• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sports MissingNo.'s Football Blog, featuring occasional guest posts – Fútbol is Life

How should we proceed with this thread going forward?

• Keep this thread open ad infinitum

• New thread for new season

Results are only viewable after voting.
Screwing up the seeding/drawing is something you do not see happening every day for sure, lol.

Or was it and they just put the wrong balls into it at the wrong time?
Yeah, they got confused with who was allowed to play whom (since some of them already played each other in the group stage) and just took out/put in the wrong balls at the wrong time.

Rooting hard for Madrid against PSG. I hate Madrid but i hate Ramos and Messi more buaahahaha unhinged laugh

Bundesliga tonight, and my team is facing Bayern in about half an hour. This will either be close or an outright slaughter. My gut says it will be the latter.

Not going to pretend I follow German football much but I see that was a hattrick from Gnabry of all people.

Rooting hard for Madrid against PSG. I hate Madrid but i hate Ramos and Messi more buaahahaha unhinged laugh
This is unbelievable. There is nothing in this world more deserving of my hatred than Real Madrid.

Having said that, Madrid will probably beat PSG. PSG are a worse team than last year and Real Madrid's combo of Benzema-Vinicius (and a somehow he's good again Marco Asensio) is perhaps the strongest they've been since, well, since Ronaldo left. I've made my peace with it and already bet 100€ to the catorcésima so I can cry all the way to the bank this Summer.

On an even less positive note than seeing Real Madrid win another UCL: It was really sad to see Agüero having to retire today. It's not like he had many years left to play, but a legend like him should've been able to bid his farewell to the sport on his own terms.

This is unbelievable. There is nothing in this world more deserving of my hatred than Real Madrid.

It really puts into perspective how much i hate Messi and Ramos xD LMAO (Especially Ramos, fucking animal)

Can they make up their minds about these over the ball ankle taps? A different ref would have sent Kane off there.

That was a bonkers game. And can you imagine if Spurs hadn't messed around in the summer and got Conte from the off? They look a different team

It was fun to watch that first half against Leeds. Martinelli really coming through for us. I hope he can stay injury free. A bit surprised ESR is starting behind Ødegaard still but the lineup tomorrow might be interesting.

Sevilla-Barça tonight. Great test for Xavi's team, playing against the second-best team in the League. I really think Sevilla is a few steps ahead of us, but hopefully we can compete this one.

2 hrs until kickoff. Always stressed when we have matches which we should comfortably beat. That's when the black magic happens.

Well, didn’t need to, I guess. 😅 Still, after this match I’m even more perplexed by the striker situation we find ourselves in. For most of the season it’s looked like Lacazette and Nketiah were going to leave next month, but now it looks like Aubameyang is on his way out. I don’t rate Balogun as high as many other fans do - I think he’s one for the future but he’s definitely not ready to step up on the regular. It’s a tricky situation. Last month, I was hoping we’d buy a quality replacement for Lacazette and Nketiah. With this much uncertainty, I really hope the club holds onto both Lacazette and Nketiah in the window.

Yesterday I found out my half brother has played Futsal both with and against Patino...and now I feel old.

Anyways, hoping Conte takes the West Ham tonight seriously. When it gets to this stage a trophy is in sniffing distance.

Yesterday I found out my half brother has played Futsal both with and against Patino...and now I feel old.

I know he is technically 18 but we saw him come on last night and my wife turned to me and was like "Who's this 12 year old?"

E: Massive performance for him, though. Hope he has a bright future.

So tensions happening in the PSG dressing room. It reminds me of Barcelona some years ago, could be any constant between the 2 teams?

Me thinks that is Messi doing what he do best (and it's not playing football) I called it when Messi was confirmed to be signed by the PSG. Dude is just a toxic as he comes.

Last edited:
So tensions happening on the PSG dressing room. It reminds me of Barcelona some years ago, could be any constant between the 2 teams?

Me thinks that is Messi doing what he do best (and it's not playing football) I called it when Messi was confirmed to be signed by the PSG. Dude is just a toxic as he comes.
SurprisedPikachu.png

So for any Man City fans and/or Premier League nuts in the thread: How has Ferran been playing in the Premier League? I saw him quite a bit when he was playing for Valencia, and then sort of fell off when he transferred to Man City. I always saw him as a winger/striker with a lot of potential, but I'm curious to see if he's maintained that in England.

United are looking seriously poor. I don't see how they can consider themselves top 4 contenders over teams like Arsenal and Tottenham.

With West Ham and Man U both wobbling it's beginning to look like a straight shoot out between Arsenal and Spurs for that 4th spot. They're both looking much better than their rivals (although still a tier down from the current top 3).

Man U's problems run deeper than their current squad. The people at the top seem to run it in a permanant state of chaos and the players reflect that. They've been able to use their finances to keep themselves competitive but I can't see things staying that way if action isn't taken.

Just want to note that I think a club as heavily indebted as Barça being able to spend as much as they did for Ferran Torres is the epitome of everything that is wrong with modern football.

