• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Famiboards Backlog Thread

Megafan96

Born to be Wild~
Pronouns
They/Her
350e6242-3e90-11e8-812d-0e575a76fb98.png

A tale as old as time...Tons of great games...Never enough time to play em' all.
A concept I'm sure you have no issue relating to, the very embodiment of the road less traveled to any medium, the backlog is especially rough when considering games often eclipse run times of movies, and often even TV Shows or books. You've got em, I got em', let's talk about em.
I try to separate my gaming backlog in 3 parts- Games I-
-Have never touched, but want to.
-Played, liked, but dropped for whatever reason. [Or gamedelay, if gamedropping is too harsh.]
-Played to completion, and would like to finish up extra material [DLC, Other Endings, Challenge Runs, revisits, etc]

This year, I've really begun to emphasize the second and third options as opposed to my usual varietal approach. I plan to start a run of Omori that doesn't go for the true ending, I finally made honest work on my Pacifist run in Undertale, and I've run through some of my favorites from my childhood this year to see if they hold up. Some I didn't spend too much time on- As much as I love Yume Nikki, I don't think I need to grab all of the powers and wander the dreamscape. Getting a few that I remember was enough to satisfy my criteria and cross it off of my list.
Just as well, there's a lot of games from 2022 that got stuck on the backburner- Transistor and Portal 2 won't take very much time at all, but when I'm ready to do stuff on my PC i end up doing other tasks instead. Totally a 'Me' thing.
Feel free to post your backlog here! If you see someone mention something you absolutely love, feel free to hype up the game choice!
New Experiences:
Xenoblade Chronicles
Yakuza 6
FFIX
FFVIII
Vandal Hearts 1/2
Beyond Good and Evil
Metroid Prime 2
Star Fox Assault
Viewtiful Joe 2
Megaman Legends 2
Strange Telephone
Doom Eternal
Shovel Knight: King of Cards
Terraria Calamity
Dead Rising 2
Dead Rising 3
Elden Ring
Ghostwire Tokyo
RE VII
RE VIII
RE3MAKE
SR Gat Out of Hell
Touhou 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Skies of Arcadia
The Formerly Dropped:
Yakuza 5
Final Fantasy X
Transistor
Portal 2
Super Metroid
FFXIV Stormblood, Shadowbringers, Endwalker
Geist
Pacman World 2
League of Legends: The Ruined king
Disco Elysium
Re2make
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion
Revisits:
Zelda 2
Pokemon Emerald
Pokemon Platinum
FF Tactics
Earthbound
Mother 3
Omori
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
SM64
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Chibi Robo
Eternal Darkness
Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic Heroes
Dead Rising Off the Record
Yakuza 0

Last edited:
Great idea ! Written down, like that, it seems more manageable (the only issue is the massive amount of games that'll come out this year...)

New Experiences:
  • Eastward
  • Necrobarista: Final Pour
  • Mass Effect: Legendary Collection
  • Captain Tsubasa: Rise of the New Champions
  • Pikuniku
  • SteamWorld Heist
  • SteamWorld Quest
  • Various Daylife
  • Bayonetta 3
  • Live A Live

The Formely Dropped:
  • Chicory: A Colorful Tale
  • Going Under
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Horizon: Forbidden West
  • The Witcher 3: Hild Hunt DLCs
  • Skyrim
  • Splatoon 3 (I wanna finish that solo mode)
  • Divinity: Original Sin II
  • Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
  • Atelier Ryza 2
  • Disco Elysium (I know, I know...)
  • Shin Megami Tensei V
  • Sayonara Wild Hearts

Revisits:
  • NieR: Automata
  • Sleeping Dogs
  • Kingdom Hearts I
  • Kingdom Hearts II
  • Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories
  • Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
  • Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance
  • Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep -A fragmentary passage
  • Kingdom Hearts III
  • FF VII Remake Intergrade (just wanna replay this before the second one)

Last edited:
Aww, thanks! I find when you write it all down, it looks less intimidating.
I haven't wrapped up ME3 in its entirety but the second and third games had some of my favorite moments. I might slip it on my revisits tbh... It'll take me back to that sweet mid to late high-school vibes.
Disco Elysium is gonna be in a bunch of lists I think. It's great but it's also very dense- no headaches and no half paying attention for me. When I'm in the mood for it though, does it ever hit.

Nice idea! For the past year or so I've tried focusing more on my backlog and it's been fulfilling. I've missed out on some new games but it doesn't really matter that much really.

