• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sports MissingNo.'s Football Blog, featuring occasional guest posts – Fútbol is Life

Incredibly painful loss to Portugal yesterday in the women’s WC play-offs. Coming back to 1-1 after losing a player to a ridiculous red card, only to then concede three goals in overtime.

Stéphanie Frappart has showed many times over that she is a good referee but I don’t know what was up with her decision-making last night. 3 VAR checks, having to overturn a given goal and a penalty decision and then keeping to the penalty and red card decision after watching the replay. Plus all the other stuff over the course of the match. This was the worst refereeing I’ve seen since Andre Marriner sent Kieran Gibbs off for a foul by Oxlade-Chamberlain a few years back.

Incredibly painful loss to Portugal yesterday in the women’s WC play-offs. Coming back to 1-1 after losing a player to a ridiculous red card, only to then concede three goals in overtime.

Stéphanie Frappart has showed many times over that she is a good referee but I don’t know what was up with her decision-making last night. 3 VAR checks, having to overturn a given goal and a penalty decision and then keeping to the penalty and red card decision after watching the replay. Plus all the other stuff over the course of the match. This was the worst refereeing I’ve seen since Andre Marriner sent Kieran Gibbs off for a foul by Oxlade-Chamberlain a few years back.
We did only slightly better. We could have scored 6 or 7 yesterday against Wales and we avoided the penalty session by scoring the winner in the 122'. My heart.

Last edited:
Spain and England are bound to shred the rest of the leagues this year again on the European stage. Italy, France and Germany especially are being below par.

That Bodø/Glimt victory yesterday did not feel deserved. Hope Arsenal turn up in better form against Leeds this weekend.

That Günter fail in a two against one situation against Bayern was shocking to watch. Horrible.

We were super lucky against Leeds yesterday. Did not deserve those three points, although I'll ofc take them.

Super happy that Liverpool managed to stop City. Invincible record secure for at least another season. But

My local team won 3-0 in one of the last matches of the season yesterday. Unfortunately we are out for Europe so it wasn't a super exciting affair.

This week in FPL is hard. 6 players on my team that don't have a match up and no doubles to compensate. :/

Just noticed that nowadays pretty much all I do in here is voicing my grievances with VfB, so to be fair I should also share my relief at their first win this season last Saturday.

Not gonna lie it was hard to hold back the tears. Well-deserved

We were super lucky against Leeds yesterday. Did not deserve those three points, although I'll ofc take them.

Super happy that Liverpool managed to stop City. Invincible record secure for at least another season. But

My local team won 3-0 in one of the last matches of the season yesterday. Unfortunately we are out for Europe so it wasn't a super exciting affair.

This week in FPL is hard. 6 players on my team that don't have a match up and no doubles to compensate. :/
You women's team is arguably even more impressive than your boys' team. AFC have come full force in 2022.

Dina Embimbe was ice-skating next to the field, lol.

Edit : holy hell, that guy is good in the air. Francfort are a threat this season.

Last edited:
Arsenal failing to win against Southampton will never surprise me but will always disappoint me.

Having seen the villa score I get the feeling those players must have hated playing for Gerrard.

Look, you have to enjoy making fun of Forest right now because next year Scarpa will play for them, and then corner and free kicks will be almost goals.

Arsenal failing to win against Southampton will never surprise me but will always disappoint me.

Having seen the villa score I get the feeling those players must have hated playing for Gerrard.

This was especially painful yesterday because we don't have anyone to blame but ourselves. Should've closed that game long before that equaliser.

JFC. I really wish some of the big nations would've gone through with boycotting the tournament. This is vile.

Edit: HRW sourced directly.

I know I might be biased, but this is one of the best choreographies I have seen.

Nelson with two goals and an assist off the bench was very fun to see. Don't know if I want to see him start against Chelsea even if Saka is fit - but it's definitely good if more players on the bench can give Arteta a selection headache.

@Guaraná É HENDECACAMPEÃO SEM NEM PRECISAR ENTRAR EM CAMPO!!!!!!!!!!!

this is the best Palmeiras I've seen since the 1994-1996 team

FglokbvWIAAJ_42.jpg

this is the best Palmeiras I've seen since the 1994-1996 team

FglokbvWIAAJ_42.jpg
Wow, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Rivaldo, Mazinho et Zinho still are miles ahead of any talent Palmeiras has produced lately.

On the flipside, I never liked Edmundo the cuntish crybaby. He and Bebeto were insufferable.

endrick.png

it pisses me off that Real Madrid is already planning on getting Endrick from Palmeiras the same way they did with Vini Jr from Flamengo (before he's even 18)

This is the problem when you have such a devaluated currency... Palmeiras set his price at 300 million reais, which is less than... 60 million euros, nothing for a 16yo player set to be one of the greatest Brazilian players for the next 10 to 15 years. But you just can't compete with giant Europeans.

