• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sports MissingNo.'s Football Blog, featuring occasional guest posts – Fútbol is Life

By the by, with the World Cup drawing closer at a rapid pace, we should really settle on the ST for it. From what I recall, we decided to give it an ST, while making sure to point out all the inadequacies about the hosting country in the OP.

What I remember for sure is having said that I would be willing to step in, but only if the workload would be spread across more shoulders than my own. That still remains true.

Long story short, who would be willing to contribute to the World Cup ST? Every little bit helps!
Forgot to add this, but obviously: if someone else wants to do it themselves, that is also fine by me!

If nobody shows interest in working on it, be it with or without my involvement, before the end of the week, we will probably not have an ST for it. Doubt I will be able to put something half-decent together in barely a week all by myself. In that case, I would try to make sure that this thread can be used for WC discussion instead.

Mark Flekken was left out of the Oranje squad.
Dude was a potential number 1

Edit : Botman is also missing 😳
Eeeehhhh

He’s not bad, but when he was in the starting eleven he never really convinced me. Our goalies aren’t that great (as a Feyenoord supporter I’m hopeful for Bijlow, but he wasn’t that great for the last few months, but he’s regaining his old form), with Pasveer and Noppert being pretty average as well.

Cillessen destroyed his own chances with being a huge dick for the last couple of months

Sosa being injured will only make things harder for Stuttgart this afternoon. Hope we can at least eke out a draw somehow to not make out relegation worries worse than they already are.

Fully expecting Sosa to get traded over the winter, especially if he manages to play in the World Cup. Will be difficult to replace him.

Well, the Stuttgart match went exactly as expected. Quelle surprise. Will be a long and interesting winter break, with Mislintat's future at the club still hanging by a thread, and the head coach position to be filled.

Boy, am I looking forward to the inevitably ensuing chaos…

Eeeehhhh

He’s not bad, but when he was in the starting eleven he never really convinced me. Our goalies aren’t that great (as a Feyenoord supporter I’m hopeful for Bijlow, but he wasn’t that great for the last few months, but he’s regaining his old form), with Pasveer and Noppert being pretty average as well.

Cillessen destroyed his own chances with being a huge dick for the last couple of months
That's puzzling though. That guy lead his team to spot #2 in the league table before the WC break and they owe him a lot for that. Freiburg is to the Bundesliga what NEC is to the Eredivisie, so it must mean something... I guess.
Well, the Stuttgart match went exactly as expected. Quelle surprise. Will be a long and interesting winter break, with Mislintat's future at the club still hanging by a thread, and the head coach position to be filled.

Boy, am I looking forward to the inevitably ensuing chaos…
I wonder what happened to Silas. I wish he and Guirassy would be associated in the front.

That's puzzling though. That guy lead his team to spot #2 in the league table before the WC break and they owe him a lot for that. Freiburg is to the Bundesliga what NEC is to the Eredivisie, so it must mean something... I guess.

I wonder what happened to Silas. I wish he and Guirassy would be associated in the front.
Silas is probably injured again. The lad has been incapacitated for longer than he wasn't.

@PokéNeutral and also the staff at large, do you think it would be fine to have the OP of the World Cup ST only address the human rights issues, post that first to allow for discussion on the topic to get started, and then reserve the first post for fixtures to be added at a later date?

I think this is the best I can do, and going about it that way highlights the issues we wanted the thread to address the most.

I know I said I wouldn't do the thread myself, but I feel like the human rights issues can not be addressed properly if we don't have a dedicated WC thread.

Last edited:
@PokéNeutral and also the staff at large, do you think it would be fine to have the OP of the World Cup ST only address the human rights issues, post that first to allow for discussion on the topic to get started, and then reserve the first post for fixtures to be added at a later date?

I think this is the best I can do, and going about it that way highlights the issues we wanted the thread to address the most.

I know I said I wouldn't do the thread myself, but I feel like the human rights issues can not be addressed properly if we don't have a dedicated WC thread.

I like the idea but I'm going to check in with the rest of staff and then I'll get back to you.

Good job on your FPL team this weekend, btw! You're going into the WC break with a great momentum!

I like the idea but I'm going to check in with the rest of staff and then I'll get back to you.

Good job on your FPL team this weekend, btw! You're going into the WC break with a great momentum!
Please do!

