• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Favourite Smash Ultimate reveal

Are you happy overall with the Smash newcomers in Ultimate?

• Absolutely, I'm happy with all the reveals!

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • Pretty content. Maybe not all characters, but it was fun

Votes: 40 54.8%
  • I'm somewhere in the middle. Sometimes yeah, sometimes no.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Wasn't that happy with stuff they announced aside from a few characters

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • NO. NEW SMASH DISCUSSION WHEN SAKUUURAAAAIIIII

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sadist

Mad Titan
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
So, that's it. The fifth of October 2021 marks the end of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's speculation and hype cycle. It's been a wild ride to say the least. Sakurai wraps up development on the most packed version of Smash that has ever existed. And really, apart from representation issues, I think we can say that this is truly the ultimate Smash game. So many reveals, so many characters appearing, references and far more. But one question must be going through your mind; which character was your favourite reveal?

My favourites during this Smash hype cycle were...

Ridley finally getting in was such a hype moment. To see him finally assaulting Samus and others in Smash felt so, sooo good.

The Belmonts appearing in Smash was another amazing moment. Especially with the amazing trailer where poor Luigi runs into Castlevania baddies including Death himself.

The Terry Bogard reveal really got a good reaction out of me. While I'm no SNK dude, I absolutely loved the trailer where all the SNK characters tried to get the Smash invite was hilarious.

And finally when those three notes start playing... you know it's him. There is no running away from him Cloud. Sephiroth still arrives.

Honestly all Smash reveal trailers were amazing, even a character like Steve from Minecraft was great, even though I'm not into the game was still great. Overall I've been happy with all the Smash stuff. How about your guys?

For me, it's easily

AdolescentGlaringAnhinga-size_restricted.gif

I would say Joker was my absolute favourite, simply because it blew the doors open for exactly what I could expect from inclusions going forward.

Personally I'm a huge fan of the inclusion of Pyra and the way Sakurai let Monolith do their own this with the trailer and the support videos.
But that Banjo-Kazooie announcement mirroring the King K. Rool announcement and all three going nuts for them was great fun and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Really, it's a toss up which one I prefer in the end.

Sora’s.

It has one of my favorite songs in Music history with its instrumental simple and clean Version.

And it’s the perfect song for a send off.

Plus. I love the orignal Kingdom Hearts

+1 to Terry and Simon reveal trailers, they were really well done.

Banjo is my favorite newcomer because I love BK , but the trailer wasn't anything special.

I really liked the Bower Jr. reveal and then having all the Koopalings show up midway through the trailer. Who else but Sakurai would think to use a single slot as a opportunity to add 8 Mario characters off the bat?

Definitely Banjo. They’ve been overdue since Melee, and the way it mirrored the K Rool trailer was hilarious.

I liked Ridley's a lot, just because Samus's "not this shit again" expression was absolutely perfect.

Hero and Banjo-Kazooie on the same day on E3 2019 was wild for me. Fulfilled two big 3rd party requests of mine in Smash.

They nailed it with Sora. That was beautiful. Nothing ever comes close.

Terry was funny but they showed too few of their characters in the trailer. Where the hell was Marco Rossi?
Kazuya... I want to see other Tekken characters too, especially Jin, Paul and Nina.
Banjo was also good but too similar to King Rool.

For me, it's easily

AdolescentGlaringAnhinga-size_restricted.gif
This was probably the worst trailer of the bunch, but it was my favorite just because it was Banjo and Kazooie.

Most of the reveals were really fun. That Belmont trailer was something else. I'm more than satisfied with Ultimate in this regard.

K. Rool is the character I voted for in the ballot, but Banjo is a close second just for being one of those impossible never ever characters. You can tell I grew up on 90s Rare games, can't you? What gave me away, the username?

Overall I'd rank my top 5 as:

1. King K. Rool
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Ridley
4. Joker
5. Sora

I was lukewarm on Pass 2 towards the end but Sora was such a perfect final reveal, both for the Pass and Ultimate in general. Easily my favorite batch of Smash newcomers with Rool and Banjo being my top two ever. I'm sad that it's over.

Honestly all of the reveals were pretty great, regardless of how I felt about the characters themselves. Pyra and Mythra might be my personal favorites given how much I love Xenoblade 2, and how it resulted in a bunch of streamers like Mew2King playing the game as a result.

I really loved all new characters but if I have to chose the ones I was most hype for:

Ridley
King K. Rool
Piranha Plant
Joker
Banjo
Byleth
Sephiroth
Pyra/Mythra
Sora

those gave me the most wow effect or damn I wanted this effect. But don't get me wrong I think all DLC add-ons where great because ...

Steve, Terry and Kazuya were characters I liked because of the love that was put in. And then I saw how they played and they played wonderful.

