• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Reviews EDGE Magazine #380 review scores - Pokémon Scarlet / Violet, Marvel's Midnight Suns, and more + The 2022 EDGE Awards

mazi

picross pundit
flifsp4xeaekrwfmhdjj.jpeg

Reviews:
Marvel’s Midnight Suns - 8
The Callisto Protocol - 5
Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration - no score
Warhammer 40,000: Darktide - 7
Need for Speed Unbound - 7
Gungrave GORE - 4
The Dark Pictures Anthology: The Devil in Me - 6
Evil West - 7
Pokémon Scarlet & Violet - 7
Swordship - 8
Melatonin - 7

Cover - Playstation VR2
Hype - Forspoken, Luna Abyss, Mewgenics, Jett: Given Time, King of the Castle
Hype Roundup - Hades 2, Judas, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, After Us, Crime Boss: Rockay City
Studio Profile - Roll7
The Making of - F.E.A.R.
Time Extend - Astral Chain
The Long Game - Dying Light 2

The EDGE Awards:
Playstation Game of the Year: Gran Turismo 7 (runner-ups: Sifu, Ghostwire: Tokyo)
Xbox Game of the Year: Pentiment (runner-ups: Tunic, Somerville)
Nintendo Game of the Year: Bayonetta 3 (runner-ups: Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope, Triangle Strategy)
PC Game of the Year: Roadwarden (runner-ups: Teardown, The Case of the Golden Idol)
Mobile Game of the Year: Poinpy (runner-ups: Knotwords, Marvel Snap)
Best Visual Design: Elden Ring (runner-ups: Card Shark, Ghostwire: Tokyo)
Best Audio Design: Tunic (runner-ups: Metal: Hellsinger, Domekeeper)
Best Performance: Charlotta Mohlin in Immortality (runner-ups: Manon Gage in Immortality, Richard Schiff in GOW: Ragnarök)
Best Hardware: Steam Deck (runner-ups: Playdate, EGRET Ⅱ mini)
Best Soundtrack: We Are OFK (runner-ups: Neon White, Riley & Rochelle)
Publisher of the Year: Nintendo (runner-ups: Devolver Digital, Annapurna Interactive)
Studio of the Year: FromSoftware (runner-ups: Obsidian, Roll7)
Best Games of the Year:
10. Bayonetta 3
9. Windjammers 2
8. Gran Turismo 7
7. Poinpy
6. Hardspace: Shipbreaker
5. Roadwarden
4. Neon White
3. Pentiment
1. Elden Ring and Immortality

Last edited:
A 7 is surprisingly tame and ... good ... for Pokemon from Edge. Guess they were willing to put the technical problems aside a bit and focus more on the actual game.

I was looking forward to seeing a 3 or a 4 next to Pokemon so this is genuinely shocking, but looking back, they also gave 7 to Arceus and Sword Shield, so it seems Edge consistently believes that "meh its alright" describes Pokemon games well.
And I frankly can't disagree with that if it truly is their stance.

Publisher of the year to Nintendo, but one Nintendo published game in their top 10 (and at 10) lol.

Audio design for Tunic has honestly surprised me a little; it's one area I've felt is fairly hit and miss despite so far finding a huge amount to really enjoy.

Publisher of the Year for Nintendo is no surprise and richly deserved. No reliance on Old Stuff - flagship new games alongside new spin-offs. Best year from them as a publisher since 2019, I think.

8 for Marvel's Midnight Suns is great, I hope we'll see it on Switch in the near future

Sounds like Edge is feeling generous this holiday season with those review scores.

Surprised to see the score for Pokémon! From what I can tell by observations only, I'd expected something harsher.

Only Nintendo can so “quietly” win a publisher of the year. They are so prolific that I think many folks unconsciously grade them on a harder curve then many other publishers.

Pokemon score doesn't shock because Edge has given me the impression they're stricter about game design faults than the average metacritic outlet while putting less value on technical proficency.

Pokemon score doesn't shock because Edge has given me the impression they're stricter about game design faults than the average metacritic outlet while putting less value on technical proficency.
I mean, it's a British magazine. That adds up.

If they were stricter about game design faults Pokémon would have scored much lower.

How ya gonna give publisher of the year to the company that hasn’t published Pokémon Colosseum remake.

Insulting. Nintendo can get away with anything. Like publishing:

Xenoblade 3
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Pokémon Arceus
Pokémon Violet/Scarlett
Live A Live
Triangle Strategy
Bayonetta 3
Splatoon 3
Switch Sports
Mario Strikers
Fire Emblem Three Hopes

In 1 year is impressive.

