• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Dragon Quest X Offline is coming to PS4/PS5/Steam/Switch on September 15th, 2022 in Japan (UPDATE: 3rd trailer, see threadmarks)

It seems that version 2 of the online version will be available as a DLC after launch.

k8vOqWI.png

I would absolutely love to play this lol please Square

So dumb that they seem to not even be sure if it'll get localized someday when the first time they ever mentionned the possibility of an offline version, years ago, was specifically so that people in the west could experience Dragon Quest X.

On Switch specifically. It's been released in the west on every other platform.

Which makes the lack of the western switch version all the more baffling tbh.

It was one of the first 32gb cartridge games, I thought that was the reason for not bringing it to the west (production of such cartridges was really expensive).

Dragon Quest X will come to the west.

I'm confident this one will release in the west, since Steam is practically inexistent in Japan its being done for the west.

It was one of the first 32gb cartridge games, I thought that was the reason for not bringing it to the west (production of such cartridges was really expensive).

Dragon Quest X will come to the west.
It could be released digitally. Also I'm pretty sure there have been other games now released on 32GB cards. TW3 being one of them.

I'm assuming they just assumed there's no demand and forgot about it.

It's a huge shame this isnt bound for territories that didn't get the original DQ X. I'm not big on MMOs so this offline version would've been my preferred method to play this game too.

It could be released digitally. Also I'm pretty sure there have been other games now released on 32GB cards. TW3 being one of them.

I'm assuming they just assumed there's no demand and forgot about it.

I’m sure they were thinking about bringing them now to the west (there were even some rating boards or placement holders IIRC?) but this was a launch game in Japan, has been out on PS and Steam for many years and maybe thought it was not profitable to bring them even digitally (be it for the localisation cost or thinking there was no demand as you said).

I'm confident this one will release in the west, since Steam is practically inexistent in Japan its being done for the west.
Especially since Dragon Quest X Online, while on PC, is not available on Steam. I have a good feeling about this coming in the West now that it's confirmed for Steam as well.

Would love to have this localized. I’m not really sure how much of the online content this is based off of, so no clue how long that process might take. After watching that I also would like to see at least an upresed version of 9 released so the online features aren’t gone forever (though I did spoof the DQVC via someone’s router they set up to get the extra missions and the birthday items).

If they don't localise this, I'll eat my amiibo collection.

I can’t believe in 2021 Square Enix is STILL announcing Dragon Quest games for Japan and not confirming a Western release at all.

Curious about what this means for Dragon Quest 3 Remake, which is definitely what I'm most interested in. Could end up being 2023 internationally. This might tide me over, though, assuming it gets an international release.

I hope this gets localized in a timely manner. I wouldn’t mind more of this in the future either, not big on MMOs.

I have no experience with the original, so I could very much be talking out my arse, but it still strikes me as odd they completely changed the look of this game for the offline version because I would have thought that would be more work than just working with the original assets and removing the online parts.

Yeah, I agree that this needs to get localized already.

Would absolutely love to play this someday.

I'm glad this is likely getting localized, but I'll be honest - I'll probably skip playing it. It's simply not the same game as DQX, and I'll likely just play through the JP version on a sub whenever I catch up in FFXI.

Really hope this is localized. I'm sure many of us are in the same boat where it's the only numbered title we haven't played.

If this isn't going to get localized I wish SE would just say so. I don't like having to play this game of guessing whether or not a game will get localized or not and waiting years to play it, as someone who can make it through Japanese games with some work but would greatly prefer to play them in English.

so it's launching with the same content as dq10 had at launch, and expansions are paid dlc?
...good luck?

...If they're really going this route - charging more-or-less full price for each xpac in Offline - it does make me wonder what's the point of not releasing the MMO itself. Would a sub fee really be that much more of a hindrance to sales?

I guess with the current global silicon shortage, and the fact that they're struggling for XIV servers atm, things might be a bit different...

...If they're really going this route - charging more-or-less full price for each xpac in Offline - it does make me wonder what's the point of not releasing the MMO itself. Would a sub fee really be that much more of a hindrance to sales?

I guess with the current global silicon shortage, and the fact that they're struggling for XIV servers atm, things might be a bit different..

If you look at how DQX sold in Japan compared to the other mainline games then yeah it appears to be a big hindrance. Doing this offline game also allows them to sell DQX to a massive audience in Japan that won't have played an MMO.

To be fair I think that's basically the equivalent of a full single player DQ game anyway.
i kinda assumed it's gonna be the whole package, but yeah you're right, each expansion has a LOT of content so it wasn't very realistic to expect it to be DQ11 up to date in its entirety, that would be an insane amount of content.

i'm curious what their expectations are for this, both is japan and rotw. to me it seems like this project is going to have a very small target audience, even smaller than DQ usually has outside of japan.

I guess with the current global silicon shortage, and the fact that they're struggling for XIV servers atm, things might be a bit different...

Hosting servers and everything related to MMOs is far, far more expensive than doing it this way.

Game looks cute. It's probably loads better than 11 (which I didn't like). Shame we have no localization confirmed for this, I hope Nintendo picks it up.

Absolutely did not expect to see Steam included for platforms, and find myself agreeing with the sentiment of it making a localization seem much more feasible. Obviously would be great to see something more definitive, but I'll happily accept continued signs of life given that I'd largely shelved the idea of getting to play this particular Dragon Quest entry.

Yeah, I was sure this was coming west when they announced it and I'm still confident it will make it. All games from the Anniversary Stream that are coming west will launch worldwide simultaneously. That's probably not the case here, or otherwise they would have announced it like with the other games, but I hope we will get it still in 2022.

I'm there as soon as they release it over here. Also hoping for plenty of PC customization options.

Man, this just…does not look good.

I’m still hoping for a localization, but if you had told me this started life as a 3DS port I wouldn’t bat an eye.

If this comes to the USA then I'll definitely buy it. Loved DQ11 and I've been sad that none of the other 3D games in the mainline series is available on modern consoles (not including Builders/Heroes).

I seem to be the odd one out, but I really love the looks of this. I don't particularly care for DQX or the DQX MMO experience, so whether this captures that experience is not really of any importance to me. I just love how this appears to be a new, full-fledged traditional DQ. As lovely as DQXI is there's to me just something that gets lost when transitioning to the more detailed 3rd person style.

I'm not particularly hopeful this will see a localization though. It just seems incredibly niche and the amount of text likely quite enormous. I know that they've made comments in the past about how an offline version of DQX might be considered for western markets, but the actual end product appears to be tailor made for the part of the Japanese fan base that doesn't care for or doesn't have the time to play an MMO.

Back
Top Bottom