I hope Palmeiras could do a deal to keep him at least until 20 years, but yeah this is gonna be really hard, this boy is really in his own category.

endrick.png

it pisses me off that Real Madrid is already planning on getting Endrick from Palmeiras the same way they did with Vini Jr from Flamengo (before he's even 18)

This is the problem when you have such a devaluated currency... Palmeiras set his price at 300 million reais, which is less than... 60 million euros, nothing for a 16yo player set to be one of the greatest Brazilian players for the next 10 to 15 years. But you just can't compete with giant Europeans.
60m€ for a 16-year-old kid is an immense amount of money, though. And it's a gamble, too. There are scores of wonderkids who end up not amounting to much, and the pressure at European clubs -and especially at Real Madrid level- can make even the best of them crack. He might even turn out like my avatar (sigh). I do hope Madrid doesn't sign him, though. One Vinícius is bad enough for the rest of us.

I was at Camp Nou last Saturday when Piqué played his last game. He was great, Barça won against probably the worst team I've seen at the Camp Nou in years, and the homage was pretty emotional -his cold hug with Xavi nonwithstanding- so overall not the worst way in which a player can leave Barcelona, especially considering how Messi left just one year before. I do think his last couple of years were more miss than hit, and that he should have kept his promise of stepping aside after the 8-2 against Bayern... but it's all in the past, I guess. He has been one of the greatest CBs of the past decade, and perhaps the greatest of our recent history.

The performance against Chelsea yesterday was pretty good. I didn't expect us to be hanging onto the lead this far into the season tbh. Too bad City seem to always manage to clinch their matches as well.

Ayyy, managed to top the FPL famileaderboards for the week for once.

Great round for you! That Gabriel - Trippier - Zaha triple salvo is massive.

Barça-Man United has gone from a UCL Final to a... well, to a qualifier for the Europa League round of 16.

Napoli keep keeping on in Italy.

I really hope they don't choke though I don't trust Spalletti in the second half of the season.

Napoli keep keeping on in Italy.

I really hope they don't choke though I don't trust Spalletti in the second half of the season.
They have a fantastic squad. Great signings this Summer, and a ton of personality being able to overcome losing key players such as Fabian and Koulibaly. Well deserved run so far.

I haven't spoken (written) much about Barça this season, mainly because there wasn't much to say. A team that spent 200 million euros in the summer has been disappointment after disappointment and continued to be the laughingstock of European football with a Champions League run that has ended in just six games. Last night's game was something to talk about, however.

After the horrendous month we had in October - getting kicked out of the UCL by Inter Milan, and losing against a Real Madrid side that didn't even seem to try that hard- things were grim. We managed to not drop points against Valencia (in a game in which we were terrible but held on with a last-minute goal by Lewy) but Real Madrid was still looking untouchable. Then, as November began and Benzema decided that he would only play for France, Madrid started dropping points against minor teams (Rayo and Girona), suddenly putting Barça in a position in which we could secure an (at least) 2-point lead before the World Cup break, leading the table for the first time since like April 2021.

The game against Osasuna -who have had a fantastic start to the season, winning 8 games, drawing against Real Madrid away, and being 2 points away from Champions League Football- and especially at El Sadar (where they've won all but 2 games) seemed like the place to see whether Barcelona has emotionally recovered from another Champions League disappointment and is able to shake off its bad results by clinging to the League.

So naturally, by minute 5 we were already losing, and by minute 30 Lewandowski was sent off. Busquets was a trainwreck, which made the team unable to keep the ball and attack coherently, while all Osasuna had to do was defend itself coherently and wait patiently for our mistakes. By half-time, we were (again) a defeated team.

The second half that Barcelona played was incredibly smart with one man down, with Pedri and De Jong helping the team control the game (and De Jong building brilliantly as a CB after Gavi came on) and Ferran Torres being an intelligent striker that forced Osasuna's mistake to help Pedri draw the game. Right when it looked like both teams were content with a draw, a 30-metre assist from De Jong and a great finish by Raphinha made it 1-2.

Xavi's Barça has been a ride so far, with great games (4-0 against Madrid, 2-4 against Napoli) and horrendous losses (points to everything else) but games like this one are a godsend to a team that is still under construction and doesn't know what it will end up being. I hadn't seen a reaction like this from Barça since, well, since Messi was around and able to change a game in a minute. Maybe we can go back to being a good team in Europe in a few years. Or maybe Atlético will put us in our place again in January when real football starts again. Either way, at least I'm excited to see it happen.

