• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Dragon Quest X Offline is coming to PS4/PS5/Steam/Switch on September 15th, 2022 in Japan (UPDATE: 3rd trailer, see threadmarks)

I swear, I think this was a mobile game of sorts. or a repurposed 3DS game

I personally like the look, I think it's very charming overall. I love how the environments look, they're doing some sort of retro 3D look with the paper trees and the pixelated textures that are reminiscing of the DS, I quite like it.

The character models though are kinda bad. They look fine from a distance, but when the camera zooms in they don't look good. They do look like they belong to some cheap phone game.

But I think the look is serviceable for a traditional DQ game, will be a nice old-school experience. The maps still seem very expansive, so I'm very excited to dive into that world.

How is it gonna work ? They are releasing only 1.0 at full price then they will add 2.0 as DLC ?

Quoted by: Leo
How is it gonna work ? They are releasing only 1.0 at full price then they will add 2.0 as DLC ?

In Japan yeah. In a possible localization, I think they would bundle them together. As for possible future DLC, I have no idea, they're gonna have to figure it out to bring the game over. I really don't know if it would be profitable to spend a lot of money on localizing huge amounts of text just for some DLC.

I personally like the look, I think it's very charming overall. I love how the environments look, they're doing some sort of retro 3D look with the paper trees and the pixelated textures that are reminiscing of the DS, I quite like it.

The character models though are kinda bad. They look fine from a distance, but when the camera zooms in they don't look good. They do look like they belong to some cheap phone game.

But I think the look is serviceable for a traditional DQ game, will be a nice old-school experience. The maps still seem very expansive, so I'm very excited to dive into that world.
they could have added some lighting effects to make up for the low poly-ness. the unlit look just isn't doing it any favors

like this tree for instance

Dragon-Quest-X-Rise-of-the-Five-Tribes-Offline_2021_12-22-21_005.jpg

This bump makes me sad. DQ11 I believe was a raging success in the west so I'm confused why they won't bring more games over. Hell give us updated 2DS/3DS ports on modern hardware. I want more Dragon Quest!!!

This bump makes me sad. DQ11 I believe was a raging success in the west so I'm confused why they won't bring more games over. Hell give us updated 2DS/3DS ports on modern hardware. I want more Dragon Quest!!!
To be fair, I don't think there's any harm in focusing on "home" at first, when it comes to something like DQX Offline. If that thing doesn't endear itself to Japanese fans first and foremost, they probably won't even bother with a localization.

The rest of the lot on the current slate of announced titles don't even have hard dates, yet. I see no reason to doubt the likes of DQ3HD coming over, at the very least.

Wasn’t DQ3HD announced as a worldwide release game? It was such a tease to show that game off, which looked far along and very very polished, and then go silent and release DQX first.

To be fair, I don't think there's any harm in focusing on "home" at first, when it comes to something like DQX Offline. If that thing doesn't endear itself to Japanese fans first and foremost, they probably won't even bother with a localization.

The rest of the lot on the current slate of announced titles don't even have hard dates, yet. I see no reason to doubt the likes of DQ3HD coming over, at the very least.
SE has been wanting to make DQ bigger in the west forever. waiting and seeing only hurts the brand in the long run

Wasn’t DQ3HD announced as a worldwide release game? It was such a tease to show that game off, which looked far along and very very polished, and then go silent and release DQX first.
nope

SE has been wanting to make DQ bigger in the west forever. waiting and seeing only hurts the brand in the long run
At the same time, I think that sentiment would be better reserved in the case there was more doubt for 3HD, or even worse XII (which has already been confirmed to launch simultaneously worldwide).

I'm willing to wait a bit longer for what I think is inevitable, especially if it means we get some of the DLC right out the box.

How big of a game is Dragon Quest X (with all the dlc) in comparison to Dragon Quest XI? I spent around 117 hours in DQ11.

Tbf the DQ3 trailer barely showed anything. The world map, a town, a dungeon a battle. So all we know the engine is done (and we don't need footage for that since it's the same engine as Octopath). I'm not sure DQ3 is far into development, it might be a 2023 game.

I think Nintendo will publish DQX on the west and pay for the localization. Nintendo want Dragon Quest to be a big RPG brand for them like Final Fantasy is for playstation, they have published all the main titles in the west since DQ9. So SE is probably waiting for Nintendo.

