• Hello Guest, the results for the Game of the Year 2022 voting has now been finalised, and can be checked out here

Discussion Exploring NSO together... Randomly! (Game #5 picked!)

smoothies

Moblin
Pronouns
they / them
Around when Tuff Enuff was added to NSO was when the dream of good games being continuously added to the service died.

(With the exception of Earthbound)

MeatheadSamus

Shriekbat
Pronouns
He/Him
I mean, there isn't an endless supply of good games. The games most people want to play are on NES and SNES already. N64 is the only one with big name games still pending.

OP
OP
jnWake

jnWake

i have 50 characters and i'll use them, all of 'em
I mean, there isn't an endless supply of good games. The games most people want to play are on NES and SNES already. N64 is the only one with big name games still pending.
I mean, that's mostly from the 1st party side, there are a ton of 3rd party games that people would love on SNES NSO for example (Square Enix I'm mainly looking at you).

In any case, that's the point of exploring NSO, getting both the good and the bad and maybe finding some hidden gems!

OP
OP
jnWake

jnWake

IMG_8160.jpg

Title screen is a huge disappointment after the boxart...

So, Tuff E Nuff...

IMG_8163.jpg

This is Tuff E Nuff! Graphically it's pretty decent.

It's a pretty standard fighting game where you have special moves, blocks, strong and weak attacks... Dunno, it's super vanilla in that sense. It plays fine enough.

IMG_8161.jpg
IMG_8162.jpg

Only 4 playable characters for the story mode, which is a pretty standard arcade mode.

The main modes of the game are a story mode and a local vs mode. For both of those the fighter selection is ridiculously small, but there are cheats to play as the enemies you battle in the story mode (which ups the character selection to like 11 fighters, still fairly small).

IMG_8164.jpg
IMG_8165.jpg

The game's kinda Tuff but with some practice you'll start winning battles!

So far I've reached the final boss of Normal mode in Story Mode, it was hard to get there but with some practice and cheese it was doable. However, I'm unsure I can actually beat this final boss legit since he's completely BS. I may abuse save states to win or I may change to Easy, I'm considering my options since I wanna beat him but a legit win seems out of the picture... Anyway, I'll have an update later this week and we'll also roll the next game!

Game #5 New
OP
OP
jnWake

jnWake

IMG_8181.jpg

I'm Tuff E Nuff!

Hate to triple post, but I did it, beat the final boss legit on Normal! One thing I forgot to mention in my last post is that Tuff E Nuff features a Replay system after every match. For anyone curious I'll post my final shot of every match:

IMG_8171.jpg

Round 1
IMG_8172.jpg

Round 2
IMG_8173.jpg

Round 3
IMG_8174.jpg

Round 4
IMG_8175.jpg

Round 5
IMG_8176.jpg

Round 6
IMG_8177.jpg

Round 7
IMG_8178.jpg

Round 8
IMG_8179.jpg

Round 9 - This one was a timeout win!
IMG_8180.jpg

Final Round!​

Anyway, time for game #5! First, let's roll a console:

image.png

#4 is Sega Genesis! A new console this time! There are 37 games on Genesis NSO so we roll a number between 1 and 37...

image.png

#22! Checking the list...

image.png

The new game is Light Crusader!

I have no idea what this game is about, but maybe someone here can enlighten me! In any case, I'll try during the upcoming weeks and share my impressions. I hope to see some more positive impressions of this one (also hope I don't have to quadruple post lol).

Last edited:

smoothies

Moblin
Pronouns
they / them
Nice, Light Crusader is on the Sega Genesis Classics collection as well.

I've sampled it but don't remember too much about it. I think I'm getting it mixed up with Landstalker in my head. It has an isometric view and I think is kind of like a fantasy action game.

I'll give it some playtime, for sure!

smoothies

Moblin
Pronouns
they / them
Light Crusader has been fun so far!

I'm about halfway through the second floor of the dungeon.

Pros:
  • The city has so many goofy touches that make the game instantly endearing. You can push people and animals around like chess pieces so one of the first things I did was line up all of the cows and jump aboard my cow train. The paintings in all of the buildings are hilarious, and I also enjoyed a lot of npc interactions like the piano player.
  • the first floor of the dungeon was pretty breezy, and I enjoyed the boss fights. I'm generally not a big dungeon crawler/ solve puzzles by pushing boxes sort of person, but so far, so good.

Cons:
- isometric platforming. The rewind function helps it from being too frustrating.

Off to a good start, and I'm excited to play more!

OP
OP
jnWake

jnWake

Thanks for the impressions! Neat to see someone else chime in!

IMG_8200.jpg
IMG_8201.jpg

Light Crusader begins with a pretty title screen and a neat intro cutscene!

So, what is Light Crusader?
IMG_8202.jpg

The graphics are kinda decent, not the best but they're serviceable.

It's an isometric adventure game. Here, you play as an adventurer named David and your main objective is to explore a crypt, which is sadly where the entire game takes place. I was expecting more of a Zelda-like adventure but this is really more of a dungeon crawler.

IMG_8203.jpg
IMG_8204.jpg

It features exciting puzzles and boss battles!

To be honest, the game is super janky. The isometric perspective makes both platforming and battling kinda tough and frustrating, which is mostly alleviated thanks to NSO letting me rewind. I don't often abuse stuff like save states or rewind but this game would be a complete pain to play without using them. To be fair though, some of the puzzles are fun but they're a little difficult to do because of the jankiness. Tons of puzzles involve pushing stuff and it can be a complete clusterfuck. Other puzzles are cryptic as hell, but the solutions can easily be found online.

IMG_8205.jpg

There's some goofy dialogue as well!

Overall I'm not that impressed with the game, it has some neat stuff like a cool magic system but it's very frustrating. If it weren't for NSO features I'd have dropped it already but I'll see it through. I'm currently on floor 3 of 6 (I believe) so it shouldn't take me that long to complete the game...

... that is, if Engage hadn't just come out. I think the next game will probably be rolled in a few more weeks as I play both Engage and this, all while being parent of a newborn. It's kind of a miracle I can even finish games!

OP
OP
jnWake

jnWake

I haven't played much more to have a new update but...

This surely will be interesting!

Last edited:

Top Bottom