• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sports MissingNo.'s Football Blog, featuring occasional guest posts – Fútbol is Life

How should we proceed with this thread going forward?

• Keep this thread open ad infinitum

• New thread for new season

Results are only viewable after voting.
Especially after they have proven time and again that they are incapable of winning important matches (Bielefeld, Hertha, Wolfsburg) over the last couple of weeks.
I'll admit, these matches came to my mind as well and don't paint the best picture indeed. I was baffled that they lost to Hertha of all things. It's kinda weird, because from what I had seen before that match, the VfB wasn't as bad as some of the prior results made them out to be, individual errors leading to unnecessary draws or losses; but the Berlin one was a bit of a breaking point in my eyes.

I guess I'm just trying my best with some calculated optimism, yunno. I'd rather Hertha was going down. (I know, I'm mean, lol)

Been a fan for 20+ years and I still don't get this club.
I know that feeling all too well, lmao

It's frustrating sometimes, but weirdly delightful at the same time
Like, imagine being 0:2 behind after 45 mins, my anger, and then 45 mins later, everything's great again. Emotions!

Glad to see the VfB proving me right for putting trust into them ;D

I know that feeling all too well, lmao

It's frustrating sometimes, but weirdly delightful at the same time
Like, imagine being 0:2 behind after 45 mins, my anger, and then 45 mins later, everything's great again. Emotions!

Glad to see the VfB proving me right for putting trust into them ;D
Yeah, it is so odd. Imagine being a fan of a "normal", boring team, lmao. Couldn’t be me.

Still, as lucky as I am with yesterday's performance and especially with the result (I would have taken a draw in Munich no questions asked), I can not help but feel baffled at how they managed to give it their all against Bayern, but not against Hertha or Bielefeld. I guess yesterday they had nothing to lose and just rolled with it.

The great thing is that they have nothing to lose on Saturday against Cologne as well. 16th should be safe, barring an absolute miracle. And if they win, they might escape relegation for good.

Though having to rely on BVB beating Hertha might prove a futile exercise. Still, everything can happen again, and I honestly did not expect that.

Thanks so much for that performance Holding..

The amount of red cards that happen under Arteta are legitimately unbelievable. I don’t understand it.

FSuqFHGXoAUldgi

When not being relegated after a season of missed opportunities and nothing going your way means everything. 🥲

See you lot in the Bundesliga next season, @Imitatio!

Another Stuttgart fan here and I still can't believe what happened yesterday. This was one of the craziest football moments I ever experienced. Unfortunately my football interested friends were busy and I watched the game alone (also I don't live in Stuttgart anymore), but doesn't matter, I just screamed my apartment down in the end. Legendary.

Also, I really recommend listening to the audio highlights in this article (right below the Matarazzo press conference) with the commentator going absolutely crazy from 2:55 on: https://www.sportschau.de/fussball/bundesliga/spielbericht-vfb-stuttgart-erster-fc-koeln-100.html

Another Stuttgart fan here and I still can't believe what happened yesterday. This was one of the craziest football moments I ever experienced. Unfortunately my football interested friends were busy and I watched the game alone (also I don't live in Stuttgart anymore), but doesn't matter, I just screamed my apartment down in the end. Legendary.

Also, I really recommend listening to the audio highlights in this article (right below the Matarazzo press conference) with the commentator going absolutely crazy from 2:55 on: https://www.sportschau.de/fussball/bundesliga/spielbericht-vfb-stuttgart-erster-fc-koeln-100.html
It is still so surreal. When Endo scored the 2-1, I sat there in disbelief for two or three seconds. And then it hit me.

What a crazy end to an absurd season.

Edit: Also, this Finnish live reaction is my favourite thing ever.

Last edited:
Glad to see both Schalke and Werder back in the BuLi. Hoping HSV follows via relegation playoffs.

Also, it warms my heart to see that Terodde managed 30 goals in 30 games, what a legend.

Congratulations, Stuttgart fans!
Thank you!

By the by, while I have you here: what would be the best way for me to start a conversation with the mod team about how we might handle this year's World Cup? Because I am not sure if making a separate thread for it would be worth it or feasible given the traffic/involvement our little community here usually gets. But then there is also the issue with Qatar being the host, so it is going to be a sensitive issue to handle either way.