Very surprised to see that S/V score, nicely surprised.

And also is great to see Bayonetta 3 on a top 10.

looking back, they also gave 7 to Arceus and Sword Shield, so it seems Edge consistently believes that "meh its alright" describes Pokemon games well.

A 7 from Edge isn't really "meh its alright" though. It's a good score. They're not like GameInformer, which literally (at least used to) described a 7 as "average" on a 1-10 scale.

Audio design for Tunic has honestly surprised me a little; it's one area I've felt is fairly hit and miss despite so far finding a huge amount to really enjoy.

Publisher of the Year for Nintendo is no surprise and richly deserved. No reliance on Old Stuff - flagship new games alongside new spin-offs. Best year from them as a publisher since 2019, I think.
You may have seen this before this thread about the audio in the game was fascinating (spoilers)

7 is really good for Pokemon from Edge.

Nintendo was also my publisher of the year. They published over 8 new games this year. Most of them being solid releases.

OP has been updated. here's the full list of winners in the 2022 edge awards

The EDGE Awards:
Playstation Game of the Year: Gran Turismo 7 (runner-ups: Sifu, Ghostwire: Tokyo)
Xbox Game of the Year: Pentiment (runner-ups: Tunic, Somerville)
Nintendo Game of the Year: Bayonetta 3 (runner-ups: Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope, Triangle Strategy)
PC Game of the Year: Roadwarden (runner-ups: Teardown, The Case of the Golden Idol)
Mobile Game of the Year: Poinpy (runner-ups: Knotwords, Marvel Snap)
Best Visual Design: Elden Ring (runner-ups: Card Shark, Ghostwire: Tokyo)
Best Audio Design: Tunic (runner-ups: Metal: Hellsinger, Domekeeper)
Best Performance: Charlotta Mohlin in Immortality (runner-ups: Manon Gage in Immortality, Richard Schiff in GOW: Ragnarök)
Best Hardware: Steam Deck (runner-ups: Playdate, EGRET Ⅱ mini)
Best Soundtrack: We Are OFK (runner-ups: Neon White, Riley & Rochelle)
Publisher of the Year: Nintendo (runner-ups: Devolver Digital, Annapurna Interactive)
Studio of the Year: FromSoftware (runner-ups: Obsidian, Roll7)
Best Games of the Year:
10. Bayonetta 3
9. Windjammers 2
8. Gran Turismo 7
7. Poinpy
6. Hardspace: Shipbreaker
5. Roadwarden
4. Neon White
3. Pentiment
1. Elden Ring and Immortality

Last edited:
from the pokemon review
None of this is nearly enough to spoil everything Scarlet and Violet get right, such as some of the best (and downright strangest) monster designs in some time, an absorbing final act and postgame, and a soundtrack that could well be a new series peak. A clever break from tradition allows you to get properly acquainted with the region’s Legendary, too – a delightful companion that fulfils the various roles of Legends: Arceus’s Ride Pokémon to make exploration more efficient.

Did they not like God of War? Its not in their top 10.
they didn't hate it, they gave it a 7, but all the games in their top 10 got either a 9 or a 10 from them so it makes sense that a 7 wouldn't make the cut. this is what they had to say about gow

As the looting and puzzling become exhausting, the 30-hour main plot begins to stale. Ragnarök offers many scattered scenes of engaging pathos, enabled both by stellar motion and voice performances and by that no-cuts ethos, showing you these gargantuan, mythic personalities at their most vulnerable. At one point we see Kratos divest himself of all the fancy armour you’ve heaped on him and contemplate his own much-abused body in silence, cradling the scar on his abdomen. Elsewhere, Freya dissects her past marriage with Odin in one of many generously written sidequests, and there’s a promising, albeit swiftly curtailed subplot involving Thor – another patriarch visiting his emotional constipation on his family.

But there are just as many false crescendos and annoying Marvel movie quips, and the plot marshalling it all is a bog-standard MacGuffin hunt, culminating in a surprisingly (and, to be fair, deliberately) muted assault on Asgard. If the no-cuts direction brings you closer to the cast, it also produces a narrative that has more plateaus than peaks or troughs – not so much a story as a meandering, open-mic podcast for traumatised divinities, endlessly chewing over the same cautionary nuggets about violence breeding violence while you swat eyeballs or pillage yet another sumptuous blind alley. The combat is beefy enough to carry you through the slower stretches, but even when you’re lopping heads off dragons it can feel like what you’re really killing is time.

Back
Top Bottom