• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion EA and Koei Tecmo announce "the next great Hunting Game" (UPDATE: WILD HEARTS, Out February 17th 2023, Xbox/PlayStation/PC)

New Zealand trick works on Xbox, you can play now if you want. I decided to buy since its discounted to $62 and I had some reward points

I look forward to read impressions from everyone here. I do not plan to buy it, but maybe one day :)

Played it a bunch at a friend's place. It's a pretty janky but honestly quite good hunting game. The building mechanic actually works really well and you can do some really creative on the fly stuff with it. Roster of monsters is a bit small but I'm willing to cut them some slack there because they don't have 15 years of content to pull from like Capcom does there.

Sucks performance on PC is some of the worst I've seen in a long time.

I tried it woth EA Play thingy on Xbox and it looks awful, but it plays ok. Maybe when it hits Gamepass.

The game is really fun. Had a blast playing with Friends. I am still trying to figure out how playing in other people's worlds fully works. You can progress the story together but if you arn't the host it seems you can't engage in the side quests or activate Dragon Pits (which are important for exploring), so it looks like you have to do that at a later date. I never confirmed because the Host was sure to make sure I didn't steal thier food >_> but I think if you leave food to cook or a boat to collect fish for you anyone in the world can take those items.

After playing with friends, when I went back to my game, I had a NPC with an Online name that was visiting my village, when I talked to them I was able to travel to that persons world and see the contraptions they had. This feels similar to visiting people's worlds in Animal Crossing. I don't know, the point of going to other people's worlds but I did get 2 Talismans from hunting a monster in thier world. From what I can tell, Talisman are not common either, so maybe Talisman have a higher drop rate in other worlds...or I got lucky.

One of the Talisman I got was very powerful where it had a skill that can negate all monster roars...but the skill on the talisman was greyed out. I think this means I can't use the skill on the Talisman. Next to the skill was a Demon Icon. I think this is referencing the alignment system in the game where your depending on how you modify your gear your alightment can lean more Human or more Karakuri (Demon). I think if I get my alignment more to the Karakuri side, the skill on that talisman will become available to me.

The Karakuri building is top notch fun, outside of battle, it feels like your build your world how you want to traverse it and gives me a bit Persona Q intimacy vibes. The Karakuri in battle is also cool especially when you succesfully read the monsters tells and build the correct Karakuri to knock them to the ground. I kinda like it more than Silkbind attacks in MHR.

Outside of performance, the only thing I STRONGLY dislike in this game is that it walls you from several weapons for all of Chapter 1. That is a LONG time not to have access to a weapon you might want to play. While there are people that play multiple weapons in Hunter games, I feel the vast majority prefer to spend most of thier time with ONE weapon. I wanted to try Cannon in this game but I still don't have access to it. By the time I get access to it, I will have mastered Bow and my incentive to play Cannon will be gone. If I didn't not like Bow when playing the trial, I would NOT have bought this game, as I have poor timing and try not to play combo weapons (which are usually melee) too much. My partner was interested in trying out Claw and Cannon to see if they would main it. But those are still locked for them. So they just decided to stick with Long Sword since they are already getting used to playing the game with one. VERY DUMB decision imo and the thing I dislike the most about the game. All weapons should be made available immediately for people to see what they like and don't.

Back
Top Bottom