Also curious about what everyone else here thinks regarding the World Cup getting its own thread. My idea was to make a thread addressing and discussing the issues with Qatar, but to have discussion on the actual football itself be directed to this thread, to make it a temporary place for World Cup match discussion during the month or so it actually takes place. No idea how feasible that is in practice, so any and all ideas and feedback are welcome.

I'm glad I'm not an Arsenal supporter, otherwise I'd eat my own hair right now. 6 point in 2 games against the number 15 and 16 to get CL. Frustrating...

Werder getting promoted is proof positive that I was not the reason they got relegated last season after I bought a Werder kit.

Oof, to be an Arsenal fan. Shit hurts.

Thank you!

By the by, while I have you here: what would be the best way for me to start a conversation with the mod team about how we might handle this year's World Cup? Because I am not sure if making a separate thread for it would be worth it or feasible given the traffic/involvement our little community here usually gets. But then there is also the issue with Qatar being the host, so it is going to be a sensitive issue to handle either way.

Also curious about what everyone else here thinks regarding the World Cup getting its own thread. My idea was to make a thread addressing and discussing the issues with Qatar, but to have discussion on the actual football itself be directed to this thread, to make it a temporary place for World Cup match discussion during the month or so it actually takes place. No idea how feasible that is in practice, so any and all ideas and feedback are welcome.

I talked to the mod team about the issue and the feedback I got, and agree with, is that any World Cup discussion is fine as long as people don't handwave the multiple issues with FIFA and the Qatari government.

Personally, I don't think it should be too difficult to handle - most of us can support our football teams without turning a blind eye to the dark sides of the sport - but a ST on the issue should probably meaningfully engage with the issues preemptively in some way. E.g. how hotels are treating gay couples is presumably an especially sensitive issue for our wonderful LGBTQ+ community and an official site thread on the subject should not appear to let those kinds of things slide.

Tbh, I think the traffic/involvement around the World Cup might be more than just us usual suspects during club season football, so I think a dedicated ST is probably the way to go, if someone feels like making one. And I'm not necessarily sure separating the football discussion from its social environment discussion is good either.

Oof, to be an Arsenal fan. Shit hurts.

I talked to the mod team about the issue and the feedback I got, and agree with, is that any World Cup discussion is fine as long as people don't handwave the multiple issues with FIFA and the Qatari government.

Personally, I don't think it should be too difficult to handle - most of us can support our football teams without turning a blind eye to the dark sides of the sport - but a ST on the issue should probably meaningfully engage with the issues preemptively in some way. E.g. how hotels are treating gay couples is presumably an especially sensitive issue for our wonderful LGBTQ+ community and an official site thread on the subject should not appear to let those kinds of things slide.

Tbh, I think the traffic/involvement around the World Cup might be more than just us usual suspects during club season football, so I think a dedicated ST is probably the way to go, if someone feels like making one. And I'm not necessarily sure separating the football discussion from its social environment discussion is good either.
Thanks for the quick response!

Wholeheartedly agree that all the issues should be addressed in a meaningful way! I would be open to work on the ST, but only if others agree to help with the creation process and the upkeep of it, since I think it would be a bit much to handle for one person alone, or at the very least for me.

Luckily, we still have more than enough time to get it all settled.

Edit: Forgot to add this, but separation of the issues from the thread would have only made somewhat sense if we were not to do a dedicated WC thread.

Editedit: Perhaps we could simply call the thread "2022 Football World Cup" or something along those lines, as to not needlessly give FIFA and Qatar attention they don't deserve in the thread title itself.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response!

Wholeheartedly agree that all the issues should be addressed in a meaningful way! I would be open to work on the ST, but only if others agree to help with the creation process and the upkeep of it, since I think it would be a bit much to handle for one person alone, or at the very least for me.

Luckily, we still have more than enough time to get it all settled.

I'd help but I'm very busy with infant and toddler care over the summer! 😅

But hopefully some of the other active users here would be willing to collaborate. If the thread does go up, I'll give it a ST tag and post in it though!

What about banter and shit talk? although i think it will not reach the offensive levels of ERA (Due to the traffic) it will have special moderation during those days or BAU?

I'm fine both ways honestly, it could be a good thing in having a positive WC discussion for a change....BUT i want to engage if banter unleashes LOL.

What about banter and shit talk? although i think it will not reach the offensive levels of ERA (Due to the traffic) it will have special moderation during those days or BAU?

