• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Famiboards Baseball Crew 2023

Playing The Show has got me wishing I had a way to (legally and conveniently) actually watch baseball games. Without cable it seems the only option is MLB TV, but the blackouts make that a nonstarter.
MLB gave Bally's a deadline of April 13th to put up the cash for Guardians (and Twins) games otherwise they would step in, so you might be in luck soon!

MLB gave Bally's a deadline of April 13th to put up the cash for Guardians (and Twins) games otherwise they would step in, so you might be in luck soon!
please god

I'm happy to pay for a streaming subscription, MLB! Just let me watch my team when I do!

Playing The Show has got me wishing I had a way to (legally and conveniently) actually watch baseball games. Without cable it seems the only option is MLB TV, but the blackouts make that a nonstarter.

Are you in USA and anywhere near a bigger city? If so, I recommend HD antenna, they are really useful, you cant see every game but a lot of live sports are still shown on network TV, including World Series.

Somehow, someway, we got the win! The walkoff magic Progressive Field is famous for has started early this season!

4-4 after the first full week sounds about right. I figure that the Cubs will probably be flirting around the .500 mark most of the year, save for a streak or two.

I’m feeling attacked here. :p Nothing like bases loaded, 1 out in the 10th, and nothing. Our best leverage arm is out, so that isn’t helping the bullpen. We will see how the series goes. At least Kelenic got the HR. We need him to put together a decent season.

It’s the Blue Jays home opener tonight and an absolutely beautiful day! Grilling some steak, salmon, potatoes, broccoli, having some beers, watching the bros in Toronto. Holy CRAP I can’t wait

It’s the Blue Jays home opener tonight and an absolutely beautiful day! Grilling some steak, salmon, potatoes, broccoli, having some beers, watching the bros in Toronto. Holy CRAP I can’t wait
Can’t wait for the inevitable Blue Jays “home” series when they play the Mariners. And our ownership advertises it to BC and Alberta because they care more about money than helping their own team win.

Kelenic! So glad he’s starting out well this season. He’s obliterating the ball at Wrigley.

Would be cool to see some new teams! Bring the Expos back while you’re at it 🙃

Amazing game for the Jays last night! Five home runs, pitching was mostly good, and the renovated Rogers Centre looks nice. Although the Rogers Centre will always be the Skydome in the heart of any true Ontarian, no matter what megacorp owns and renames the building!

While they were showing off the new stuff I thought man, been a year or two since I’ve caught a Jays game in person. Then I realized my kid was not yet born the last time I went. That was nearly seven years ago. I gotta get to Toronto

Utah is beautiful in spite of its often frustrating population. It would be a great place to catch a game!

Baseball in Salt Lake City?

Oooh, new scenarios are popping in my head. We've known about Portland and Nashville pushing for an expansion team for years. Vegas has been active as well, but they will probably scoop up the A's instead. If Tampa Bay gets a new stadium, then you have three cities fighting over two potential expansion teams.

Then you get into geography and realignment. There is the NHL method of 4 divisions of 8. The problem is that the majority of teams are still east of the Mississippi and if you mention Cubs, Cardinals, and the NL West in the same subject all hell breaks loose (see the early 90's and Fay Vincent for more info). They could go with the NFL method of 8 divisions of 4, but that still doesn't make things perfect. I drew up a plan with East, Midwest, South, and West. AL actually works pretty good before factoring new teams, but the NL gets weird with Colorado as an outlier.

AL
EastMidwestSouthWest
BostonChi White SoxTampa BayL.A Angels
N.Y YankeesClevelandTexasLas Vegas
TorontoDetroitKansas CitySeattle
BaltimoreMinnesotaNashvillePortland/SLC

NL
EastMidwestSouthWest
N.Y MetsChi CubsAtlantaArizona
PhiladelphiaCincinattiMiamiL.A Dodgers
WashingtonMilwaukeeColoradoSan Diego
PittsburghSt. LouisHoustonSan Francisco
I slipped Houston back into the NL to try and bridge the gap, but it still isn't very appealing. Another option that brings slightly more chaos is flipping Tampa and Colorado between leagues and putting Nashville in the NL South. A problem with that (from what I've read) is that St Louis, Cincinnati, and Atlanta all have fans in the region so putting an AL team in the Music City makes more sense for building a fan base.

Either way, can Tampa and Oakland get their stadium problems finalized already????

I don’t see Portland happening. Owners don’t have enough money to privately finance and site location has been nonexistent. There is zero appetite for public financing up here, so if the owners can’t come up with the $5 billion plus it will take to get a team and a stadium, then it’s DOA. If it has to go in the southwest suburbs, MLB won’t approve it even if that’s where a lot of money is. While the Beavers have been good in college, Portland doesn’t strike me as a baseball town from my time living around there. They kicked out AAA for MLS, so that’s shows where priorities are. Of course, population has gotten bigger, so a smaller stadium could fill in easy enough.

The other big issue is the Mariners will fight like hell to deny it. Would be like the nationals all over again. The mariners make a shit ton out of Oregon and have broadcast rights for the Blazers in their wholly owned RSN. They will do everything they can to ensure they get the most money out of that area. I’m sure they could be placated, but they will take a pound of flesh.

Best locations to me would be North Carolina mainly because that’s an underserved location with the closest teams being far away (I’m sure Braves would also fight like hell), Nashville (even closer but bigger population base in the state than Oregon and growing at a faster rate), or Montreal (second Canadian city. Big population base. History even if it was mostly bad). I’m already assuming the A’s are headed to Vegas (though having an East Bay team makes way too much sense for MLB. But I’m a traditionalist so liked the old AL/NL splits with the major cities. With universal DH and balanced schedule, might not be as important).

I’d like to see a team in Indy someday, the city has a strong sports culture, an NBA and NFL team, and is also growing pretty steadily. Proximity to Chicago and Cincinnati work against it a bit though.

Blue Jays had a fantastic week against Detroit — with one more to go tonight — but this weekend is a real test against the currently UNDEFEATED Rays. Would be cool if Toronto was the one to break the streak!

Didn’t get the sweep, but the Jays held their own against the Rays and took the series! Pitching continues to be a little wacky.

Last night's loss still hurts, but I will take 2 out of 3 at Dodger Stadium any chance I can get.

i’m salty because the show’s servers are down which apparently means the entire game is borked

and so i came to the baseball thread to complain about it

Feeling pretty solid about my 80 win prediction, if not skeptical in a good way. April is fun. I fear May.

It's happening. The Cubs destroyed baseball in Oakland.

Oakland mayor also announced Howard Terminal negotiations are done.

I say this having a history with the Sonics leaving. Fuck the billionaires and their extortion game. Sure I miss the Sonics and would like them back, but not to the tune of having the municipality pay $500-$1 billion for an arena when they were owned by a fracking baron that at the time was swimming in cash. More important things to spend the money on (or reduce tax burden by not having public on the hook. Lots of options). Now we had a privately financed replacement for the old arena (though still city owned so pay no taxes).

I have no illusions though that Oakland has a shot at a team again. The Giants will move to claim East Bay territory before the trucks are even out of Alameda County. And no league will look to that area for expansion either with the San Francisco teams (though I do think it can support multiple baseball teams if they actually would spend money). So in this way, it is sad as Oakland will have lost all its major league teams in the span of 10 years.

Time to move the mariners to the NL West and put the Rockies in the AL. No reason not too anymore with the universal DH and balanced schedule. Mariners travel burden would go up even more with a Vegas team.

Didn’t get swept by the Astros at least! 😄

Fun games to watch for the most part…except when Manoah hit a guy with the opening pitch.

Day off, and then…the dreaded Yankees (apologies to @SlumWolf)

It's happening. The Cubs destroyed baseball in Oakland.

The A's are leaving Oakland? I feel so out of the sports news loop, dang. What a shame. The Colosseum is notorious, but it's iconic. Not to mention the city losing another team. With the Warriors moving across the bay, Oakland doesn't have any professional sports left now.

I feel so bad for the city of Oakland and it's fans. Like you have all said, they just lost their last sports franchise. That has to be devastating for the entire fanbase. I couldn't imagine seeing Chicago lose one team, let alone all of them within 10 years.

I have no concept of sports outside of the Jays, really, so I had no idea this was happening in Oakland. Really a bummer. I still remember how disappointed people were when the Expos went away

I have no concept of sports outside of the Jays, really, so I had no idea this was happening in Oakland. Really a bummer. I still remember how disappointed people were when the Expos went away
Basically boils down to: billionaire owner doesn’t want to pay any money to build a stadium but wants the city to put up a $750 million to develop an old shipping terminal for a stadium and ancillary stuff that the team keeps all the money. It’s says no thanks but we can negotiate. During this time, owner sends president out to Vegas to secure political support and find site locations. Billionaire owner claims poor, offloads all good players, and then complains of losing money/not getting support as a way to show why he needs to move. Then he buys land in Vegas and the city says time to stop negotiating since there is no good faith. Just a total sham for a rich asshole to go get some taxpayers to pay for his stadium.

Also everyone: watch Sonicsgate so you can know the playbook since it was used on us to move the Sonics to OKC.

The A's and Raiders shared a stadium that has been at the bottom of the rankings for each respective league for pretty much 20 years. Both teams have been trying to get a new stadium around the area (some better than others). The A's fought really hard to get a stadium in Silicon Valley some years back, but the Giants fought tooth and nail against it. Once the stigma of Las Vegas being Sin City went away (basically sports gambling no longer being the boogie man), that city became a lot more attractive. Both ownership groups have gone a long way to tank their franchises.

The Warriors was another case of needing a new stadium, but with San Francisco across the bay not having an NBA team, it became a lot more appealing for the Warriors to move out. I've never been to California, but from what I understand Oakland is a lot less appealing overall compared to nearby San Jose and San Francisco. At this point, we may never see a sports franchise in that city again.

Back
Top Bottom