• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Film Dune (2021) Discussion thread

OTBWY

Mirai Ninja
Designer
Pronouns
He/Him
Arrakis. Dune. Desert Planet.

A storm is coming. Our storm.

Out in theaters!

Check out the release date in your respective House (country) below.​

E_Qlo_VVkAE6tRw.jpg

Cast:

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1160419/

Rotten Tomatoes: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dune_2021

Metacritic: https://www.metacritic.com/movie/dune-2020

Let's get a discussion going! Did you see it? What did you think? Do you like it, dislike it? Please let us know.

(Please keep things spoiler free)

Last edited:
I'm waiting for Cinemark by me to put tickets on sale. I'm planning on going to see it opening night in IMAX.

I'm waiting for Cinemark by me to put tickets on sale. I'm planning on going to see it opening night in IMAX.
Are you in the US? Such crap that it comes out so late there. Anyway, IMAX is a must for this movie. Good plan.

Are you in the US? Such crap that it comes out so late there. Anyway, IMAX is a must for this movie. Good plan.
Yup. The nice thing is I have a decent IMAX theater near me and not a fake one so I will definitely be getting my money's worth.

Box Office Pro just put out their first forecast for the movie domestically. They have it opening to $35-40 million for now based on early metrics. That's actually quite good considering the HBO Max day-and-date releases have had substantially diminished Box Office returns (remember Suicide Squad opened to just $26 million). Luckily, in same-markets comparisons where Dune is already released, Dune is far outpacing Suicide Squad, which bodes well for all markets. Also, BO Pro has been low-balling quite a bit lately, so we'll see how it shakes out. HBO Max is the one variable in all this that is difficult to predict.

Tickets should go on sale for the US this Monday or Tuesday. We'll get a better idea about tracking when we can start seeing how it performs in presales. And despite WB originally not planning to have Thursday previews, it seems like they have back-tracked and will have some 6pm showings. We'll see.

My ass will be in that IMAX and Dolby theatres that day. My favorite book ever deserves to be seen twice in one day.

Yup. The nice thing is I have a decent IMAX theater near me and not a fake one so I will definitely be getting my money's worth.
Prepare to get your mind blown. The sound design is top notch. I should be careful, hype is the mind killer. :p

Box Office Pro just put out their first forecast for the movie domestically. They have it opening to $35-40 million for now based on early metrics. That's actually quite good considering the HBO Max day-and-date releases have had substantially diminished Box Office returns (remember Suicide Squad opened to just $26 million). Luckily, in same-markets comparisons where Dune is already released, Dune is far outpacing Suicide Squad, which bodes well for all markets. Also, BO Pro has been low-balling quite a bit lately, so we'll see how it shakes out. HBO Max is the one variable in all this that is difficult to predict.

Tickets should go on sale for the US this Monday or Tuesday. We'll get a better idea about tracking when we can start seeing how it performs in presales. And despite WB originally not planning to have Thursday previews, it seems like they have back-tracked and will have some 6pm showings. We'll see.

My ass will be in that IMAX and Dolby theatres that day. My favorite book ever deserves to be seen twice in one day.
I definitely remember that (Suicide Squad). But the opening numbers really put me at ease, it definitely guarantees a part 2. As for actually watching it on HBO Max.... having seen the film I considered it a crime to not give it a go in theaters first. This is what IMAX and all those fancy new movie theater tech was made for.

I definitely remember that (Suicide Squad). But the opening numbers really put me at ease, it definitely guarantees a part 2. As for actually watching it on HBO Max.... having seen the film I considered it a crime to not give it a go in theaters first. This is what IMAX and all those fancy new movie theater tech was made for.

Honestly, I won't be shocked if Part II is greenlit just before the US release to drum up excitement. WB should be able to look at the strong numbers across Europe and easily see the potential for growth in the future.

Finally saw it yesterday and I must say that I loved it. The adaptation is really faithful, the art direction is incredible and manage to give credibility to lots of things that were really hard to picture on a screen, like the flying baron.
The sound design is top notch, maybe a little to present.
They made the planet itself a character and the shots of it are phenomenal.

I have been a fan of the books (at least until god emperor) and I'm pretty satisfied with this movie.

I watched 25 minutes of the 1984 film and was a steaming pile of crap. What is so great about this franchise?
The 1984 is a love it or hate it type of movie. The problem is that Dune is a huge franchise with a lot of topics to cover, what the 1984 movie tried to do is cram all that into a single movie. So the movie feels like it is throwing a bunch of stuff in your face and expecting you to know all this. However, the new movie is WAAAAY better structured. It only tells you what you need to know and shows you the core story.

Anyway, Dune is imo one of the best science fiction stories ever written. A lot of bigger franchises took inspiration from Dune, like Star Wars.

The 1984 is a love it or hate it type of movie. The problem is that Dune is a huge franchise with a lot of topics to cover, what the 1984 movie tried to do is cram all that into a single movie. So the movie feels like it is throwing a bunch of stuff in your face and expecting you to know all this. However, the new movie is WAAAAY better structured. It only tells you what you need to know and shows you the core story.

Anyway, Dune is imo one of the best science fiction stories ever written. A lot of bigger franchises took inspiration from Dune, like Star Wars.

I will watch the new version of Dune, but I'm going in skeptical. Many people recommended that I watch Dune 1984 and John Carter and both were HUGE disappointments IMO.

Tickets went on sale in the US today. Just got my opening night tickets.
That's awesome. Let's go.

Hoping that finally some of my fav reviewers from the US get to see it. Dying to hear what they think about the movie.

Just saw it yesterday. Didn‘t see any trailers, didn‘t know about the book or that this could be the first part of a series of movies. I was blown away. What a great experience that truly benefits from the big screen.

Thought the movie was just ok.

Visually impressive, OST is amazing, but not a whole lot going on IMO. ]Story is vague (?). Like, it's there, but motives and how the world came to be are all beyond unexplored. Haven't read the books or anything, so could be intentional, but it was hard to get a feel for the world and it's dynamics, so to speak

Thought the movie was just ok.

Visually impressive, OST is amazing, but not a whole lot going on IMO. ]Story is vague (?). Like, it's there, but motives and how the world came to be are all beyond unexplored. Haven't read the books or anything, so could be intentional, but it was hard to get a feel for the world and it's dynamics, so to speak
That's fair. I think one of the more fun things about Dune is that it is so far into the future and there is so much unexplained, lost and merged cultural historical elements that make it interesting for me. The thing what I liked about the movie is that the world(s) give a vibe that it is lived in, worn. It's kinda a pet peeve of mine to have futuristic movies where everything is pearly white and clean.

Very good news Fellow Dune fans! Already over 100 Million Box office!

Quinn's ideas is an excellent channel for Dune lore and Dune discussion.

I'll be watching it on HBO. Pretty excited for it, but trying to keep my expectations in check.

I tried reading the first novel a few times, but it was too dry for me and never finished it. I'm sure I was too young at the time. I've seen the 1984 versions a few times, both the theatrical and Alan Smithee cut, so I'm pretty familiar with that. Never watched the Sci Fi miniseries.

Big Dune head here. Really excited to get really drunk and watch this pirated.
If you really are a big Dune head, I hope you also watch it in theaters and support the movie for a part 2. The IMAX experience really adds something special to the movie.

I am still trying to slog through the book. These guys sure love cinnamon and they’re absolutely mad for water! It's goofier than I was expecting and I don't know why I'm surprised. Also obsessed with how much Herbert lets his dislike of gay people into how he writes antagonists. Piter is described as "mincing" a lot, you're not slick, Frank!

Got my tickets booked for Saturday afternoon, can't wait to see this. Missed 2049 in theaters, won't make that mistake with a Villeneuve film ever again

Just got back from my IMAX showing....

Dune is why I go to the movie theater. Sometimes there is a spectacle created that is meant to seen on the big screen. You want to feel that anticipation as you walk into the theater. As clock closes in on the top of the hour the excitement builds within the room. Most people there are strangers to one another but for a few hours they share that excitement with one another and feed off of it. Tonight I experienced all of that with Dune.

The craftwork into the film was second to none. Visually it was stunning. The cinematography was gorgeous. The special effects were The audio was mind blowing. Between the sound effects and the overall score Zimmer outdid himself once again. I am glad I saw it for the first time in a theater in IMAX.

