• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Does Nintendo's fan base ever piss you off in terms of their buying habits?

I blame Nintendo for No new F-Zero rather than the fans

idk what did they expect from GX in a pathetically low sale numbers and playerbase the GameCube had
I feel like I never really had a chance showing my love for the franchise because I only found out about the series by playing F-Zero X on an emulator in 2007, years after F-Zero GX flopped.
I feel like a properly executed online with good modes, like they could bring back Death Race could work in modern times.
But they never even tried that because the series has been dormant since before Online on consoles got really big.
If they work on the character designs I could see it have potential.
Maybe it doesn't have enough Waifus comapred to Fire Emblem, but there's already over 30 racers, they could just make more characters.
They could do what they tried with Maximum Velocity with a next generation of drivers, with some classics returning and then if it does well they could bring back more of the old ones.

F-Zero Driver Gacha there I said it.

Last edited:
The hardware helps. I remember buying a lot of games on DS, including franchises that were brand new to me at the time including Zelda, Kirby, Mario, Pokemon (I was like 10, lol) because I loved the device and it was a given that I would play it. Now on Switch I've bought Xenoblade, Metroid and I'd gladly buy an F-Zero.

Nintendo pls

No, only my own buying habbits pisses me off.

40+ unplayed switch games, why oh why
The sad thing is, I'm always thinking about dialing back my buying, but then I see a nice collectors edition or a good deal and have two games more for the backlog anyway.
I won't buy Xenoblade 3 on release though, cause I'm still not done with 1, still want to get though 2 and Torna, the collectors edition is kinda basic and seems rushed with how it distributed and by the time I'm done with the rest of the games 3 is gonna be much cheaper.
But that only works for so long.
And then there's those nice eshop sales inbetween.
Or I get an ebay notifcation and suddenly I bought Splatoon 2 for 20€.
And I mean that was a good investment, because I already finished the main story, put some time into the online and the Octo Expansion is now in the Expansion Pass so I definitely got my moneys worth.
But that doesn't always happen because I don't wanna have 20 games I played for like an hour, I wanna take my time with each game.

I don’t think that the low sales of F-Zero GX are the reason why we haven’t got any new game, It’s more Nintendo not having any team for it and not being a priority for Nintendo due not really expanding their lineup of games, we will probably have to wait for a team (infernal or external) to pitch an idea Nintendo likes.
I would say it’s a combination of things that ultimately have done in F-Zero & continue to do F-Zero in. I’m also skeptical of a team even wanting to do F-Zero now & the foreseeable future.

No. I don’t care what games folks choose to spend their money on.

It’s their money, all I hope is that they don’t feel like they wasted it.

As for me. I have been spending a bit more on games then usual but that was due to the pendemic where I spent so much time inside that i just bought a bunch of stuff on sale in hopes of playing and beating them. Which I have in some spaces.

In the grand scheme of things, I find people not buying specific games, even those I like, in droves neglectable. Nintendo fan is also kind of a meaningless term. Some call themselves that, yet only really play Mario and Zelda.

Hypocrisy and revisionism
Elitism and gatekeeping
Downplaying concerns of representation
Things like these are more important (or infuriating) and aren't exclusive to the Nintendo fanbase.

What actually did piss me of was when I saw Gene Park respond to someone on Twitter, who said Sony had nothing for 2021, that Nintendo hadn't either, despite the fact that the year was packed, but I guess only blockbusters count. Kind of ironic in retrospect, since the recent talking point seems to be that Sony and MS should invest into smaller games, so their line-up isn't completely empty if they have to delay their AAA productions.

The truth is that a lot of why things pan out this way for some franchises is 1 part happenstance, 1 part regional offices back in the day not understanding the appeal, 1 part brand stagnation, 1 part crap marketing and 1 part poor internal advocacy, more often than not.

Like, look at Star Fox. It had a great game made by a great team on its first go, which was followed up by another game from a whole different team and design philosophy which turned out to be a universal improvement (except in soundtrack, but that's just me talking). Then it got jostled around for years as few people inside Nintendo were advocating for more Star Fox games, including tossing a new genre onto the IP. First it went to Rare, who made a technically-impressive game but not really a Star Fox game, then to Namco who made half of a good game and half a nauseating slog, then a turn-based hybrid game with no regard for narrative that divided the games dwindling fanbase. And then, finally, a poorly-received reboot of SF64 that didn't add enough to the franchise to make it worthwhile (and even took things away, like competitive multiplayer that helped propel SF64 to the best-selling game in the series). No matter how much you like the franchise, it's impossible not to see why things are as they are. The only explanation is that the franchise has no advocate and that means few to no new ideas. And I really don't think there's no way forward for "Animal Space Opera", as I call it. The genre this series is in primarily due to its narrative is frankly poorly explored for all its gameplay opportunities; for example and comparison, pulling from other names in the genre, Star Wars would be pretty damn boring if the entire trilogy only consisted on the Battle of Hoth.

