• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News ESA says that E3 will be back in 2023 with both a digital and an in-person event (UPDATE: set for June 13 to 16, separate industry and consumer days)

They usually show off E3 demos at gamescom, so Nintendo's decision to skip gamescom might be directly related to there being no E3 demos they could have reused this year.
Could be. They did a bunch of smaller events this year. Like I said we’ll have to see but it won’t be shocking if they don’t.

E3 is good for the backroom deals that facilitate a lot of interesting collaborations. It'd be a shame if those stopped.

I still think it's going to have a very hard time recreating that E3 magic of old. Events like this only really benefit smaller announcements or mid-tier announcements now. The big third parties and platform holders are all realising they can promote their own wares Nintendo Direct style and still get the desired effect. Not to mention it's now going to be competing with Keighley's wild ride from now on.

Either way I'm not expecting Nintendo to be back in a meaningful way, or Sony or Microsoft for that matter. Maybe some floor presence and a trailer or two, but I think E3's time as THE one big game reveal fiesta has passed.
idk. Sony already left E3 before it went on hiatus anyway, so they're not coming back, but Microsoft never really did its own thing, and still participated in SGF. I think they will be back. And I would be really surprised if companies like Ubisoft saw anywhere near the same level of engagement when they did their own thing, so I could see companies on their level coming back too.

I wonder if this means that the focus for the in-person event will be switched from press to public even more?

Happy to see it officially back on track. Hopefully they find a way to make it work in a post covid era.

As expected, Geoff with the 'dont forget about my show' tweet within minutes of the E3 announcements :p

Happy to see it officially back on track. Hopefully they find a way to make it work in a post covid era.

As expected, Geoff with the 'dont forget about my show' tweet within minutes of the E3 announcements :p

bart-attention.gif

Tired: E3 is run by the PAX and NYCC people, that's good.
Wired: No one ever has to suffer through Keighly's Summer Game Fest ever again.

Kinda weird to think about that TotK won't get a big E3 push before its release after all these years.

Whatever it takes to guarantee a major Nintendo event in June that they have to announce a month in advance, here's hoping E3's life support plug isn't pulled yet

Whatever it takes to guarantee a major Nintendo event in June that they have to announce a month in advance, here's hoping E3's life support plug isn't pulled yet
E3 is in better shape now than it has been in years. It's being organized by the same people that do PAX and New York Comicon, it's in good hands.

The fact of splitting up consumer and business days and holding them in separate areas means a lot of good.

I can see most publishers wanting to come back, including Nintendo and Microsoft.

Sony could even make a presence too if they want to kick off PSVR2.

This seems to be what is best for journalists, publishers, and the fans and the best of all worlds.

I can see most publishers wanting to come back, including Nintendo and Microsoft.
I think Microsoft is 100% coming back. E3/Reedpop announced the E3-adjacent press events as starting on the 11th, which is Sunday, and historically Microsoft has been really the only one to have their press event on Sunday.

I think Microsoft is 100% coming back. E3/Reedpop announced the E3-adjacent press events as starting on the 11th, which is Sunday, and historically Microsoft has been really the only one to have their press event on Sunday.
Definitely. Hell Microsoft basically did their own E3 kickoff event this year anyway, same day and everything. Just... without the E3, lol. They'll almost certainly be back.

Hope this helps hold Nintendo to a date, so we don't get another of what happened this year.
I'll be happy to have E3 back for a lot of reasons, but that's by far the biggest one. And E3 2023 could be extremely interesting, since TotK will be out the month before. So what will they have to talk about then? Literally everything will be out except Metroid Prime 4, I believe. Obviously we'll likely get a lot announced in the February Direct, but still, it's exciting!

I'll be happy to have E3 back for a lot of reasons, but that's by far the biggest one. And E3 2023 could be extremely interesting, since TotK will be out the month before. So what will they have to talk about then? Literally everything will be out except Metroid Prime 4, I believe. Obviously we'll likely get a lot announced in the February Direct, but still, it's exciting!
I'd say there's a good chance Pikmin 4 and Advance Wars both still aren't out. Not even giving the former game a seasonal window in the Direct makes me think it's not coming early 2023. Seems like it could be a summer game.

Microsoft is definitely coming. Although, MS will also play the SGF card as well. They play both courts.

