• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Famiboards Baseball Crew 2023

Basically boils down to: billionaire owner doesn’t want to pay any money to build a stadium but wants the city to put up a $750 million to develop an old shipping terminal for a stadium and ancillary stuff that the team keeps all the money. It’s says no thanks but we can negotiate. During this time, owner sends president out to Vegas to secure political support and find site locations. Billionaire owner claims poor, offloads all good players, and then complains of losing money/not getting support as a way to show why he needs to move. Then he buys land in Vegas and the city says time to stop negotiating since there is no good faith. Just a total sham for a rich asshole to go get some taxpayers to pay for his stadium.

Also everyone: watch Sonicsgate so you can know the playbook since it was used on us to move the Sonics to OKC.

The fans of the Sonics were done dirty by everyone involved. The idea of publicly funded stadiums has turned more sour, especially since the 08 recession, but you still see it in some states like Wisconsin right now with the Brewers park.

The fans of the Sonics were done dirty by everyone involved. The idea of publicly funded stadiums has turned more sour, especially since the 08 recession, but you still see it in some states like Wisconsin right now with the Brewers park.
Yeah. It worked out in the end with getting key arena remodeled privately to a climate Pledge and the Kraken. I also have no doubt basketball will be back. Thing is is that we expanded massively here over 15 years and are one of the richest cities in the world. Other places not so much. Oakland is hosed in that the other side of the bay exists.

If you want a fun look at public stadium nonsense, go to field of schemes. Great website that tracks all this stuff.

The A's situation is depressing. Those games are so desolate now that you can hear the vendors hollering for beer between pitches.

If you want a fun look at public stadium nonsense, go to field of schemes. Great website that tracks all this stuff.

I am expecting stadiums to become an even bigger hot button issue in the next ten years as a lot of teams that built stadiums in the 90's boom will be looking to upgrade. There will be more outcry for public money. We are already seeing it with teams like the Baltimore Orioles and the Tennessee Titans.

As much as I love to dunk on Reinsdorf (Bulls owner) and Wirtz (Blackhawks owner), I will never question how they handle the United Center. That stadium is almost 30 years old and they continue to pump millions into the stadium and surrounding area with good improvements and there hasn't been close to a whisper about moving or asking for city money.

I am expecting stadiums to become an even bigger hot button issue in the next ten years as a lot of teams that built stadiums in the 90's boom will be looking to upgrade. There will be more outcry for public money. We are already seeing it with teams like the Baltimore Orioles and the Tennessee Titans.

As much as I love to dunk on Reinsdorf (Bulls owner) and Wirtz (Blackhawks owner), I will never question how they handle the United Center. That stadium is almost 30 years old and they continue to pump millions into the stadium and surrounding area with good improvements and there hasn't been close to a whisper about moving or asking for city money.
Yeah. Baltimore is strictly based on an inferiority complex in my mind. Camden Yards is amazing and doesn’t even really need improvements. Only knock I have on it is that it doesn’t have open concourses so you can see the game the whole time you wait in line. M&T Bank is also a pretty good stadium.

I used to live next to the old memorial stadium grounds when I was there and they converted it to a YMCA, public park, and some senior housing. Was pretty fun because they kept the original base locations in the park and had the foul line striping so you could imagine yourself being Ripken or Robinson.

Would be tragic for the orioles to leave, but don’t see it happening. What’s ridiculous is they essentially gave the stadium district a blank check. Baltimore had much more pressing needs than paying billionaires to stay in perfectly good stadiums.

Thought this passage was appropriate, given the last stretch of the thread:

"Baseball in America is many things. But, contrary to widespread belief, professional baseball is not a sport. It is a commercialized amusement business. Strictly defined, sport means participation in some physical activity for its own sake - for the sheer pleasure and recreation one gets from it. Sandlot and college baseball may fit this definition, but professional baseball does not [...] Theodore Roosevelt knew what he was talking about when he said, 'When money comes in at the gate, sport flies out at the window.'"

from Baseball: The Early Years by Harold Seymour

Using my wife's Apple TV+ trial to watch tonight's Jays vs Yankees game, which is an Apple TV+ Friday Night Baseball exclusive! Their stream quality is way better than Sportsnet, the only way to watch Jays in Canada 😂🙃

Using my wife's Apple TV+ trial to watch tonight's Jays vs Yankees game, which is an Apple TV+ Friday Night Baseball exclusive! Their stream quality is way better than Sportsnet, the only way to watch Jays in Canada 😂🙃
People got irritated with Apple TV baseball games last season, but I find it to be the best production crew outside of Fox. Stream quality is great. It’s also way better than their abjectly terrible MLS streaming service.

