• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sports MissingNo.'s Football Blog, featuring occasional guest posts – Fútbol is Life

How should we proceed with this thread going forward?

• Keep this thread open ad infinitum

• New thread for new season

Results are only viewable after voting.
Honestly better for Liverpool that they won but it didn’t matter than draw if it did. Don’t think they would have ever have lived that down had that happened

Anyway.. Happy for Jesse. Hopefully he is reasonably backed this summer or else I’m not sure there’s much any manager could do to keep Leeds up next year. They need so much and I don’t think any of the promoted teams will be as bad as Watford and Norwich were this season.

Come on HSV, my friend has suffered enough.

Edit: Guess it's over, they don't believe in themselves any more.

As much as it pains me to say it, Hertha was smarter today.

Last edited:
Me right now for the AS Roma - Feyenoord finale

sheldon-hyperventilating-big-bang-theory.gif

Crushed 😔

Feyenoord had a great European season, but what a shame you didn’t win this. Fucking Mourinho.

MLS has a nice pride prematch warmup kit this season, so I had to buy one. Picked the Columbus Crew for the Ohio rep too.

CrewKit.jpg

Real really do own the Champions League, huh.
I was pretty impartial for this match, I like both clubs/teams a lot, but there is something to Madrid always winning these finals, ngl.

Still wanna see Liverpool win one of these again asap.

In France, Auxerre promote back to Ligue 1 for the first time in a decade.

Meanwhile, Bordeaux and St Etienne relegate to Ligue 2.

I don’t like the sound of that deal at all, actually

Theyve killed local broadcasts, and it isn’t packaged with Apple TV+, it’s going to be an extra add on that you need Apple TV+ to begin with. Apple TV+ already isn’t one of the larger streaming services, this is like Atari Jaguar CD of streaming deals.

I don’t see any casuals bothering with a crazy barrier.. only hardcore MLS fans will subscribe to this.

Theyve killed local broadcasts, and it isn’t packaged with Apple TV+, it’s going to be an extra add on that you need Apple TV+ to begin with. Apple TV+ already isn’t one of the larger streaming services, this is like Atari Jaguar CD of streaming deals.
It's actually been clarified that you don't need Apple TV+ to subscribe to this service. It's a completely separate subscription on the Apple TV app.

So. Netherlands beat Wales with 1-2 a week ago. Wales made the equalizer in 90+2 and we scored the winning in 90+4.
Fast Forward to yesterday; we played Wales again. They equalized in 90+2 and we scored the winning in 90+4.

What the football..

I don't really keep up with the Nations League, but holy shit, England.
The England players all look knackered. They've basically been playing football non-stop for two years straight. They really needed a longer break between the seasons to accomodate for having the World Cup slap bang in the middle of the next one, but nope, Uefa needs its money spinner. Players are going to be getting 3 weeks max rest before the pre-season tours start. It's bonkers. Next years league titles/cups and even the world cup itself could all come down to which teams have the least exhausted squad with the fewest injuries.

An American World Cup could do wonders for the sport. The country seems a lot more receptive to it now than it was in 1994, be it due to globalisation or changing demographics. Though I think the main thing that would get the average American on their side is if they developed a team that was really good...like...top 3 in the world good.

An American World Cup could do wonders for the sport. The country seems a lot more receptive to it now than it was in 1994, be it due to globalisation or changing demographics. Though I think the main thing that would get the average American on their side is if they developed a team that was really good...like...top 3 in the world good.
I hope not, it's always fun to laugh at America being bad.

This summer break somehow feels like it takes forever. Could go for some good old league football right about now.

At least 2. Bundesliga has started this week, so that's nice.

This summer break somehow feels like it takes forever. Could go for some good old league football right about now.

At least 2. Bundesliga has started this week, so that's nice.

Imagine if instead of a long, dull, football-less summer, we'd had an actual World Cup in a country that isn't Qatar.

At least my club is keeping me entertained by spending money we don't really have in mediocre (Raphinha, Christensen, Ferran Torres) and finished players (Lewandowski)

Imagine if instead of a long, dull, football-less summer, we'd had an actual World Cup in a country that isn't Qatar.

At least my club is keeping me entertained by spending money we don't really have in mediocre (Raphinha, Christensen, Ferran Torres) and finished players (Lewandowski)
This isn't true. Christensen was on a free - he cost no money. Lewandowski had 35 goals for Bayern last season. It's a stretch to say he's finished, and his salary drops after 2 years. Benzema is 35 and scored 25 + goals. Lewa will be fine, as long as you don't expect him to score 50+ goals per season. I do agree about Raphinha - I think the club spent too much but he's on low wages though. I'd also rather have Kounde than Raphinha too. All these players have low salaries so it's fine. What would you rather have? Spend 100+ million on another Dembele?

This isn't true. Christensen was on a free - he cost no money. Lewandowski had 35 goals for Bayern last season. It's a stretch to say he's finished, and his salary drops after 2 years. Benzema is 35 and scored 25 + goals. Lewa will be fine, as long as you don't expect him to score 50+ goals per season. I do agree about Raphinha - I think the club spent too much but he's on low wages though. I'd also rather have Kounde than Raphinha too. All these players have low salaries so it's fine. What would you rather have? Spend 100+ million on another Dembele?
Benzema will be 35 this year, yes, but he is on the same club he's been for the past 13 years, he's more than a goalscorer, and he has a better manager who already knows him. Signing Lewandowski is as much of a gamble as signing Cristiano Ronaldo when he was his age (which ended up not being the greatest signing for Juventus). Plus, the World Cup in December is something that will especially affect older players.