Can’t see Man City slipping up and letting such a big lead go in the premier league.
Such a boring outcome tbh

Can someone explain to me, in the name of all that is holy, why Mo Salah wasn't on the Ballon D'or list this year? I mean...that goal he just scored...and it's like the third best goal he's scored this year.

Edited my post because he was, but still stings he barely gets a nod when Messi wins for just existing

Last edited:
Messi uses his tax avoidance to bribe people.

If that had gone 3-2 Chelsea then I'd of thought it was Liverpool of recent old

Rovers are out of the FA Cup but so are Newcastle, richest club in the world, finally signing players in the January transfer window and they couldn't beat Cambridge of league 1

Newcastle always go out at this stage, so no surprises there. But boy they have so many problems that it'll take more than a blank cheque to fix them all

Africa really seems to like their championship matches end 1-0, huh.

We played well for like an hour last night but it wasn't enough to beat the best team in Spain. Gavi played the worst game I've seen him play since Xavi's our manager (he's only 17, though), and Ferran had a terrible first game for us. Alba and Busquets were, as usual, the weakest for Barça. Frenkie de Jong continues to be a disappointment. Memphis Depay is a joke.

On the bright side, Pedri and Ansu being back is a blessing. With a bit of time, I think we have a great shot at being in the top4

Dortmund drop out of the DFB cup as well. Things are getting more and more interesting on that front.

Last edited:
Well I had a hard time concentrating on D&D last night when those late Spurs goals were going in. Good gravy, NOW of all times Bergwijn turns up

I am once again asking for Arsenal to get some striker options for the squad with one senior striker in the veritable freezer and the other two underperforming and all of them on their way out,

I am once again asking for Arsenal to get some striker options for the squad with one senior striker in the veritable freezer and the other two underperforming and all of them on their way out,

Speaking of the striker in the freezer... welcome to Barcelona, Auba.

Speaking of the striker in the freezer... welcome to Barcelona, Auba.
What a strange situation, Xavi has being clear in that he doesnt want Aubameyang in the squad (Although he later backtracked)

Dembele is another hilarious situation, WTF is happening.

Small update, of sorts
Hi there, everyone!

I love football. I have ever since I was a boy, going through the youth teams of our tiny rural football club. I have spent countless Saturdays in our clubhouse, watching Bundesliga matches with my team mates after we, most often than not, had gotten our asses handed to ourselves by the local competition. I have been a fan for well over two decades.

Over the years, I have followed the scene with a lot of interest and enthusiasm. But recently, my interest has been waning increasingly. At fist I discarded it as frustration with my favourite club, but I have come to realise it is more than that. Football does not move me anymore the way it used to. I still enjoy discussing it, I still watch the occasional match. But it is no longer a significant part of my life. I lack the energy for such investment. I have simply burnt out.

When I created this thread, I sid so not only to provide this community with an outlet to discuss ball, but also in the hopes that I might be able to rekindle the flame to some extent. However, the opposite has proven to be the case.

I am not saying that I want to close this thread, or that I will no longer participate in it. What I am offering is for someone else to take my mantle. Someone who possesses the enthusiasm I have come to lack, to make this barest of barebones ST live up to its potential. If our little football affine community is content with the status quo of the thread, all of the above is of no consequence.

However, if someone else wants to try and make a better job of managing this ST, making it a more active and vibrant place than I have been able to, be it through regular polls, weekly discussion points, what have you (I do have ideas, but I lack enthusiasm to do it myself), I will gladly step aside.

What a strange situation, Xavi has being clear in that he doesnt want Aubameyang in the squad (Although he later backtracked)

Dembele is another hilarious situation, WTF is happening.
That was years ago though, right? I believe this was when we were debating bringing back Neymar, and in that interview he was also saying SADIO FREAKING MANE wouldn't be a great fit for Barça which, you know, LOL.

I think the situation now is that beggars really can't be choosers and, with Ansu out of the picture -I really need to change my profile pic- and with our other strikers being either Luuk de Jong or teenagers from Barça B (and no real options to play left wing), even a wild card like Auba sort of kind of makes sense. It's a really weird signing, though, the kind that a team like Betis would do in the winter transfer window (like they signed Fekir) and you secretly root for them because it's awesome to see such talent go to a team with less aspirations. I guess we are that team now. At least this season. And nobody roots for us because we suck.

About Dembélé: I don't really get it either. It's clear that we needed him out in order to sign someone to play left back and finally send Jordi Alba to the bench (and perhaps another midfielder) and in order to save the money from his salary. Once that option is gone, and it's pretty clear he wants to stay to get a huge signing bonus for another team in June, I'm not sure what to do. I'd let him train and play and that's it. It's not like Adama Traoré is a better player than he is, and most of the other options seem somehow worse. Let him play if we need him, we're still paying him after all.
Hi there, everyone!