New Experiences
  • Gris.
  • Diablo III on Switch.
  • Stephen's Sausage Roll.
  • 3D Sonic 2.
  • Pokémon Black 2.
  • Ghost Recon Shadow Wars.
  • Okamiden.
  • Inazuma Eleven.
  • Final Fantasy Tactics A2.
  • Earthbound Begginings.
The Formerly Dropped
  • Skyrim - Played many hours but never cleared the main story, I wanna do that sometime.
  • Monster Hunter Rise - Technically beat the game but I never battled Valstrax.
  • Mario Strikers Battle League - I had a ton of fun with it but dropped it. Dunno what I should do to consider it complete though.
  • Animal Crossing Happy Home Paradise - I just stopped doing houses at some point but I should get back to it someday.
  • Fall Guys - I just wanna get First Place once but I haven't played in a while.
  • Super Mario Maker 2 - I barely played anything of it...
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - I played a bit of it but never finished World of Light, should at least do that.
  • Dragon Ball Fusions - Played some hours of this but then dropped it for some reason. It was fun.
  • Starcraft 1/Brood War - Stopped at the first Zerg campaign.
  • Starcraft 2 - Stopped to start the first one...
Revisits
  • Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle - All I have left is literally the last challenge battle... and the DLC campaign.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - I have to start and finish the DLC campaign still.
  • Splatoon 2 - I wanna do the Octo Expansion.

A ton of formerly dropped. Not too excited to return to many of them though but they're part of the backlog!

Nice idea! For the past year or so I've tried focusing more on my backlog and it's been fulfilling. I've missed out on some new games but it doesn't really matter that much really.
new games that don't get played just get added to the backlog and the cycle begins anew.
Octo Expansion!!! I gotta add that one to mine too actually I got decently far but it landed in dropped territory.

Backlog thread!

My complete backlog is staggering; hundreds and hundreds of games across numerous consoles and PC. It’s simply too overwhelming to consider. So instead, I think of it as a library out of which I can pick whatever game I like. But even so, I find I often reach for new releases instead of what I already own. However! There aren’t any new releases for me this year until Resident Evil 4 and Zelda, and I’ll probably put off playing RE4R for a while.

That presents a unique opportunity to play through games I already own, at least until May. Early May is a hard deadline, not just because of Tears of the Kingdom’s release, but also because my second child is due during that time.

So I’ve made a list! A short list of a few games I’d like to play before May. I might not get through them all before then, but having a list is nice. I’ll get through as many of these as I can!

• Metroid Dread (replay)
  • Sonic Frontiers
  • Resident Evil 3 Remake
  • MX vs ATV Legends
  • Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
  • Final Fantasy: Crisis Core Reuinion
  • Spider-Man Miles Morales
  • Final Fantasy 7 Remake
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Final Fantasy XIII
  • Final Fantasy Origin: Stranger of Chaos
Once the baby comes, my gaming time will be severely limited; once I’m finally able to play games again later in the year when our lives have settled down into our new routines, I have no doubt I’ll spend a ton of time with both Zelda and FF16. So I’ll enjoy this opportunity I have to play some games that have been sitting in my backlog!

This feels like a backlog-heavy year for me too. I tend to switch around the games I play pretty often - variety's good! But that means that there's a decent list of games I have halfway played but haven't touched in a long while.

Here's what I've got cooking... The top batch is what I'm most likely to actively play next, and the low batch are ones that might end up getting dropped for eternity. We'll see!

Expect to see some of these games in the 2023 games completed thread... eventually.

Currently Playing
Final Fantasy VII
Persona 5 Royal
Shining Force
Angel Eczema Orifice
Creature in the Well

Top Batch
Chrono Cross
Katamari Damacy Reroll
Battle Chef Brigade Deluxe
Yuppie Psycho
Tales of Vesperia
Hyper Light Drifter
Ys Origin

Mid Batch
Ni No Kuni
Dicey Dungeons
Buddy Simulator 1984
Silent Hill 2 Enhanced Edition
Enter the Matrix
The Path of Neo
John Wick Hex
Transistor
Ultimate NES Remix
Pokemon SoulSilver
Baba is You
Vengeful Heart

Low Batch
Final Fantasy X-2
CrossCode
Okami
Dandara
Spinch
Anno: Mutationem
Soul Searching
A Night at the Races
The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human

A proper backlog thread, just what I needed! I’ll post the entire thing here, and come back to it and update it accordingly. Still sticking to my New Year’s resolution of no replays, going good so far!

