at my besties place, so it didn't get used much before we sold it.

didn't think that game boy color counted under the regular "game boy" option and i didn't vote for it, so just add a +1 to the total

First TurboGrafx-16 owner in the thread, woo! ...Although I was so young I hardly remember any games we had for it, except for Bonk and Blazing Lazers. Then again, it was more my older sibling's console, so maybe they got more out of having one?

I was happy to have a Genesis in the house on account of the fact that the Phantasy Star series and Shining series were such a huge part of my childhood, but the SNES absolutely saw more play from me.

First TurboGrafx-16 owner in the thread, woo! ...Although I was so young I hardly remember any games we had for it, except for Bonk and Blazing Lazers. Then again, it was more my older sibling's console, so maybe they got more out of having one?

I was happy to have a Genesis in the house on account of the fact that the Phantasy Star series and Shining series were such a huge part of my childhood, but the SNES absolutely saw more play from me.
I really wanted a TG-16 and the Turbo CD but alas my mom never got me one. She did get me the Sega CD though for my birthday at least so that was cool.

When the SNES was current gen, we had that and Gameboys- the NES was sold off, despite my protests to keep it. Got a Game Gear too.

A couple of years later, when I was old enough to get a job, I ended up with nearly everything else and had a Nomad, CDX, Turbo Duo, Turbo Express, NeoGeo, and a NeoGeo CD at different points. Very briefly had a Lynx and a 3DO. Never cared for the Jaguar and CD-I.

I only had an SNES, but if I could I'd go back in time and also own a Genesis and a Gameboy.

I had a Genesis and was becoming a Genesis fanboy and ready to write off Nintendo. Then the Nintendo Power issue introducing the SNES with the poster of upcoming games came out and it blew me away. Final Fight, Super Ghouls n' Ghosts, Actraiser, Super R-Type, and Pilotwings all looked like a leap beyond what Genesis could do. And of course I had to have Super Mario World, Zelda III, Super Castlevania IV, and Final Fantasy II after seeing them. Just when I thought I was out, Nintendo pulled me back in!

I had a Game Gear (In addition to a Gameboy) and being a Nintendo Fanboy I know I didn`t ask for one, so I`m not sure why...

I think my parents must have purchased it when we lived in Malaysia and I was in pre-school, my collection consisted of half weird 68 Games in one carts with multiple rom hacks of Sonic and stuff that was never actually released on the Game Gear (Mario Bros, Spy Vs Spy)

Had a TurboGrafx-16 and a Game Boy but SNES was my main. Still is one of my favorite consoles.

I had a Genesis and a Nomad at my dad's, and all us kids had Game Boys.

Nope, I literally didn't knew what a Genesis was until 2008? When the AVGN released his videos.

But I'm not American/European and I was 6 so I gotta get some slack!

A Gameboy Color also, though my dad rented a Mega Drive a few times.
And it wasn't until mid-late 2000s that I even knew there was more than a SNES/MD that gen.

I only ever owned Nintendo systems until college. My parents said I could only get one console per gen and well... obviously that was gonna be Nintendo lol.

I only ever owned Nintendo systems until college. My parents said I could only get one console per gen and well... obviously that was gonna be Nintendo lol.

Same here, then when I got into college I got a PS2 and soon I bought a GameCube because goddamn where am I supposed to play Prime?

I had a SNES and Gameboy as a kid. Later in life, during a collection phase, I bought a Genesis.

Now all of them are sold off lol.

SNES and GameBoy. Well, also PC but that is not a console... The GameBoy was stolen, so I bought a Super GameBoy.
Back then I didn't see value in Sega systems. Turbografx and Neo-Geo were not available where I lived. In the end, what I had was more than enough in terms of time and money available.
I still haven't played Terranigma...

I had a Sega Genesis before I got the Super Nintendo. I still remember the day I got my SNES though, fun times.

During that generation, in addition to SNES, I owned a Genesis + Sega CD, TurboGrafx + Duo, Lynx, 486 PC, Game Gear, and Game Boy. Neo Geo was easy to keep up with by frequenting arcades. I wanted a Turbo Express but it was too expensive to justify and became hard to find quickly.

Last edited:
Nope; but I played a lot of Genesis (mostly Sonic) regularly at my friend's house;

I also thought that console wars were dumb back then; :p

I also had a Megadrive and a Gameboy. What I loved about back then was the libraries were almost entirely different, even in the same franchise. You weren’t just comparing the first party stuff, it was hard to talk about SNES vs Megadrive without also getting into Street Fighter 2 Turbo vs Champion edition. Or Contra III vs Hard Corps. Then you had the comparisons between stuff like Final Fight vs Streets of Rage, or Axelay/Super Aleste vs Thunderforce IV. Great time for games.

I had a Genesis, Gameboy, and Game Gear.

I actually did have an SNES that my mom picked up while in Hong Kong. It of course didn't work here in the US because of the different plugs.

I owned the game boy before I owned a SNES.

Didn't get a Mega Drive and Neo Geo well until my adult years.

Owned: TG16, Gameboy, Lynx, Genesis, Sega CD, Game Gear, Atari Jaguar (lol)… in addition to the SNES.

Just a Game Boy in addition to the Super Nintendo. It wasn’t until the GameCube, PS2, and Xbox generation that I had multiple platforms. (I had all three by the end)

At the time, I also owned Lynx, Game Boy, Game Gear and Megadrive. Acquiring the others wasn't easy in the UK at the time.

Now I live in Japan, I've picked up what I missed out on, so also Neo Geo, PC Engine, PC Engine LT and PC Engine GT. Never had a PC Engine CD or Neo Geo CD.

Back
Top Bottom