• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Dragon Quest Treasures coming to Nintendo Switch on December 9 (UPDATE: new overview trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
DQ almost always sells a lot more on Nintendo platforms than in Sony ones, it's easy for Nintendo get exclusivity of the titles just like Sony with FF. Especially for a 'Monster' title that have always been exclusive to Nintendo hardware. It will probably release in other platforms in 9-12 months like most 3rd party Nintendo exclusives or other platforms will get announced in couple of days/weeks if there is no exclusivity.
I don't think NIntendo spent any money on this. the game is published by SE in the west

I don't think NIntendo spent any money on this. the game is published by SE in the west
MH:Rise was also not published by Nintendo in the West, I know that they published past DQ games but that seems the be from a pre-Switch launch agreement. DQ is a much bigger game than Team Asano games so SE doesnt need Nintendo to carry them marketing wise so they publish themselves the games to get a bigger cut of revenue.

Monster Hunter is definitely bigger than DQ and can stand on its own feet. DQ struggled when Nintendo hasn't had a hand in the game. Asano games have had way better pacing than DQ11 did, so I can't agree with that. SE never needed Nintendo, they just needed to do the work.

that said, Treasures is a lower tier title, best not to expect much from it

Monster Hunter is definitely bigger than DQ and can stand on its own feet. DQ struggled when Nintendo hasn't had a hand in the game. Asano games have had way better pacing than DQ11 did, so I can't agree with that. SE never needed Nintendo, they just needed to do the work.

that said, Treasures is a lower tier title, best not to expect much from it
SE doesn't even make the RPG Studio games (the most budget games they make) exclusive to Switch, there has to be some money or marketing deal by Nintendo to justify making DQ Treasures a Switch exclusive, even DQX Offline is multiplatform and that is JP only atm

I love DQ and want to support it but I really have no idea what to think about this. Very hard to get a read on the gameplay loop.

Running around to find treasures sounds dull, but it’s certainly going to be more than that. It talks about expanding your base - I wonder how fleshed out the base building is…

I got some Digimon World vibes, it seems you don't control the monsters directly but just give orders, and they mentioned base building which could mean you recruit monsters to populate your base

and all of that just makes me go nnngghhhh <3

Nice that this is making its way to the west!!

Erik looks so much like DQVI’s hero.
Big DQ Monsters 1 vibe with both games featuring child versions of 2 siblings from a mainline game (though Mireille was not playable in DQM)

81MvkmVjaiL.jpg

Erik looks like a fusion of Hero and Terry from DQ6

Cant wait to see more of this game, i think its gonna surprise people quite a bit and is gonna reach people outside of the regular DQ fanbase.

It looks like Tose is the developer.
I know DQ Monsters exists as prior art, but with the dual-protagonists and Tose as the developer, I'm getting real World of Final Fantasy vibes from this. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing since that's the best non-remake FF game on PS4 that isn't XIV ;)

Im getting more and more excited by this game. Initially I was just disappointed that it wasn't DQ Monsters, but I think it will end up scratching the Monsters itch and bringing something new on top of it. It has the potential to be addictive and unique like the Builders games.

Looks cool but why the hell is a 3DS/Vita looking game running this bad on Switch.
Really hope the launch version is greatly improved cuz there's no reason for it to run this bad. I'd rather this gets delayed. Also I hope we can unlock some outfits, I wanna play as Terry.

Tose worked on DWM 1, 2, Joker 1 & 2, and Terry’s Wonderland 3D (DWM 1 3DS remake) and Rocket Slime DS

I expect this to be a solid game now (DQ spin-offs are always a bunch of fun)
More than that actually, they've likely worked on more DQ titles than any other external contractor including GBC/Wii/mobile DQI-III, DQM Caravan Heart, Joker 3, DQM2 3DS, DQMI&II PS1, DQVII-IX (sound), Slime Morimori 1&3, DQVIII mobile, Itadaki Street DS/Wii/30th, DQXI/S (support), DQ Wars, DQ Rivals/Ace and probably more I'm forgetting. The only dev who's worked on more DQ games is Armor Project.

Don't think I've seen this posted yet, so here we go

There's some interesting stuff here, like a hint for some sort of combo system with the combat (which'll hopefully elevate it past the standard action JRPG fare). Game looks somewhat intriguing, but I'll really need to see more to make any sort of judgement on it. There's a lot that seems like it could go poorly

That boxart is chefskiss.
I had secretly hoped this isn't a €60 game, but hopefully it will be worth the price tag.

FF7R has a very obvious reason at least
Unless it's moneyhatted, there's no reason for Square to not bring it to Xbox. (it is moneyhatted)

But, as I said, Square's platform choices not always make sense. Another example is Tactics Ogre Reborn, also skipping Xbox. Which should be a disappointing news for Xbox owners after the Chrono Cross release.

I hope the monster selection is decent. Base Joker 3’s was mostly recolors, but J3 Pro fixed some of it.

Square is one of the rare publishers left making platform exclusives for no particular reason. Switch gets Harvestella and DQ Treasures while PS gets FF7 remake and Valkyrie Elysium.
Nintendo paid* for DQTreasures almost for sure considering it’s not coming to PC day 1 compared to Harvestella that it is but it’s skipping PS4/XboxOne probably due the audience reasons. DQ in the West has almost always associated with Nintendo just like FF with Sony and in Japan Switch dominates, so it is easy for Nintendo to get deals for DQ games and Nintendo has always wanted DQ as a exclusive game for their systems due to how big it is in Japan, even during the N64 days they pushed for it but N64DD flopped so DQVII moved to PS1.

*could be just marketing help

I really liked Erik and Mia's story in DQXI, and DQ spinoffs are usually pretty great, so I'm looking forward to this.

I'm happy they're ditching the generic 3D render covers for the west, Toriyama'd art is unparalleled. Was already planning to go physical, but now it's an obligation.

Really looking forward to this, seems like a cosy game for the winter, I like the cute DQ monsters.

This last traile picked up my interest. Def. going to get it. Also it seems in the west we are loosing the subtitle (the blue eyes and the compass of the sky)
Yeah I guess they wanted it to be more straight forward.

Day 1 instabuy, long have I waited for a game that felt like a new Dragon Quest Monsters and this definitely does that + more. brings me back to simpler times and I love it that the art style has stayed intact.

That was definitely a story trailer by the looks of it. Game seems to open like the OG DWM too lol, getting transported to an entirely different world

Day 1 for me, DQ 11s was my first Dragon quest and now everything in the series is a day 1 buy. Was hoping to heard about the DQ3 remake at TGS but will just have to be patient for next year now!

Better and better, I've seen more than enough. Can't wait! To think this is what they came up with after having to start over, the next Dragon Quest Monsters might have a tough job to top this.

I am not even a fan of Dragon Quest series, but if anything, the team behind them are masters of creating good-feel moments through the UI interface.

If Sakurai makes a video about this concept, I am sure he will portrait DQ as an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom