• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data Famitsu Week 24, 2022 (Jun. 6-Jun.12)

Abzeronow

Koopa
Pronouns
he/him

Software:
1. NSW Demon Slayer The Hinokami Chronicles 90,885
2. Mario Strikers: Battle League 32,173
3. Nintendo Switch Sports 26,476/474,257
4. Kirby and the Forgotten Land 11,345/760,922
5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 9,320/4,673,934
6. Minecraft 7,325/2,670,490
7. Ring Fit Adventure 6,759/3,175,829
8. PS5 Gran Turismo 7 5,080/107,121
9. Super Smash Brothers Ultimate 4,953/4,900,826
10. NSW eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2022 4,073/187,302

Demon Slayer is back and on the top spot for Switch games. Strikers not as hot as Golf or Tennis. Is GT7 the first PS5 evergreen?

Hardware:
Nintendo Switch family (includes OLED Lite and OG) 58,436 (this week), 2,090,903 (YTD)
Switch OLED 14,767 (this week), 1,104,168 (YTD)
PS5 (all varieties) 12,440 (this week), 467,663 (YTD)
Xbox Series 6,242 (this week), 103,706 (YTD)

Switch slips as OLED has supply issues. Nintendoomed? Probably not. PS5 slips a little while Xbox has another strong week.

Amazing Demon Slayer.
Mario Strikers instead... I'm kind of glad. Cause that's what happens when you release half developed games. (I don't thinks it's a bad game, just lack of content).

I'm really not happy with how Nintendo are handling their sports games with the whole 'release it now, finish it later' method - it's ridiculous, in my view, to hold characters and modes back that should be in the base game, and it will put people off. I'm all for them doing post launch content, as long as the post launch content actually adds to the game rather than patches up the missing pieces.

Demon slayer has a nice opening maybe companies will start releasing games first day on switch instead of this one year later crap , yeah right 😂
CC2 already releases all their own games on the Switch, next time though for contract work they will also add it to not have to go through this situation again.

CC2 already releases all their own games on the Switch, next time though for contract work they will also add it to not have to go through this situation again.
the CEO during the elementary school interview:

arrested-development-season1.gif

Switch seems to be having some really inconsistant supply. PS5 supply seemed to have found a baseline, so that's at least good.Even if its software is still abysmal, and that would be the most important thing to recover.

Other than that, nothing exciting this week.

Does anyone have comparisons for the other Strikers titles? I'm at work so I can't dig it up myself.

Does anyone have comparisons for the other Strikers titles? I'm at work so I can't dig it up myself.
Mario Strikers GCN: 69k (LTD 194k)
Mario Strikers Charged: 32k (LTD 225k)
Both numbers are retail only but there was no digital at the time, now there is digital so it's between both entries opening wise. But like all Mario Sports titles what should matter is legs and WC should help with it

Mario Strikers GCN: 69k (LTD 194k)
Mario Strikers Charged: 32k (LTD 225k)
Both numbers are retail only but there was no digital at the time, now there is digital so it's between both entries opening wise. But like all Mario Sports titles what should matter is legs and WC should help with it
Even with digital sales, this is not impressive and even a bit disappointing. Switch has ~double the install base of Wii ltd (according to game data library), attach rates are more impressive on the Switch and yet Battle League is doing similar numbers in retail, and even worse than Strikers GCN.

Though I'm not going as far as to call it a bomba, legs can carry it. Now it has to prove that it can have better legs than Charged, it even has a little help of the WC this holiday.

I expect it to do better than Charged, but that imo does not imply it's a success. I also don't think the lack of content is entirely at fault, though I can imagine it would do better if it was complete at release (especially if it had meaningful singleplayer content).

Even with digital sales, this is not impressive and even a bit disappointing. Switch has ~double the install base of Wii ltd (according to game data library), attach rates are more impressive on the Switch and yet Battle League is doing similar numbers in retail, and even worse than Strikers GCN.

Though I'm not going as far as to call it a bomba, legs can carry it. Now it has to prove that it can have better legs than Charged, it even has a little help of the WC this holiday.

I expect it to do better than Charged, but that imo does not imply it's a success. I also don't think the lack of content is entirely at fault, though I can imagine it would do better if it was complete at release (especially if it had meaningful singleplayer content).
It is a disappointing start for sure especially when you consider other Mario Sports titles had much better openings (Golf 80k and Tennis 120k even if Tennis was pre-vouchers).

It is a disappointing start for sure especially when you consider other Mario Sports titles had much better openings (Golf 80k and Tennis 120k even if Tennis was pre-vouchers).
Also remember that the US is the only region where vouchers aren't a thing anymore. At least I think Japan still has them.

Strikers was always going to be a harder sell in Japan but the bulk of its sales is going to come from other markets. It’s too early to say whether it will bomb but I wouldn’t be sad if it did 🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s the lack of Daisy obviously.

Tho honestly. I didn’t expect much from Strikers in Japan. It wasn’t tracking well form what I kept up with. Plus. It wasn’t huge there before with GC or Wii. Golf and Tennis were always more popular.

Meanwhile Namco readying One Piece Odyssey for release: "Yeah that's nice for you CC2 but Playstation and Xbox are the main gaming hub in the west. Right? Right? Someone please say "right"..."

Meanwhile Namco readying One Piece Odyssey for release: "Yeah that's nice for you CC2 but Playstation and Xbox are the main gaming hub in the west. Right? Right? Someone please say "right"..."
well it's not like Demon Slayer performed poorly overall. the west definitely carried it, the same will happen for One Piece. should do better too given it's a more popular genre

If CC2 pushes for Switch SKU (which they will Bamco contract work is tied to sales performance) they will just accept it, same as KT did making One Piece Warriors 4 Switch day 1 for the same reason

well it's not like Demon Slayer performed poorly overall. the west definitely carried it, the same will happen for One Piece. should do better too given it's a more popular genre
DS's biggest sales percentage will be on Switch again, no doubt about it. Namco leaves the decision to bring the games to Switch to individual devs and they prefer easy to develop systems over more profitable one (Switch). Nothing wrong about it from their perspective and ILCA knows Switch very well. They're totally ok with missing hundreds of thousands of sales.

DS's biggest sales percentage will be on Switch again, no doubt about it. Namco leaves the decision to bring the games to Switch to individual devs and they prefer easy to develop systems over more profitable one (Switch). Nothing wrong about it from their perspective and ILCA knows Switch very well. They're totally ok with missing hundreds of thousands of sales.
6jwj8c.jpg

Aniplex, actually. which is weird since they are decent supporters of the switch. I think CC2 were responsible for the lack of switch port this time. but since Aniplex was paying them, they should have put their foot down

Aniplex, actually. which is weird since they are decent supporters of the switch. I think CC2 were responsible for the lack of switch port this time
No, you got me wrong. The Namco part of my post was about OP: Odyssey. DS got a late port because CC2/Aniplex know about how the Switch versions sell and CC2 games are perfectly scalable to receive such miraculous ports. For OP Odyssey decision is up to ILCA.

No, you got me wrong. The Namco part of my post was about OP: Odyssey. DS got a late port because CC2/Aniplex know about how the Switch versions sell and CC2 games are perfectly scalable to receive such miraculous ports. For OP Odyssey decision is up to ILCA.
OP Odyssey to Switch will not happen, Bamco has stopped making Switch late ports of anime games if not pushed by the dev and ILCA is just a support studio for Bamco they lack the hability to push for such a thing right now like CC2 does due to being a bigger and more 'famous' studio

OP Odyssey to Switch will not happen, Bamco has stopped making Switch late ports of anime games if not pushed by the dev and ILCA is just a support studio for Bamco they lack the hability to push for such a thing right now like CC2 does due to being a bigger and more 'famous' study
I don't think screaming "bitch we made pokemon!" is gonna give them a nod, unfortunately

OP Odyssey to Switch will not happen, Bamco has stopped making Switch late ports of anime games if not pushed by the dev and ILCA is just a support studio for Bamco they lack the hability to push for such a thing right now like CC2 does due to being a bigger and more 'famous' study
Nah, I think it'll happen. Next year, precisely. They love late ports, they sell well and I doubt they intend to stop that. Namco was the only third party publisher next to Atlus who supported 3DS till the very end.

For this fall, they could have a lat port of a last years game. My guess is Scarlet Nexus, made by TOSE, a Nintendo affiliate studio.

Famitsu Week 24,2022 Top 30 (Jun. 6-12)
1. [NSW] Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba – The Hinokami Chronicles – 90,885 / NEW
2. [NSW] Mario Strikers: Battle League – 32,173 / NEW
3. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports – 26,476 / 474,257
4. [NSW] Kirby and the Forgotten Land – 11,345 / 760,922
5. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 9,320 / 4,673,934
6. [NSW] Minecraft – 7,325 / 2,670,490
7. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 6,759 / 3,175,829
8. [PS5] Gran Turismo 7 – 5,080 / 107,121
9. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 4,953 / 4,900,826
10. [NSW] eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2022 – 4,073 / 187,302
11. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars – 3,605 / 978,713
12. [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise Best Price – 3,313 / 67,172
13. [NSW] Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl – 3,245 / 2,555,493
14. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 3,145 / 7,265,074
15. [NSW] Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 2,992 / 2,039,964
16. [NSW] The Quintessential Quintuplets the Movie: Five Memories of My Time with You – 2,874 / 24,314
17. [NSW] Pokemon Legends: Arceus – 2,785 / 2,259,185
18. [NSW] Splatoon 2 – 2,426 / 4,089,164
19. [NSW] KLAP!! for Nintendo Switch – 2,284 / NEW
20. [PS4] The Quarry – 2,203 / NEW
21. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! – 2,093 / 2,665,147
22. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 2,054 / 985,074
23. [NSW] Taiko Risshiden V DX – 1,794 / 28,930
24. [PS5] The Quarry – 1,717 / NEW
25. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield – 1,585 / 4,346,921
26. [NSW] Human: Fall Flat – 1,447 / 265,176
27. [PS4] The Quintessential Quintuplets the Movie: Five Memories of My Time with You – 1,265 / 10,294
28. [NSW] Kirby Star Allies – 1,258 / 986,174
29. [NSW] Touken Ranbu Warriors – 1,256 / 141,085
30. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury – 1,181 / 1,053,172

NS - 26
PS4 - 2
PS5 - 2

Last edited:
Seeing how popular the franchise was last year when the game released, yes it performed relatively poorly in Japan and worldwide. With a Switch version last year they could had a big success but they were to slow to adapt to the market changes.

Didn’t they do a survey before DS was released? They knew and still refused to have switch version day 1 because reasons…? The PS launch underperformed surprise surprise.

jw4mpzd90tu41.jpg

Didn’t they do a survey before DS was released? They knew and still refused to have switch version day 1 because reasons…? The PS launch underperformed surprise surprise.

jw4mpzd90tu41.jpg
that was just the CEO asking a small group of elementary students what they had. also DS's demo is largely elementary students

Seeing how popular the franchise was last year when the game released, yes it performed relatively poorly in Japan and worldwide. With a Switch version last year they could had a big success but they were to slow to adapt to the market changes.
the game still shipped 1M. while it's no UNS or FighterZ, I honestly think the genre hurt it more than its platform choice. there's an exasperation towards anime arena fighters due to the glut of them

It has sold more in France first week than in Japan, it also has got amazing result in Spain, the strikers bomba dream may be dead if it also is a success in NA

is Kirby and the forgotten Land the best selling title in the series yet?
It hasn't outsold Kirby Star Allies yet in retail (it could with digital but that is unknown at the moment). Right now is the 12nd best selling Kirby at retail and with digital it is the 10th

Worldwide right now is the 3rd best selling version thanks to the huge boost in sales it got in Europe/NA (especially Europe) compared to prior entries

It hasn't outsold Kirby Star Allies yet in retail (it could with digital but that is unknown at the moment). Right now is the 12nd best selling Kirby at retail and with digital it is the 10th
Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom