• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Favourite Story in a Nintendo Game

Golden Sun 1-2 had one of the best storylines in the whole JRPG genre.

Other than that, Mario & Luigi series had some best writing in any Nintendo game. Partners in Time was especially good. And hilarious.

There are two obvious answers, but they both may be considered technicalities.

1: EarthBound. This one is a pretty obvious pick, I feel.

2: Less obvious than EarthBound, but just as good or even better, is Chibi-Robo! The game's approach to storytelling is very unique, and its plot feels more thoroughly integrated into the game itself than most of its contemporaries.

Ocarina of Time....I love the world building, mythos, triforce tales, the environmental storytelling, time travel consequences, subtext.

Majora's Mask is my favorite considering storytelling through gameplay.

Zbk7dbp.png

This and all the other little stories in Majora's Mask.

Mother 3 is probably the "best" one, with a lot of commentary on topics like environmentalism, capitalism, and colonialism that most Nintendo games would never touch. But I'd be remiss to not mention Kid Icarus Uprising of course. It's impressive for packing in an episodic-yet-serialized narrative balancing a lot of subplots and character arcs with a few fairly novel plot twists (the one with Medusa of course being the most infamous), with cinematic storytelling and voice acting all the way through... on the 3DS of all things!

There are games like Majora's Mask with subplots I love, but looking at a narrative as a whole, it's definitely those two games.

The FE Tellius games for the excitement, Wind Waker for the emotion, and the original Xenoblade as the best one overall.

I also want to mention Maio & Luigi partners in time for having honestly one the most clever moment of foreshadowing I've seen in a game. The one in the Toadwood Forest with Toadiko.

Hotel Dusk and Last Window really do it for me - but I generally like crime novels and these do a bang-up job of being a noir-styled crime novel. The sad part is that Last Window does kinda set up a sequel by hinting at more stuff in regards to NILE and Bradley but it never came to fruition as Cing was soon dissolved.

Breath of the Wild also really has a great story, but most of my appreciation for it is in how Nintendo designed the story to work with the concept of an open world rather than having a more linear story set in a vast space that gets unlocked piecemeal-fashion.

Majora's Mask... well, just everything about Majora's Mask.

Metroid Prime did an incredible job with its lore-oriented story telling and Prime 2, while being a bit more linear, followed up on that pretty well.

Xenoblade 2 not just for the main plot, but also for the fun and very entertaining side stories tied to the Rare Blades. I think that aspect is often overlooked when talking about the game with how much character it imbues its vast cast.

Majora's Mask by a mile. I just love the way the different characters interacted with the impeding doom.

Ha, Three Houses actually got me into writing again so I’m going to have to go with that as well.

Mother 3 is the other game that’s at the top with it. Earthbound isn’t super story heavy or anything, but the writing and emotional beats and moments in that are top notch too.

Majora's Mask probs it's just perfect. Xenoblade 1 and 2 also have nice stories but in 2 the pervy nature of the game ruins it alot. Hopefully 3 tames a bit down on it.

Edit: Torna was amazing tho!

Back
Top Bottom