• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News EA Reportedly Pursuing Sale Or Merger (Has apparently spoken to Comcast, Disney, Apple and Amazon) [Nintendo Life]

merp

Darknut
Banned
Pronouns
He/him

From the article:

Microsoft's recent acquisitions of video game companies like Bethesda and Activision Blizzard has sent the entire industry into a frenzy - with companies like Sony pulling out its wallet to acquire the Halo and Destiny developer Bungie.

Now, in the latest development, a report by news website Puck reveals EA is actively pursuing a sale or merger with an even bigger company. According to the report (via Kotaku), the Battlefield and FIFA maker has supposedly already held talks with companies like Disney, Apple and Amazon.

It's also apparently been in negotiations with NBCUniversal about a potential merger, but the two parties could not come to an agreement. Both parties declined to comment, and EA said it did not respond to rumours and speculation.

Comcast CEO Brian Roberts reportedly proposed the merger, and if it had gone ahead, it would have seen Roberts remain in control, with the current EA CEO Andrew Wilson as head of the new mega-business.

EA has supposedly been "persistent in pursuing a sale" and is only more eager after Microsoft sealed the deal with Activision Blizzard. It would also like an arrangement that sees Wilson remain as chief executive. And although it's believed no deals are currently in the works, it's reportedly still keen to make an acquisition or merger happen.

Very interesting. Never thought I'd see the day, but let's see how this story develops for now.

Also, apologies for last thread. I linked to a website that was disreputable and had a bad character to it. I didn't know but now I do.

Didn't hit me until now that if EA were to merge with NBCUniversal we'd finally have our unprecedented partnership with Nintendo by proxy.

oh-wow.gif

It’s garbage that the acquisition situation is so bad that were almost forced to be relieved if one of Nintendo, Sony or MS buys out some major third party publisher because the alternative isnt them not getting bought out it’s them getting acquired by fucking comcast or a literal dictator as a financial asset in some sort of PSG/Man City/Newcastle sportswashing-esque project

It’s garbage that the acquisition situation is so bad that were almost forced to be relieved if one of Nintendo, Sony or MS buys out some major third party publisher because the alternative isnt them not getting bought out it’s them getting acquired by fucking comcast or a literal dictator as a financial asset in some sort of PSG/Man City/Newcastle sportswashing-esque project

That is why when Bethesda and even Acti-Blizz was purchased I wasn't too bent out of shape over it. I remember saying that at least these companies are "staying in the family". These larger tech and outside companies getting involved with gaming feels like a dangerous road. It is the next stage of consolidation for sure.

In terms of non gaming companies, it feels like Disney would be the best option to buy them. EA already works with some of their properties, and their sports games tie into Disney's ESPN ownership. Would probably be the least disruptive compared to Apple or Amazon who have their own hardware/ecosystems.

I say break EA into its components and sell them separately. They're probably worth more to the industry that way, and it'd potentially free some of the studios that have been absorbed over the years.

This isn’t really surprising it’s only a matter of time before these large tech and media companies buy their way into the industry

I say break EA into its components and sell them separately. They're probably worth more to the industry that way, and it'd potentially free some of the studios that have been absorbed over the years.

If only. Sadly, it doesn't look like that's what they're pursuing:

In recent years, as media companies have taken greater interest in the rapidly-growing gaming industry, Wilson and Electronic Arts have held talks with a number of different potential suitors, including Disney, Apple and Amazon, sources with knowledge of those talks told me. Several sources familiar with these talks say EA has been persistent in pursuing a sale, and has only grown more emboldened in the wake of the Microsoft-Activision deal. Others say that EA is primarily interested in a merger arrangement that would allow Wilson to remain as chief executive of the combined company. Representatives from Disney, Apple and Amazon all declined to comment.

Disney makes the most sense to me, I can see EA slotting right in alongside their other media silhos (Marvel, Lucasfilm, ABC, Fox, etc).

I am very scared at the precedent that Disney buying EA would set.

Last edited:
I will care about this if in the end games come to Nintendo systems. If not I could care less.

If only. Sadly, it doesn't look like that's what they're pursuing:
god forbid the villainous executive gets a massive payout rather than keeping his inflated salary!

EDIT: Dude seriously has always looked like a villain out of lazy town

Last edited:
I cannot begin to imagine what Apple would do with them. Mobile only, Apple Arcade exclusives?
Just because EA pursues Apple as a suitor doesn’t mean that Apple is going to be particularly interested.

Apple generally isn’t interested in large acquisitions. They have their own way of doing things and it’s a little different from a lot of companies.

disney might be just the worst possible one of these. Buys EA, instantly cancels dead space and any other ip that has blood in it.
Someone didn’t see Multiverse of Madness.

Seriously, though, this is some “Nintendo games are all for babies”-level misunderstanding. Disney owns Twentieth Century, they own FX, they can and do make more adult-oriented content.

Someone didn’t see Multiverse of Madness.

Seriously, though, this is some “Nintendo games are all for babies”-level misunderstanding. Disney owns Twentieth Century, they own FX, they can and do make more adult-oriented content.
in any case i really dont want them gobbling just yet another company.

Back
Top Bottom