Had it not been for Ødegaard saving my butt, this would have been a pretty lousy weekend for my FPL team. Should have benched Ederson for Henderson and Zaha for Firmino for some extra points, but oh well. Coming for your throne single digits at a time. Will be tough given I only started in GW5.

Please do!

Had it not been for Ødegaard saving my butt, this would have been a pretty lousy weekend for my FPL team. Should have benched Ederson for Henderson and Zaha for Firmino for some extra points, but oh well. Coming for your throne single digits at a time. Will be tough given I only started in GW5.

I mean... I won my friends' league round this week simply by virtue of having decided to give Almirón the captain's band ahead of Haaland. It very often comes down to just a single decision and Ødegaard was yours! Well played.

For next season we'll start the league before GW1 so everyone will be on even footing. Hopefully everyone who's on board now joins and some more Fami feel perspired inspired to join!

World Cup thread is up, see you over there!

Hey, thanks to you, @PokéNeutral, and the staff of the site for the thread. It looks fantastic and is as comprehensive as it can be about the Human Rights issues around Qatar 2022. I'm sure it's taken a ton of effort and it can't have been easy to create a thread that covers both the games themselves and the ugliness surrounding the World Cup -this year being perhaps the worst since... Argentina 78?

I'll be sitting this World Cup out so I won't be participating in the thread. I know individual boycotting isn't really going to do anything, and the wheel of money keeps spinning, and Russia 2018 and Brazil 2014 were also terrible but I think this year does it for me. Looking forward to seeing you all again in this thread once we get back to the regular corruption of club football and not the over-the-top corruption of national football.

Oh, also since I'm at it, Spanish YouTube channel La Media Inglesa, which traditionally covers the Premier League, will be putting out a serialised documentary about the World Cup and the decisions that led to Qatar 2022, and donating any benefits to charity. First episode is available here, and has English subs!

Russia 2018 and Brazil 2014 were also terrible but I think this year does it for me.
Yep. Can't say I am excited for this WC, but at least we now have a dedicated place for those who want to discuss it.

Won't be able to watch a lot of matches anyway, and I definitely am not gonna go out of my way to watch those I could in theory.

Also, thanks for the kind words!

What I do not have confidence in is the patience of higher-ups. Regardless of circumstances, VfB had an absolutely terrible calendar year 2022 so far, and at some point their patience will grow thin. The mid to long term success of the project is riding on Mislintat's willingness to extend his contract, and apparently Wehrle has blindsided him with hiring Lahm, Khedira and Gentner as advisers. With the way things have been going this season so far, I think this week's match against Bochum will be the one deciding over Matarazzo's future, even though I may not like it.

The way I know my club, it will all crumble apart within the next couple of months and chaos will reign once again after a refreshing couple of years of relative calm.
Remember this, @Kenka? This was barely two months ago, ahead of Matarazzo's sacking. In the meantime, not only have they sacked Matarazzo, but now Mislintat is gone as well. So just as I predicted, chaos reigns once more in Mercedesstraße.

I never before hated being right this much, smh.

Remember this, @Kenka? This was barely two months ago, ahead of Matarazzo's sacking. In the meantime, not only have they sacked Matarazzo, but now Mislintat is gone as well. So just as I predicted, chaos reigns once more in Mercedesstraße.

I never before hated being right this much, smh.
Yeah, I won't lie, I thought of you when I heard the first rumors of Mislintat being sacked.

I have no idea what is going on in Stuttgart. What is the strategy, what are the goals and what are the KPIs the staff is being judged on. I feel like none of that is present.

Yeah, I won't lie, I thought of you when I heard the first rumors of Mislintat being sacked.

I have no idea what is going on in Stuttgart. What is the strategy, what are the goals and what are the KPIs the staff is being judged on. I feel like none of that is present.
As much as it pains me to say this, I feel like that has to be the case.

rib4456-2.jpg

Palmeiras sold the young Endrick to Real Madrid for 71 million euros (around 75 million dollars).
The boy is 16yo and will only be able to play in Spain in 2024 (it will stay in Brazil playing for Palmeiras until mid 2024 when he completes 18).

It's impossible to compete with Europeans having a so undervalued currency. That's over 400 million reais, almost half of the team's budget for the next year (second biggest budget in Brazilian football, only behind Flamengo).

Anyway, good luck to him, Brazilian National Team needs better players for the next world cup.

So glad football is back after this heinous world cup. Arsenal is looking solid evin without Jesus. Let's hope Barça can keep up the pace without Lewandowski

Oh shit, I forgot about PL this week. RIP my FPL endeavours.