Nintendo will go with ESA.
Sony will probably throw a bone to Geoff.

I'd say there's a good chance Pikmin 4 and Advance Wars both still aren't out. Not even giving the former game a seasonal window in the Direct makes me think it's not coming early 2023. Seems like it could be a summer game.
Ah, yeah, I forgot about that, good call. But I don't see them showing Advance Wars in a Direct (other than maybe a brief shadowdrop) anyway. Pikmin 4 will probably be there, but that also doesn't seem like the kind of game that'd get a huge segment, either. I'd be willing to bet that if we don't see Metroid Prime 4 in February, E3 is pretty likely, given the more western-focus of it.

Ah, yeah, I forgot about that, good call. But I don't see them showing Advance Wars in a Direct (other than maybe a brief shadowdrop) anyway. Pikmin 4 will probably be there, but that also doesn't seem like the kind of game that'd get a huge segment, either. I'd be willing to bet that if we don't see Metroid Prime 4 in February, E3 is pretty likely, given the more western-focus of it.
I mean at this point Advance Wars is probably not going to show up again until the Direct closest to its release, and who knows when that will be. Even then it probably won't get much fanfare in the Direct.

But Pikmin 4 will now probably show up in every show until its release. Its airtime will probably be contingent on which Direct it launches near and how much other stuff they have for that show. Once the next hardware comes out, I'm sure they'll have an influx of titles to show for it, which will hinder the duration of every segment that isn't for something huge like Zelda... but at least first-party stuff like Pikmin stands a chance to get its own presentation pre-release.

And I guess MP4 is somewhat contingent on MP1, if that's still a thing. And vice versa. They'll probably want to space them out a little, but at this point it seems like the latter could come with a teaser for the former that does more than simply reassure people the game is still a thing being worked on.

Hope this helps hold Nintendo to a date, so we don't get another of what happened this year.
You would have gotten Nintendo at E3 had former management not been inept at their job. If this date holds plus remain in person then Nintendo will join unless they have decided to completely remove themselves from E3.

What's the point? There are so few real surprises from out of left field that happen anymore. Everything gets leaked now. Whether it be from insiders, ratings boards, data mines, hackers, patents, retail listing or disgruntled interns with an axe to grind. You get the picture.

I made a mistake years ago by following the news and rumors on an almost daily basis that I'm almost completely desensitized to games at all, then of course life being life. Playing them feels like work, my backlog is huge, I rotate in and buy/sell off consoles regularly and the only two games I'm honestly going buy day one to play front to back with any actual excitement are Metroid Prime 4/remake along with TotK and finally the new RE4. That's it.

Maybe I just need to unplug for awhile. A LONG while. Wonderful community here I wish you all the best. Best wishes and happy health to you.

E3 has inherit value as a presence in a physical place that Keighley will be unable to replace. There's a reason even companies like Nintendo with their own established digital format have still maintained a presence there, and Nintendo specifically is trying to help keep E3 alive. Digital showcases are unable to replicate the public demos, developers catching up and sharing ideas with each other, etc.

The exact value varies by company, and some certainly don't seem to think it's worthwhile. But the fact that Nintendo never withdrew after pioneering the Direct format and continues to back the ESA harder than just about anyone else shows they see something there that isn't just name recognition.
The simple answer is that E3 is cheaper than doing Space World again and easier than trying to exhibit at an event of a similar size. Bet on the fact that, if Tokyo Game Show were amenable to Nintendo on the show floor, they'd be there instead.

Last edited:
I honestly kinda like the idea of splitting up the days. It could actually be a good compromise.

I really cant wait. I always loved e3, it was my favorite time of year. I hope nintendo goes all out with an epic pikmin 4 themed booth

The simple answer is that E3 is cheaper than doing Space World again and easier than trying to exhibit at an event of a similar size. Bet on the fact that, if Tokyo Game Show were amenable to Nintendo on the show floor, they'd be there instead.
Just don’t make any surprise appearances with controllers & your good

Speaking of it would be hilarious, imo, if Nintendo skipped, most of, E3 to then only attend the business day.

Really happy about this. Was not a fan of those presentations that were sprinkled around. This works in favor of both fans and publishers.

Back
Top Bottom