• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News ElecHead announced for Nintendo Switch, coming this summer (UPDATE: out now!)

I remember the PC release got a lot of praise on the sites I read, so very excited to see this hitting Switch since it's natural fit.

I knew I had seen this before!

First tile up in Snoman Gamings top titles of the year if you’re looking for impressions from a great channel

I feel it's really difficult for a indie game nowadays to stand out in a trailer, in terms of visuals and game mechanics. But this game nailed it! Seems like a really solid game idea.

Shocking.

But yeah getting great "old school indie" vibes from this, will definitely give it a go.

I hope the rest of the soundtrack is as good as the trailer music because that absolutely was good stuff

Looks cute, charming, and challenging! Added to my Deku Deals wishlist.

I'm old enough to remember when this was VVVVVV 😂

Looks good though, I'll definitely give it a shot.

SO. MANY. GAMES.

I know it's cheap at $10 but I'm really trying to stick to buying games I'll play within reasonable time 😅

Delightful little game with some brilliant moments. You can tell that a lot of care was put into this game. You could have told me, that this is a new puzzle game from HAL.
So… In the sequel, we have to stop ElecHead from becoming the next Palpatine, right..?

Looking it up on howlongtobeat and seeing it’s like 4 hours to 100% makes it a must buy. Not a massive commitment and looks fun.

Popped it on my wish list and will grab it at some point.

100% it in 4h15min. I was expecting a 2h experience tops. Lovely surprise.
This is clearly my GOTY at the moment.

@Phabh @Oliver-1984 @Lelouch0612 just a quick question, about to buy the game but I saw the esrb rating is for "crude humor," I'm a sensitive sort who's easily put off by certain types of humor...can you please spoil for me what this entails? Is it stuff like making it to be funny if the character is hurt?

@Phabh @Oliver-1984 @Lelouch0612 just a quick question, about to buy the game but I saw the esrb rating is for "crude humor," I'm a sensitive sort who's easily put off by certain types of humor...can you please spoil for me what this entails? Is it stuff like making it to be funny if the character is hurt?
I don’t think this is really a spoiler but
there are some hint screens in the game, just showing a little pile of poo.

If they are talking about the secret ending for finding all chips,
our little robot turns the earth into a new sun.

Last edited:
I don’t think this is really a spoiler but
there are some hint screens in the game, just showing a little pile of poo.

If they are talking about the secret ending for finding all chips,
our little robot turns the earth into a new sun.
Thanks! Just one follow-up question, I assume in the second spoiler this does not mean the robot

kills everything living on earth...I'm assuming there are no living things by this point?

Thanks! Just one follow-up question, I assume in the second spoiler this does not mean the robot

kills everything living on earth...I'm assuming there are no living things by this point?
We don’t get to see any other living things. On the other side, the starting point of the adventure is a power outrage and you see the lights going out in a city in the opening. In the first ending, the robot turns his little station (on the moon, I guess) into a new sun. Begs the question, what happened with the sun in the first place…
I wouldn’t think too hard about that second ending. It is pretty much a parody of the Death Star scene in Star Wars: Episode IV.

We don’t get to see any other living things. On the other side, the starting point of the adventure is a power outrage and you see the lights going out in a city in the opening. In the first ending, the robot turns his little station (on the moon, I guess) into a new sun. Begs the question, what happened with the sun in the first place…
I wouldn’t think too hard about that second ending. It is pretty much a parody of the Death Star scene in Star Wars: Episode IV.
Cool, thanks for the clarification. 😄 Definitely going to make ElecHead my next game after Chicory.

Thanks again all for the clarification about ElecHead. I'm really enjoying the game a ton. I think we're 80% or so done, we played it a lot this weekend and scoured back through each level after beating it for collectibles and whichever other hidden things we could find. It definitely feels like a combination of BoxBoy!! and VVVVVV. Tight, clever puzzle-y gameplay with charm to spare. It's... electrifying. ⚡

Thanks again all for the clarification about ElecHead. I'm really enjoying the game a ton. I think we're 80% or so done, we played it a lot this weekend and scoured back through each level after beating it for collectibles and whichever other hidden things we could find. It definitely feels like a combination of BoxBoy!! and VVVVVV. Tight, clever puzzle-y gameplay with charm to spare. It's... electrifying. ⚡

Speaking of VVVVVV, it always intrigued me but it seemed a bit too much trial and error and the control input limited without any new concepts being introduced later.

Speaking of VVVVVV, it always intrigued me but it seemed a bit too much trial and error and the control input limited without any new concepts being introduced later.
I can't quite tell from your post, did you end up playing it? 😄

vvvvvv is an amazing game! the mechanics might be very simple but the game and level design are superb.

I think VVVVVV is more about taking a simple mechanic and increasingly testing your skill at it, whereas ElecHead challenges you to think of different ways to use its mechanics in order to progress. So I wouldn't necessarily say that if you enjoyed ElecHead you're automatically going to love VVVVVV, or vice versa. That said, I think they're both excellent games! Glad to have them on Switch.