Byleth and Pyra/Mythra came from games I really loved on my Switch so I happy to see representation on that. Min Min was from a new franchises that definitely deserved the rep.

Ridley, King K. Rool, Banjo where characters for the memes. But also nostalgia and just cool characters from franchises that deserved it.

Joker, Sephiroth, Sora where just the main hype characters. Characters you couldn't believe got in.

Looking at base Inklings, Isabelle and Incineroar where the "make sense picks."

The Belmonts, Hero where characters, together with the other characters where you said "that took you long".

I am just baffled about the love that was put in not only with the characters and stages but also the music that joined. It is truly an amazing list. I would have loved that Monster Hunter had gotten more rep in the game but alas :D.

I really loved Ridley's, if only because he was my most wanted newcomer and it kicked off the ongoing joke of grisley muders in Smash trailers. The Simon/Richter trailer gets points for that, too.

I also really liked Sora's, because as opposed to the usual "everyone's fighting" angle, he appears in a really magical and beautiful moment. The way the music swells as he flies over and presents himself to the whole cast made me genuinely emotional... and I'm not even a huge Kingdom Hearts guy.

I would have to say that it is Sora's, no doubt about it. After being tired of all the Smash stuff in Directs and Pass 2 being a tad underwhelming, I didn't think someone outside of Nahobino would get me hyped, Sora changed that.

The trailer while short, it was simply magic and joyful, starting in thay moment the instrumental version of Hikari kicked in. However, afterwards you could still feel a certain magic, specially when Sora flew over the roster and seemingly used the Power of Waking on them. As he flew by it was like one could feel the team and Sakurai's joy of finally being able to get Sora into the game. That Sora, in a way, was finally home with other gaming icons, the boy who touched so many hearts finally open the right door.

xcmqeog8i6f21.gif

And remember you all: May your heart be your guiding key.

Joker. When the game came out, the lists were full of meme characters like Geno and Waluigi, which was boring and kinda confusing. The Joker reveal was reassuring because it showed that Sakurai really understood what makes a great smash character.

After the reveal, there was a lot of doom and gloom about Joker being another Cloud situation, but in the end we got the amazing Mementos stage with persona 3 and 4 versions, a great selection of songs from every game of the franchise, a cool looking trailer, a unique victory screen and some spirits. It was really cool compared to what we got in smash 4 dlc.

They're not the best trailers of the group, but Banjo and Sephiroth awakened visceral-ass reactions in me lol

I think the best Ultimate trailers was for the Belmonts. The mixture of characters was perfect, the buildup was just right, and it was a great kickoff to a packed Smash Direct. It was also fun seeing Luigi's Mansion 3 elements used against the Castlevania enemies, long before said game was even announced!

That being said, it's hard to pick a bad trailer from this bunch. They're all pretty solid, regardless of how I feel about any of the characters. Well paced, with good use of music, cuts and some lavish CG. The only clunker is Isabelle, it's a little too slow-paced and lacks the suspenseful buildup that makes a lot of these trailers shine, though it earns a few points for also being the New Horizons announcement.

The trailer that will mean the most to me personally, though, will be Sora's. Besides just really loving the character, I love the whimsical elements to it, and the orchestrated Hikari/Simple and Clean help to give the trailer the sense of finality it was going for.

It's funny. I don't care for Kingdom Hearts, I actually dislike the franchise for it's - in my opinion - terrible dialogue.
But the reveal of Sora was magnificent. It got my hyped for Kingdom Hearts of all things. I think it might be my favourite Smash trailer.
When we are talking strictly about character inclusion it's either Byleth (because she is my main) or Sephiroth though.
Shout out to K. Rool and the Belmonts! Also great trailers.

They were all pretty good, but the Belmont reveal was the best CG trailer all around imo. Banjo and Sephiroth were the most hype for me personally.

Every Smash reveal is a treasure.

The Sora reveal was great, it really gave the impression of a grand finale.

But my personal favorite is Sephiroth. It was so cool that they set it up like Advent Children. Awesome.

We always watch e3 directs as a family and I remember everyone really digging what they went for with the Banjo & Kazooie reveal, that was really funny and a good wow moment. I think that was my favourite reveal for sure, but I honestly think they've done a great job in general.

While they were the most obvious inclusion in the world, seeing Splatoon validated as part of the Nintendo pantheon by opening Smash Ultimate’s reveal cycle made me so happy. And it helps that Inklings are really fun to play as!

I also really loved the reveals of Min Min, Isabelle, and Pyra/Mythra. Nintendo has such a cool stable of ladies and it was great to see them all show up.

Sephiroth made me actually scream though. I never considered him a possibility for even a second. And he fixed FF7’s representation!

Ill go with Joker, not that I personally like the character over other in the DLC like The Aegis. but video culminating on a BOOM, Smash invitation, man that was HYPE

Ridley, K.Rool, Banjo & Kazooie have been my favourite inclusions.

