• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data Famitsu Week 25, 2022 (June 13-19): Phil does it again

Abzeronow

Koopa
Pronouns
he/him

Software:
1. NSW Demon Slayer The Hinokami Chronicles 20,964/111,849
2. Nintendo Switch Sports 18,789/493,096
3. Mario Strikers Battle League 13,002/45,175
4. Kirby and the Forgotten Land 8,649/769,571
5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 8,456/4,682,390
6. Minecraft 6,887/2,677,377
7. NSW Overlord: Escape From Nazarick 5,682
8. Ring Fit Adventure 5,462/3,181,291
9. Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl 5,043/2,560,536
10. Super Smash Brothers Ultimate 4,364/4,905,190

Demon Slayer still on top, Switch Sports almost past half a million. All Switch Top 10

Hardware:
Nintendo Switch family (includes OLED Lite and OG) 50,405 (this week)
Switch OLED 22,860 (this week)
Xbox Series 6,695 (this week)
PS5 (all varieties) 3,035 (this week)

Rough week for Switches and PS5s. Great week for Xbox. 2nd time this year they beat Sony for the week.

That’s a decent drop on Strikers after the relatively weak debut, no?
Yes, seems like a decent drop. Demon Slayer on Switch is ahead of the PS4 version with Week 2 when you compare their Week 2 numbers, decent bet it winds up outselling both PS4 and PS5 version in lifetime sales.

I am really curious to know Switch Sports digital sales. I expect a much higher ratio than usual, given the game cheaper price on the eshop.

It's just a sad situation for PS5, not just because Xbox can surpass it in certain weeks but now we've reached the point where it's unlikely to pass the PS4 LTD again either. I wonder how far it'll get in Japan, Vita levels maybe?

6knk29.jpg

It's just a sad situation for PS5, not just because Xbox can surpass it in certain weeks but now we've reached the point where it's unlikely to pass the PS4 LTD again either. I wonder how far it'll get in Japan, Vita levels maybe?
If there was no stock issues there would also be no scalpers sending the consoles overseas, it's a weird situation right now for PS5. Does it sell well because there is a real demand for it or is most of the demand scalpers? Software numbers for 3rd parties were Wii U level last year and PS5 has got 3rd party support that the Wii U could only have dreamed, it's a weird situation all around.

If there was no stock issues there would also be no scalpers sending the consoles overseas, it's a weird situation right now for PS5. Does it sell well because there is a real demand for it or is most of the demand scalpers? Software numbers for 3rd parties were Wii U level last year and PS5 has got 3rd party support that the Wii U could only have dreamed, it's a weird situation all around.
It is, Sony is in a weird place there and you just know they still have a killer lineup coming. 2023 is shaping up really well for them with the Final Fantasy games alone. Plus Resident Evil is coming and we know Monster Hunter is due to make an appearance after World was so explosive (if not in 2023 then definitely in 2024). It's going to look really strange when some of these games struggle to even reach that million mark in Japan.

The OLED boost is starting to fade, as expected.
OLED sales are gonna be way down by the holidays, while normal switch and switch lite sales will be very low due to market saturation.
They need to get new hardware on the market by next year or face severe problems.

Back when I frequented the sales threads on Era before Install base was created, I feel like the PS5 hardware/software situation could be described as strange. 18 months into that console's lifecycle is a large enough sample size for me to say that the jury's in: the PS5 has a dedicated fanbase in Japan that's much smaller than any other Sony console in history.

I've been waiting for software numbers to creep into the charts for months, but the Switch has pretty much had at least 25 of the top 30 for two years now. Games like Elden Ring are the exception and the global performance of the PS5 reduces the importance of Japanese sales. My only questions now are how high can Xbox rise in Japan and what will Nintendo do globally now that they have near-universal support from Japanese developers.

Back when I frequented the sales threads on Era before Install base was created, I feel like the PS5 hardware/software situation could be described as strange. 18 months into that console's lifecycle is a large enough sample size for me to say that the jury's in: the PS5 has a dedicated fanbase in Japan that's much smaller than any other Sony console in history.

I've been waiting for software numbers to creep into the charts for months, but the Switch has pretty much had at least 25 of the top 30 for two years now. Games like Elden Ring are the exception and the global performance of the PS5 reduces the importance of Japanese sales. My only questions now are how high can Xbox rise in Japan and what will Nintendo do globally now that they have near-universal support from Japanese developers.
It's because right now the majority of PS5 owners are scalpers waiting for someone to pay 800 bucks for it. Most PS5s that have been sold haven't really been sold yet.

OLED sales are gonna be way down by the holidays, while normal switch and switch lite sales will be very low due to market saturation.
They need to get new hardware on the market by next year or face severe problems.

There are OLED stock issues in Japan

It's because right now the majority of PS5 owners are scalpers waiting for someone to pay 800 bucks for it. Most PS5s that have been sold haven't really been sold yet.
While a significant number are being scalped, I don't believe it's most of the Famitsu tracked PS5s. The spikes in software sales around certain games show that a large portion PS5s remain in Japan, but those ppl don't seem to be buying anything other than marquee titles.

Bigger picture, global PS5 supply isn't going to be normalized anytime soon, and so this trend will also continue.

Famitsu Week 25, 2022 Top 30 (June 13-19)
Top 30: https://nintendoeverything.com/famitsu-software-sales-6-13-22-6-19-22-top-30/

1. [NSW] Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba – The Hinokami Chronicles – 20,964 / 111,849
2. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports – 18,789 / 493,046
3. [NSW] Mario Strikers: Battle League – 13,002 / 45,175
4. [NSW] Kirby and the Forgotten Land – 8,649 / 769,571
5. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 8,456 / 4,682,390
6. [NSW] Minecraft – 6,887 / 2,677,377
7. [NSW] Overlord: Escape from Nazarick – 5,682 / NEW
8. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 5,462 / 3,181,291
9. [NSW] Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl – 5,043 / 2,560,536
10. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 4,364 / 4,905,190
11. [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise Best Price – 4,310 / 71,482
12. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 3,116 / 7,268,190
13. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars – 3,056 / 981,769
14. [NSW] Taiko Risshiden V DX – 3,017 / 31,947
15. [NSW] eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2022 – 2,846 / 190,148
16. [NSW] Pokemon Legends: Arceus – 2,468 / 2,261,653
17. [NSW] Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 2,344 / 2,042,308
18. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! – 2,237 / 2,667,384
19. [NSW] Splatoon 2 – 2,189 / 4,091,353
20. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 2,090 / 987,164
21. [PS4] Sniper Elite 5 – 1,641 / NEW
22. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield – 1,450 / 4,348,371
23. [PS5] Gran Turismo 7 – 1,370 / 108,491
24. [PS5] Sniper Elite 5 – 1,284 / NEW
25. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum ‘n’ Fun! – 1,261 / 722,337
26. [NSW] Human: Fall Flat – 1,244 / 266,420
27. [NSW] Kirby Star Allies – 1,229 / 987,403
28. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury – 1,189 / 1,054,361
29. [NSW] The Quintessential Quintuplets the Movie – 1,134 (25,448)
30. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 – 1,047 / 1,222,398

NS - 27
PS5 - 2
PS4 - 1

Last edited:
Nintendo has complete control over Japan at this point, interesting seeing the XB systems sell more than Sony systems. Those supply shortages are really hurting Sony

Nintendo has complete control over Japan at this point, interesting seeing the XB systems sell more than Sony systems. Those supply shortages are really hurting Sony
Rather than the hardware it’s the software situation that should be getting Sony worried. PS games are barely charting to the point that Nintendo occupying 20 out of the top 30 spots is already a commonplace thing.

Seeing the various PS5 lottery result polls on Japanese Twitter still be overwhelmingly filled users that weren't chosen leads me to believe that there is still a large audience that wants a PS5 but can't get one. The most recent poll I saw, from two days ago, was 7% getting a PS5 and the remaining 93% not. I'm not sure how accurate these polls are, but I expected at least the ratio to change over the past year. The ratio hasn't changed at all, as far as I can tell.

Rather than the hardware it’s the software situation that should be getting Sony worried. PS games are barely charting to the point that Nintendo occupying 20 out of the top 30 spots is already a commonplace thing.
I'm not really familiar with the PS scene at the moment but it seems like there's only a handful of real PS5 games. The strategy seems shaky... it's good for consumers that PS4 is still supported, but what happens if PS5 is eclipsed by something else before it becomes the true main platform (i.e. where the majority of new games only appear on PS5 not PS4)? The thing's already been out a couple of years.

It'll never not be amazing to me how Nintendo just ate the entire Japanese market. I'm also curious how PC does there. I haven't heard anyone talk about it, but I could see a lot of the traditional console market being moved to laptops or something there.

I'm not really familiar with the PS scene at the moment but it seems like there's only a handful of real PS5 games. The strategy seems shaky... it's good for consumers that PS4 is still supported, but what happens if PS5 is eclipsed by something else before it becomes the true main platform (i.e. where the majority of new games only appear on PS5 not PS4)? The thing's already been out a couple of years.
The issue is that not even ps4 releases do as well now.

It'll never not be amazing to me how Nintendo just ate the entire Japanese market. I'm also curious how PC does there. I haven't heard anyone talk about it, but I could see a lot of the traditional console market being moved to laptops or something there.
After the news about Elden Ring, I believe that PC is eating what's left and obtaining growth that way. Jp language looks to be growing on the steam hardware survey

The issue is that not even ps4 releases do as well now.
Yeah I was a bit off-topic, it's just something that struck me the other day when I was at a relative's house who has a PS5. All her game boxes were PS4 boxes, bar maybe one.

Yeah I was a bit off-topic, it's just something that struck me the other day when I was at a relative's house who has a PS5. All her game boxes were PS4 boxes, bar maybe one.
well it's still good that many ps4 games have free upgrades. so they're not missing out.

Is striker not a typical digital purchased game though?
I mean, it is so small, 1,5 Gb. You don't have to think long about your free microSD space...

Is striker not a typical digital purchased game though?
I mean, it is so small, 1,5 Gb. You don't have to think long about your free microSD space...
given the launch sales, digital isn't gonna amount to much. as of last week it was #4 on the JP eshop

Okay.
It's a bit of a shame. I quite like the game, especially in couch co-op mode. It is very bare bone at start though and has very little single player appeal.

20 spots only is not a common thing at all Switch has to have a couple of awful weeks + PS amazing weeks for that to happen and that hasn't happened in probably one year +. 25-28 is the normal and before Switch released 26 spots was the record for a console (PS1) post famicon era just to show Switch dominance

Is this a joke post or what are you even talking about?

Oled has stock issues.

Back
Top Bottom