Now story wise I am not sure how to feel. I went in blind as far as never reading the books before. I found the world to be interesting but the overall film didn't feel evenly paced. It builds to the Harrkan invasion but then it slows down again. It felt like the filmmakers spent too much time focusing on Paul's visions of the future. I could have done with some scenes just being played through instead of jump cuts between parallel action scenes. While abrupt, I was getting a feeling about 10-15 minutes left that we were getting close to the end. I have more questions than answers so I personally cannot wait for part 2.

One thing/theory that I have is that Gurney is still alive. During the invasion he leads men into a fight but then we never see him again for the rest of the film. I know there were several piles of burning bodies in the aftermath but we didn't see his body. He seems like a big enough character to where we would get confirmation on screen. Maybe I'm completely off my rocker here but I'm sticking with it until told otherwise.

Once again I am so glad that I went to the theaters tonight. I hope that everyone that wants to experience this on the big screen gets a chance.

I don't even know where I am with this one. I realised quite shortly in I was absolutely knackered. Eyes spent the whole time drooping. Will need to rewatch but I found the first hour very dull, the middle kicked off but I just didn't care about anyone but the Mum and Dad.

A lot of it reminded me why I dislike the book. Paul is a wholly uninteresting character, and its a story full of AMAZING ideas but I just don't fucking care. Spice is also just as arbitrary a concept as the book.

I wish they had planned a trilogy; built up the family unit relationship and then ended with the attack. The Doctor character is so underdone - no one fucking cares he betrays them. Without giving book spoilers theres a fairly decent place to open/close the 2nd/3rd film with that pacing.

The last hour...imo is bad.

The best sequence in the film is the first worm. Totally astounding. All the worm stuff was great.

Visually, it was striking. However, I don't think that it was always good. Often when I was most bored it looked artistic but the visuals provided no theme. The first hour introducing everyone is just sombre in every scene no matter the planet or characters in it. The best part of the film is when they first fly across the planet and its a different colour tone; on purpose perhaps, but you don't dangle the carrot that far into the film.

All the designs in the film I loved. The stone like metal on the ships; the firefly planes (their honestly so good); and despite criticising some of the visuals above some of it is amazing.

I need to rewatch but this feels like a real wasted opportunity to me. The final hour is a slog where the entire audience is waiting for an end or a big finish. It ends where it started an hour earlier and theres no cliff hanger. I need to see it where am not literally having to spasm to stay awake but I was super disappointed. At times it felt epic, other times it felt like a chore.

Looking like no digital release upfront for Canada. :( On the plus side, I should have a new TV and sound bar by the time it hits streaming here 😎

Just finished this, it was pretty okay. It really feels like the first half of a movie and that kinda sucks because it feels like (outside of one scene) nothing really happens. It ends super abruptly. The main character is extremely boring, no charm whatsoever. Most of the good scenes are in the trailers, and I'd almost go as far to say that the trailers are false advertising, as they paint the picture that this is a big epic sci-fi blockbuster with tons of battles and cool shit when that's not what this is (for the most part).

That all being said, the world-building in this movie is truly phenomenal. Arakkis feels like a real place. The stunning cinematography and CGI really helps with that, as this is one of the best looking movies I've ever seen. The action is actually pretty good (no jump cuts, thank fuck), I expected it to suck going in but it exceeded my expectations so that's a plus. The scope is nuts (GODDAMN I wish I watched this in a theatre).

Overall a really okay movie that would have been bad had the world-building not been so good. Hopefully they improve on things in the sequel.

I'd recommend to anyone who's disappointed or confused: Just read the book. I doubt we're getting Part 2 at this rate.

Edit: I might have to correct myself on that. If Part 2 is guaranteed, I hope they go past the first Dune book and all the way to Children of Dune.

I also get the feeling this would've worked better as a mini-series, because as a stand alone film, it will not make any narrative sense unless you are familiar with Dune lore.

I'd recommend to anyone who's disappointed or confused: Just read the book. I doubt we're getting Part 2 at this rate.

Edit: I might have to correct myself on that. If Part 2 is guaranteed, I hope they go past the first Dune book and all the way to Children of Dune.

I also get the feeling this would've worked better as a mini-series, because as a stand alone film, it will not make any narrative sense unless you are familiar with Dune lore.
Don't need lore, just need wurm

The movie was okay. It reminded me that Dune is more memorable for its ideas, its scope and worldbuilding potential then for its execution. When looking at the series as a whole, there's a compelling tale to tell, but individual chapters don't do it justice.