Massive win last night against Atleti in a game in which we played terribly and didn't really deserve the win. Still, 3 points from Real Madrid (and without Lewandowski).

Kolo Muani is extraordinary. He is intelligent, has pacing, has an eye for the players running in the opponent's field and can conclude in any position. To me, he is like a unlikely but awesome mix between Scholes and van Nistelrooy. Any top team in the world should try to sign him.

5 points ahead of Real Madrid. We're not playing great, Ter Stegen is our (unlikely) saviour and we're going to be without Dembélé for five weeks but we are still holding on to the lead. Let's hope Ferran and Raphinha can step up and that Lewandowski returns in a good form.

5 points ahead of Real Madrid. We're not playing great, Ter Stegen is our (unlikely) saviour and we're going to be without Dembélé for five weeks but we are still holding on to the lead. Let's hope Ferran and Raphinha can step up and that Lewandowski returns in a good form.
Yeah, what in the world happened to Lewa? He was panzering through the defences earlier in the season. Did someone laugh at him in the dressing room because of his habit of eating dessert before the actual meal? Or did someone make fun of his Spanish?

Yeah, what in the world happened to Lewa? He was panzering through the defences earlier in the season. Did someone laugh at him in the dressing room because of his habit of eating dessert before the actual meal? Or did someone make fun of his Spanish?

He got sanctioned for (allegedly) insulting the referee. 3 games after getting sent off against Osasuna. He's played fine in the Cup and scored against Madrid in the Supercup, but we do need him to come back well.

Got my MLS Pass sub in on AppleTV+. Can't wait to watch this league in glorious high definition, possibly even 4K quality!

City about to reach the heavens against Port Vale and Portsmouth LET'S GOOOOOOOOO!!

Nothing against the club but it was so funny when the same happened to Juventus in 2006.

City about to reach the heavens against Port Vale and Portsmouth LET'S GOOOOOOOOO!!

Nothing against the club but it was so funny when the same happened to Juventus in 2006.
Haaland scoring 120 goals int the Championship let's goooo.

Anyway bald fraud pooop fraudiola was incapable of winning the champions league with financial doping. Wonder where he'll go if City gets relegated. I can imagine his next stop will be PSG so he can continue winning Leagues without opposition and then eating sh*t in Europe.

EDIT I forgot to talk about my actual club in my post. I can't believe we're actually favourites to win a title again, four years later and without Messi. It only took us selling most of Bartomeu's players and our future assets to get where we are. So proud.

Haaland scoring 120 goals int the Championship let's goooo.

Anyway bald fraud pooop fraudiola was incapable of winning the champions league with financial doping. Wonder where he'll go if City gets relegated. I can imagine his next stop will be PSG so he can continue winning Leagues without opposition and then eating sh*t in Europe.

EDIT I forgot to talk about my actual club in my post. I can't believe we're actually favourites to win a title again, four years later and without Messi. It only took us selling most of Bartomeu's players and our future assets to get where we are. So proud.
I'm surprised you'd talk about a Barcelona legend like that.

Saw the City thing in the news. Hope they crucify them. Doubt they'll get anything to stick. The show will roll on.

I stopped watching club football over a decade ago because the financial doping made it all seem so rigged and fraudulent. I remember seeing something on 538 about how closely wage bills corresponded to league finishing position and it made me realize how boring this chequebook competition between billionaires is. And moreover, I just can't handle how uncompetitive most leagues in Europe are. And even the Champions League, these days, same semi-finalists year after year. I mean, I hated it when I was young and Utd could just buy whoever they wanted - and that was with legit earned money. When gas/oil money started to be pumped in with Abramovich it was the beginning of the end.

Problem is, for every fan they lose like that they gain another two who turn 8 years old or whatnot and get sucked into the incredible global hype machine that is the Premier League and Champions League.

God, I wish football was run like US sports.

What I'm hoping for is that one day the bubble pops, the system collapses, and in the wreckage they have to come up with some kind of profit sharing salary cap solution. Also, you can make fun of Real, Barca and Juve all you want but there really does need to be a European Super League to firstly compete with the Premier League (which IS a super league) and secondly to free the non-English domestic leagues from the drudgery of the same team winning 70% of the titles.

As long as there's promotion and relegation from that super league I'd be all for it.

Also, end the loan system for fuck's sake. Can't people see that it hurts the lower team? Rich teams can horde all the talent, loan them out, and then when one or two of them come good, they own the asset and get all the benefit or profit. If teams couldn't do this, they have to have smaller squads, and the ownership of young talent would disperse through the leagues.

I'm surprised you'd talk about a Barcelona legend like that.
My relationship with Pep is complicated. He was the best manager we've ever had and the most important figure -outside of Messi- in Barça's 21st century. Better than Rijkaard, better than Luis Enrique, better than all who came before him -and probably better than anyone who will come after him. He was essential in rebuilding a dead squad in 2008 and making us the best team in the world. He's also been gone for 10 years, not once made even the insinuation that he wanted to return (and we've changed management to have the guy who signed him back in the Presidency). We've gone from the best club in the world to a joke in Europe, and -until this year with Xavi- a joke domestically, losing the league to Atlético in 2021 and disappearing from the title race after Messi left last year.

There have been many times in which the club needed a figure like him in the last years. When Neymar left for PSG and Luis Enrique resigned. When we lost 8-2 to Bayern. When we couldn't renew Messi's contract and had to watch him sign on for PSG (and bring, um, Memphis Depay for free to replace him). A world class manager who knows the club, who could help players like Pedri, Araujo or Ansu (pre injury, at least) grow, and help phase out the captains and bring new blood to the team. He was much more comfortable buying Grealishes and spending 200m€ in centrebacks. Zidane -to name another football legend- went on to save Real Madrid twice in the past 3 years.

It's fine that he chose City over Barça when City had infinite money and we were a mess of a club, but that brings him down a bit in my book. Even if I did cheer him on for his Bayern run, I can't say I felt bad when he got beat by Chelsea in the UCL final or humiliated by Madrid's 5 good minutes in last year's semifinals. He has enjoyed the benefits of managing an oil-run club for six or seven years, and even with financial doping he couldn't win the UCL. Enjoy your Premier League titles, Pep. Well deserved.

Saw the City thing in the news. Hope they crucify them. Doubt they'll get anything to stick. The show will roll on.

I stopped watching club football over a decade ago because the financial doping made it all seem so rigged and fraudulent. I remember seeing something on 538 about how closely wage bills corresponded to league finishing position and it made me realize how boring this chequebook competition between billionaires is. And moreover, I just can't handle how uncompetitive most leagues in Europe are. And even the Champions League, these days, same semi-finalists year after year. I mean, I hated it when I was young and Utd could just buy whoever they wanted - and that was with legit earned money. When gas/oil money started to be pumped in with Abramovich it was the beginning of the end.

Problem is, for every fan they lose like that they gain another two who turn 8 years old or whatnot and get sucked into the incredible global hype machine that is the Premier League and Champions League.

God, I wish football was run like US sports.

What I'm hoping for is that one day the bubble pops, the system collapses, and in the wreckage they have to come up with some kind of profit sharing salary cap solution. Also, you can make fun of Real, Barca and Juve all you want but there really does need to be a European Super League to firstly compete with the Premier League (which IS a super league) and secondly to free the non-English domestic leagues from the drudgery of the same team winning 70% of the titles.

As long as there's promotion and relegation from that super league I'd be all for it.

Also, end the loan system for fuck's sake. Can't people see that it hurts the lower team? Rich teams can horde all the talent, loan them out, and then when one or two of them come good, they own the asset and get all the benefit or profit. If teams couldn't do this, they have to have smaller squads, and the ownership of young talent would disperse through the leagues.
Honestly, can't say I agree fully. The Superleague will end up killing smaller clubs, because there is no way in which a league run by the clubs is going to let anyone join. The money that the Superleague would rake in would effectively have to make it a closed league, or else clubs will end up broke if they get relegated. Talent will end up leaving national leagues for the Superleague, in the same way in which even Brighton or Aston Villa can outbuy historic Spanish clubs like Betis or Atletico who are in a position to play Champions League football, or "steal" players from Serie A winners Milan.

So basically, the Superleague will be the same as the premier league with a different big-6. Which is OK if we want a league to compete with the British NBA, but not sure if this is the solution for football.

Manchester United is a much better team -and has a far better manager- than us and we managed to somehow draw against them. They'll destroy us in Old Trafford without Gavi and Pedri.

The J League streaming a bunch of games weekly in English for free on YouTube is fantastic stuff. I just bookmark the "upcoming stream" video and then in the morning give the full match a watch.

Back
Top Bottom