I've been pretty "meh" on most others, even if I do think it's really cool that fighting-game icons such as Kazuya, Terry, and Ryu are in Smash, but I think that Banjo really was the one that made me think that literally everyone would be possible.

Terry was by far my favourite reveal, and also my favourite Sakurai presents.
The cheer love he has for SNK games was so cool to see.

I screamed when I saw all the music they got.

The original reveal with incling was the top for me. Was really glad that we got a callback to it in Soras reveal!

Banjo and Pyra were my favourites. The only ones I didn't care for were Byleth and, to a lesser extent, Kazuya. But overall the roster is so great that I'm not gonna complain about those two duds. It's such an absolute achievement and love letter to the industry with something for pretty much everyone. I doubt this will ever be topped.

All additions or just DLC?

Main game addition was definitely the Castlevania dudes. Shame that it leaked prior, but i still went absolutely nuts. Simon Belmon in Smash!

DLC - definitely Banjo.

I think for me it was either the Belmonts or Sephiroth, and I am leaning towards the latter. It was just so epic.

However, I think my favourite is still Mega Man. His inclusion in 4 was just perfect, but I guess it doesn't really count for Ultimate.

When those Metal Blades are thrown at Link and Mario... *chef's kiss*

Terry and Simon/Richter (especially Richter lol) were my favs.
Joker and Sephiroth reveals blew my mind. Was a bit disappointed in how Joker played (well, he's still one of my fav to play as, super smooth and fun, but it doesn't feel like a Persona/Megaten character...), but those two I never saw coming.

Overral I liked all reveals. I can't stand Sora/Kingdom Hearts but it's obvious that it was the absolute best way it could have ended. They really went all in this time to end it properly with the biggest one possible. (I just would have prefered a niche one but that's just how my tastes are lmao)

Base game: King K Rool. A character who I've wanted since Brawl, returning from a LONG absence! Really fun lead up in the trailer, a great redesign, and a fantastic remix of his boss theme make him my favorite newcomer in the base game.

Piranha Plant: Beyond ranking

Fighters Pass 1: Byleth. As the first fighters pass went on, the Smash fans who mocked my dream characters grew bolder. "Too bad! It's a third party only pass", they'd say. But I held out despite it all, and Sakurai rewarded me with the best possible reveal. The moment the trailer started, there was no question about who the character was. Not only was it a first party character, and not only was it a first party character I wanted... it was one from my favorite Nintendo franchise, and the star of my favorite Switch game! By far the best, and most satisfying reveal of any Smash Ultimate character.

Fighters Pass 2: Pyra and Mythra. It had seemed like Xenoblade 2 had just missed the boat to get into Ultimate... but Min-Min's reveal renewed hopes for some sort of character from the game. Still, it seemed like everyone was fixated on Rex being the playable character. Imagine my surprise when it turned out we got the much better option; Pyra and Mythra without Rex at all! A much wanted second rep for Xenoblade, one of Nintendo's best new franchises!

Terry was the most fun made trailer, it's pure art!

I'm terms of hype, I went crazy with Hero's trailer. He was my most wanted character since Smash 4, and I spammed the ballot with Hero begging. The moment they showed 3, 4 and 8 I lost it. Only thing I would change is adding 5 as one of the alts and I don't like the RNG mechanics of his spells, feels too awkward to fight and choose a spell from a menu at the same time.

Sephiroth was also crazy, since no one saw it coming lol.

The overall ranking of Switch Smash reveals, in order from "Ultimate" to "Everyone is here, I guess":

Terry Bogard - WINNER "Best Smash Invite Battle Royal"
Joker - WINNER "Best Stealth Smash Trailer"
Ridley - WINNER "Best Mascot Killer"
Simon & Richter - Nominee "Best Mascot Killer"
Inkling - Nominee "Best Stealth Smash Trailer"
Sora - WINNER "Best Surprise"
Banjo & Kazooie - Nominee "Best Surprise"
King K. Rool - Nominee "Best Surprise"
Pyra & Mythra - Nominee "Best Stealth Smash Trailer"
Sephiroth - Nominee "Best Mascot Killer" & "Best Surprise"
Steve - Nominee "Best Surprise"
Min Min - Nominee "Best Smash Invite Battle Royal"
Byleth - Nominee "Best Stealth Smash Trailer"
Isabelle - Nominee "Best Stealth Smash Trailer"
Kazuya - Nominee "Best Mascot Killer"
Piranha Plant - Nominee "Best Surprise"
Hero - no nominations
Ken & Incineroar - no nominations

Based on artistry, creativity, tension and impact combined into one steadfastly shifting criteria.

King K Rool is still the top for me, that fakeout after waiting so long... amazing

Back
Top Bottom