• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Fellow artists who has more or less depended on Twitter to showcase our work, where to?

Irene

Soar long!
Pronouns
She/Her
This might initially come off as a "Welp, Twitter is screwed, I'm outta here, where to go?" kind of thread. It sort of is, but I think it also goes deeper than that, touching on the overarching topic and situation of being a creative person, and leaving the platform in favour of other avenues to grow creatively and individually.

I've been depending on Twitter a lot, using hashtags like #gamedev and #indiedev to showcase my work. This has lead to some fair spread, and growing perspectives. Some truly warming moments has come from this, such as seeing so many cool and inspiring projects, and also seeing nice and encouraging words and tweets from fellow indie developers who like what I do. Now, as I watch the slow-motion train wreck that is Twitter recently, I find myself sort of... well, stranded. So many nice memories of sharing creative works on the platform, and I wonder how best to replace it - where to go, in short.

The topic of "Twitter alternative" has cropped up time and time again, with Cohost and Mastodon being posed as viable alternatives, but I wanted to create a thread for creative people in particular, to share thoughts on how to best connect with creative people in the same field in a wider scope.

I think (or perhaps I hope) that the future is decentralized. Having a website is easier and more appealing than ever before. Of course, this doesn't address the loss of discoverability. As of right now I'm not aware of any adequate alternatives

I may be out of touch or unaware of some potential major issues, but wasn’t Tumblr kind of always a large social platform with an art/media focus?

I think (or perhaps I hope) that the future is decentralized. Having a website is easier and more appealing than ever before. Of course, this doesn't address the loss of discoverability. As of right now I'm not aware of any adequate alternatives
welcome back, internet 1.0! meet the new boss, same as the old boss. ain't nobody want nfts or blockchain, get that weak web 3.0 shit outta here. get in homie, we headin to geocities

I'm on cohost and follow some game dev folks there. It's not a Twitter replacement, it's much more of a tumblr alternative in that regard, but it's a pleasant place so far. I hope it grows into a thriving community and I'd recommend it, though again, it ain't the same as Twitter, especially right now.

I hear lots of illustration artists are going back to Tumblr, but merch artists and those that run more significant businesses aren't making that jump. Tumblr isn't a place where you'll get the same exposure or cash, sadly.

Like other people said, things like personal websites or email newsletters will likely be important to maintain an audience independently of social media.

welcome back, internet 1.0! meet the new boss, same as the old boss. ain't nobody want nfts or blockchain, get that weak web 3.0 shit outta here. get in homie, we headin to geocities

In this new age… You’re the man now dog!

I said I was gonna post this a lot: https://yesterweb.org/

If y'all have time to spare, the links page is a good way to revive the feel of exploring the old Internet.

This might initially come off as a "Welp, Twitter is screwed, I'm outta here, where to go?" kind of thread. It sort of is, but I think it also goes deeper than that, touching on the overarching topic and situation of being a creative person, and leaving the platform in favour of other avenues to grow creatively and individually.

I've been depending on Twitter a lot, using hashtags like #gamedev and #indiedev to showcase my work. This has lead to some fair spread, and growing perspectives. Some truly warming moments has come from this, such as seeing so many cool and inspiring projects, and also seeing nice and encouraging words and tweets from fellow indie developers who like what I do. Now, as I watch the slow-motion train wreck that is Twitter recently, I find myself sort of... well, stranded. So many nice memories of sharing creative works on the platform, and I wonder how best to replace it - where to go, in short.

The topic of "Twitter alternative" has cropped up time and time again, with Cohost and Mastodon being posed as viable alternatives, but I wanted to create a thread for creative people in particular, to share thoughts on how to best connect with creative people in the same field in a wider scope.

Prepare a portfolio/blog personal website of sorts where you can post your work. Crosslink it to every social media to drive people to your website (Including the one that is going to get Musk'd soon, and new alternatives like Cohost or Mastodon). Once you have all the content in a stable place, moving platforms where to share it is way easier.

In my social circle of 20-30 somethings, the most popular network has been Instagram and there is where I discover and follow visual artists. I have even had my Inktober sketches gain some traction, and I don't have a huge following by any measure. The UI being mostly a straightforward visual feed helps too.

They're still in the beta stages, so at the moment only the mobile app is available and not the website (though you can view posts on the site, you can't post directly yet), but Artfol is a pretty good place to go for posting/viewing art.

As people have mentioned, most of what I've heard otherwise is Cohost, Mastodon, Tumblr, or Instagram. They all have their trade-offs, though I would say none are especially worse than Twitter was, other than the smaller user bases.

For anyone who wants to make (small) linkable galleries, Tumblr is a decent option if you use custom layouts, but I'd recommend also taking a look at Carrd, it's a nice place to get all your links/portfolio together easily.

My friend who paints figures and sells them has had good success on Instagram, so maybe try there?

Tumblr is still the most art-friendly site in terms of tagging/likes/reblogging systems, but its audience is nowhere near as big as Twitter or Instagram. It is having a mini-revival with some people from Twitter coming back though.

Lastly if you're in a very Japanese centric fandom you can join pixiv for good number engagements, but obviously networking there is low unless you speak Japanese

Just putting my head down and working on my portfolio for the actual Twitter replacement. Rumor is we might hear something next week.

Having a website is easier and more appealing than ever before. Of course, this doesn't address the loss of discoverability.
The answer to the discoverability problem:
oIkpJlA.png

Back
Top Bottom