I love football. I have ever since I was a boy, going through the youth teams of our tiny rural football club. I have spent countless Saturdays in our clubhouse, watching Bundesliga matches with my team mates after we, most often than not, had gotten our asses handed to ourselves by the local competition. I have been a fan for well over two decades.

Over the years, I have followed the scene with a lot of interest and enthusiasm. But recently, my interest has been waning increasingly. At fist I discarded it as frustration with my favourite club, but I have come to realise it is more than that. Football does not move me anymore the way it used to. I still enjoy discussing it, I still watch the occasional match. But it is no longer a significant part of my life. I lack the energy for such investment. I have simply burnt out.

When I created this thread, I sid so not only to provide this community with an outlet to discuss ball, but also in the hopes that I might be able to rekindle the flame to some extent. However, the opposite has proven to be the case.

I am not saying that I want to close this thread, or that I will no longer participate in it. What I am offering is for someone else to take my mantle. Someone who possesses the enthusiasm I have come to lack, to make this barest of barebones ST live up to its potential. If our little football affine community is content with the status quo of the thread, all of the above is of no consequence.

However, if someone else wants to try and make a better job of managing this ST, making it a more active and vibrant place than I have been able to, be it through regular polls, weekly discussion points, what have you (I do have ideas, but I lack enthusiasm to do it myself), I will gladly step aside.

FWIW, I like this thread even with the (comparatively) low participation compared to others. If someone wants to step in, that's great but I think this is more about discussing the current state of our favourite (?) teams. I hope you'll keep posting and being around, though. Maybe, who knows, you'll get the tinge back!

Also: cup nights in Spain this week. Happy to see Real Madrid won't get the treble, and watching Betis play these days is always fun. They crushed Real Sociedad last night.

FWIW, I like this thread even with the (comparatively) low participation compared to others. If someone wants to step in, that's great but I think this is more about discussing the current state of our favourite (?) teams. I hope you'll keep posting and being around, though. Maybe, who knows, you'll get the tinge back!
Thank you for your feedback! I am also fine with this thread being a chill hangout spot to occasionally check in and post your thoughts, grievances, and impressions, but as I said, should there be a desire for it to be more, someone else would have to do it in my stead.

Either way, I am not going anywhere.

That was years ago though, right? I believe this was when we were debating bringing back Neymar, and in that interview he was also saying SADIO FREAKING MANE wouldn't be a great fit for Barça which, you know, LOL.

I think the situation now is that beggars really can't be choosers and, with Ansu out of the picture -I really need to change my profile pic- and with our other strikers being either Luuk de Jong or teenagers from Barça B (and no real options to play left wing), even a wild card like Auba sort of kind of makes sense. It's a really weird signing, though, the kind that a team like Betis would do in the winter transfer window (like they signed Fekir) and you secretly root for them because it's awesome to see such talent go to a team with less aspirations. I guess we are that team now. At least this season. And nobody roots for us because we suck.

About Dembélé: I don't really get it either. It's clear that we needed him out in order to sign someone to play left back and finally send Jordi Alba to the bench (and perhaps another midfielder) and in order to save the money from his salary. Once that option is gone, and it's pretty clear he wants to stay to get a huge signing bonus for another team in June, I'm not sure what to do. I'd let him train and play and that's it. It's not like Adama Traoré is a better player than he is, and most of the other options seem somehow worse. Let him play if we need him, we're still paying him after all.
Yeah, Xavi made those comments like 2 years ago. Anyway, let's see how it goes with Aubameyang, I’m basically worried about his motivation, coming from not playing, all the issues with Arteta, extensive pay cut for him to be able to play at Barcelona etc. He has tons of things to prove now at Barca.

I'm pretty upset at Dembele really, i know he is looking for his own wellbeing, but he is coming out as a really shitty individual right now, let's see if he is not shooting himself in the foot and no other big team wants to sign him due to his shitty attitude he is displaying right now. I doubt that he will play, because having him play will make Xavi and Laporta look like idiots. So basically, he has 5 months of no work and free pay.

Even Fati is pulling some bullshit in not wanting to get an operation, against Barcelona's doctors advice. Fucking chaos.

I don't see Barcelona playing top football again for at least 3 years.

Thank you for your feedback! I am also fine with this thread being a chill hangout spot to occasionally check in and post your thoughts, grievances, and impressions, but as I said, should there be a desire for it to be more, someone else would have to do it in my stead.

Either way, I am not going anywhere.

Yeah, i second the suggestion that you keep still in charge and have this as a hangout, it's not your responsibility only to keep the thread alive, but all of us.

Also, remember this year is the WC - You can request the mods to make this thread the OT for that month maybe and increase traffic? Regardless i hope you passion for the sport reignites, i was in your shoes some years ago (Due to the awful and fraudulent Mexican national team), but i stopped caring about that shitty team and just appreciate the sport.

Also, remember this year is the WC - You can request the mods to make this thread the OT for that month maybe and increase traffic?
I had planned on doing that anyway. I don't think making a separate thread would be worth it, based on the traffic we usually have, unless someone really wants to do one, of course.

Back
Top Bottom