• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • ❄️We captured the snow storm in a bottle!❄️

You can enable the snow via the button on the bottom left. If you'd like to remove the button, go to your preferences and enable the Hide snow button. Make sure you disable the snow first.

• Is the Video Game Industry DOOMED? WestEgg, Irene, and VolcanicDynamo discuss in the newest episode of the Famibords Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Favourite 2022 Direct?

bixente

Chain Chomp
For me it's a toss up between the first direct of 2022, and the partner showcase. Those were very enjoyable.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Live A Live, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC? The first direct of 2022 was gigachad stacked for me.

February 2022 is definitely a top 5 Direct for me. I hope this years first direct tops it

I'm just gonna say it: the Partner Showcase was the best Direct of the year.

It had great announcements with pacing far superior to the main shows of the year. Of course, I'd prefer Directs take more cues from the Wii U era; Takahashi and Koizumi playing volleyball and Miyamoto explaining Pikmin Bloom were the highlights of last year.

Within the new format, however, a good presentation that actually shows a reasonable number of games with a reasonable amount of time dedicated to each game is all I can want. The Partner Showcase delivered.

I would say the February Direct was the most hype and the rest were okay at best.

Partner showcase was probably the best one overall because of less fat and overall quite amount of good games - but the absolute highlights were spread between the other 2 directs. Xeno 3 and Octo 2 reveals were the top reveals for me.

I'm just gonna say it: the Partner Showcase was the best Direct of the year.

It had great announcements with pacing far superior to the main shows of the year. Of course, I'd prefer Directs take more cues from the Wii U era; Takahashi and Koizumi playing volleyball and Miyamoto explaining Pikmin Bloom were the highlights of last year.

Within the new format, however, a good presentation that actually shows a reasonable number of games with a reasonable amount of time dedicated to each game is all I can want. The Partner Showcase delivered.
Takahashi and Koizumi bit was funny.

Miyamoto put me to sleep.

Sept 22 for me just from the Fire Emblem and Pikmin reveals. 2 of my top franchises getting new entries and revealed in the same 40 minute window? Sign me up.

February Direct 100%. Not only did it revealed Strikers (that game now is kinda lol tho), Booster Course Pass, Switch Sports, Xenoblade Chronicles 3.

And I know that people here probably don't care but seeing Takahashi and Koizumi playing Switch Sports, that was neat and I don't want to hear otherwise.

September Direct wasn't that good in terms of pacing and maybe announcements but PIKMIN 4 (and Miyamoto showed up, Pikmin Bloom segment in retrospect isn't that bad as people make it to be, Miyamoto thought it in the good way, and finally seeing ToTK name and date). Engage.

Probably February. Strikers may have came and went, but it was hype when it was unveiled. Live A Live 2DHD was also a welcome surprise.

February for sure. The Booster Course Pass was my favorite announcement last year and getting Xenoblade 3 was awesome. I was generally happy with a ton of the rest of the games too.

Pacing was rough for the partner show and the September one fell a bit flat for first party despite third party being solid. Pikmin 4 is super hype, but the footage was lacking. Tears of the Kingdom footage was weak. I’ll never forget the hype leading up to it on Fami or Fist of the North Star Boxing lol.

whatever one had xenoblade 3, whatever one had rune factory 3 and a wonderful life remakes and whatever one had the rune factory spinoff announcement

How do you guys even remember Directs haha. I'm more about remembering specific announcements.

Though from reading other comments here, I did remember February had Mario Strikers, Live A Live, and the Mario Kart Booster Pass, the latter of which was also revealed to be "free" with the Expansion Pass. The Partner Showcase was pretty dang good too.

September 2022.

Tears of the Kingdom name and reveal, Octopath Traveler II, Pikmin 4, etc.

I try to remember what went on in the directs last year but there's not much past some waifu tilling the soil

February 2022 direct was straight up the best direct of the Switch era. 2nd best if you’re counting the initial reveal. September 2022 direct was also pretty strong.

Everything else was meh, including the Partner Showcase. Hard to get excited for a bunch of ports at this point.

February 2022 direct was straight up the best direct of the Switch era. 2nd best if you’re counting the initial reveal. September 2022 direct was also pretty strong.

Everything else was meh, including the Partner Showcase. Hard to get excited for a bunch of ports at this point.
Well it was more than ports.

Lorelei and the Laser Eyes
Sunbreak dlc
Blanc
Return to Monkey Island
Sparks of Hope
Little Noah
Railgrade
Live a Live
Sonic Frontiers
Disney Dreamlight Valley
DQ Treasures
Three Hopes
Harvestella
Battle Network Collection

And yes ports (of good quality) like Nier, Persona, Portal, and No Man's Sky.

It's always funny to me that there's very strong opinions about directs in both ways - Best direct ever! Worst direct ever!

It must be near impossible for Nintendo to make a direct that hits the homerun with the the entire audience.

I actually have to go with the Partner Showcase, which is interesting because I tend to look forward to Nintendo's first-party the most. It came out of nowhere and was incredibly solid even by "general Direct" standards. We got dream ports like NieR and Persona (finally), Pac-Man World remake, Battle Network collection, Portal shadow-drop... Just awesome stuff all around. I felt very good after watching it.

in terms on content, I would probably say september 2022.

but the pacing of the Xenoblade Direct was really something else, a perfectly cut Direct that worked perfectly for its purpose.

The February one was amazing. I watched it again a couple of days ago and was amazed with how stacked with great games it was. There were also some neat little surprises like Klonoa collection.
The September one had terrible pacing and was filled with farming games that I have zero interest in. The Pikmin segment was also pretty bad although it was the best announcement of the direct.
I honestly can’t remember much from the Partner direct… It had Persona and Nier Automata? Guess I have to rewatch that one.

It must be near impossible for Nintendo to make a direct that hits the homerun with the the entire audience.
It's straight up impossible, especially since there's quite a few cliques that base their impression of a presentation purely on whether a specific game or franchse shows up. Best Nintendo can do is hit as many demographics as they can, and I think they've been doing well on that aspect, especially compared to the 3DS + Wii U era. Hopefully they can forge more first party partnerships and get even more third parties on board with their next system.

The Partner Showcase was absolutely brilliant and I loved almost everything they announced there. Nowadays, whenever people make jokes about the next Direct being a Mini or a Partner Showcase I always think "Well, if it is like the one from June, sign me up!"

Well it was more than ports.

Lorelei and the Laser Eyes
Sunbreak dlc
Blanc
Return to Monkey Island
Sparks of Hope
Little Noah
Railgrade
Live a Live
Sonic Frontiers
Disney Dreamlight Valley
DQ Treasures
Three Hopes
Harvestella
Battle Network Collection

And yes ports (of good quality) like Nier, Persona, Portal, and No Man's Sky.
Guess my tastes just didn’t align then, because there isn’t anything in that list that really caught my interest besides stuff that had already been previously announced. Maybe Lorelei, I guess.

Think what I personally want out if a direct is just different from others. A lot of people in this thread seem to love it, whereas I was quite disappointed with it overall.

considering watching every general direct ever at some point because to my memory september 2022 was the worst of all time

Back
Top Bottom