• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro Favourite Arcade Archives titles

bixente

Tingle
The first Hamster release I really got into was City Connection. Has a very catchy soundtrack too. I figured out a strat to score high without even leaving the first stage also. Last time I checked I was in second position on high score mode. Great game. Haven't played it for a while though so I'd be rusty as heck.

My absolute favorite though is Neo Turf Masters. It's been given some new generic title like Big Tournament Golf, but whatever. I always pick the German golfer, he works best for me. And my best round was a -10 on the Japan course. But I like trying all the courses. It's the best golf game on the system.

I've picked up some more titles recently. There's a twitch streamer I watch, Zotmeister, who takes submissions from viewers and plays Arcade Archives games for the next few hours. I watch his streams to get ideas for stuff that I might like to play. Last week he played a game called Buta-san. Looked great. I'll pick it up eventually.

Yesterday though I bought Halley's Comet. It's a shmup released in the mid 80s I believe, often thought to be ahead of its time. I love it so far. Though I'm terrible.

Anyhow. Talk about some of your favourite Hamster releases. Maybe some you consider underrated?

Came to say Neo Turf Masters/Big Tournament Golf, but I see that's been covered.

I think my most played AA game overall is probably the original Donkey Kong. Game requires some serious skill at higher levels.

Anyway, Arcade Archives Xain'd Sleena when?

69095.jpg

I only own two games.

-Neo Turf Masters
-Punch-Out!

I'm giving the edge to the golf game.

I've only ever played the Contra release during the brief period it was available for free, so...that by default, I guess?

Sky Skipper is quite possibly one of the most important titles on there, the only "wide" release it got was an Atari 2600 port. Because it did poorly in Location Testing. Almost all of the original cabinets were converted into Popeye machines.
189193-sky-skipper-atari-2600-screenshot-starting-level-1.png

(the atari 2600 port)
Hamster had to pull the ROMS out of an Arcade Machine located at the Nintendo Of America offices, which is reportedly one of the four remaining arcade boards of the game still in existence.

Baseball Stars 2 is really good if you're looking for an arcade sports game.

Like others have said, Big Tournament Golf (formerly Neo Turf Masters) is the one for me.

The best pre-Hot Shots Golf (PS era) golf game imo

I love a lot of the Nintendo Arcade Archives titles. It was really cool to be able to play both of the arcade Punch-Out games on my Switch, and as mentioned above, Sky Skipper is a really obscure get. Really neat game too!

Outside of those, I love Psycho Soldier. Can't get enough of that theme song!

Sky Skipper is quite possibly one of the most important titles on there, the only "wide" release it got was an Atari 2600 port. Because it did poorly in Location Testing. Almost all of the original cabinets were converted into Popeye machines.
189193-sky-skipper-atari-2600-screenshot-starting-level-1.png

(the atari 2600 port)
Hamster had to pull the ROMS out of an Arcade Machine located at the Nintendo Of America offices, which is reportedly one of the four remaining arcade boards of the game still in existence.
This is why I love this series of releases. You get release/preservation of some obscure but important games. This Treehouse live presentation with one of the original NOA employees announcing the release of Donkey Kong (and this) was probably my favorite segment out of their treehouse history. It also helps that I know the geographic locations do their old warehouses, etc, so it was like I was living in the old stories.

Metal Slug 3, and nothing else comes remotely close for me;
the previous Metal Slugs were already pretty damn strong titles worthy of unconditional love and admiration, but Metal Slug 3 ups the ante in every single department and delivers an experience like no other.

tumblr_nhk8stYLlH1s9677oo1_r1_500.gifv

Also, Top Hunter: Roddy & Cathy is a pretty underrated NeoGeo gem, very quirky and fun sidescroller.

Now, if only Gunforce II/GeoStorm was allowed to be re-released from Irem jail...

I just bought NewZealand Story. It came out a couple of weeks ago and I only just found out.

I played it a ton on Amiga as a kid, and this is the prettier version obviously. Love it.

I have so many of these games on my wishlist but have never bought one.

Does anyone have impressions of these? I'd love to hear more about any of them.

Crossed Swords, Magician Lord, Baraduke, Gradius II/III, Magmax, Mutant Night, Psycho Soldier, Saboten Bombers, The Genji and the Heike Clans, Time Tunnel, Wiz, Youkai Douchuki.

Edit: I haven't received a response, but the one I am most interested in is Mutant Night so I will be getting that one some time soon.

^I got Mutant Night and it rocks.

The most recent Arcade Archives release is Mazinger Z, and with its licensing fees comes a doubling of the price at $15. (Link)

A sign of things to come?

Back
Top Bottom