2022 is a stacked year in the Switch so I'm not sure Nintendo would bring DQ10 this year. Then again, If DQ3 is slated for next year, they might not want to have two DQ games in the same year, so they could release it earlier. But regardless, I'm 99% sure Nintendo will bring the game. They brought 7 and 8 on the 3DS when the brand wasn't as strong as it was now.

The year is 2021 and the uncertainty this will be localized is as palpable and plausible as when IV was released in the DS in 2007. 14 years have passed since then and it seems like nothing's changed. Being a Dragon Quest fan can be ridiculous and exhausting sometimes.

SE really said “we can’t make the effort to localize the MMO. Maybe we’ll make an offline version” only to make the Offline version and not localize it

I was taking a look at the pictures in the link, and noticed on the copyrights they don't listen Sugiyama's company anymore. I'm not sure that has always been the case for screenshots but I don't think so? Just thought it was interesting, since the game will still have Sugiyama's music. Maybe SE now owns the music again?
Can't have music in a still picture.

Tbf the DQ3 trailer barely showed anything. The world map, a town, a dungeon a battle. So all we know the engine is done (and we don't need footage for that since it's the same engine as Octopath). I'm not sure DQ3 is far into development, it might be a 2023 game.

I think Nintendo will publish DQX on the west and pay for the localization. Nintendo want Dragon Quest to be a big RPG brand for them like Final Fantasy is for playstation, they have published all the main titles in the west since DQ9. So SE is probably waiting for Nintendo.

2022 is a stacked year in the Switch so I'm not sure Nintendo would bring DQ10 this year. Then again, If DQ3 is slated for next year, they might not want to have two DQ games in the same year, so they could release it earlier. But regardless, I'm 99% sure Nintendo will bring the game. They brought 7 and 8 on the 3DS when the brand wasn't as strong as it was now.
We got 7 and 8 within about 6 or 7 months of each other on 3ds iirc. Also DQ11 and Builders 2 came out the same year.

yes

actually, yes...

At the same time, I think that sentiment would be better reserved in the case there was more doubt for 3HD, or even worse XII (which has already been confirmed to launch simultaneously worldwide).

I'm willing to wait a bit longer for what I think is inevitable, especially if it means we get some of the DLC right out the box.

3HD and XII are BOTH confirmed to be released worldwide simultaneously.

Please stop bumping this thread, this date isn't even accurate for Japan anymore.

I mean, they announced DQXII and DQIII HD-2D as worldwide simultaneous launches, right? So they need to give us Western DQ fans our good old “will this game ever release in the West” nostalgia in the form of DQXO. It’s only fitting.

This will be localised. Eventually. Just give it 28 years, give or take, and we will be able to play it with an official English translation for the first time when they remake it in UHD-2D.

I don't get this online/offline thing? Cna someone tell me what they mean?
DQX is a Japan only MMO (used to also be in China). DQX Offline is them remaking the game to fit in a single player experience, using an artistic style similar to older DQ games like DQIX, it’s kinda like a remake

Y'all better just start learning Japanese than wait for the localisation. You'll be fluent in Japanese by the time we get this in the rest of the world.

Depends, an english sheet will come first for sure but a patch I wouldn't expect it
I know a few jrpgs with pc ports have gotten patches that weren't in english. Not sure if pc would be easier than the other ports as most major dq games have gotten translation sans theatryhtm dragon quest and the mystery dungeon games the former which isn't needed really.

I know a few jrpgs with pc ports have gotten patches that weren't in english. Not sure if pc would be easier than the other ports as most major dq games have gotten translation sans theatryhtm dragon quest and the mystery dungeon games the former which isn't needed really.
Is more because patches take a lot of time and effort to make so it doesn't make sense to make one if this game is coming to the West in 2023/2024, a sheet that live translates the game is quicker and easier to make so the community will probably go for that route while waiting for the official release.

Is more because patches take a lot of time and effort to make so it doesn't make sense to make one if this game is coming to the West in 2023/2024, a sheet that live translates the game is quicker and easier to make so the community will probably go for that route while waiting for the official release.
My reasoning is who is to say we get an official release as i think theirs been no indication it's in the cards

My reasoning is who is to say we get an official release as i think theirs been no indication it's in the cards
All games planned to be JP only had a disclaimer saying it would be JP only , DQX Offline didnt have such disclaimer. SE is probably waiting for all expansions to be released in Japan before releasing the game on the West to have a complete package they can sell (right now at release it will not be complete)

Back
Top Bottom