• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Site Event Famiboards Game of the Year 2022 Celebration: WINNERS ANNOUNCED! See threadmark.

Voting
Yes this is a double post since the last one was on the bottom of the page.

Ok, the time has finally arrived. We have reached the voting stage! Rules are already in the ballot, but just so you can get a heads up.

• There are three pages to this ballot. One for the genre categories, one for the other categories, and one for the Game of the Year race.
  • You can vote for up to three categories in each category, but only one vote is required for each category. Points are tallied 3, 2, 1.
  • Game of the year will be set up to where you can vote for up to 10 games, but only 3 votes are required for that category. Points are tallied 10 down to 1.
  • The ballot will close on January 31st, 2022 at 11:59pm CST.

Please let me know if you see any irregularities.

Ok, the time has finally arrived. We have reached the voting stage! Rules are already in the ballot, but just so you can get a heads up.

• There are three pages to this ballot. One for the genre categories, one for the other categories, and one for the Game of the Year race.
  • You can vote for up to three categories in each category, but only one vote is required for each category. Points are tallied 3, 2, 1.
  • Game of the year will be set up to where you can vote for up to 10 games, but only 3 votes are required for that category. Points are tallied 10 down to 1.

Only a minor point, but the form asks for a top three ranking for only two options for most impactful thread.

I suspect that abuse is unlikely, but will you be doing some sort of email address validation to check votes to the submitted username/prevent duplicate votes?

Yes this is a double post since the last one was on the bottom of the page.

Being required to vote for each category is a bit odd. I am required to vote in categories where I haven't played any of the nominated games.

Only a minor point, but the form asks for a top three ranking for only two options for most impactful thread.

I suspect that abuse is unlikely, but will you be doing some sort of email address validation to check votes to the submitted username/prevent duplicate votes?
Thank you for catching that. I updated the ballot.

As for checking the votes, I am mainly going to just go by Fami user names. If I see anything irregular I may start to look at email addresses, but I don't think it will come to that point.

Being required to vote for each category is a bit odd. I am required to vote in categories where I haven't played any of the nominated games.

We wanted to make sure that every category received attention so that is why we required one vote per category.

If more people feel that isn't necessary for some categories, we can make some quick adjustments. Always open for feedback.

As for checking the votes, I am mainly going to just go by Fami user names. If I see anything irregular I may start to look at email addresses, but I don't think it will come to that point.

We wanted to make sure that every category received attention so that is why we required one vote per category.

If more people feel that isn't necessary for some categories, we can make some quick adjustments. Always open for feedback.
Not really a huge issue, I just feel it might skew the results a bit if there are many others like me who have multiple genre categories where they didn't play any of the nominated games.

Shouldn't affect the ultimate winner in each category I assume.

Somewhat similarly, it feels a bit odd that voting for the "top 10" here bears very little resemblance to my personal top 10 for the year, as only a small number of my personal choices were nominated. That's a consequence of the nomination approach, though, not of the form.

Yeah, that's fair enough; as I said, I suspect that abuse is unlikely.

Probably not something for now, but for this sort of thing going forward it might be nice to highlight the nomination rationale submitted for each nominee at some point in the process.

Hey @Josh5890, my fault for not double checking it was added as this went, but in post 89 I nominated Lunistice for best indie game and it’s not on the ballot. Any chance it can be added still? I’ll hold off on voting for now.

also felt this — I hope my answers don’t skew things in the categories where I hadn’t actually played any games!

my votes are in, though!

some day, if I keep following my dreams, I’ll be able to nominate my own game for one of these categories!

(if it’s good I mean)

1674839526602.png

I’ll echo the sentiments of required voting in certain categories. I’m voting for stuff that looks cool, not stuff that I actually played, which is kinda odd.

Everybody ought to vote for Switch Sports Soccer as Famiboard's Best Sports/Party Game of 2022!

It is the best soccer game to come out on Switch this year, the best soccer game on a Nintendo system since Pro Evolution Soccer on Wii, and the best representation of its sport in video game form maybe ever.

The reason for this is how the slow, stamina-heavy movement of the players compared to the size of the pitch puts an emphasis on positional skills. It's like a RTS where each of the 8 units is controlled by a different, real human being.

Taking the ball down the sides and centering it in front of goal is a tried and tested strategy in real soccer as well as in Rocket. Where Switch Sports Soccer seperates itself from being a less fast-paced, lower skill Rocket League is in how it captures other core concepts of soccer. Crossing the ball works. So does kick and rush. The best offense consists of stretching the play and ping-ponging the ball around between a deep-lying playmaker, two wingers and a striker. On the defensive side, man marking and cutting off passing lanes are core defensive concepts in soccer and apply just as well here:

Fanning out during goal kicks is a tactic taught in real soccer. This is done by the centre-backs taking up wide positions, thereby forcing forwards looking to press them to either open up the middle for throughballs or let them have the ball and play out from the back unhurried. In Switch Sports Soccer this is a good approach because trying to hoof the ball down the congested middle is recipe for disaster. Much safer to employ the whole width of the pitch.

Here I take the ball right to drag the defenders over, and the second they continue running but the forwards they're supposed to be guarding don't, I send the ball to the left, where the two players who previously failed to connect are now free to combine. Not because of any impressive dribbling or feats of skill, but simply and solely due to smart movement on behalf of the attacking team:

The above demonstrates what I love most about Switch Sports Soccer is you can watch plays and analyze them the same way television pundits would break down goals in coverage of real games. Keep an eye on the mini map on the bottom left. You'll be able to pin-point the moment everything went wrong for the other team. They've got us tied down in our half. Perfectly under control. Until that one crucial mistake. Olivier loses sight of the ball and his man. It's the break - and the breakway we needed - and the goalkeeper is caught in no man's land where he's not close enough to challenge for the ball and not far enough away to avoid getting chipped over.

This is one of my favorite clips. When I play the first pass down the sideline, that's my clearest option. But by the time the ball comes back to me, Mr. Funky has moved in on I'm cursed, which means Ellie is suddenly unmarked with acres of space ahead of her because Anto is primarily looking at Bags. Everyone else it out of position to intervene, including Shana, but she has to come out anyway and I'm cursed is clear through on the goal after he recognized the opportunity early and stepped away from his closest defender who stuffed the first attempt to get the ball to him.

And finally - fans of Spain and Germany will understand - what playing with a False 9 feels like:

Flawlessly reproduced. That is the very essence of soccer destilled into video game form. The Beatiful Game. And your Beautiful Sports/Party Game of 2023.

Voted !
Looks some layout issues on the 2nd page, but was able to find out what it was for anyway.

Thanks for the heads up. I made a quick update on mobile this morning and apparently it moved other stuff around.

For anyone interested, here are some fun stats:

Most nominations:
Pokemon Scarlet/Violet- 9
Xenoblade Chronicles 3- 8
Kirby and the Forgotten- 7
Horizon: Forbidden West- 5
Bayonetta 3- 3
Elden Ring- 3
God of War: Ragnarok- 3
Live A Live- 3
Tunic- 3
Crystal Project- 2
High on Life- 2
Marvel Snap- 2
Nintendo Switch Sports- 2
Pokemon Legends- 2
River City Girls 2- 2
SIGNALIS- 2
Sonic Frontiers- 2
Splatoon 3- 2
Stray- 2
The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero- 3
Triangle Strategy- 2
Vampire Survivors- 2

61 different games/events/threads were nominated!

For anyone interested, here are some fun stats:

Most nominations:
Pokemon Scarlet/Violet- 9
Xenoblade Chronicles 3- 8
Kirby and the Forgotten- 7
Horizon: Forbidden West- 5
Bayonetta 3- 3
Elden Ring- 3
God of War: Ragnarok- 3
Live A Live- 3
Tunic- 3
Crystal Project- 2
High on Life- 2
Marvel Snap- 2
Nintendo Switch Sports- 2
Pokemon Legends- 2
River City Girls 2- 2
SIGNALIS- 2
Sonic Frontiers- 2
Splatoon 3- 2
Stray- 2
The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero- 3
Triangle Strategy- 2
Vampire Survivors- 2

61 different games/events/threads were nominated!
I was intrigued how the most nominated managed to get quite so many, so looking over the list I see that it's from multiple nominations in certain categories - but I made the totals one lower for each of the top three?

Agreed that it's a bad call making every category compulsory. Usually that kinda thing makes me just not vote lol

Is it too late to change?

I voted, but God I think the past year has been one of the worst in gaming in quite awhile.

It wasn't a bad year imo, but this one is starting strong with FEngage and tons of other amazing games will lead up to Zelda and who knows which other surprises we'll be able to see after.

So after some further discussion, we have decided to weigh first place for each category heavier, not including Game of the Year. This was done to help ensure that people's number 1 choice has a better representation in the results since many have already admitted to having to vote for a game that they haven't played. The new scoring system will be.

First choice- 5 points
Second choice- 2 points
Third choice- 1 point

So after some further discussion, we have decided to weigh first place for each category heavier, not including Game of the Year. This was done to help ensure that people's number 1 choice has a better representation in the results since many have already admitted to having to vote for a game that they haven't played. The new scoring system will be.

First choice- 5 points
Second choice- 2 points
Third choice- 1 point
Wouldn’t that make it worse though? Even if people knew they were voting in a category they hadn’t played wouldn’t most still select choice 1 as the first option? Unless you saw people selecting choice 3 a lot for required votes.

If it isn’t too much work, could you just add a “skip” selection to each category. Or have too many votes come in?

First choice- 5 points
Second choice- 2 points
Third choice- 1 point
I don’t think this will help much, because I’m assuming most people have categories where they haven’t played anything. Considering that the requirement is just one game, that’s only going to weight those random votes even heavier.

I personally don’t really see why we can’t make each category optional. I don’t think the extra engagement is worth potentially screwing up the winners with blind votes.

First choice- 5 points
Second choice- 2 points
Third choice- 1 point
Yeah I think unfortunately this is solving a different problem, not the one you have. And actually it likely makes your existing problem worse! As it stands, if I really liked two of the RPG noms, my second one only gets two points; meanwhile, my friend who doesn't care about RPGs at all, but had to vote, assigns 5 points to a randomly chosen game

Hi again.

First I want to apologize for all of the flip flopping. It seems like our solution was not as good as we originally thought given all of your feedback. Originally we wanted to ensure that every category received a fair amount of attention, hence why we put the requirement for every category to get at least one vote. In hindsight, this isn't fair as many of us (myself included) haven't played every genre this year. We don't want a case where game 123 wins because people go "Oh, I know that franchise" or other reasons. This should be simply put a fun thing for all of us.

All that said, we are reversing the point revision and will go back to 3,2,1 for all of the categories. Also, everything outside of the GOTY voting is now optional. Anyone can go back to change their ballot if they wish, or they can leave it as is.

I don't know if myself, Irene, or anyone else on the staff will be involved with next year's GOTY voting, but I can say that it has been a lot of fun planning and going through with this. We definitely appreciate all of your feedback throughout the month. I just hope whomever takes up the mantle next time will take some lessons from this event.

The big lesson I took way from this year's GOTY is not to not pay attention for the first phase since surely someone will nominate the Splatoon game for all the categories it deserves to win, right?

Not fresh, Fami. Not fresh!

Hi again.

First I want to apologize for all of the flip flopping. It seems like our solution was not as good as we originally thought given all of your feedback. Originally we wanted to ensure that every category received a fair amount of attention, hence why we put the requirement for every category to get at least one vote. In hindsight, this isn't fair as many of us (myself included) haven't played every genre this year. We don't want a case where game 123 wins because people go "Oh, I know that franchise" or other reasons. This should be simply put a fun thing for all of us.

All that said, we are reversing the point revision and will go back to 3,2,1 for all of the categories. Also, everything outside of the GOTY voting is now optional. Anyone can go back to change their ballot if they wish, or they can leave it as is.

I don't know if myself, Irene, or anyone else on the staff will be involved with next year's GOTY voting, but I can say that it has been a lot of fun planning and going through with this. We definitely appreciate all of your feedback throughout the month. I just hope whomever takes up the mantle next time will take some lessons from this event.
Thanks for implementing the feedback! This has been a great event so far and I’m really looking forward to seeing the conclusion :)

A little over 24 hours to go. In case you needed any more excitement, first and second place on GOTY voting is separated by less than 20 points. Should be an interesting race to the finish!

The big lesson I took way from this year's GOTY is not to not pay attention for the first phase since surely someone will nominate the Splatoon game for all the categories it deserves to win, right?

Not fresh, Fami. Not fresh!

Yea, we were talking about that behind the scenes. Splatoon did not get nominated for so many categories that we thought were no brainers. Kind of crazy.

Yeah, real sorry about the decision of having to vote in all categories and everything. As Josh said, we've gone back to our original plan regarding the point distribution. Hope y'all look forward to the winners anyway!

Massive props to @Josh5890 and @Irene for organizing this, thanks so much! I also really appreciate your willingness to listen to the community and make adjustments based on the feedback you received.

Can't wait to see Xenoblade 3 sweep every category lol

just saw the update, better go change my ballot before it’s too late!

Winners
lVOlTaW.jpg

nBDtZwU.jpg

lbzRF1q.jpg

8umjgqI.jpg

GF0XO9t.jpg

2fpWkpt.jpg

Efj2U2s.jpg

2Vnl3Dh.jpg

F8aOLcL.jpg

rBaonz7.jpg

qSp1eY0.jpg

yrOYdm6.jpg

dYF6rRp.jpg

euI9ZvR.jpg

FitNX5j.jpg

Su1nyr1.jpg

So, there they are! The winners.

On behalf of all of staff who worked on this, a tremendous thank you to everyone that participated, nominated, voted or just stood by to appreciate the event. We are very grateful and humbled by the response and enthusiasm, and hope you've been enjoying this look back on 2022.

Triangle Strategy first and Marvel Snap last. My work here is done.

I am now honored to accept the award on behalf of Switch Sports Soccer. Thank you! Thank you!

Thanks a lot to you for the work, it was a very fun month!

Also nice to see Xenoblade 3 pulling a "Titanic at the Oscars". What an incredible game

Massive props to @Josh5890 and @Irene for organizing this, thanks so much! I also really appreciate your willingness to listen to the community and make adjustments based on the feedback you received.

Can't wait to see Xenoblade 3 sweep every category lol

So close. Xenoblade took every category it was in except for cutest character.

Back
Top Bottom