On the topic of baseball. Washington state is raiding a fund used for building municipal sports facilities so they can upgrade minor league stadiums. For people that don’t know. When MLB forced MiLB to restructure, our short season low A teams became full season high A. What this did was make the stadiums require big upgrades.

So during budget negotiations, this came up as being needed since they are technically municipal stadiums. The mariners are affiliated with 2 teams in the state but don’t need to pay any money since they don’t own them. This is after making 80 million in profit. Just a total sham.

What’s funny as well (and this guy supposedly recused himself from the discussions but still find it objectionable) is that the democratic senate majority leader owns the Spokane minor league team that will be getting $3 million out of this. His taxes show he made 60-100k last year from the team. This guy should be able to get the financing independently to upgrade the stadiums.

So now we are siphoning off half or more of a $42 million fund that came from the taxpayers building the Seahawks stadium to help these professional teams and not being able to spend it on upgrading or building inner city or rural facilities, which are the states two biggest underserved areas.

Now that games are faster than ever before, I'm secretly hoping it rains all day today, just to see if they'd schedule a triple header tomorrow. 😏

On the topic of baseball. Washington state is raiding a fund used for building municipal sports facilities so they can upgrade minor league stadiums. For people that don’t know. When MLB forced MiLB to restructure, our short season low A teams became full season high A. What this did was make the stadiums require big upgrades.

So during budget negotiations, this came up as being needed since they are technically municipal stadiums. The mariners are affiliated with 2 teams in the state but don’t need to pay any money since they don’t own them. This is after making 80 million in profit. Just a total sham.

What’s funny as well (and this guy supposedly recused himself from the discussions but still find it objectionable) is that the democratic senate majority leader owns the Spokane minor league team that will be getting $3 million out of this. His taxes show he made 60-100k last year from the team. This guy should be able to get the financing independently to upgrade the stadiums.

So now we are siphoning off half or more of a $42 million fund that came from the taxpayers building the Seahawks stadium to help these professional teams and not being able to spend it on upgrading or building inner city or rural facilities, which are the states two biggest underserved areas.

Yea, that is some b.s there.

Been going pretty well for the Jays! 8th place right now. Should be able to rack a few more wins this week.

I also just wanted to say that the sheer glee on Vladdy’s face when he was trolling the Yankees last weekend was priceless lol. Saying he would never play for them but loves hitting at their park 😂

I went to my first game of the year last night. Cubs smoked the Padres 6-0 (ok so it was close until the 8th). Tatis received a TON of boos.

Amazing! I love thinking about people getting to The Show and how much of a trip it must be (especially with the chasm between the treatment of major and minor leaguers lol)
I love when they show the shots of their family in the crowd, got plenty of cool moments today for Bibee.

AL Central is abysmal this season. The division is there for the taking, if only we could string together some wins.

Jays winning streak ended last night, but honestly I'm surprised they got as close as they did at 10-8; the Mariners hit a grand slam in the first inning lmao. Weird game! Onto Boston all week now.

Was wondering how everyone is finding the game length with the new measures in place to speed things up; it is not speeding up the Jays one bit lol. First two innings took like an hour last night. Not that I mind! I love a long baseball game and cheer for extra innings. Just curious!

Jays are bringing Jay Jackson up from the minors. Always exciting for me when a new pitcher enters the rotation, it is consistently Toronto's biggest problem if you ask me. Googled Jackson and saw he's played for a lot of teams, including the Chiba Lotte Marines! He was booted off the team for suspicion of having weed lol. Anyway, reminded me of this thread! Hope you've managed to catch a game or two @Phosphorescent Skeleton

Jays are closing out a two game series with the Phillies right now. Something has kinda been bothering me though: Chris Bassitt. A new pitcher for the Jays. He happened to give up a grand slam a week or so ago. Not ripping on him, it happens! Even if it’s not ideal lol.

But they literally showed him walk back to the dugout, watch the footage of his pitch and then smash the iPad he was watching it on against the bench.

In no uncertain terms: fuck that. Don’t be a baby. Shade on Rogers too for broadcasting that out to everyone. Despicable behaviour.

Sweep in the bag for the Jays this weekend but this coming week is the real shit: a four game series against the Dreaded Yankees. Least it’s at home!

This Jays v Rays game is nuts. Lost count of how many times the Rays have fumbled the ball lmao. 9-0 Jays!

I came here to post about this! Seriously if you only check out the highlights for one game that’s not your team’s, make it this Jays-Rays game from last night. It was a wild one lmao

Was super cool having Candiotti in the booth with Tom Hamilton these past two games. Their chemistry was off the charts.

I’ve decided to stop watching this season after the despicable treatment of Oakland fans by the owner and chickshit Rob Manfred. After having the Sonics ripped away from me in 2008, I can’t support an organization doing Oakland dirty like this.

Back
Top Bottom