• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Favorite Pokemon type?

gotta type 'em all

• Rock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Electric

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Grass

Votes: 10 10.6%
  • Poison

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Psychic

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Fire

• Ground

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Flying

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Bug

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • Normal

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Ghost

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • Fighting

• Steel

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Ice

• Dragon

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Dark

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Fairy

• Total voters

Mekanos

YOU は SHOCK
Pronouns
he/they
This is it, the poll to end all polls. What is your favorite type in Pokemon? It could be for any number of reasons, the Pokemon themselves, the moves, their competitive viability, the only thing that matters is that you vote in this poll.

It's a cliche answer but I think I'm going with Dark. Dark type had this aura of mystery back in the GSC days, when Dark types were so rare and they were sold as the thing that could finally kill Psychic types after dominating gen 1, and a lot of my favorite Pokemon, by coincidence or otherwise, happen to be Dark. Plus the whole cloak and dagger style thing with the moves is fun.

Fire and Fighting would probably be my next favorite types. As you can imagine, I have a lot of love for Infernape, Scrafty, and Houndoom.

Used to be water as a kid because I loved aquatic animals, but ghost Pokémon always have the best designs.

hard to say, there are so many good ones. water, rock, fire, poison, bug, fighting. easy choice is that steel is the worst.

Bug type seems to have some of the cutest Pokemon, especially when it comes to the first stages.

My favourite would be Dog type, though.

I think there's no bad type. I actually like various Pokemon of different types, but a question like this almost seems like there's an implication that one only likes that one type or thinks others are bad. I always like having a diverse team with attacks that can cover many different types. Pokemon with fangs usually learn Bite and Crunch, both Dark moves. Before playing mainline Pokemon I actually thought attacks are solely based on the Pokemon's type, so I was surprised when I saw they can learn moves outside of it.

Last edited:
14076.gif

bug

I think Ghost has some of the best designs but I'm partial to an Ice type here and there, even if they're usually pretty fragile in a battle scenario.

I also didn't realise that a lot of Pokémon I gravitate towards also seem to have Fighting in their Evo lines

Always had a soft-spot for ghost and psychic types. Also poison and bug, to a lesser extent.

If I had to pick one, definitely ghost.

Used to be water as a kid because I loved aquatic animals, but ghost Pokémon always have the best designs.
Ghost is a type where I feel like the first few gens sort of suffered from "Ghost means floating purple blob," but around gen 5 I think the Ghost type designs got really creative. Though Gengar is also my favorite Ghost type so maybe I'm okay with floating purple blobs.

Ground. It's so dumb and half of them seem to be rock but sandshrew and cubone carry them to above grass which only really has bulbasaur

Back in the day, I took part in mono type tournaments. I chose Flying, and ever since then I've loved the type. So many incredible pokémon, a ridiculous variety. It contains a ton of cool legendaries, tanky stuff like Gliscor, monsters that'll run over your team like Gyarados and Salamence, trolly little beauties like Jumpluff. Fun things like Hawlucha.

Just a great and varied type. Stealth Rock can be an issue, but it can be played round.

Not sure I have a favorite type, but Dugtrio is my favorite Pokemon, so ground I suppose.

Fighting

Amazingly useful in battle, and there's so many dope fighting type Pokemon. Blaziken, Heracross, Falinks, Lucario, Sirfetch'd, Hawlucha. So good.

Need me a Fighting/Electric type, tho. C'mon Game Freak, it's time

Fighting

Amazingly useful in battle, and there's so many dope fighting type Pokemon. Blaziken, Heracross, Falinks, Lucario, Sirfetch'd, Hawlucha. So good.

Need me a Fighting/Electric type, tho. C'mon Game Freak, it's time
Fighting/Electric is definitely way overdue. I think Fairy, Ground, and Electric are the only types that haven't been paired with Fighting.

I also want a Ghost/Fighting type that isn't a Legendary.

Always been an Ice guy. For some reason all the awesome Pokémon are Ice. Coolest moves are also Ice, no pun intended.

By natural inclination it's Water and Grass types, but the only tournament I ever won was with a mono Ground team, so I've developed an affinity for that typing, and in turn also Rock and Steele pokémon because so many of them overlap.

Sandshrew, Cubone, Hippowdon, Drilbur, Mudsdale, Rhydon, Gligar, Flygon, Krookodile, Geodude, Onix, Wooper, Larvitar, Swampert, Torterra, Gastrodon, Gible, Mamoswine, Seismitoad and Pallosand are all stars.

Always been an Ice guy. For some reason all the awesome Pokémon are Ice. Coolest moves are also Ice, no pun intended.
In general fantasy fiction I've always been drawn to ice users, but oddly I feel the opposite I do about Ghost; the first few gens had lots of really cool Ice types, but around gen 5 they started to get blander and less interesting to me (though I am one of five people that liked Vanilluxe). Frosmoth is a class act though.

I'd probably still put Ice in my top five favorite types, despite being the worst type in the game.