I'm fine both ways honestly, it could be a good thing in having a positive WC discussion for a change....BUT i want to engage if banter unleashes LOL.
I can not speak for anyone but myself, but I could do without the levels of shit talk and banter you typically see around sporting events on social media. Imo, if it is considered as inappropriate behaviour outside of the WC, I don't see why different rules should apply during the WC.

I can not speak for anyone but myself, but I could do without the levels of shit talk and banter you typically see around sporting events on social media. Imo, if it is considered as inappropriate behaviour outside of the WC, I don't see why different rules should apply during the WC.

Yeah me too, the only reason i'm asking is that normally the rules are more lenient on those threads (without crossing the line).

It's not like i will be able to throw too much banter anyway, Mexico is always shit in these tournaments and the forecast for this WC is that they will be even MORE shit.

My only investiments in this WC is for Messi to not get one and mocking England as always (altought the whole world unites in this one anyway)
just kidding

Yeah me too, the only reason i'm asking is that normally the rules are more lenient on those threads (without crossing the line).

It's not like i will be able to throw too much banter anyway, Mexico is always shit in these tournaments and the forecast for this WC is that they will be even MORE shit.

My only investiments in this WC is for Messi to not get one and mocking England as always (altought the whole world unites in this one anyway)
just kidding
I didn't know rules were/are more lenient in these threads in other places. Never strayed too far from the Direct Speculation threads in the olden days.

Light ribbing is always fair game anyway, afaik.

Well shit, I somehow thought the game was tomorrow.

Wanted to tune in for OT now, but even though the game is available on free-tv, the same channel requires a paid subscription to watch the live-stream online? Guess I just won't watch it, then.

How much evidence do managers need before they realize penalty subs almost always backfire?

Even if you where making a penalty sub why on earth go to Ramsey for it?

Congratz SGE.
Well deserved. Even more so with that support. That is the football I love

kostica5kcl.gif

:cool:

Still, congrats Rangers. You guys went from fourth tier to Europe's summit. Mad respect.

Bundesliga relegation playoffs tonight! Gonna be rooting for HSV, because
  1. A friend of mine is a supporter, and I have seen him suffer enough those last few years.
  2. Separating HSV from Werder would be cruel. Werder fans won't admit this.
  3. I will freely admit that I just miss them in the Bundesliga, and I feel like they earned it with the run they had to finish the season. They did not give up on themselves this time around.
  4. It would be kind of poetic for Magath to have secured P15 for VfB and the promotion of HSV, two of his former employers, during his time at Hertha.
  5. I would love to see Windhorst's face when they relegate after he pumped 375 mio. € into the club.

Bundesliga relegation playoffs tonight! Gonna be rooting for HSV, because
  1. I would love to see Windhorst's face when they relegate after he pumped 375 mio. € into the club.
Did he really? With 375M euros, you could have basically copied RB Leipzig...

Congrats to @Kenka and any other Eintracht supporters! Very well deserved Europa League.
Thank you my man! It is a lovely feeling when the club you root for goes all the way and snatches the big prize. I felt ecstatic yesterday night. I wish you all the same! (I only waited 25 years...)

Me, a VfB supporter, when a third of the Bundesliga is looking for a new coach — but not us.

giphy.gif

Seriously, though. What the fuck at BVB sacking Rose after just one season? Out of fucking nowhere.

Is non-professional football discussion off-topic for the thread, btw? Because I have a pretty bad carpet burn over half my forearm after a sliding tackle on astroturf in the rain two nights ago and it's a very stark reminder that I am definitely not as young as I used to be.

Is non-professional football discussion off-topic for the thread, btw? Because I have a pretty bad carpet burn over half my forearm after a sliding tackle on astroturf in the rain two nights ago and it's a very stark reminder that I am definitely not as young as I used to be.
Of course not! Have some pretty bad memories with astroturf and sliding tackles myself. Luckily there weren't many astroturf pitches around in my youth, but there was one team in our division that had it and I did not look forward to going there once a season.

The only thing worse than astroturf was the red ash pitch (not quite sure what they are called in English) we had to play on for a cup match once. Single worst ballgame I ever had to play. Loathed every second of it.

Real nail biter right there.

Edit: Well, I guess that's that, then.

Back
Top Bottom