Nintendo Switch:
AER: Memories Of Old
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights
Minit

Playstation 3:
LittleBigPlanet
The Darkness
Valkyria Chronicles

Steam:
Disco Elysium [Currently Playing]
Doki Doki Literature Club
If My Heart Had Wings
Higurashi When They Cry Ch. 1
Narcisu 1st & 2nd
OMORI
Portal 2
There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension
Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward

PlayStation 4:
428: Shibuya Scramble
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
God of War Ragnarök
Gravity Rush 2
Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
Horizon Forbidden West
Hyper Light Drifter
Mass Effect Legendary Edition
Odin Sphere: Leiftrahsir
Outer Wilds
Resonance Of Fate
Shenmue 1 & 2
The Talos Principle
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

Included are all the games that there might be a chance of me picking up and playing to completion. I can count numerous games I own but will most certainly never finish (Tales of Vesperia, YU-NO, Elden Ring, Gnosia, .hack//G.U: Last Recode, etc) that aren’t included here.

Not too much for me, I finished my backlog a few years ago and I've basically just been replaying the games I really like, and playing new games I'm interested in when they come out. I'm replaying Crash 4 right now, and playing Rayman Revolution for the first time.

That being said, there are a couple games, not recently released, which I'd like to try:

-Freedom Planet
-Wrath of Cortex

I played the demo of Freedom Planet, and tbh, the 2D Sonic style can be kind of confusing to me, but the style of Freedom Planet is interesting enough to me that I'm thinking I might buy the full game and try some more.

I'd dismissed Wrath of Cortex for a while, but idk, I've come around to thinking I might give it a try.

Other than that, yeah, just replaying my favorite games basically. Not too much in mind for which games I'm going to replay when, but I'd like to replay Pac Man World 2 this summer.

Backlog thread!

My complete backlog is staggering; hundreds and hundreds of games across numerous consoles and PC. It’s simply too overwhelming to consider. So instead, I think of it as a library out of which I can pick whatever game I like. But even so, I find I often reach for new releases instead of what I already own.
This is basically where I'm at as well. I don't view my games as a collection because I have Good Intentions to try and play them which means they don't stay sealed, but time is the backlog maker.

I'm not going to list everything out but I will say if I can complete a few of the games I've stopped in recent years (because some other shiny came along) like Live A Live and NEO TWEWY and knock Final Fantasy X, Xenoblade Chronicles, or Persona 5 Royal off the backlog this year that would make for a very good 2023 for me.

I'll follow shoptroll's method and say: Finally finishing Final Fantasy VII, Yakuza 0, and Dragon Quest VII would be great.

There are some other smaller games that I would love to finish, but between me still playing Dragon Quest Treasures, Pokémon, and starting Tactics Ogre Reborn soon, plus all the new releases I don't think this will happen. Street Fighter 6, Final Fantasy XVI, and Zelda Tears of the Kingdom will take up plenty of my time already.

I want to focus on playing one game at a time and diving deep into it, rather than juggling many games at once were some of them then take me years to finish. But at the end of the day, I'll play what I want to play in the moment.

I want to focus on playing one game at a time and diving deep into it, rather than juggling many games at once were some of them then take me years to finish. But at the end of the day, I'll play what I want to play in the moment.
Get out of my mind :LOL:

Like I know Octopath II is coming February and Theatrythm Final Bar Line is later this month (I think?). But part of me wants to finish up whatever I'm currently playing before I start either of them rather than putting another incomplete game back on the shelf that I'll either never play again or if I go back to it, I'm going to have to start all over again because I'll have forgotten the mechanics/story and there's no in-game mechanism to review those things glares at Xenoblade

Get out of my mind :LOL:

Like I know Octopath II is coming February and Theatrythm Final Bar Line is later this month (I think?). But part of me wants to finish up whatever I'm currently playing before I start either of them rather than putting another incomplete game back on the shelf that I'll either never play again or if I go back to it, I'm going to have to start all over again because I'll have forgotten the mechanics/story and there's no in-game mechanism to review those things glares at Xenoblade
Yeah, Tactics Ogre is the one where I told myself I absolutely have to dive into that game completely. No way I'll be able to finish it otherwise. Theatrhythm I also want to get, but thankfully that game is much more suited for short burst play session and there's no story you'll forget or anything. Octopath I'm also excited about but that will simply have to wait some months.

Back
Top Bottom