In general fantasy fiction I've always been drawn to ice users, but oddly I feel the opposite I do about Ghost; the first few gens had lots of really cool Ice types, but around gen 5 they started to get blander and less interesting to me (though I am one of five people that liked Vanilluxe). Frosmoth is a class act though.

I'd probably still put Ice in my top five favorite types, despite being the worst type in the game.
One of the reasons I love Ice type: The series is called Pocket MONSTERS, but Ice has all the monstrous pokémon: Mamoswine, Beartic, Glalie, Abomasnow, Avalugg, Walrein, Crabominable... All the pokémon that I'd die to see in live action.

I'd say Grass, but then I realized I can't think of any Grass Pokemon I like besides the starters

So I'll still say Grass but it's a bit more tentative

Ghost is a type where I feel like the first few gens sort of suffered from "Ghost means floating purple blob," but around gen 5 I think the Ghost type designs got really creative. Though Gengar is also my favorite Ghost type so maybe I'm okay with floating purple blobs.

Hey now, those are really cool floating purple blobs thank you.

But yes, I do think from gen 5 onward the ghost designs have gotten even better. Mimikyu, Decidueye, Chandelure line, Basculegion, Corsola and Cursola just top of my head are all some of my favourites from their gens.

I really enjoy fighting type Pokemon. Honorable fighters is a simple yet diverse archetype that's been really effective in its diversity. Dual types are some of my favorites, and fighting types got some amazing ones. Heracross, Medicham, Bewear, Breloom, Pangoro, the fire/fighting starters (all of whom I have a soft spot for), the new Hisuian Decidueye and Lilligant, the list goes on. This doesn't even include ones I've always wanted to raise but never had a chance to, like Hawlucha, Gallade, Lucario and Scrafty.

Ironically, though, my top three favorite Pokemon (Venusaur, Clefairy and Corviknight) aren't fighting types. I think I like the most number of fighting types, though, which is why it's my go-to favorite.

I also enjoy the Fire Type (probably the "element" I most vibe with, though I admit I want to love more of them than I do), the Flying type (the ol' reliable, and also has some great dual types), and the Steel Type (the tankiest of lads).

I also enjoy the Fire Type (probably the "element" I most vibe with, though I admit I want to love more of them than I do)
I definitely vibe with this lol, Fire types are such a mixed bag, amazingly offensively but very vulnerable defensively, and moveset availability isn't the greatest (physical Fire types basically need Flare Blitz, and some aren't even lucky enough to get Fire Punch), plus a lot of Fire types are just "red animal." But even so there's a lot of really cool Pokemon and my favorite Pokemon of all time is a Fire type (Infernape). I think Fire is great too when it accentuates a type/design; Houndoom and Volcarona already work as a hell hound/Mothra type of Pokemon, but the Fire element gives them a nice touch of flavor.

I really want a Fire/Water type that isn't a legendary.

dark because dark moves encourage unconventional play with a lot of their secondary effects rather than doing high direct damage

Psychic types are my favs. Love the diversity in the mons that have the type, and just the concept is really cool to me.

Hey now, those are really cool floating purple blobs thank you.

But yes, I do think from gen 5 onward the ghost designs have gotten even better. Mimikyu, Decidueye, Chandelure line, Basculegion, Corsola and Cursola just top of my head are all some of my favourites from their gens.
They definitely upped their game. Trevanant is probably my favourite Ghost type of them all, such a simple but brilliant design and with a great shiny to boot.

I think in combination with nostalgia: Fire and closely followed Ghost.

Funny enough I never had the time to use a lot of Fire types as I always start my games with a fire type. But luckily most Fire-starters are great.

Water and Psychic are my favorites. Conceptually Psychic is cooler and I picked that first, but I always pick the Water starters and usually have two water types on my team so I switched to Water. That said, I’ve been out of Pokemon for like two decades and there have been a lot of cool Ghost types added over the years judging by Snap and Arceus…might be a new favorite lol.

It's been psychic since I saw Sabrina's Kadabra mop the floor with Pikachu as a kid. Sabrina was robbed! She'd still be undefeated to this day.

Miserable, but undefeated, lol.

Least favourite are probably:
Water (too many bland fish that can't even fight in most areas except by logic-defying floating)
Ghost (too many purple blobs; it's annoying how they can't interact with normal types)
Ice (too many crap pokemon; too monocolour; strategically terrible type)

Favourites:
Fire (just great designs from the Charmander line all the way to Volcarona)
Bug (these are the most animal-like "realistic" pokemon, which is what I like)
Fairy (took all the cutest normal type pokemon and made them special/worthwhile)

Fire.

Things go fwoosh. Ho-oh was my favourite from 1999 onwards until XY when Tyrunt became my new favourite.

Also I do enjoy ice, dragon and steel for their variety, and while not usually my favourites I do appreciate having two of three electric/water/grass for being a staple and necessity for a well rounded team

Back
Top Bottom