Overall, Metroid has had far more success than Star Fox at keeping a fanbase (even if it hasn't grown much), but it had also suffered from a single person being the series' primary advocate within Nintendo.

When you look at most of the series that have languished, they all suffer from some combination of the problems I noted above and, in order for these series to survive, these deficits or challenges will need to be overcome. And that's not on the fanbase.

There's another element that strikes me about the overall game purchasing situation here. In many cases, top-selling media is, shall we say, not exactly of the highest quality, simply just not all that good, whereas so much of what tops the charts as far as Nintendo is concerned does tend to be highly regarded for its quality. It still tends toward high accessibility without much to scare people off, but it's actually good.

When we have this wide range of quality options, obviously not all it it can be mega sellers; some of it will receive less attention. It's unfortunate, but this is how things tend to work. Again, consider these purchases as the industry in microcosm, but consider how these options are all highly regarded as well, by both enthusiasts and the more casual gaming population at large.

And I can't begrudge that too terribly. I recognize the overall quality at play, and these massive sales help allow the funding of these less bought, but every bit as or more deserving, games. It's one of the benefits of Nintendo as a platform holder, too, that the company has both impetus and flexibility to add these to its selection.

Not enough talk of Pikmin in this thread. Not nearly enough.
Pikmin is an interesting case here: truly a brilliant series, with all the charm and cute visual appeal to settle right in with what one might expect from a top Nintendo franchise, but involving different elements that might put people off, whether that be time limits or the RTS-lite format. That said, I have known people on the less-enthusiast end of the gaming spectrum who played and loved the games on Gamecube, and I maintain that the series could push its way into a higher echelon (though there are a number of Nintendo franchises I suspect could manage that, even if the chances of reaching the highest peaks are lower).

It's definitely one that, depending on series handling going forward, I could see becoming bigger. It also feels like bringing the earlier games to Switch should be a no-brainer, but what do I know?

Frantically typing and backspacing a joke that doesn’t piss off all 6 Chibi-Robo fans
Chibi-Robo! is another one that I think really could find an audience, though just how big it can get is another question.
Chibi-Robo! as developed by From Software, the Bright Souls of the franchise, truly the summer of our high content.
If it counts? I suppose one thing I'll always have a bit of resentment reserved for is how the proponents of Operation Rainfall at the time never rallied to include Zangeki no Reginleiv, when the opportunity was there.

Another time, another place, Nintendo could have had its own ongoing, exclusive "EDF-like" franchise, just with demons and swords instead of aliens and giant insects!
Oh, yes, the loss of Zangeki no Reginleiv is unfortunate, and I really wish that game had been given a chance. It'd be vastly different from the bulk of Nintendo's offering and, being more of a niche style, different from the bulk of everything else, really. I can see, though, why it might not have been included in those particular fan efforts, given it would be perceived as markedly different from that group of games (as vastly different as they all were among themselves), and even those barely made it, but one has to wonder what might have been.
Freyja for Smash, of course.
I don’t think that the low sales of F-Zero GX are the reason why we haven’t got any new game, It’s more Nintendo not having any team for it and not being a priority for Nintendo due not really expanding their lineup of games, we will probably have to wait for a team (infernal or external) to pitch an idea Nintendo likes.
Truly, higher sales might bump something up the priority list, but the lack of a team to make F-Zero isn't a helpful aspect. It's possible Nintendo could find a team to develop the game, if such an interest were pushed, or that an outside team could pitch a proposal even Nintendo can't refuse. In any case, I also think the long gap before a brand new console Mario Kart title would present a brilliant opportunity to bring forth a new F-Zero. If there were interest to create one of those.
I've suggested an F-Zero Hyper-Stylish Racing Action Game from Platinum Games a number of times now, and, while there's a degree of joking to that, I'm also curious what such a thing would look like.
And I really don't think there's no way forward for "Animal Space Opera", as I call it. The genre this series is in primarily due to its narrative is frankly poorly explored for all its gameplay opportunities; for example and comparison, pulling from other names in the genre, Star Wars would be pretty damn boring if the entire trilogy only consisted on the Battle of Hoth.
It's easy to see ways forward for Star Fox. A most basic option would be to look at its inspirations and the possibilities of that sort of storytelling, which -- without vastly altering gameplay genre -- easily leads to something akin to the structure of Kid Icarus: Uprising. And it's no surprise to consider that Sakurai had considered developing that as a Star Fox title; it would have fit perfectly, really, though I applaud the resurrection of Kid Icarus as well. That's just a basic possibility, really. But inclusion of multiplayer seems a rather obvious choice, as well.

