• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Famiboards Halloween: recommendations, tips, tricks & treats!

7threst

Hello, lady of the house speaking?
Pronouns
He/him/his
Familoween.jpg

Yes, it's october which means Halloween is upon us! The darkness is coming, so let's prepare together! What are you going to do this Halloween?
Halloween is normally on the 31st of october, but in recent time it's a celebration that takes up the whole month. I don't mind, celebrations are awesome, even if it is as creepy as Halloween!

Halloween?
Yes, also known as All Hallows' evening, All Hallows' Eve and more names, it is a way to remember our lovely departed and also say goodbye to the warm season. Yes, winter is coming. This here is a quick read up on the history of Halloween.

I still don't know what I want to do this Halloween season!
No worries, the internet is (of course) overflowing with all kinds of tips and activities you can do. Go here for starters.

So, this thread?
It is a means to share tips and tricks for this month, including festivities you attend, recipes to share with the FAMIly, creepy films to watch during this season and even maybe crazy costume tips, everything goes!

Personally looking for some crazy and good recommendations on horror movies that are quite recent. Not attending any parties myself this year, It's mostly a stay-at-home-thing for me this year :)

I like to watch Over The Garden Wall this time of year, I recommend it if you haven’t seen it.
It's actually the first time I heard of this but googled it and came across this video I'm watching now:

It's a great recommendation!

It's actually the first time I heard of this but googled it and came across this video I'm watching now:

It's a great recommendation!

Heh, that video is a bit spoilery, but it’s a pretty good analysis.

I like to watch Over The Garden Wall this time of year, I recommend it if you haven’t seen it.
Always a great time of year to rewatch Over the Garden Wall and Gravity Falls.

I’ve also started listening to the Magnus Archives podcast because of a recommendation here and am really enjoying it. I was actually surprised that a couple so far were a lot spookier than I expected.

I need a good horror movie recommendation.- I do have the caveat that I’m not into ghosts. Never really have been much. And between all my streaming services, I feel I am having choice overload without a proper way to weed out the shit ones.

Also, I’m over zombies by now lol So no ghosts, no zombies. Oh and nothing that feels like a whole bunch of old guys went “what are the kids up to these days” and we get shit like what if twitter kills, or everyone who watches this tik tok will die.

My go to costume the last few years is Bob Ross, since literally the only extra prop I needed to buy for it was a wig. The rest is just normal clothes, and painting supplies (which I already have). And it's a crowd favorite. Spent $20 bucks on it and won $100 in a couple different contests that same year, so it paid for itself lol

Also loos like I gotta check out Over the Garden Wall now

Didn't even know there is another non-Annabelle Conjuring spin-off next to the Nun: The Curse of La Llorona. Gonna watch that!

My go to costume the last few years is Bob Ross, since literally the only extra prop I needed to buy for it was a wig. The rest is just normal clothes, and painting supplies (which I already have). And it's a crowd favorite. Spent $20 bucks on it and won $100 in a couple different contests that same year, so it paid for itself lol

Also loos like I gotta check out Over the Garden Wall now

Kinda feels this needs a pic lol.

Damnit I've spent way too much money on decorations and costumes but I still need to get the thing that matters, candy! It's so damn expensive though.

I may just buy candy for myself this Halloween. It's expensive, but well worth it. haha

I may just buy candy for myself this Halloween. It's expensive, but well worth it. haha
I’m thinking my usual gambit of November 1st Halloween candy will be a bust this year because of shortages in the supermarkets.

What’s everyone’s viewing schedules like? Would love to hear some horror and seasonal recommendations, I’ve watched nothing but dreck so far (Wrong Turn I expected to be mediocre but was even worse, Life was okay but nothing special, and Alone in the Dark was…well, obviously I knew what I was getting myself in for!). It’s time to raise the bar a little.

I've been watching at least one horror movie a day, as I do every October. So far the best I've seen are:
Dark Intruder: 60s Lovecraft-lite occult detective.
Carnival of Souls: The ultimate in pure spooky vibes. A masterpiece.
Phantasm II: The only horror franchise with BALLS!
Viy: Classic Russian folk horror.
Kill, Baby, Kill: Ridiculously beautiful Italian ghost nonsense.
I Drink Your Blood: Pure hippiesploitation sleaze.
The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires: British gothic horror meets 70s Shaw Bros. kung fu.
Always love giving horror movie recs.

I've been watching at least one horror movie a day, as I do every October. So far the best I've seen are:
Dark Intruder: 60s Lovecraft-lite occult detective.
Carnival of Souls: The ultimate in pure spooky vibes. A masterpiece.
Phantasm II: The only horror franchise with BALLS!
Viy: Classic Russian folk horror.
Kill, Baby, Kill: Ridiculously beautiful Italian ghost nonsense.
I Drink Your Blood: Pure hippiesploitation sleaze.
The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires: British gothic horror meets 70s Shaw Bros. kung fu.
Always love giving horror movie recs.
These all sound wild, thank you! I remember watching the Phantasm movies as a kid but funnily enough never watched past III - which ended on a big cliffhanger.

I’m thinking my usual gambit of November 1st Halloween candy will be a bust this year because of shortages in the supermarkets.
Yeaaah, my mom said Walmart has been short on candy for a while now.

When it comes to movie recommendations, everybody should check out Cronos. It's a really good horror flick by Guillermo del Toro. I was surprised by how nerve racking it can get at times, and the ending is beautiful.

Anybody got some good cookie recipes? I wanna bake some cool treats for the occasion.

From Scotland but love the way Americans celebrate Halloween. Was visiting my father years ago in October and the house decorations were incredible. If we done that here kids would steal and or wreck the stuff haha.

I love to enjoy “Ghost Watch” the BBC done in the early 90’s. People actually thought it was real. It’s on YouTube I think if you want to check it out.

I went to Halloween Horror Nights in September this year at universal studios florida, and that basically opened my eyes to the fact I actually really enjoy horror and haunted houses and such. Sadly I have no real avenues to go more nights or to go to other haunted houses as I strictly went to Orlando on a vacation trip and am now stuck on an island again. So me and a friend have basically been going through a good amount of horror movies, mostly classic ones and also horror adjacent stuff like sci fi and it's been a blast, we've watched about 10-12 movies so far with more to come, right now my favorite has been Halloween (1979 and 2018), The Thing and Alien(s).

From Scotland but love the way Americans celebrate Halloween. Was visiting my father years ago in October and the house decorations were incredible. If we done that here kids would steal and or wreck the stuff haha.

I love to enjoy “Ghost Watch” the BBC done in the early 90’s. People actually thought it was real. It’s on YouTube I think if you want to check it out.
Also from Scotland - did you ever carve neeps instead of pumpkins? I have such a vivid memory of doing this.

If you've never played Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, this is the perfect time of year for it. I run through it every October.

Also from Scotland - did you ever carve neeps instead of pumpkins? I have such a vivid memory of doing this.
I’ve never heard of that!! I’ve never actually made a proper jack o lantern and always wanted to. I need to do it this year!

I’ve never heard of that!! I’ve never actually made a proper jack o lantern and always wanted to. I need to do it this year!
Carving neeps is not easy, so I don't really recommend it. I don't even like being the one cooking them. But they are delightfully grim and creepy looking.

I don't know but I put together a costume for the first time in years so I'm going to find something to do to show that off, I know that much.

I've been posting an extra spooky gif on discord every day for the past 52 days. Only 16 days left of the #68DaysOfHalloween, then I can switch into full on Easter mode.

I wonder if the forum can host a Halloween event?

Like a video game themed murder mystery/who done it people can participate in.

Make a special account to interact with people and there is a mystery we have to solve for a small prize.

Maybe our own Squid Game lol

I wonder if the forum can host a Halloween event?

Like a video game themed murder mystery/who done it people can participate in.

Make a special account to interact with people and there is a mystery we have to solve for a small prize.

Maybe our own Squid Game lol
There is a Halloween gaming event stickied over at the Treehouse! Not the same, but still 🙂

Back
Top Bottom