They have a fantastic squad. Great signings this Summer, and a ton of personality being able to overcome losing key players such as Fabian and Koulibaly. Well deserved run so far.
That will make the clash in the last 16 of the CL between them an Frankfurt one memorable event. Those two teams are a joy to watch. I will root for whoever comes on top.
I haven't spoken (written) much about Barça this season, mainly because there wasn't much to say. A team that spent 200 million euros in the summer has been disappointment after disappointment and continued to be the laughingstock of European football with a Champions League run that has ended in just six games. Last night's game was something to talk about, however.

After the horrendous month we had in October - getting kicked out of the UCL by Inter Milan, and losing against a Real Madrid side that didn't even seem to try that hard- things were grim. We managed to not drop points against Valencia (in a game in which we were terrible but held on with a last-minute goal by Lewy) but Real Madrid was still looking untouchable. Then, as November began and Benzema decided that he would only play for France, Madrid started dropping points against minor teams (Rayo and Girona), suddenly putting Barça in a position in which we could secure an (at least) 2-point lead before the World Cup break, leading the table for the first time since like April 2021.

The game against Osasuna -who have had a fantastic start to the season, winning 8 games, drawing against Real Madrid away, and being 2 points away from Champions League Football- and especially at El Sadar (where they've won all but 2 games) seemed like the place to see whether Barcelona has emotionally recovered from another Champions League disappointment and is able to shake off its bad results by clinging to the League.

So naturally, by minute 5 we were already losing, and by minute 30 Lewandowski was sent off. Busquets was a trainwreck, which made the team unable to keep the ball and attack coherently, while all Osasuna had to do was defend itself coherently and wait patiently for our mistakes. By half-time, we were (again) a defeated team.

The second half that Barcelona played was incredibly smart with one man down, with Pedri and De Jong helping the team control the game (and De Jong building brilliantly as a CB after Gavi came on) and Ferran Torres being an intelligent striker that forced Osasuna's mistake to help Pedri draw the game. Right when it looked like both teams were content with a draw, a 30-metre assist from De Jong and a great finish by Raphinha made it 1-2.

Xavi's Barça has been a ride so far, with great games (4-0 against Madrid, 2-4 against Napoli) and horrendous losses (points to everything else) but games like this one are a godsend to a team that is still under construction and doesn't know what it will end up being. I hadn't seen a reaction like this from Barça since, well, since Messi was around and able to change a game in a minute. Maybe we can go back to being a good team in Europe in a few years. Or maybe Atlético will put us in our place again in January when real football starts again. Either way, at least I'm excited to see it happen.
We have to be patient with Barcelona.
They have just come out of the biggest shock a club of this caliber has gone through since the relegation of Juventus related to Calciopoli in 2006. They have a promising squad - yes- but it just got recently put together and the trainer is also new. That's a difficult starting point.

Things are improving though; the president who put the club in danger has left. Big salaries are also leaving the club. The socios and the direction are not on a feud anymore. Covid restrictions are over. The works on the new stadium are resuming. There are reasons to be optimistic.

Stuttgart managed an important win against Hertha earlier this week, and have a similarly important match against Leverkusen coming up next. And of course they won their last two games, including a 5:0 against Union.

Typically Stuttgart are not in for many points when travelling to Leverkusen (or travelling at all in the year 2022), and I imagine tomorrow won't be any different.

Mark Flekken was left out of the Oranje squad.
Dude was a potential number 1

Edit : Botman is also missing 😳

Last edited:
By the by, with the World Cup drawing closer at a rapid pace, we should really settle on the ST for it. From what I recall, we decided to give it an ST, while making sure to point out all the inadequacies about the hosting country in the OP.

What I remember for sure is having said that I would be willing to step in, but only if the workload would be spread across more shoulders than my own. That still remains true.

Long story short, who would be willing to contribute to the World Cup ST? Every little bit helps!

By the by, with the World Cup drawing closer at a rapid pace, we should really settle on the ST for it. From what I recall, we decided to give it an ST, while making sure to point out all the inadequacies about the hosting country in the OP.

What I remember for sure is having said that I would be willing to step in, but only if the workload would be spread across more shoulders than my own. That still remains true.

Long story short, who would be willing to contribute to the World Cup ST? Every little bit helps!

Unfortunately, I'm in crunch period at work and heading back on paternity leave on Dec 1st and then abroad, so I'll be sporadically active in the upcoming weeks. I'll be happy to follow and post in the ST when I'm online, though.

Back
Top Bottom