Christensen and Kessie have been free transfers, so I'm not really complaining (even if I don't think they're top tier, especially Christensen who has suffered in a "better" defence that what he will find in Barcelona).

That leaves us with Raphinha. I wouldn't have gone for any player from the Premier League. Even those in struggling clubs will cost too much money and, yeah, they are playing in the best league in the world, but they will always be overpriced.

Kounde -who looks like might be headed to Chelsea after all- would've been my signing. Maybe a left winger, to make sure Piqué and Jordi Alba start to feel like their time is up. Save the money for payments, maybe for the new Camp Nou and, hopefully, with the club in better shape financially go all in in the 2023/2024.

I get Laporta's gamble. I really do. He thinks that only way to become a top club is to get titles, which puts you back in the spotlight, and makes the brand grow. This means he has to spend now to (at least) fight for the league and maybe don't get humiliated in the Champions League. My doubt is that I don't know if these players will be the step forward that we need. They are all decent players, but none of them would be starting for Liverpool, Real Madrid, Manchester City, PSG... Is 200 million € worth it for that? I

La Liga is devalued and I don't think it's a better league than Serie A or Bundesliga at this point. Yet I'm not 100% sure that Raphinha, Kessie, and Christensen will be enough to overthrow the champions of Europe.

Last edited:
Feeling really good about Arsenal's signings so far, the city connection we have is coming in useful. Jesus and Zinchenko are such great signings.

Women’s Euro has been a blast so far. It sucks we got eliminated at the group stage without losing a match but that was one tough fucking group. Now I’ll be rooting for either France or Belgium to go all the way, I suppose.

I can see why Everton almost got relegated.
Think they probably will this season? Really thought after what happened last season they’d go nuts in the transfer market but they sold the guy who almost single handedly kept them up and of much else. Think Forrest and Fulham will be better than Watford and Burnley were last season too.

edit: oh man that scoreline lol

Like I know it’s preseason but… it isn’t preseason for MLS teams. They are being forced to play these stupid games when they got other things to be worried about. Getting routed by the toons in this scenario is a pretty bad look.

Last edited:
Missed Arsenal - Orlando because of the time difference. Watched the highlights this morning and happy to see Nelson get a goal in. Crazy to see how much Jesus is contributing in every single game so far when he’s on the field; whether he gets the goal or not.

I did catch that England - Spain quarterfinal yesterday and it was a nail biter. Germany - Austria today might not be the most thrilling match but both Sweden - Belgium and especially France - Netherlands should be high quality.

Last edited:
Hitting the post a bunch of times is pretty thrilling.

You could have told me the game ended 2-0 or 0-1 or 4-3 and all would have seemed reasonable results, depending on how luck went.

Might only be pre season but slapping Chelsea 4-0 was a whole lot of fun. They looked surprisingly shit, not that I'm complaining.

Aurora lost in the USLW championship match, but boy, what a fun season that was to watch. I had more fun watching their games than I have watching any NWSL match.

England - Germany in the Women's Euro Final is going to be a good watch, I reckon.

England looking scary tbh. That goal from Russo last night was something else. But Germany has an 8/8 track record in women’s Euro finals, IIRC. It’ll be a nailbiter.

On another note, gently floating here the idea of a Famiboards league in the upcoming FPL season. Is that something the thread regulars think might be fun or would it end up being too small?

Amazing semifinals, I'm really looking forward to Wembley on Sunday. Lena Oberdorf was in absolute beast mode yesterday. But it's definitely going to be tough against the Lionesses.

On another note, gently floating here the idea of a Famiboards league in the upcoming FPL season. Is that something the thread regulars think might be fun or would it end up being too small?
Never participated in a FL, but I think it would be fun. No idea if I would actually be able to pull through, depending on how much of a weekly commitment it is.

But I say let's give it a shot, provided we find a couple of people!

England looking scary tbh. That goal from Russo last night was something else. But Germany has an 8/8 track record in women’s Euro finals, IIRC. It’ll be a nailbiter.

I've never done an fpl before but I'd be interested

Who is watching the Women's Euro final?

Edit: Russo out there trying to break Oberdorf, smh.

Last edited:
It was a close one and I felt Germany got a bit unlucky here and there, but hats off to England!

Congrats to England, it's home!
Somehow it felt like luck wasn't on our side from the beginning on today, with Popp injured, the handball and just no luck in front of the goal. Still damn proud of this team, what an amazing tournament!

Oh and Lena Oberdorf, you are a queen

Bundesliga is back in business starting tonight! Ready to suffer through yet another season.

Edit: EPL as well, thought that didn't start until next week for some reason.

Last edited:
The battle of the W's (Werder Bremen and Wolfsburg) came out to a draw to kick off the season.
The battle in Stuttgart tomorrow is the only thing that matters.

Hope they kick the Bulls out for once.

Back
Top Bottom