No just a demo I think. I wasn't entirely convinced :)

Gotcha. I definitely agree with @mazi and @edamame that VVVVVV is creative and worth another look. It's definitely more of a platformer with a unique movement mechanics, so as edamame indicated it varies from ElecHead which is a puzzle platformer. VVVVVV is basically a really clever 2D platformer with tight level design. It sits somewhere between the challenge room feel of N+ (which I could never quite get into) and a full level-based platformer. I'm not sure how much of he game the demo showed but I definitely found it to get challenging and compelling as it went on. There's one area in particular that I always used to see cited as impossibly tough. Can't remember if that was optional but it was doable with many attempts. The game in general I remember not being too absurdly difficult or anything, just a fun balance of challenge.

Edit: misspelled mazi's name. Boo.

Last edited:
We beat the game today but still have some things to do in it. We definitely poured at least 6 hours into it so far. We spent a lot of time exploring nooks and crannies and puzzling over some of the rooms. We play a good amount of puzzle games and some of these rooms were super tricky to us. I would say this is harder than Hue, which is probably the closest game to it that comes to mind for me. It has some similarities with BoxBoy!! but the puzzle setup is a bit different here.

Coming into the thread a little late to say that I just played through Elechead in one sitting. What a game. Consistently creative use of its signature mechanics for puzzles that always make you feel clever for figuring them out. It's absolutely on the shorter side (unless you go for those bonus palettes), but it does a lot with what it brings to the table and executes it in an elegant fashion. I highly recommend this one. It's a fantastic example of a short but sweet game. And extra props to the soundtrack, loved all the tunes in this one. Oh! And keep that CRT filter on - there's extra detail in the colors that show up with it on.

I have only one nitpick with the game, and it's specifically with the Switch version. The controller mapping was definitely done with Xbox in mind, with A to jump and X to throw your head. It works fine, but on Xbox, that would be where B and Y are on Nintendo, which is a more natural mapping. But it didn't spoil my enjoyment of the game.

My only complaint is that you basically need to glitch to get the rocket head without any indication and without any other area needing this.

My only complaint is that you basically need to glitch to get the rocket head without any indication and without any other area needing this.
This tip helped us a ton! Thank you! Never would have found that and the resultant secret puzzles without it. We also had to look up a couple other small things but overall I was really pleased with the difficulty curve. Definitely tricky at points and very satisfying to figure things out. I really enjoyed this. I think fans of BoxBoy!! would dig it a whole bunch.

It gave me Mega Man vibes at the start of the video, but I love Box Boy, so it's right up my alley in any case. Will probably get it on Steam then never play it because I have 500 other games to play first.

It gave me Mega Man vibes at the start of the video, but I love Box Boy, so it's right up my alley in any case. Will probably get it on Steam then never play it because I have 500 other games to play first.
Definitely more BoxBoy!! than Mega Man. Basically no combat and the platforming almost always is in service to puzzles. Hope it grabs you before descending into the endless backlog!

The game is not particularly long, so why not play it immediately after buying it? :p

Rolled credits on this tonight! Delightful game and now I’m going through for the collectibles I missed 😄
So glad you enjoyed it! The collectibles are really clever, fun and tricky.

After you're done souring the game for secrets, definitely peep eli's post (#38) above for a hint to something extra hidden to make sure you get that last super secret set of puzzles if you didn't already.

So glad you enjoyed it! The collectibles are really clever, fun and tricky.

After you're done souring the game for secrets, definitely peep eli's post (#38) above for a hint to something extra hidden to make sure you get that last super secret set of puzzles if you didn't already.
Yup! Had to resort to some guides for the last couple of chips which led me to that. Kinda unfair of the game to pull that. But I had a lot of fun trying to get all of them and the palettes.

Final clear was about 5 hours on the clock with 333 deaths. Well worth the $10.

Yup! Had to resort to some guides for the last couple of chips which led me to that. Kinda unfair of the game to pull that. But I had a lot of fun trying to get all of them and the palettes.

Final clear was about 5 hours on the clock with 333 deaths. Well worth the $10.
Yep, and as an Easter Egg in a game filled with lots of side content, I felt more okay with the obliqueness of that secret than I might've normally. Anyway mega kudos for getting 100% in about 5 hours. Took us at least twice that, even looking up a couple things. Really clever and inventive game, psyched to see the dev's next project.

Yep, and as an Easter Egg in a game filled with lots of side content, I felt more okay with the obliqueness of that secret than I might've normally. Anyway mega kudos for getting 100% in about 5 hours. Took us at least twice that, even looking up a couple things. Really clever and inventive game, psyched to see the dev's next project.
If that’s an Easter Egg then I’m going to have to look up how to get the last two chips without it 😅 the video I found for them pointed it out in a segment before them so I thought it was essential

If that’s an Easter Egg then I’m going to have to look up how to get the last two chips without it 😅 the video I found for them pointed it out in a segment before them so I thought it was essential
It is indeed! Getting the chips without it was quite mind-bending!

Back
Top Bottom