• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Dragon Quest X Offline is coming to PS4/PS5/Steam/Switch on September 15th, 2022 in Japan (UPDATE: 3rd trailer, see threadmarks)

I guess I just can not find it in me to expect them to release it WW once it is content-conplete, after I held out hope for them to bring the Pixel Remasters to console once they had released them all on PC/mobile.

I guess I just can not find it in me to expect them to release it WW once it is content-conplete, after I held out hope for them to bring the Pixel Remasters to console once they had released them all on PC/mobile.

I've never played these games ever before but if they did a collection of all six and let's say a full $60, even I would be excited. This would absolutely sell millions of copies I bet. It's the oddest thing that they simply won't budge on this. Some how, some where the CEO of Square Enix thought gamers wanted NFTs instead. Brain dead.

Ah, I did not know that. Assumed it was a complete package from the get go.

So maybe once they are done adding more content to it they might— oh, who am I kidding.
we don't actually know if they'll do all the content. they only announced the first and second expansion adaptations. and I don't expect them to add those to the package for free in the west. they're probably paid expansions. so the full game would be quite expensive

Still don't get why they don't announce a western release when the reason why they first mentionned that they might do an offline version of DQX years ago was specifically for the west to play it lmao.

I'm positive the game will be localized eventually, there was never a single mainline DQ game that didn't come over at some point. Especially these days they are bringing everything even minor spin offs, they wouldn't leave X out.

They're probably figuring out how to do it with the expansions and such. DQ isn't strong enough on the west to support several rounds of DLC (if that's what they're planing at all), so they might be waiting until they have a response from the japanese market to see what's the best strategy. Even if they don't do version 3 and on, version 2 is already confirmed and costs half the price of the game in Japan, so to bring it over to the west they would have to figure the right pricing.

Taking a lot of time to announce a localization is just the standard DQ fare as of a few years ago. It took years for them (Nintendo) to bring over VII and VIII.

Still don't get why they don't announce a western release when the reason why they first mentionned that they might do an offline version of DQX years ago was specifically for the west to play it lmao.
I think they got cold feet after seeing the art they went with. 3DS styled chibis might have made them hesitant. And we aren't even talking about Bravely Default levels of fidelity here

Well, nothing new in trailer 3, disappointing. Also I check 3 days ago and the game was still mot up on jp eshop for preorder. Worst, it didn't even has a page on eshop.
Weird

I'm positive the game will be localized eventually, there was never a single mainline DQ game that didn't come over at some point. Especially these days they are bringing everything even minor spin offs, they wouldn't leave X out.

They're probably figuring out how to do it with the expansions and such. DQ isn't strong enough on the west to support several rounds of DLC (if that's what they're planing at all), so they might be waiting until they have a response from the japanese market to see what's the best strategy. Even if they don't do version 3 and on, version 2 is already confirmed and costs half the price of the game in Japan, so to bring it over to the west they would have to figure the right pricing.

Taking a lot of time to announce a localization is just the standard DQ fare as of a few years ago. It took years for them (Nintendo) to bring over VII and VIII.
This is DQ X Offline, not the DQ X Online. There's no need for expansions from a online game to a offline game.

Quoted by: Leo
This is DQ X Offline, not the DQ X Online. There's no need for expansions from a online game to a offline game.

I don't think I understand your post.

DQX online has the base game plus 5 expansions, each with their own storyline. DQX offline will adapt the base game and a DLC has been announced that will adapt the first expansion. That leaves 4 other expansions that might be brought to the offline game or not.

The issue is the price disparity between Japan and elsewhere. Pissing off the primary demographic might not be he wisest of ideas. The user isn't wrong about there being a smaller audience in the west, but given how the game looks, this one might not be all that appealing to begin with. Maybe they could remedy this with a base game + expansion combo pack for $70 or something. But I don't see westerners getting the deal of the century here.

Thoughts?

Whenever I speculated about why DQX offline hadn't been announced for the west yet, I always mentioned I thought it was because SE wanted to wait until the first expansion was out in Japan, so that post makes a lot of sense to me. DQ needs all the help it can to sell in the west, so IMO, it wouldn't make sense to release the base game with a big DLC separately, it would probably end up failing. The smartest approach is to sell them as one package. But in order to do that, you have to delay the release, because Japan is having to pay extra for the DLC, so they would be getting screwed over if the west got the same content for much less at the same time. This new perspective about the game feeling a bit incomplete without the expansion adds further to this theory, and I definitely think is the case.

DQX is the only mainline game that has never been release on the west, all the others have come in one way or another, so it's extremely unlikely this isn't coming. Even DQVII and VIII on the 3DS were brought over years later, and these games already had had western releases. Also, as a reminder, during the reveal stream, it wasn't outright said that DQX offline was japan exclusive, but they did say that for the new expansion of the online game, so there was a clear message there.

The game is 100% coming, I don't think there's any reason for doom and gloom.

surely they won't distribute it in the West BEFORE it being "completed" in terms of releases in Japan.
that said, they probably won't distribute it over here, ditto.

Now that the expansion is out I could see us getting it. Probably wanted to get all the content finished before localization could begin.

Me: "Square would have to be dumb as a brick to not give DQX Offline a worldwide release."

Square:
T35Bloc.jpg

I really dislike the SD design of the characters, they look liveless.
Why didn't they used the same models from DQ X Online is beyond me.

Now that the expansion is out I could see us getting it. Probably wanted to get all the content finished before localization could begin.
I'm not sure why they would wait. I can't see them giving westerners a significant discount

I will drop anything and everything for this game. I’m just waiting for the call! Hope this and III Remake will get more info soon.

Great, I've been wondering for a while if the expansion had already been released after it was delayed. It's surprisingly hard to find info about this game in english.

After the release we can more realistically start expecting them to announce the localization.

I completely forgot about this game. I was just thinking about how disappointing Dragon Quest has been as a franchise this generation after DQXI reinvigorated it, then this morning this thread made me realize it's because they're putting all of this effort into a game they still won't commit a Western release to.

I don't get why it's so hard for Square to say they're planning a Western release eventually.

I'm not sure why they would wait. I can't see them giving westerners a significant discount
I think the western version will just have the expansion included. The up isn't strong enough here to sell a big story expansion on its own. They'll just make the base game and expansion a single 60 dollar game to keep it simple.

Yeah, it’s really a shame that DQXI had so much success abroad and then…nothing. And I agree with @Chie, I think a single full priced SKU with the expansion included is what we’re getting outside of Japan, if anything.

Ever since the showcase where this was announced had regular DQX with the note "no plans for worldwide release" but then offline version didn't have that note, I've held on to hope, however faint, that a localization for this is in the works. But if it is, I don't really understand why they haven't announced it yet... In any case, I really want it!

Square Enix did self publish dq treasure on Switch themselves. First time they've done that in a while on a Nintendo console, presumably they will do that same for the Dai game and the 3 remake. If Square themselves aren't interested in bringing X west I could see Nintendo doing it for them at the very least. I'm optimistic for it.

Back
Top Bottom