• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Do you think Nintendo is done adding to the NSO base sub after Expansion releases?

It makes no difference to me which tier the GameBoy platforms hypothetically release under, but I think it makes more sense to have it be under the expansion as they do need to justify the price (and I'm sure we've not seen the full roll out of content beyond the 3 already shared).

I will be pissed if they only keep adding to the expansion from now on.

I will also be pissed if GB/C is base, but GBA is expansion. But at some point, that would make the 40€/year be worth it. Even though I'm not willing to spend that much.

Not before the Game Boy/GameCube treatment for the very low price of 100$/year.

But you'll have awesome third party games such as [Last Summit]. :lol

Hopefully when Switch 2 comes out all the systems and games that are already available through Switch online are already in place rather than having to wait for them to be added throughout the generation again.

Undoubtedly. Base tier is over. Second tier will probably get the GameBoy family soon if upgrade rates are low.

Yeah, I originally thought they'd add Game Boy to the base tier as a kind of consolation prize but after seeing the price tag for expansion pack I very much doubt base is getting any new systems. On the other hand, I now think there's a much better chance that when Game Boy does come that it'll come with Pokémon. I adore a lot of Game Boy games but I have to acknowledge that the impact of, say, Alleyway to subscription growth is pretty low, which is why I thought it made sense for it to stick to the base tier rather than lean on it for a premium tier. Pokémon changes that entire equation though.

I think they should add gb and gba to base sub and the rest for expansion. I'll be perfectly satisfied.

I think if they already had GB/GBC games on the NSO base plan and announced that GBA games were coming to the expansion pass in early 2022 or something like that, there would be a lot more excitement around the whole thing

They’re waiting on Pokémon Company to let them put mainline Pokémon games on the service.

GB and GBC with Pokémon? I’ll be sold, especially Once GBA comes and we get Gen 3 🤗

I think they’ll add some NES and SNES games, but I would think any new systems will only be in the Expansion Pack.

I can see Nintendo alternating between both tiers when adding games such as one month will be NES & SNES, and the next being N64 & Genesis, then switching back to NES & SNES the following month. However any additional systems or perks will be added to the Expansion Pack.

This is just supposition on my part, but the Animal Crossing DLC being part of the announcement tells me that part of the price is getting access to Nintendo DLC through subscription rather than paying for it outright. They're opting for a renewable revenue stream through NSO as an option in lieu of a one-time payment. It would seem weird for Happy Home Paradise to be the only DLC provided through NSO, is what I'm saying, so I think it's going to act like a DLC pass.

I wish you could just pick console's as your own expansion pack, and then just have a cheaper all in price. Like if you just want to add in GBA games you could pay an extra $10 a year or something. If you want everything you just pay the extra $30.

I want to believe Game Boy will mostly be part of the base sub while certain games (AKA Pokemon) will be Expansion Pack only.

It'll probably be Expansion Pass only at this rate.

I wish you could just pick console's as your own expansion pack, and then just have a cheaper all in price. Like if you just want to add in GBA games you could pay an extra $10 a year or something. If you want everything you just pay the extra $30.
That would likely lead to some consoles (and their licensors) getting less money than others, so that was likely never a realistic option if Nintendo intends to keep adding systems from third-parties.

That would likely lead to some consoles (and their licensors) getting less money than others, so that was likely never a realistic option if Nintendo intends to keep adding systems from third-parties.
Don't disagree, but maybe they SHOULD focus on what people want to play. Like if more people actually want say GBA games over Genesis games is that a bad thing? Let people play what they want to play?

I understand the underlying business issue though.

I could see Game Boy and maybe Master System (depending on how much Sega wants for it). Other than that, probably the next Battle Royale and that’s it.

Whether base tier gets GameBoy depends entirely on if Pokemon is included or not. I have trouble imagining they wouldn’t use Pokemon as a reason to upgrade to the premium tier - or maybe introduce a mid-tier.

All the GameBoy systems really ride a lot on their third party backlogs and I could see them using Expansion Pack to leverage the licensing costs.

They will keep adding NES/SNES games, including heavy hitters such as EarthBound. But I believe future platforms such as Game Boy will be a part of the Expansion Pack.

I think Gameboy games will be added to the normal subscription.

The expansion will probably get Neo Geo, Master System, Turbographs,... I wouldn't be surprised if they added GBA games here too.

They only ever promised NES and SNES for the base tier. That's why many were doubting that more consoles would even come to Switch.

It's all going to the expansion pack now. It'll be about bringing more and more value to that tier. (While still adding NES and SNES games to the base tier)

Back
Top Bottom