Most Metroidvanias are half the cost of a full retail game, if not even less than that. Have any Metroidvanias even sold 5+ million?
As an enthusiast community, we tend over overrepresent the reach of various games. Take Xenoblade, for example, which, while undoubtedly a massive success story, isn't necessarily the absolute juggernaut we tend to present it as (at least thus far). While I'm having some issues dredging up numbers, Xenoblade 2 reportedly hit just over two million sales in three years, surpassed by Dread in less than half of one.

In early 2019 -- roughly three years ago! -- Hollow Knight had reportedly sold 2.8 million copies. That game is an incredible hit within the genre (and for good reason), sold across a wide array of systems, and for a ridiculously cheap price. In a matter of months -- and at full price! -- Dread sold that same amount. The game has done actually really well so far. We're just, in an overestimation of the genre as a whole, comparing it to the mega-sellers.

If we're going to expect Metroid to blast through the perceived limits of the genre, I would suggest the most likely chance of that happening would be in the 3D-space, and I would suggest these higher figures could be achieved while retaining those elements its own fanbase holds important --yes, even to the extent of releasing it both moody and atmospheric, even horroresque.

But we shouldn't expect it to reach the highest hights of sales, in comparison to the top sellers, and that's likely where much discontent originates.
Sorry that’s just the way I feel. I loved the lore and material found within the first game but ever since it’s been slim pickings. I don’t think the gameplay is that enthralling to me that it can cover a lot of these areas.

I don’t think what I suggested is even remotely close to what fans call a loss of identity or reinventing the wheel. Also miss me on not caring or even liking the series in the first place. I wanna feel excited for this series but I’m not getting my hopes up.
As noted earlier, it's hard to get a read on both what you mean by your suggestions and what you consider part of the core of the series. Your suggestions could be read very broadly to where they don't all necessarily conflict with what many perceive to be that essence, but a lot of context surrounding them and the way they're written seems to indicate otherwise.

For instance, you seem to place a lot of your impression on the idea of "power armored individuals," [1] being "a first person game with a gun," [2] and the incredibly broad generalization of fitting into the "-vania" segment of games [3] (Note: "-vania" refers specifically back to the Castlevania part of the equation, wherein the general elements you point to originate, from back when the term referred to Castlevanias inspired by Metroid), all while suggesting that moody, atmospheric, and horroresque -- an actually rather broad set of attributes if you want it to be -- is too narrow[4]. The broad discussion on character and story and worldbuilding seems incredibly plot-centric in a way that might not befit the series, but fits in with these other games.

It's not that certain elements you propose can't be done while retaining what might be considered the core, but rather that the way you present them seems to indicate you have no interest in that. Updating the controls, movement and combat options, for instance, doesn't necessarily need to refer to other games for discussion, and we can generally assume these will probably be updated regardless.

So, again, it would likely be incredibly helpful to the discourse if your views on Metroid as a series and what its identity is, as well as what exactly you're trying to propose and how it fits in with those parameters, could be expounded upon. Especially since you insist anyone who disagrees with your vague assessment, however it might read to them in its presentation, is being unreasonable an unworthy of your "faith."[5]

They have examples from two recent power armored individuals on how to make that interesting as well.
It’s a first person game with a gun so it will be compared to FPS whether that is fair or not. If Metroid is going to not learn what other FPS have done in the last century then it will hurt in sales.
Nothing about what I suggested is fundamentally changing small fanbase or not. Other -vania games are able to have npcs, world building, & characterization. Gameplay is take it or leave it but can still be improved regardless of version.
The fact that we are hyper focusing on the genre including really specific modifiers should say it all really.
None of these should seem controversial, change setting, or even genre/gameplay. However, the fanbase seems highly resistant to such ideas because to put it frankly “reasons.” If they consider these “compromises” then I don’t have much faith in the fanbase.

Because -- and this might not be the case! -- the current state of discussion does read more as not caring about the series for what it is and possibly wanting it to be more like other things it is not. So, again, it would just be nice to have a better view of your thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom