big lantern ghost
i don't want any of your warm milk, liam!
Hello, sports fans! The 2023 Major League Baseball season starts on March 30th and ends on October 1st, with playoffs and the World Series to follow. This is the first time in 55 years that every major league team is playing on Opening Day, so be sure to check your team’s time for Thursday!
Other Notable Events & Dates
- April 29-30 — MLB World Tour: Giants play the Padres in Mexico City
- June 24-25 — MLB World Tour: Cardinals play the Cubs in London
- July 11 — All-Star Game
- October 3 — Playoffs begin
Stuff to know
- A pitch clock has been introduced. A pitcher has 15 seconds to choose and throw a pitch with no runners on base, and 20 seconds with at least one runner on. If the pitching motion hasn’t begun by the time the timer runs out, it’s an automatic ball.
- Bases are increasing in size from 15” to 18”
- Extra innings will begin with a runner in scoring position.
- There will be no Field of Dreams game this year due to construction of a kids’ baseball complex next to the MLB field in Iowa.
Where to watch
It depends on where you are and who you’re trying to watch, but all of the usual suspects are still broadcasting this year — FOX, TBS, ESPN, MLB Network. The league’s own premium streaming app, MLB.TV, will give you access to virtually every game…except for the Blue Jays’. They’re owned by Canadian telecom who maintain their own broadcasting rights. You can stream Jays games from anywhere with Sportsnet NOW. Apple TV+ is continuing their Friday Night Baseball promotion this year.
The number of interleague games has more than doubled for 2023, and changed over to a more balanced and varied approach. For the first time in modern baseball, everyone is going to play everyone over the course of the season.
So! Do you watch baseball? Have you been meaning to try and watch baseball? Do you yell at your television when your team makes a groin-grabbingly good catch? Make sure to swing by and post, then! Or else this thread is exclusively going to be a lot of rambling about the Blue Jays. And nobody wants that.
I’ll update the OP throughout the season as things / schedules / scandals develop. Play ball!
(Shoutout to @EvilChameleon for kickstarting this thread)