My favorite adaptation remains the crazy Jodorowsky script, which I think everyone should read. You can find it here.

What do you mean? Part 2 is in the bag. The movie is doing very well box office wise.

In fairness though, it's gonna be right awkward to return to if that second half isn't confirmed. And Warner's still using fairly wishy washy language whenever that's brought up.

Watched this on HBO Max yesterday and I am not sure how to feel about it. Worldbuilding is interesting, the acting and visuals are stunning, the score is incredible, but the story is confusing and at times dull. I should probably read the books to see what got in and what got cut.

I cried about halfway during my first showing because I was so happy.

For context, Dune has been my favorite book since I was about 13. I've read it many many times. Bring on Part 2.

Dune was fucking incredible in IMAX. I loved everything about the movie, having never read the book. I didn't find it confusing, in fact I was sucked into every line.

Dune was fucking incredible in IMAX. I loved everything about the movie, having never read the book. I didn't find it confusing, in fact I was sucked into every line.

It’s one of the few classics from the genre I’ve never read, and yeah. Completely agree.

Being familiar with the book probably enriches the experience, but I loved the film for what it is.

I had no idea what Dune was until about a month ago. Is this movie the starting point or whatever?

I just got tickets for tomorrow night. The only other movie I've seen in a theater this year was some Marvel schlock, so between this and The French Dispatch it'll be nice to experience some cinema again.

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings but overall I really liked it. Villeneuve is one of my favorite directors so I knew I'd enjoy watching it, if nothing else. I saw it on a large format screen (a local theater chain's proprietary IMAX alternative), showing the Dolby cut, so that definitely helped with my enjoyment. Here's hoping for part 2.

Did anybody go to IMAX? I have a huge problem where I don't know if I want middle of the theater or be crazy and try the recliners up front

letjK39.png

What should I do??

Watched it last night on HBO Max and really enjoyed it. I never read the book and didn’t find it difficult to follow. Chalamet did a great job. As expected with Villeneuve it was a beautiful movie. My only criticism is that it is very much a Part 1 and in many ways just felt like a setup for the “real” story. Really excited for Part 2 but kind of bummer it’s probably going to be 2-3 years before that.

My local IMAX's audio mix was absolutely awful for dialogue. I have never read Dune and missed 50-60% of the dialogue, so anything that couldn't be gleaned from visual storytelling left me narratively confused and emotionally cold. The movie looked stunning in IMAX, but my local IMAX needs to get their shit together - it was almost as bad of a mix as Tenet.

I'll watch it on HBO Max today or tomorrow with subtitles and give my true rating then. For now, it's a 6.5/10 for me. No emotional investment, but it sure looked neat, and the sound design and score were exceptional.

it was almost as bad of a mix as Tenet.
Tenet just had a bad mix itself. The sound was fine here. Turned on subs a couple times tho, they whispered more than once.

Next imax is at least 100km away, so I enjoyed the beautiful 4k version at home. Sand never looked better haha.

Momoa played himself as usual, but he's so charismatic so it's sad to see him die already.

Tenet just had a bad mix itself. The sound was fine here. Turned on subs a couple times tho, they whispered more than once.

Next imax is at least 100km away, so I enjoyed the beautiful 4k version at home. Sand never looked better haha.

Momoa played himself as usual, but he's so charismatic so it's sad to see him die already.
Momoa was a highlight for me as well!

I kinda get and don't get the dismay at it being just a part 1. I think if you have read the books you can understand that there is so much material there that you have to split it up. That is kinda what went wrong with the 80s Dune movie, it tried to cram too much into the time it had and it still lasted 3 hours. If you haven't read the book, I highly recommend you do as it adds more detail to what you just watched.

The theater near me is one of those fancy ones with huge recliners and dinner service, but we got cheap seats up in the second row. Great movie overall.

I have mixed feelings but overall I really liked it. Villeneuve is one of my favorite directors so I knew I'd enjoy watching it, if nothing else. I saw it on a large format screen (a local theater chain's proprietary IMAX alternative), showing the Dolby cut, so that definitely helped with my enjoyment. Here's hoping for part 2.
Same here, at an "EMAX" instead of IMAX. Felt like the projector was very dim though I watched it again at home on my CX and it looked a lot better :(

Back
Top Bottom